PDA

View Full Version : Need your tire opinion!

sugarrey
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Yes, another tire thread.

99 R1

Which tire would be best for my application?

Bridgestone BT016
Michelin 2CT
Pirelli Corsa 3
Other?

65% canyon (fairly aggressive)
35% street

MikeG
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
PP 2CT
I've also thought about trying out the Diablo Rosso

rybo
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
all of the above are great choices, you can't go wrong. Go with the one you can find the best price on.

s

CaneZach
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM
The Corsas will probably run you around $400.
the Michelins will run you $315.
the B-stones will run you $260.

Now ask yourself, are you good enough of a rider to actually warrant whatever advances the two more expensive tires could possibly give you over the less-expensive Battlaxes? I notice your time is divided between canyon-carving and street riding, but no track time, where the benefits of the other tires would be more beneficial. If you're sticking to street riding, I don't think you even need anything higher than the Stones which are already EXCEPTIONAL tires.

You're riding the canyons fairly aggressively? I ride what I consider to be VERY aggressively and the BT-016's have held up INCREDIBLY well. I've never slid them and they've never gotten greasy on me, and I've leaned my bike over so far that my toe sliders have been ground off. I'll run the Stones again in a heartbeat.

I guess, for me at least, the bottom line is that you're asking about some tires that you will never come close to exceeding their limitations, and that goes for the basic B-stones even. Dare I say 99.9% of the people on this board aren't fast enough or hard enough on their tires to warrant a more aggressive tire. To be honest, we could all probably run a sport touring tire like the Pilot Roads and still have more than enough grip to get us through any type of road we could throw at them. Ultimately, it's your call and the most important thing is having faith in your rubber, so pick one you know will keep you in touch with the roadway.

MikeG
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 12:13 AM
If you're still in the Lakewood area, try check out Let it Ride (Colfax and Carr) I went by there a week or two ago to check it out, and their tire prices were pretty low.

DavidofColorado
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I love how you are back on the horse after tackling your bike problems. But like I told you Jim at TFOG will set you up with some good tires at a low price (hopefully). Don't be afraid to offer cash, sexual favors or guns in trade.

Bueller
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Same olod question, same answer. Which ever one is cheapest.

sugarrey
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 06:01 AM
If you're still in the Lakewood area, try check out Let it Ride (Colfax and Carr) I went by there a week or two ago to check it out, and their tire prices were pretty low.

Will tread down there today.

I love how you are back on the horse after tackling your bike problems. But like I told you Jim at TFOG will set you up with some good tires at a low price (hopefully). Don't be afraid to offer cash, sexual favors or guns in trade.

Hey David, how u doing? Already talking with TFOG and DK and have my sexual favors on tap (keeping my guns though)

Same olod question, same answer. Which ever one is cheapest.

Ok Dad, sorry for asking :scream1: :)

And as for CANE ZACH - great post bud. Being that the tires are really the life-line I figured I needed something real sticky. Plus I like to have that confidence that I can go into a corner and really lay it on hard. But realistically my "hard" would be considered "soft" to the more advance riders on here.
I am not a racer and at this time don't plan on going to the track (not to race, just to ride around). So your comments are well taken. Last question, those bridgestones work good in the mud?

BHeth
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I agree with everything CaneZach wrote.

brennahm
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 06:23 AM
We rode together man, I was running the BT-016's. Good tire. I still PREFER the PP's, but there you go...

Bueller
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Ok Dad, sorry for asking :scream1: :)

You asked, you got my opinion.

I run race take offs @ ~$50 a set.

I rode PMI on my TLS on Pilot Roads, I pushed until the rear stepped out a bit and then I knew how far to push.
Never slid them in the canyons and they handled 2up fairly aggressive riding very well.

There is way too much hype surrounding tires and how they can make you a super star!

sugarrey
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I agree with everything CaneZach wrote.

Yeah, me too

We rode together man, I was running the BT-016's. Good tire. I still PREFER the PP's, but there you go...

What did you feel different between the two?

You asked, you got my opinion.

I run race take offs @ ~$50 a set.

I rode PMI on my TLS on Pilot Roads, I pushed until the rear stepped out a bit and then I knew how far to push.
Never slid them in the canyons and they handled 2up fairly aggressive riding very well.

There is way too much hype surrounding tires and how they can make you a super star!

I value your opinion mister. I am starting to understand the hype!

BHeth
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Yeah, me too

Sorry man. It took me like 10 minutes to post my one sentence. Your post beat mine or I would have already read that you agreed as well and my redundant post could have been skipped. :drink:

Gotta like the race take-off idea, especially for us dudes on a budget. Also, my nephew has ordered 2 used tires off ebay that have been really primo deals. I looked for the store, but they don't seem to be out there anymore.

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I've said in other similar threads that I really like the Michelin Pilot Road 2. They have great tread life for commuting but are dual compound so you have stickier edges. I know a lot of people have settled on using a Pilot Power front and a Pilot Road 2 rear.

Unless you'll be riding in cooler (50-ish) temperatures, I don't see any real advantage of the Pilot Power 2CT over the regular Pilot Power. The 2CTs will wear faster and when the temperature gets hot, they get kind of slippery. I was running them at PMP once last year when it was 95 degrees out and the rear was sliding around quite a bit.

Dirk

Matty
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM
ridden all three you are in question of. Corsa III's are one of my favorite tires. The way they're shaped, their warm-up time, and how sticky they are. However, they don't last nearly as long as say the BT016s. Which are what i'm currently riding on the new bike. I'll tell ya those things hold really well. Looks like they'll last a pretty good length of time as well. I'm assuming it has a lot to do with the triple compound in the rear and dual in the front. As for the 2cts. Not a fan. Ya they are sticky, and have dual compound but it's just the 1/4-1/2 inch of tire right next to the sidewall that is softer. My problem with the PPs and 2cts is that they give you no warning as to when the tire is going to give out. another tire i like is the Dunlop Qualifier. It's is super sticky and aggressively shaped. But like the Corsa III's they wear down pretty quickly even faster.

Next set of tires on the zx6r will be the Corsa III's. (canyon riding only)
On the GSXR Pirelli Diablo's. (commuter and canyon riding)

sugarrey
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM
ridden all three you are in question of. Corsa III's are one of my favorite tires. The way they're shaped, their warm-up time, and how sticky they are. However, they don't last nearly as long as say the BT016s. Which are what i'm currently riding on the new bike. I'll tell ya those things hold really well. Looks like they'll last a pretty good length of time as well. I'm assuming it has a lot to do with the triple compound in the rear and dual in the front. As for the 2cts. Not a fan. Ya they are sticky, and have dual compound but it's just the 1/4-1/2 inch of tire right next to the sidewall that is softer. My problem with the PPs and 2cts is that they give you no warning as to when the tire is going to give out. another tire i like is the Dunlop Qualifier. It's is super sticky and aggressively shaped. But like the Corsa III's they wear down pretty quickly even faster.

Next set of tires on the zx6r will be the Corsa III's. (canyon riding only)
On the GSXR Pirelli Diablo's. (commuter and canyon riding)

The two last sets I have bought were dunlop sportmax, are they the same as the qualifiers? And I am unhappy with them for many reasons.

I have heard the pilot powers dont come in a 55 series or are not available at TFOG at least, and I really dont want the 50 series from what I have heard.

Are the Diablos like a cheaper version of the Corsa III's?

sugarrey
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I've said in other similar threads that I really like the Michelin Pilot Road 2. They have great tread life for commuting but are dual compound so you have stickier edges. I know a lot of people have settled on using a Pilot Power front and a Pilot Road 2 rear.

Unless you'll be riding in cooler (50-ish) temperatures, I don't see any real advantage of the Pilot Power 2CT over the regular Pilot Power. The 2CTs will wear faster and when the temperature gets hot, they get kind of slippery. I was running them at PMP once last year when it was 95 degrees out and the rear was sliding around quite a bit.

Dirk

They get a little slippery huh? Good to know.

konichd
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Pilot Powers DO COME in a 55 profile, you just have to know where to get them. :) I don't stock them but can have them in a couple days if thats the profile you want. However my price on 2ct's is so close you might as well upgrade.

Also in a recent tire test the BT16's, Qualifiers, 2Ct's all scored around 90 on a 124 point scale. These were tested by racers in a track environment and with a skillset better than the average rider.

With that said there are little advantages/disadvantages to each. However to echo Bueller there all the same for the most part. How much do you want to pay? How long do you expect them to last? These are going to be the questions you'll want to answer that will ultimately drive your decision.

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
They get a little slippery huh? Good to know.

Note that I experienced that on a very hot day on the track, so I was riding quite a bit harder than I do on the street. On cool days, they kicked ass on the track. Never had any problem with them on the street. I just don't see that they warrant the extra cost over the Pilot Powers for street riding unless you'll be riding hard in cold weather. And contrary to Matty's experience, I've never found any of the Michelin street tires to slide unpredictably but that could be bike-related. Also, the Pilot Road 2s grip very nicely when it's wet. My advice is try different brands until you find what works best for you.

Dirk

Foolds
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Give 303 Cycle a call. They support the CSC and have great prices and service! We should stay loyal to shops that are loyal to us if the price and service is right

Matty
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM
The two last sets I have bought were dunlop sportmax, are they the same as the qualifiers? And I am unhappy with them for many reasons.

I have heard the pilot powers dont come in a 55 series or are not available at TFOG at least, and I really dont want the 50 series from what I have heard.

Are the Diablos like a cheaper version of the Corsa III's?

Sportmax are not even close to the same tire as the Qualifier. There were the 208s that i hated but the Qualifier is a much better tire.

And the regular Diablo's aren't as aggresive as the Corsa III's. they have a harder compound that last a lil longer, but still hold extremely well. I push hard in the canyons, and i'm not going to get a tire i don't feel confident in.

Honestly..... the best thing to do is just go out and try different tires till you find one you really like.

konichd
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
[quote=Matty;471407]

PP do NOT come in a 55 series.
[quote]

Yes they do :)

sugarrey
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Give 303 Cycle a call. They support the CSC and have great prices and service! We should stay loyal to shops that are loyal to us if the price and service is right

Yeah those hooligans over there can get some decent prices! Im going over there today to kick the dog around.....(easy, just kidding, I love that big dope)

atschach
Sat Jun 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Pirelli Corsa III is the way to go

Zach929rr
Sat Jun 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM
DK talked me into a rear 2CT 190/55. Have definitely loved it much more than the 50's.

sugarrey
Sat Jun 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I actually have not heard anything good about 50 series tires.

DavidofColorado
Sun Jun 28th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I like a tire with dual compounds. Hard in the middle for city riding and sticky sides for leaning. I think you will have the best of both worlds that way and you will get a longer life out of them too.

ebb
Sun Jun 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Save yourself some money buy the Bridgestones BT-16 they will be more then enough tire. They warm up well and give the rider great feed back from the road surfaces. Nothing better than a tire that will tell you can give it the extra juice and when to slow down. I have had great luck with mine so far.... around 800 miles worth on a cbr 600. oh because they have a harder center it doesn't mean you can do more burnouts to impress the girls. hahahahaha a joke

thatmofo
Sun Jun 28th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Bridgestone BT016

BigE
Sun Jun 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Just a word of warning on running race take-offs on the street. They are probably OK in the summer when they can warm up but they are slick as oil on ice in cold temps.