PDA

View Full Version : Landlords! Assistance Requested.

Zanos
Mon Jun 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hey landlords,

I recently got a house and don’t use all the space. To make sense, I may be getting a roommate to rent one of my rooms. I need help from someone with experience renting a room. I am looking for advice, a contract if you happen to have a good word document preventing some of the issues you ran into, etc. I am looking at a month-to-month basis and am looking for an equal protection contract; nothing crazy, just something to have just in case shit hits the fan. I don’t foresee problems, but no one does in a roommate situation.

I need a contract to do with common areas, common courteously, rent, issues, etc.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
There are a lot of sample contracts to be had online:

http://ase.tufts.edu/och/samplesublet.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sample+rental+contracts&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Zanos
Mon Jun 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I looked at some, but also looking for advise and addendums to the sample contracts in which issues landlords have ran into.

Horsman
Mon Jun 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Just PMd you...

TurboGizzmo
Mon Jun 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Make sure to define common areas AS common areas

Make sure to define approve needed for parties

Make sure to define leaving stuff behind after moving out (you cant just throw it out)

Make sure to define parking on your property ONLY you cannot tell someone where to park on a public street.

Below are some of my additional Provisions of course this is from a 06 copy its been revised a few times since.

ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS
1. Abandoned Property. Any and all property of Tenant which may be left in the leased premises (or the building) after the termination
of this lease or Tenant’s right of possession for any reason may be handled, removed or otherwise disposed of by Landlord at the risk
and expense of Tenant, and Landlord shall in no event be responsible for any property left in the leased premises (or the building) by
Tenant. Tenant shall pay to Landlord, on demand, all expenses incurred in such disposition, including a reasonable charge for storage,
but Landlord shall be under no obligation to provide storage, and Tenant expressly consents to the sale, removal, discard, or any other
disposition of the property by Landlord.
2. Assignment by Landlord to Purchaser or other part: Landlord may assign this lease and Landlord’s rights under same to another
party or entity. Any assignment by Landlord will not alter or affect Tenant’s lease obligations, duties, and covenants. If Landlord sells
the property, all of Landlord’s rights under this lease and all Tenant’s obligations may be assigned to the purchaser. After any such
assignment, the undersigned Landlord’s obligations will cease. Tenant agrees to assent to the new Landlord in writing according to the
same terms of this lease. Landlord will give written notice to Tenant within fifteen (15) days of any sale of the property or assignment
of this lease.
3. Parking Fee and other provisions about parking: Tenants may park in front or behind the property in accordance with the state,
city, and other laws that apply. Tenant shall pay ten dollars ($10.00) per month in addition to his/her monthly rent for a parking space
with in the garage for one (1) motorcycle. Such parking space fee shall be paid at the same time that the rent is due and all penalties
late fees apply of this lease shall apply to such additional fee. If tenant does not want such space then 5 days advance written notice
shall be given to Landlord. If this clause does not apply initial here _______. No parking is allowed in the driveway at except for
loading and unloading, as needed, and only for a reasonably short time.
4. Common Grounds: The yard, halls, kitchen, living room and bathrooms are considered common grounds – shared with all tenants
with equal access. Any party or gathering in the yard shall be mutually arranged among the other Tenants with Landlord’s consent
being required in writing.
5. This lease supersedes any and all prior understandings or written or oral agreements between the parties concerning this lease and
the subject property. This lease and written notations upon constitute the entire Lease Agreement (along with the check-in list which is
incorporated herein), and by signing, each party acknowledges reading of the entire agreement. No amendment or alteration of the
terms of this lease shall be binding unless in writing and signed by both parties. The captions and paragraph titles of this lease shall
not be used to interpret this lease.

================================================== =======================================

Also I gave up trying to figure monthly bills with utilities, now i just charge a flat monthly fee.

rforsythe
Mon Jun 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I've had roommates/tenants previously. Never doing it again.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
+1