PDA

View Full Version : Chain Sounds?

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I have been hearing a metal clinking lately and it seems to have gotten worse today. I mostly hear if on acceleration and it kind of sounds like it's coming from the back left side. Nothing grinding or harsh sounding at all.
When I try to inspect everything, it seems fine, nothing rattles.

Is this an indicator the the chain/sprocket is wearing? I checked the tension, and it seems okay. Maybe a little lose, but not much. Anything else you can think off of the top of your head? Any tips? Thanks!

asp_125
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Could be totally unrelated but, I had someone tell me they heard a metallic clinking sound on their ride too. Nobody could find anything until one day she realized it was the keys on her key fob.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Kickstand spring a little loose & is it bouncing against the swingarm?

Is the metal clinking sound consistent? Does it vary with the speed of the chain? Does it occur when the bike's in neutral? Is it an African or an European swallow per chance?

asp_125
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM
No, it's a metallic clinking sound, you've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.

Wintermute
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Are the teeth on your rear sprocket straight, without any "shark-finning"? Could be curved sprocket teeth momentarily catching the chain. Would explain why it happens on accel.

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Nobody could find anything until one day she realized it was the keys on her key fob.No, it just started and its comming from the back wheel area.

Kickstand spring a little loose & is it bouncing against the swingarm?

Is the metal clinking sound consistent? Does it vary with the speed of the chain? Does it occur when the bike's in neutral? Is it an African or an European swallow per chance?After I'm stopped, during the initial acceleration it happens. But no other times. Kind of strange. :dunno:

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Are the teeth on your rear sprocket straight, without any "shark-finning"? Could be curved sprocket teeth momentarily catching the chain. Would explain why it happens on accel.That could be. :up: The chain and sproket are pretty old.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
blame it on the rain.

(yeah)

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
blame it on the rain.
(yeah)The more you talk, the more I question your sexual preference. :lol:

Horsman
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
No, it's a metallic clinking sound, you've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together. Yes, he needs to order these...
http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/monty_python_horse_action_figure.jpg

blame it on the rain.(yeah)
No Blame it on riding like Milli Vanilli!!!
http://blogofbad.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/milli-vanilli1.jpg

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
The more you talk, the more I question your sexual preference. :lol:
Just b/c you quesiton it, doesn't mean I'm gonna be running into your arms anytime soon :puke:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Just b/c you quesiton it, doesn't mean I'm gonna be running into your arms anytime soon :puke:

You know how we know you both are ghey? :slappers:

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM
You know how we know you both are ghey? :slappers:
'cause we hang out on forums like this with guise like you? :dunno:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
'cause we hang out on forums like this with guise like you? :dunno:

Yet another clue sherlock :up:

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Well....at least I got one possible answer before this thread completely tanked. :lol:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Well....at least I got one possible answer before this thread completely tanked. :lol:

Operative term here is 'possible'.

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Operative term here is 'possible'.Then do you have any ideas Capt. Almighty?

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Then do you have any ideas Capt. Almighty?

It's obviously a case of not enough monkey sperm on the chain. However, I believe you have all the tools to fix the problem. :D

j/k Most likely lame chain maintenance causing a shot chain and sprockets. Center stand your rear wheel and then try moving the wheel side to side to verify that it's not a rear wheel baring too.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM
No, it just started and its comming from the back wheel area.

After I'm stopped, during the initial acceleration it happens. But no other times. Kind of strange. :dunno:

Also check to see if you're missing any teeth on the rear sprocket.

Nothing's loose on the back left side, like a rear footpeg that's clanking or anything like that right?

Are you sure it's not happening everytime you accell but maybe the sound of the exhaust is too loud to hear it anymore?

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
j/k Most likely lame chain maintenance causing a shot chain and sprockets. Center stand your rear wheel and then try moving the wheel side to side to verify that it's not a rear wheel baring too.Holy Crap, a useful post by N_N!! :shocked:I do maintain my chain, I just think it's the same one that's been on there for 24k. Which is why that was my first guess. Good tip about the bearings though. :up:

Also check to see if you're missing any teeth on the rear sprocket. Good idea, I'll check that! :up:

Nothing's loose on the back left side, like a rear footpeg that's clanking or anything like that right?No, I went over it pretty good. Even kicked it a few times.

maybe the sound of your stock exhaust is too loud to hear it anymore? Fixed it. :lol: I don't think that's the problem!

Thanks for the tips guys. On with the shenanigans! :alien:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Holy Crap, a useful post by N_N!! :shocked:I do maintain my chain, I just think it's the same one that's been on there for 24k. Which is why that was my first guess. Good tip about the bearings though. :up:

Thanks for the tips guys. On with the shenanigans! :alien:

No one can properly maintain a chain after 24K.

Sortarican
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM
+1 for bent worn rear sprocket teeth.
That's the side that went down at HPR right?

But also check your bearings and other various rear end paices that might be worn or loose.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM
No one can properly maintain a chain after 24K.
I've found trash cans to be pretty good at maintaining chains that old...

Sortarican
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I've found trash cans to be pretty good at maintaining chains that old...

I use mine as fashion accessories.

Sean
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
That's the side that went down at HPR right?Nope, different bike. But I'm gonna check out the worn sprocket soon as I get out of this damn cubicle where time is standing still! :scream1:

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
^^Only works if you have the gold plated chains like all the otha gangstas