PDA

View Full Version : We lost a friend today

Jenny
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 02:58 PM
I have horrible news. Tihs morning Jessica (also known as PurpleFeet) was killed in a motorcycle crash during a group ride.

Nobody saw exactly what happened, but she had come up over a hill and there were cows all in the middle of the road. She lost control and crashed, sustaining severe head injuries even though she was wearing a helmet. I came up on her probably 30 seconds after it happened and she was already unconscious. We were later told that she was killed almost instantly and that she didn't suffer or likely even know what happened.

She was a good rider and she was a good friend. I can't think of anyone who deserved this less than her. She was a model example of a 'good person'. She was caring and considerate and kind to everyone.

She was so excited about her track day 2 weeks ago and was looking forward to another this Tuesday. She loved riding and I loved riding with her.

We'll be organizing an informal memorial for all of her friends, details will come along later.

Jessica, baby, Rest in Peace.

Anonymous
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Oh my god. :( For those that don't know, Jessica was the person behind getting the CSC girls group going, and her enthusiasm for riding rubbed off on anyone she met.

Rest in peace, Jess. :cry:

Please let us know when the memorial details become available, I will make sure the word gets out.

Solinary
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 03:21 PM
:cry:

It breaks my heart when I hear of a fellow rider that has fallen.
May she rest in peace and best wishes to those left behind. :(

Speedfix
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 03:40 PM
OH my God, I can't belive it. I rode with her just last weekend. She was a very safe rider and a friend. As I write this I'm in shock! What a MAJOR bummer :cry: , she will be missed by all that knew her.

Jmetz
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 03:43 PM
OMG I don't even know what to say. She will be missed, she was a very cool person to ride with and also to chat with. My heart goes out to her family. :cry:

yakuza
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 04:04 PM
I'm incredibly saddened to hear this, I believe I met her for the first time a couple weeks ago at the MRA races.

RIP, you'll be missed.

RSVR4aCowboy
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Life is sometimes so unfair! Jessica always had a smile ready and nothing but good things to say. May God comfort Jessica's family and friends.

Rest in peace Jessica... We'll miss your smiling face and great attitude. :cry:

Kip
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 06:32 PM
I'm shocked....

I think I met her at SCR. What kind of bike did she ride ?

God Bless.

firefghtr
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Goodbye

God will take care of her

Jenny
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Jess rode a dark red SV650S. Before that, a red EX500.

Erratic
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Oh man I'm lost for words. I just rode with her a few weeks ago. I'm so sorry this had to happen to her. She was such an awesome person. What a tragedy. My heart goes out to all those who knew her and especially her family and those who were close to her.

Anonymous
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 07:11 PM
If her family needs anything please do not hestitate to let us know. I'm sure it will be taken care of.

Duc'nnit
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 07:50 PM
this sucks. I met her twice a while back, her eyes were bright and her smile kept rainbows in a contant background. :( This really sucks.
Forsythe, please find out what we can do for the family and support the memorial for this trajic event.
Jessica......TAKE CARE, "FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS".

Chris

Hoopty
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Jessica, all of us will miss you. Godspeed :cry:

Big J is unable to respond via internet, but would like to send his thoughts and prayers to Jessica, her friends and her family.

RIP Jess!

surfinspacegirl
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 08:39 PM
:cry: Hoopty called with the news as I was safety wiring my bike this afternoon.

I'm still in shock.

Jessica first got in touch with me through the CSC just after she'd started riding. She emailed me asking for advice and pointers. She was always asking questions, always eager to learn.

She came to my birthday bash last year. Until the last Ladies' Night I hadn't seen her, although we'd exchanged a lot of banter via the message boards.

Man, I was just showing her lines at SCR less than two weeks ago. She was doing great. She was so excited, when we took a break she was almost speechless; she just stood there grinning from ear to ear for a while and then jumped back on the bike for more :D Marilou just about had to drag her off the track to ride home :lol:

RIP, Jess.

Ride safe everyone, but live life to it's fullest. You never know when it might end.

I just spoke to Barbara; she remembers Jess as the really funny girl at my birthday party last year. She sends her condolences.

Rue
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 09:32 PM
:(

RIP sister....

Speedfix
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 09:33 PM
I think we should ride to the funeral as support for Jessica and to show her family and friends how much she meant to all of us.

dgoldan
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 09:44 PM
I just met her on the Trail Ridge ride on June 22nd.

We'll miss you......

Dan

Jenny
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 09:50 PM
As far as I know, all of her family is in Texas, and I imagine that's where it would take place. That said, I would still be willing to ride there.

But I don't have any details about her family and am really not sure how to go about getting them. :?

The shock from this morning is just now starting to wear off. I wish it wouldn't. I don't think I can deal with this yet :(

BenDover
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 10:54 PM
I'm deeply sadened by this. I rode with Jessica on a few occasions, and she always had a smile on her face.

She caught the motorcycle bug and loved to ride. I can still see her sitting on the bench at the Deckers general store smiling about cruising through the twisties.

R.I.P.

Jenny, please keep in touch with any funeral arraingements or anything of the sort. Maybe a memorial ride?

Brett

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 12:10 AM
I met Jessica at the Conoco a few weeks ago in Morrison. We rode Golden Gate canyon with a few other fans. She was a very congenial person. I can remember her smile. I can only offer this.....

Lord I pray as I race today
Keep Me safe along the way
Not only Me but others too
As they perform the jobs they do
I know God that in a race
I the driver must set the pace
But in this race of life I pray
Help Me Lord along the way
Although I know I am a sinner
Help Me to believe that with God
Your always a winner
AMEN

haywood jablome
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 02:53 AM
WOW I first met Jess through Dylan. We rode the first day she got her bike. She was great. I think we should get sme sort of sticker made for all of us to place on our bikes as a rememberance of her. What do you all think of this?

RIP JESS

Anonymous
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 11:31 AM
WOW I first met Jess through Dylan. We rode the first day she got her bike. She was great. I think we should get sme sort of sticker made for all of us to place on our bikes as a rememberance of her. What do you all think of this?

RIP JESS

Great idea, chad. As I posted on sportbikes, since we already can get stickers printed up here if someone can get me her old sig pic (I think airmangoob maybe made it?) with the purple feet, that would be a sweet sticker so I will see what we can do about printing it up. Also like I said there, they either be sold at cost or any profits made should go towards promoting safe riding and enjoyment of the sport - two things Jess was all for.

And we definitely need a memorial ride for her. According to her profile on sportbikes, her birthday is Sept 29. What do you all think about doing a ride on that day? It's a Monday, so even the sunday before might be better for everyone (the 28th)...

Deuce
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 11:31 AM
That just sucks. I saw a girl out at SCR on Thursday with a maroon SVS. Anybody know if that was her? Just too damn sad.

Deuce

JohnS
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 11:34 AM
I only know a handfull of people on this board that I've met in person. Jessica was one of them.

I sold her the SV she was riding. I guess part of me feels guilt for that but I know she would have bought a bike whether from me or someone else but the feelings still there. I'm in total shock over this and can't seem to dry the tears in my eyes. We had been emailing eachother back and forth since her track day cause she was so excited and I was going to give her some parts that I wasn't using anymore. I've never met a nicer person and I guess thats why I wanted to help her soo much.

Here is some of her e-mail's....

i've only been to the track once. however, i did a long canyon ride yesterday..first one since i'd gone to the track...and i now know what you guys talk about..that it's not the same..you look at potential hazards a lot differently. i rode slower than i remember in a while. so we'll see what happens.

so many things to learn!! if ya can't tell, i'm still beaming from Tuesday.

The only thing that makes me able to accept any of this is she died doing something she loved. I just wish she could have had more time to enjoy it.

I will miss her

John

TWISTED
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 11:40 AM
RIP JESS[/quote]

And we definitely need a memorial ride for her. According to her profile on sportbikes, her birthday is Sept 29. What do you all think about doing a ride on that day? It's a Monday, so even the sunday before might be better for everyone (the 28th)...[/quote]

Good idea, get it posted all over the area. Donations to a charity, or maybe the AMA in her name.

haywood jablome
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Take this how you want. Jess died doing something she ENJOYED!!! Not alot of people can say that about there loved ones. God bless you jess.. Watch out for your fellow riders!!!!!!!!! Now we ALL have an angle riding with us.

jeaven
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 02:26 PM
:cry: :( :| ...... I am at a loss for words. My condolances and prayers go out to her family and friends...

Anonymous
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 03:04 PM
From posts on sportbikes.com it sounds like stickers are in the works, and will be free - donations to her family will be accepted however. No more details than that as yet, myself or someone else I'm sure will get the info posted here.

~Barn~
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 03:23 PM
I just found about this news last night, and I think the words and thoughts here, cover about everything I've felt, up till typing this email right now. I feel so bad that somebody so genuinely nice is gone. Our group is a little less brighter for awhile....

I had only met Jessica in person at the last Caldonia's night, but had talked with her many many times over PM's and chat. I knew right away when I saw the smiling girl at the table with the bright eyes and loving smile that it had to be "ihavepurplefeet"..

I'm so sad it's making this hard to write... Without ever even meeting me, Jessica was nice enough to offer me her ride for when my dumbass ever decides to go do the license test... She is such a sweet person. The world is better off the more people like Jessica are around.

You are loved and missed....
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/club/members/images/Jessica_face.jpg

Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 05:07 PM
I met Jessica about 4 weeks ago on the trail ridge ride. Even though I knew her for only a day, I can't help but feel a sense of loss.

My thoughts go out to her friends and family.

Dan (dgoldan) and I got to know her a little. She was about 25, and she was an actuary. She told us that she hated her job and loved to ride...and she was really nice.

It was good to ride with you Jess....

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 05:13 PM
BenDover wrote:

Maybe a memorial ride?

Great idea :idea: ------ and not a short one either :)

BTW --- John@CoyoteMotorsports wrote:

I sold her the SV she was riding. I guess part of me feels guilt for that but I know she would have bought a bike whether from me or someone else but the feelings still there.

You need NOT feel guity. Feel great you knew her and remember her through the sport she loved ---- RIDING :angel:

R6CHIRO
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Saddened to hear that, will pray for her famiuly and loved ones :cry:

Bryce
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM
it always saddens me to hear that we have lost a fellow rider but the loss of someone as genuine and caring as Jess cannot be described in the little time I knew her she was always upbeat and fun to be around.

godspeed Jess

brandon
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 07:06 PM
I'm very saddened by this news. I never truly met Jessica, but after seeing her pictures on her Yahoo Profile, I realize we were at the same restaurant a few weeks ago in Nederland for lunch (both on bikes). She must of been riding with a couple of others on the board.. I was with some people from R6 Messagenet myself before we headed back down Golden Gate Canyon.

Its too bad I never got the chance to meet her-- she was going to go on a trip with us last weekend but decided not to go at the last minute. I guess that's what I get for not talking from whoever the small group was at the restaurant that day...

RIP Jessica. :(

Boy Scout
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 09:18 PM
This is a huge loss, not only to her friends, family, and this group, but to the entire community. I first met Jessica several weeks ago on a ride to Estes Park. While I never really got to know her, I will never forgot her beautiful, warm smile, up-beat attitude, and enthusiasm for motorcycling. Her post just before her first day at the track was so appropriate for her bubbly personality:

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:22 am
-------------------------------------------------

:multi: I can't wait! This is my first time on a track.

Christine and Hanna, hope you both can make it!

May you rest in peace, Jessica. You will be missed by all of us.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 09:49 PM
A Time To Mourn

(author unknown)

"I'll lend you for a little while
a child of mine", He said.
"For you to love the while she lives
and mourn for when she's dead.
It may be six or seven years, or forty-two or three
but will you, till I call her back, take care of her for me?

I cannot promise she will stay, since all from earth return
But there are lessons taught down there, That I want this child to learn
I've looked the worldwide over in my search for teachers true
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you."

I fancied that I heard you say, "Dear Lord thy will be done."
For all the joy this child shall bring, the risk of grief, we'll run.
We'll shelter her with tenderness, we'll love her while we may.
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
But shall the angels call for her much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand."

swtdaddyjones
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 02:05 AM
May God giver her peace and comfort her family during this trying time...

AirmenGoob
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 03:55 AM
:( I dont know where to start. Jess was a great person, and wanted to learn as much as she chould wile rideing. She would never doing anything un safe. Chad thank you for the call. It is good to know that the surport of out group reaches over the oceans. Jess knew this and loved every min of ever ride. If anyone gets some information please let me know.
I get back Aug 22, if a group ride is going to happen I would love to be part of it,
RIP Jess you will be miss

MostroS4
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Didn't know her, but a life lost in an accident is tragic more so when its doing something we all love to do...

My condolances to her friends and family.

PuR HART
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 08:16 AM
My heart goes out to her family and friends. I am sorry to hear of this tragedy. May she rest in the sweet arms of the ALmighty.

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I met Jessica once @ Caldonia's a few weeks ago. I don't have much to say about this, i'm still in shock. I'll just post this song instead.
I saw U2 live a couple years ago when they were at the Pepsi Center and before they played this song, Bono said he wrote it for his kids, but after his father died, he said it was more like his father wrote it for him. So here ya go.... I hope it touches you guys like it did for me. If you get the chance, dowload this song, or go buy the CD.

U2 - "Kite"

Something
Is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it means

I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

And hardness
It sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
You don't need anyone
Or anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know
Which way the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

It's summer, I can taste the salty sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

I'm a man
I'm not a child
A man who sees
The shadow behind your eyes

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know
Where the wind will blow

Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

Did I waste it
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement

The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

Anonymous
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 09:23 AM
:( I dont know where to start. Jess was a great person, and wanted to learn as much as she chould wile rideing. She would never doing anything un safe. Chad thank you for the call. It is good to know that the surport of out group reaches over the oceans. Jess knew this and loved every min of ever ride. If anyone gets some information please let me know.
I get back Aug 22, if a group ride is going to happen I would love to be part of it,

Dylan, we are planning the ride for Sunday Sept 28. Her birthday would have been the 29th (Monday) so we are doing it that Sunday to get a larger turnout, though I think most would miss work for it if necessary. So you will be back in time for it. Details will be posted as they come available...

Jen made a sweet graphic for the stickers too, we'll make sure to save you one.

*MV* #33
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 09:35 AM
I never met her myself but from the sounds of it she will be greatly missed.

RIP

MV

:(

Cyalaytr
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 09:58 AM
It is with heavy hearts that we, in the Colorado Front Range Sportbike Riders, offer our most sincere condolences for the members of Jessica’s family and friends as well as all members of the Colorado Sportbike Club for their loss. It is our wish, at this time, to offer our support and sympathy in this hour of grief. Our thoughts are with you all.

It is our position that we all are missing a piece of the whole in the brotherhood of motorcyclists with the occurrence of this tragic event. And even though Jessica was not a member within our club her loss has been felt even this far away as some of members knew her and had the chance to ride with her. If there is anything our organization can offer your group please do not hesitate to ask. :(

Terry ‘CYA’ – CFRSR Founder

Joel ‘CHICKENHAWKS’ - CFRSR Founder

Robin ‘Tyzo’ – Technical Coordinator

Jeff ‘Nick_Ninja’ – Rider Safety Coordinator

And all the members of the CFRSR

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:02 AM

I thought of like a foot print that's purple that we could put on the back of our helmets or something like that. I dunno...... just a thought.

Ytry2
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:23 AM
I just read the news and i am SHOCKED. I would have never expected this. My thoughts go out to her family.
PLEASE i can not make the Bishop Castle ride on the 28th, due to a race, BUT I WOULD like the Decal to run on my race bike, MV race bike, Zach's, daves, and hyersides...

Vance
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:29 AM
I've been mulling this over in my head since the moment I read the post about the loss of Jessica. I think I met her, though I could be wrong, several weeks ago. Right bike. Right gender.

Anyway, it has taken me this long to come up with any words to express how horrible I feel at the loss of someone who held the motorcycling life style, sport, passtime, whatever you want to call it so close to her heart since the day she started riding.
I know the feeling because I feel it every day I get the chance to ride.
I have held nothing but joy in my heart every time I straddle my own ride having just rejoined the riding world back in August last year. I know the euphoria. The pure love of being out there. I love learning the ins and outs of the sport all over again. I love riding solo. I love riding with my CSC & UTMC bothers and sisters when I can. I love waving "the sign" as I pass a bike, sport or not, and getting a response back.

I have been having problems authoring my feelings towards this loss because I see myself as something of a distant soulmate to Jessica in the matter of being a "born again" rider.

For that reason I offer my sincerest condolances to her family and close friends and offer only these words: knowing how she must have felt when she was riding, I believe she died doing something she loved, and more importantly, died at peace.

I personally don't claim to know about any god or gods, her particular god of choice if any, but if she believed in a here-after, I have to believe she's spending part of her eternity on two wheels tearing up the pavement with a smile on her face.

Rest in peace Jessica. You and the light you brought to this group will be missed forever.

As to a memorial ride and stickers --- please - inlude me in any plans for a memorial ride as well as for the purchase of a sticker. I have a place I have already opened up on my helmet for a memorial "purplefeet" in Jessica's honor.

Anonymous
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I thought of like a foot print that's purple that we could put on the back of our helmets or something like that. I dunno...... just a thought.

That's what Jen made:
http://jenny.gamesnet.net/pf.jpg

I think this will be like a 2.5x2.5" sticker?

Jen can speak about when they will be ready, hopefully soon so you can run with them on your bikes at SCR.

Ytry2
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:31 AM
That just sucks. I saw a girl out at SCR on Thursday with a maroon SVS. Anybody know if that was her? Just too damn sad.

Deuce

Sorry, that was hyerside.

Ytry2
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:38 AM

That's what Jen made:

Jen can speak about when they will be ready, hopefully soon so you can run with them on your bikes at SCR.
Thanks i would like that. dam i just can't be happy today ;(

Cyalaytr
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:39 AM
I like the look of the purple feet stickers and know a few people in our club would like them. Is there any chance to add her dates of birth and death to them? :cry:

BladeRider
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Though I didn't personally know or meet her, I am shocked, saddened and touched by the news. It makes you realize just how quick something can happen and how fragile life can be. My thoughts are with her, her family and friends. Have a safe journey Jessica.

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM
http://jenny.gamesnet.net/pf.jpg[/url]

That's perfect.... let us know how much and when we can pick them up after they are ready. I'll take 2, one for the bike and one for the helmet.

justjohn
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:49 AM
This is just so sad....

god speed jessica...

justjohn

jerzee
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 10:53 AM
I can't believe this- I just responded to a PM from Jessica before reading this. We were to meet at Caldonias last week on WEdnesday, becuase we both have Ninja 500R's, both the same year and color. We were establishing a friendship through the bikes, and I was planning on intorducing Jessica to another Ninja owner I met through here to help her figure out some issues she was having with her 500R. She didn't make it because her ninja was running funny... But myself and my ninja buddy were keeping an eye out for her and her ninja. I feel strange and deeply saddened... One minute, I'm reading her PM and sending her back good wishes, the next topic I check out... is this?

How deeply disturbing and forever saddening... My thoughts, as all of yours, are with her family and friends... and I am shaken, very shaken by this news. Peace to her, and to her family and friends, to all of you, indeed, for all of us...

Jmetz
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Jenny this is up to you but on the sticker I think it would be good to have a note of rememberance as well as her birth and death dates. Something like:

In remeberance of Jessica
May you ride with us always
Sept 29 xxxx to July 12 2003

Just an idea.

BlueDevil
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Im always makes me sad to hear of this type of thing. The sport lost a valuable rider and she will be missed by many. :cry:

JohnS
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 11:41 AM

954GeNeRaL
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 11:52 AM
I just read a link to this from another forum im an avid member of. I am deeply sorry to hear of this tragedy, and for some reason i find myself motivated to come here and register to offer my condolences to all of her friends and family. I don't know why, maybe its because we share the same birthday on September 29th, or just the simple fact that all motorcyclist share a common enthusiasm and appreciation for each other. I wish you all well on your ride for her, and wish i was closer to support.

-Geoff :cry:

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 11:53 AM
here's a link to a post i put up about Jessica on another forums i'm on...... they are mostly in Conneticut, but they send their best wishes to Jessica's family and friends.

http://forums.onedownfiveup.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=5801&s=49cefd98a7e598228beff9b3ce7d26c1

Deuce
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Somebody post up when the stickers are done. I'd like one to go on the racebike too.

Deuce

Sharkbate
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 01:43 PM
I am truly saddened by this devastating tragedy. My heart goes out to her family in deepened sorrow. Losing a family member is so disturbing. I know that God has her in his presence, and that he will provide comfort to all that's ailing. Jessica, even though I never had the honor of riding with you, may you rest in peace now child. You and your family are in my prayers.

To all my fellow riders, may the Lord grant you peace and safety through your journeys.

Jessie

Jenny
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Jenny this is up to you but on the sticker I think it would be good to have a note of rememberance as well as her birth and death dates. Something like:

In remeberance of Jessica
May you ride with us always
Sept 29 xxxx to July 12 2003

Just an idea.

I originally had something like that on there, but then Matt pointed out that if they were there, people would never ask about them. People would be more likely to ask about just a set of purple feet, and then we can tell them a story about this fantastic girl that was our friend. I agreed and kept the text off.

CSUAdam
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Although I never met Jessica I still view it as a loss in the family. I'm so used to talking to a lot of you on the board that I view you guys as my friends even though I havn't met a lot of you. So any loss in the club is a personal loss for me.

God speed Jessica.

onef
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 03:30 PM
My condolences to her family.

jrok929
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 03:44 PM
My prayers are with her and the family! R.I.P.

rocktboy
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 04:45 PM
I too am shocked at this news. I met her at the last 2nd creek race and briefly talked to her. She actually remembers me from a ride that we had done almost a year earlier. RIP Jessica.

surfinspacegirl
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know whether Jess' family has seen this thread and the one over on esportbikes.com? I think they would be comforted to see how many lives Jess touched, and especially how many fellow riders intend to put memorial stickers on their helmets/bikes once they are available.....

Just a thought.

Anonymous
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 06:06 PM
I dunno ... I was thinking it'd be kind of cool to have everyone who knew her meet up at Cal's this wed and sign a card to be sent to her parents, or maybe even send them a videotape of the memorial ride when it happens? Something to let them know how many people care. Chances are they probably have not seen the threads...

Jenny
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 06:12 PM
We haven't yet had any luck getting contact information for her family. As soon as we do, I'll probably print these threads out and send them over.

spideyrdr
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 08:44 PM
I spent a considerable amount of time with Jessica a while back as a friend and compatriot. She was undoubtedly one of the most compassionate people I have ever known, and am deeply saddened by her passing.

On 9/11/2001 she was immediately at the blood bank giving herself to her fellow but unknown humans. She seemed to always seek out new and insightful passions, ranging from riding to knitting. Despite going 18 months without seeing her, when I spent some time with her just a couple of weeks back, her smile enriched the night and made the rest of us just that much happier.

She will be missed by myself and probably anyone else who has had the joy of knowing her friendship and caring. I cannot imagine the loss her family is feeling right now, but please, please do something to remember such a wonderful woman. Give blood, donate your time, or just get a Purple Feet sticker and commemorate her life and her passion. I'm certain she's looking down on us and sending us her radiant smile... I'm sure that's the reason the sunset was that much brighter these past couple of days.

Take care everyone.

SpideyRdr

Harry Biker
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 07:22 AM
I never had the privilege of meeting her, and am deeply saddend to hear this news. I'd put purple feet on my bike in memory of this downed rider and as a personal reminder to stay sharp.

shacheri
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 08:32 AM
I am so very sorry to hear the news about Jessica...

rest in peace.....

keep the wind to your back and the sun to your face...

panther
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Its never easy to hear about someone dying. I personally didnt know her, but from all of you who have, she must have made an impression. I wish i would have gotten to know her. If there is anything i can do, i'd be more then happy to help. I would put the purple feet sticker on my bike.
Once again I am truely sorry.

Jay

AirmenGoob
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 04:23 PM

Dylan, we are planning the ride for Sunday Sept 28. Her birthday would have been the 29th (Monday) so we are doing it that Sunday to get a larger turnout, though I think most would miss work for it if necessary. So you will be back in time for it. Details will be posted as they come available...

The problem is I will be in Vagas. I move there mid sept. ut my heart will be with the ride if I cant

Anonymous
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 04:26 PM
The problem is I will be in Vagas. I move there mid sept. ut my heart will be with the ride if I cant

Just swing out here for the weekend or something then... I'm sure we can scare up a bike for ya if you don't want to ride yours over the mountains for some reason (weather, etc). :up:

Jenny
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 09:48 PM
And I've got a spare room that has AirmenGoob written all over it.

FZRguy
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Very sad...I will definitely attend the memorial ride.

DucBloke
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Rode with her a few weeks back. This is very sad.

Jenny
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 05:49 PM
We just today heard about memorial/funeral services. The memorial is happening tonight (TONIGHT :( ) in Natchitoches, Louisiana. The funeral will be tomorrow at 2. I will be doing whatever I can to get out there.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/html/4CF017CB-BA1E-4A24-8E56-204408E8508A.shtml

Dpeshgirl
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 10:51 PM
I'm very sad to hear the news about Jess. I, like a few others, had never met her, but I feel like I knew her. Not only do we share the love of bikes, we both do health related research! I know and use the information that she did as "an actuarial analyst, was employed by Mercer Human Resources Consulting, in the Denver office...." I will miss her contributions to both the riding and research world. Count MdMonk and I in on a ride as long as we're both in town.
We'll miss her but remember her in spirit.
Ride on sister....
KARMEN

towneh
Thu Jul 17th, 2003, 10:32 AM
greetings all,
yesterday, i thought very seriously about trying to scrounge-up a bike to go to the funeral but i felt too rushed and reluctant to borrow someone else's scooter.... i'd like to send my condolence to her family so if someone has their address please pm it to me at your earliest convienece. i'd like a 'purple feet' sticker for my bike and another to put on her stone/maus (providing her family finds that acceptable...).
thanx,
henry (met Jess 3 times; she deserved a better exit...)

Anonymous
Thu Jul 17th, 2003, 10:43 AM
henry (met Jess 3 times; she deserved a better exit...)

For whatever it's worth... She left us doing something she truly loved, and did not suffer, with her friends nearby. She died too soon for sure but I think it happened in the best way it could have.

I also do not think it should have happened at all, which is about to be the topic of another post. Been researching this morning...

Mother Goose
Thu Jul 17th, 2003, 01:57 PM
yeah, i've been wondering about that. why are freakin cows in the middle of a public road :x

RSVR4aCowboy
Thu Jul 17th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Chadwick, from what Jenny said, the area they were riding was posted as open range. I came here from Reno and a large portion of the state of Nevada is open range. I had many a scare ripping down the highway in my car only to come around a corner or over a hill and run into a herd of cows or sheep sauntering across the highway. They do put warning signs up to let you know.

~Barn~
Thu Jul 17th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Chadwick, from what Jenny said...

Not to hijack your answer there Mike, but dear lord your signature is funny!... "A sheep day!".... :lol:

I myself has also ridden in open range. Hell... I-70 is open range on some ocassions, not to mention Colorado's Canyons. I've ripped by both deer and big horn sheep that were dangerously close to being in the road. But for the grace of my good fortune, have I probably not hit an animal before. =\

Mother Goose
Fri Jul 18th, 2003, 07:28 AM
I've ripped by both deer and big horn sheep that were dangerously close to being in the road. But for the grace of my good fortune, have I probably not hit an animal before. =\

yeah, i've seen them too...... but those aren't cows who have an owner that should have some sort of fence around their property next to a public road.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 18th, 2003, 08:26 AM
http://www.nctc.net/~hazard/photo/cows/cows.jpg

Agricultural Law takes precedence here. There is a LONG history of open-range activity here in the west.

There is a good article pertainig to court decisions toward this issue. Wyoming is in the fore-front in protecting the rancher on this issue. Colorado is also onboard in support of the topic.

Turning next to Wyoming common law, the court noted that from its territorial inception Wyoming had rejected the eastern common-law “fence in” rule and instead was an adherent to the “fence out” open-range doctrine. Colorado is also a fence-out jurisdiction. The court recognized that:

The common-law rule requiring the owner of cattle to confine them, or . . . to answer for any damages occasioned by their trespasses upon the lands of another [was] . . . never obtained, in this state, nor in other Western states . . . In this state cattle are permitted to run at large.

The complete article can be found here:
http://www.rothgerber.com/newslettersarticles/aglaw26.asp

And here is the Colorado Livestock Law:
http://www.law.utexas.edu/dawson/fence/co_fnc.htm

FZRguy
Sat Jul 19th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Can someone tell me where this accident occurred? I'd like to ride out there and leave some flowers at the site.

Anonymous
Sat Jul 19th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Although I never met Jessica, I can see that she had a lot of friends in this club. Even though she died doing something she loved, it's sad that it happened at such a young age, and so soon after she started riding. :cry:

R.I.P. Jessica

Jenny
Sat Jul 19th, 2003, 10:48 PM
On Teller County 11, near Cripple Creek. I can't tell you exactly where, I could only show it.

Speedfix
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 12:37 AM
I like Johns idea.

Jenny : Lets plan a ride to place a cross and some flowers soon. Pleas PM me and let me know when we could do this. It may even be nice for some members to sign the cross.

Erratic
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 12:38 AM
I would like to go on this ride also

Mel
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 11:38 AM
I would like to go as well...just let me know enough in advance to arrange a sitter.

FZRguy
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 05:03 PM
How about next Saturday?

Anonymous
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Would need Jenny to confirm/deny this based on info she should have at this point, but I think the memorial ride will probably take us past that spot. We were thinking it would be appropriate to stop everyone there safely and spend some time. Of course anyone can do what they want in the meantime, just tossing this out there. The ride is planned for Sunday Sept 28th - more details including route, etc to follow soon.

UnknownSoldier
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately the location of the accident is not a safe place for a group ride to stop. There is no shoulder on the road, and it is between the crest of two hills. Traffic coming on your side of the road has to move into the other lane just as they are cresting the 2nd hill, inviting a head on collision with cars coming the other way.

In the interests of safety I do not think it's a good idea to plan a group stop at this location.

Speedfix
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Can't we park at a safe spot, then walk to the site?

Speedfix
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Just read another post and jenny asked if we not go to the site. Her and some other CSC members have this taken care of.

Jenny
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 10:51 PM
No no, I just meant that I didn't want the first time that I go to be the same time everyone else goes.

Anonymous
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 12:03 AM
Well how about this ... Jenny I think you said you were going soon. If you guys could, maybe scope out a parking lot or big pulloff within reasonable walking distance, if one exists. I agree with UnknownSoldier, if it is simply not safe to do, we will not do it, period. We will have our hands full on the memorial ride and safety is not something we will be compromising on... :up:

MR2FAST
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 02:40 PM
I am very sorry that I am late with my sentiments on Jessica's tragic accident, I just read this post because I was on vacation...

I rode with Jessica only one time and knew that she was an extremely safe rider with a love for our sport that could not be surpassed. I was in a brief conversation with her about her EX for my wife, she was so nice even letting me know that she would be glad to ride with my wife when she is ready to ride. Jessica, you will be missed! I am sorry to see that her life was ended so short, my deepest sympathy goes out to her family and loved ones.

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 05:10 PM
any word on the stickers yet?

Ripper
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 10:33 PM
My condolences, My she rest in PEACE!!!

swademaster
Tue Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:56 PM
Even tough I never met Jessica it saddens me to hear of a fallen rider.
R.I.P. Jessica

MRA369
Wed Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
I just checked this board today and saw this.... sorry to hear, sounds like we lost a really sweet person.. RIP

gixxxersista
Wed Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:37 PM
I found this board via another board ....gixxer.com

After reading all the post, I am very touched, by the way every1 is supporting Jessica's memory........

Jessica sounds like a awesome girl that will diff. be missed in sportbike world.
My prayers are with her family real/motorcycle......keep your head up because Jessica is smiling down on you.....God Bless You All.......

RIP JESSICA

BTW...if I may add my 2cents......I think the purple feet is a great idea, not only for Jessica but for any fallen bikers in Colorado or world wide.....it would be a wonderful thing to share with all groups....for there fallen angels

.adding Jessica's name and dob and dod and a poem is a good, because like you said if peeps see that then they are gonna talk about the person, and from what I read, no one has any thing to bad to say about her.......

UnknownSoldier
Wed Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM

I got an email yesterday saying they were done. Hopefully Jen will be able to pick them up today. We'll definitely have them in time for the races this weekend, which was my goal.

surfinspacegirl
Wed Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:53 PM
I got an email yesterday saying they were done. Hopefully Jen will be able to pick them up today. We'll definitely have them in time for the races this weekend, which was my goal.

Count me in for 2 large stickers - one for each set of bodywork - and 1 small one for the helmet. Any chance you'll be at SCR Thursday night? Or early Saturday?

Cel
Wed Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:55 PM
Damn, I am so sorry to hear about this. Made my heart sink into my stomach to say the least.

Rick T.
Wed Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:50 PM
I post only now, not because I didn't know or care about Jessy... but because I loved her like many of you and could only NOW bring myself to even go into the board and look at this post. I heard of the tragedy through Lou (tt600grl) while I was still in California - she called me on my cell last Wednesday. I was shattered and in shock for several days. And am just now able to breathe...

Jessica ~ I miss you so very dearly... You were my lil' sister in this bike circle of friends and in life... and your death will impact me for a very long time. May GOD keep you under his wings and bless your family. Love you and miss you girl...

Rick T. - big bro'...

Mother Goose
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 10:27 AM

If you guys could hold a couple for me because i'm in seattle until next wednesday. Thanks. I'd like one for the helmet and one to put on the car.

Anonymous
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 11:48 AM
I just got an email to update a member profile, from, what appeared to be... Jessica :shock:

The email was from ihavepurplefeet@yahoo.com - Jessica's email address.

I was confused, thinking maybe I was looking at an old email. But it was new - sent today. I didn't know what to think. :wtf:

Knowing that this was from one of the email forms on the website, any email address could have been typed in there. At first, I thought it might be a sick practical joker, but then I opened it.

It looks like a relative submitted this, to update her profile with a comment of "R.I.P.", and a new contact email, mailing address and telephone number (in Texas).

Has anybody been successful in contacting her family yet?

surfinspacegirl
Thu Jul 24th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Spidey, Jenny went to Jessica's funeral in Louisiana and met her family, and handed over cards we all signed at Caldonia's & printouts of the threads here & on esportbikes.com. Prolly her family tying up loose ends... :(

Jenny
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 09:06 AM
I got this message from Neil - he was one of Jessica's close friends from home and wanted me to pass this along:

To all planning a memorial ride, I'd like to go. About the stickers, I have known Jessica since she was in College and her family would be honored.
(the Ihavepurplefeet screen name came from I love Lucy sitcom where Lucy was stomping grapes to make wine. She looked down and said "I have purple feet)
For those who wondered, Jessica was Saved... so she's in Heaven. I'll be passing a link on to her family so they can see how much everyone cared, and get some insight into her life in Colorado. Her family is in Texas and Louisanna.
Special thanks from her friends in Texas and her family to Jenny for going through everything she went through to be there at the funeral. I wish I had a way to contact everyone prior to the viewing and funeral to give information.
Her family asks that people who want to give something in her memory make donations in her name to Habitat for Humanity (something she participated in several times).
Knowing her Sept 11th, we talked almost all of that day and she wanted so much to do something to help that all she could think to do was wait in line for hours to donate blood. Every blood drive that there was in College or at her work she donated.
For those who want to do something special for her, there are two things that she had a passion for as well as riding.
I was one of the people encouraging her to ride. I told her that everybody dies, but not everyone lives. Although she was scared before learning, she fell in love when she did.
Thank you all who knew her either in person or just online who helped her to share her love of riding.
If anyone wants me to get a message to her family, either email me at NeilLedford@aol.com or contact Jenny who has my cell phone number.

Added thought... to the person who sold her the bike, there's no need to blame anyone. If you want to be mad at something, be mad at the cow. Eat a steak. (it made me feel a bit better somehow). She loved those bikes

Anonymous
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Spidey, Jenny went to Jessica's funeral in Louisiana and met her family, and handed over cards we all signed at Caldonia's & printouts of the threads here & on esportbikes.com. Prolly her family tying up loose ends... :(Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sorry that I was unable to sign a card for her.

UnknownSoldier
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM

I will be passing out stickers at 2nd Creek this weekend, both days. I am a corner marshall so I can only pass them out early in the morning and during the lunch break. You can find me at the picnic tables next to the snack stand from 7am until I get on the track, during my lunch break, and then at the end of each day I'll hang out for a few.

For those of you who won't be at 2nd Creek this weekend - don't worry we have lots of stickers. And if we run out we will just get more made up. Send your mailing address to me or Jenny. I'm sure we will be carrying around extras for any group rides we do so you can get them then if you don't want us to know where you live. :)

jeaven
Sat Jul 26th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Since I'm riding out early in the morning for Montana and won't be back till sometime the 8th, could somebody grab a sticker for me next time I meet up for a group ride (probobly Sunday the 9th)... If not please save me one.

Snowman
Mon Jul 28th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Jessica’s parents will be at Caledonia’s this Wednesday night. They are very interested in meeting all of us. They will be showing up around 7:00pm. Could someone bring some of those stickers along? I’m sure allot of people would like to have them.

Anonymous
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 11:38 PM
I'm going to unsticky this thread now, but I will move it to the archives forum after a few days so it doesn't get auto-deleted from the site.

Jenny thanks for bringing her parents to Caldonia's tonight! It was great to meet them, they seem like good people. It's too bad we all had to meet under these circumstances but it was nice to see them nonetheless. :)

Big-J
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 09:02 AM
Yes, It was nice to meet her parents! They are really nice people and I hope they are doing well. I was so mad though, I got a card for them, but then I forgot it at home. :x

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 09:11 AM
Dalton (No -- not THAT Dalton, but rather the elder statesman Dalton), his wife Cindy, and I would like to thank those involved in the purplefeet stickers :up: Great Job! :D

haywood jablome
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 09:26 AM
Just like everything else BIG-J

Hoopty
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 09:31 AM
He needs to lay off the pipe, and not just Barn's if ya know what I mean. :D