PDA

View Full Version : Braking and rev matching

TheStig
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 09:16 AM
So I have a question for you experts out there. It seems logical to me (from my car racing days) to rev match while downshifting before going into a corner. Typically in a car I would do this down gears until Im in the correct one and slowed down to the correct speed for the turn (using heal and toe techniques). On the bike i can rev match just fine as long as Im not using the front brake. But if Im coming fast into a corner and need to slow down and change gear say from 3rd to 2nd I will try braking and rev matching at the same time and I always end up slamming the front brake lol. I keep telling myself shorty levers will fix this but I know its me and not the bike. Any tips on doing this properly? I saw somewhere to shift before braking but if I was going fast enough to be in 3rd it seems downshifting to second would rev it to high. Do racers use engine braking? That seems slow to me???

BHeth
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM
You got the technique right, now you just have to practice blipping without increasing the front brake. You can practice this every time you are going to brake and downshift on the street. Even just stopping at a light. Look for opportunities to do it and check your mirrors just in case. Before long it will be second nature.

Here is a nice how-to with pics:

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/rss/146_0402_shift_blip_throttle/index.html

TheStig
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Awesome link thanks BHeth! I thought I should be able to do it, just frustrating that I cant seem to get it. But I couldnt heal and toe the first time I tried it also. I do plan on putting some pazzo shorties on eventually which may help. But for now I am going to work on braking with two fingers and rev matching.

I have noticed that when I try rev matching before braking Im then in a big hurry to slow the bike down which is scary lol.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
you could also trying feeding the clutch or as the that sportrider articles calls it, the "non-blip" method. granted a slipper clutch will aid this method but it can be done without one and your manipulating the clutch lever will be slower and smoother.

chad23
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
shorties are nice just make sure your levers are in the right spot and are adjusted right. If you watch any of the races they all seem to have long levers.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I've got a slipper clutch on the bike & I routinely use engine braking. In fact, I usually don't even get on the brakes before hitting a turn. It's just a matter of planning it out in your head. Getting the front brake & downshifting is tough, but it comes with time. I find I don't usually need to do both on the street unless I'm in an emergency, then it's a great way to stop REAL fast! :lol:

The problem you've gotta watch out for is that if you grab the front to hard & then downshift, there's a chance that the rear will start to skipp/chatter on you since the majority of the momentum is going forward and a lot of the weight of the bike is on the front wheel & not the back. that back can definatley break loose, even with a slipper.

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM
you could also trying feeding the clutch or as the that sportrider articles calls it, the "non-blip" method. granted a slipper clutch will aid this method but it can be done without one and your manipulating the clutch lever will be slower and smoother.

This is what I have always done. I almost got into trouble with the Gixxer though at PMP when I let the clutch out a little too fast once and the back end got kinda squirrelly going into 5. I had gotten used to riding bikes with slipper clutches (my old 80s era Interceptors) but the Gixxer (2005 750) doesn't have one. I learned to be a little smoother on the clutch with the Gixxer. :)

Dirk

OUTLAWD
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM
After going to the track and locking up the rear a few times while down shifting, I made a conscious effort to practice the blip method every chance I got. Now I notice myself doing it at nearly every traffic light...but in the canyons I engine brake and hardly touch the brakes...the beauty of riding "The Pace"

I always used to brake with my index and middle finger all the way back to my dirt days, but I noticed the other day that I was braking with my middle and ring fingers, while twisting the throttle with my index and pinky. I guess I've got more control that way. I only got the shorty for the brake because the stock adjustable Triumph lever was still a little far out still for my liking (and because it looks cool)

Squisha
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I can almost touch my brake lever with my pinky. Yeah, it's adjusted all the way in...I've just got 2-inch long pinkies...:D

brennahm
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I blip every time on the street and have gotten pretty good at it, because just like Merlot, I was frustrated I couldn't do it. I actually do it with all 4 fingers on the brake lever...a function of never riding dirt I guess.

Valguard
Sat Jun 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Practice makes perfect. Find a parking lot where you can get it into 3rd and then practice breaking hard while downshifting. Once you feel comfortable enough, use it on the street as much as you can.

Some things that helped me (am I am no expert but it may help) are:

I focus more on my palm twisting the throttle instead of my fingers. I either index and middle finger break or just middle finger depending on the situation. This helps give you a little more control over the throttle. Build up some finger strength though as under intense breaking your 2 fingers need to be able to do what 4 can. (unless you have Brembo breaks where a pinky finger will be fine...)

When you pull in on the breaks focus more about keeping the break lever at a certain position not so much how hard your squeezing. Your squeezing is just the force needed for the primary goal of keeping the lever where it needs to be. Just sit on your bike with it off and practice holding the break while twisting the throttle so you can get the feel of it without thoughts of "HOLY F IM GOING TO DIE"

Anyway, hope that helps at all. Like I said, you just got to practice. You'll get the feel for it and never go back.

Bueller
Sat Jun 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM
This is what I have always done. I almost got into trouble with the Gixxer though at PMP when I let the clutch out a little too fast once and the back end got kinda squirrelly going into 5.
Back it in baby!

RAGrote
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
When riding "onboard" with racer during a race (video cameras) I rarely hear them blip to down shift...
Maybe it's just me.

Oh how I used to love to feel that ass end squirrel around on my RC. My, my what fun.

Addicted to engine braking!!!

Practice that front brake covering and blipping and it'll work itself out.