PDA

View Full Version : Where will Spies be next year?

konichd
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM
So the rumor mill is starting! Tech III to take Townslends spot? How about this Aprillia rumor http://astwo.wordpress.com/ ? Sounds like we'll hear soon!

Pharmgirl
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM
If I were Yamaha, I would be doing everything I can to keep Spies. And I would be booting Toseland back to WSBK. Unless he pulls off at least 1 podium by the end of the year, I don't think he'll be back in MotoGP, especially with the extreme lack of bikes currently available and the fact that WSBK started 31 bikes last weekend.

chad23
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I think he will stay for 1 more yr. take 2 straight championships them move to motogp to dominate there :)

Sean
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Tech 3 :up: Get that Brit outta there and let the two texans get it done!

Edwards took 4th last week (:rock:), so I don't think he's going anywhere. But Toseland isn't doing too bad. If I remember he's been mostly top 10? I don't really see him going anywhere, unless another team wants to sign him and he makes the call to jump ship.

I think Spies will try and move to MotoGP, but 1. who knows if it will work, and 2. I don't think it will be with Yamaha. They've already got a bunch of good riders.

kawasakirob
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Rizzla Suzuki

green_zx7r
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
He'll stay another year with the Yamaha squad to take the championship cuz Haga is going to pull it off this year some how (wishful thinking, I know).

I seriously doubt he will make a parallel switch to Aprilia WSBK. Obviously his chances of going to MotoGP is much better with Yamaha.

If he goes to MotoGP next season, I hope he takes Toseland's spot. Maybe Toseland will stay in MotoGP on the Pramac Duc team? He's not a bad rider... Much better than some of the satellite Honda or Duc riders!

Better yet, take Dani Pedrosa's factory spot. :) Pedrosa is damn good, but that guy always seems to get hurt and can't perform when it counts most...

BHeth
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Tech 3 is the B team. Ben always rides for the A team.

He will stay with Yamaha SBK until a premier spot opens up. Either Rossi retires after next year or Hayden gets the boot and Big Ben will slide into the ride. Why ride with a loser when he can be patient and ride a winner?

I love it when a plan comes together.

Graphite675
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm torn on this. My gut says he will stay in WSBK another year (he should) but Tosland could be on his way out since his performance has been miserable and that would open up a Yamaha ride in MotoGP. I think Spies will jump at any ride that opens up for him there.
Rossi and Lorenzo are going no where so the "A" team is locked up for the next year or two.
He would be foolish to take any GP ride other then Yamaha or maybe the Ducati (if he could tame it). Maybe a Honda? The Suzuki and Kawasaki just arn't competitive enough so he would not do well on either of those bikes.

rybo
Tue Jun 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Tech 3 is the B team. Ben always rides for the A team.

He will stay with Yamaha SBK until a premier spot opens up. Either Rossi retires after next year or Hayden gets the boot and Big Ben will slide into the ride. Why ride with a loser when he can be patient and ride a winner?

I love it when a plan comes together.

Starting in 2010 though GP rookies won't be allowed to ride on factory teams, so he's going to have to come up through a "B" team.

I think Elbowz will be riding for a 2nd year in SBK. The lure of GP is strong, but the racing is MUCH better in SBK than GP right now. The last lap pass two rounds ago was the first time that's happened in GP since 2006. That's right, in the last two years NO ONE has challenge the lead on the last lap. Also, the state of superbikes is better suited to Ben's style than the current state of GP bikes.

IF Ben goes to GP I predict that he will not be riding near the front. The current state of GP bikes strongly favors riders who came up riding the smaller displacement 2 strokes. When they were 990 cc monsters the superbike guys did really well, but since the move to the 800 we don't see the superbike guys near the front that often. Edwards finish is the best for an SBK rider in a long time.

My .02 (before Bernie got hold of it, it's worth less than that now)

s

BHeth
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Starting in 2010 though GP rookies won't be allowed to ride on factory teams, so he's going to have to come up through a "B" team.

My plan is totally shot...

Sean
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM
Starting in 2010 though GP rookies won't be allowed to ride on factory teams, so he's going to have to come up through a "B" team.Any idea what the logic is behind this?

green_zx7r
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM
...IF Ben goes to GP I predict that he will not be riding near the front. The current state of GP bikes strongly favors riders who came up riding the smaller displacement 2 strokes. When they were 990 cc monsters the superbike guys did really well, but since the move to the 800 we don't see the superbike guys near the front that often. Edwards finish is the best for an SBK rider in a long time...

Very true... Aside from Rossi's performance, the smaller 800cc bikes are geared towards smaller and smaller riders... I think the regular sized riders are simply at a disadvantage. Dani is like what, 2 ft 3 in? :)

nwatkins
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Spies will stay. The racing is a lot better in WSBK right now and Spies knows it. Reference AMA he owned that series for three years before moving out. Also he ran a faster lap at Donnington on his Yamaha SBK then he did the Suzuki Moto GP bike. Man I wish I had the problems this guy does. :doublefinger:

MikeG
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM
Another question to ask would be where will Rossi be next year? There has been a bit of stealthy talk of a possibility that he could go to SBK for a new challenge (and to whoop max again)

Pharmgirl
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM
Rossi has a contract til 2011 with Yamaha. He will finish out his career on the best MotoGP bike and then maybe go rally. He'll never go to WSBK.

konichd
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
Rossi will be in F1 next year after he wins the title :)

kawasakirob
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
It will also be interesting to see how Simoncelli does on the Honda next year.

*KEN*
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Rossi will stay with Yamaha MotoGP until I perfect my navigating skills. Then we're going to WRC.

mforza
Sat Jul 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Ok, the news.
Rossi staying in MotoGP for another 3-4 years. With Yamaha.
Spies signed up for another year with Yamaha in WSBK.
Then he will go to MotoGP in 2011 with Yamaha.
If he wins the title this year then he got the door open to MotoGP in 2010 for Tech3 Yamaha with full factory support. Or if Lorenzo says goodbye to Yamaha then he might go to MotoGP Factory Yamaha for 2010.
That's the news:)