PDA

View Full Version : WE DO HAVE A HERO AMONG US.....

Duc'nnit
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Not to overshadow the trajic event with Jessica...but fate in its own twisted way provided a ray of sunshine for another soul. This afternoon myself, Kip, Allan, and Roger headed back down Hwy 7 from Estes.
Kip and Allan were a ways in front, Kip was flagged down by a woman in distress informing him of a child floating down the rapidly running water next to the road. Kip in full gear under his own accord went into the middle of stream/river and made the recovery just in time as the unconcious child came upon him. Allan assisted Kip and the child with family getting back to safety. Apparently the child was banged and bruised and showed signs of life after it was over. A job well done.
Fate, twisted and unknowing.....a life for a life. Kip, when you see this post, tell the story. You deserve it! And dont ever do that to me again!!!

Chris

BenDover
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Way to go Kip!

That story just sent shivers down my back.

dgoldan
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Awesome!!! As a member of one of Boulder County's swiftwater rescue teams, all I can say is you saved a life. Without your swift actions, it is unlikely that the ending would have come out the same.

Hell Kip, I don't even know you yet, and I'm proud of you!

Dan

yakuza
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Quick thinking and quick actions, great job Kip! :up:

TWISTED
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Wow! Nice ending to what could have been another tragedy. Good job!

BladeRider
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Great job Kip!!! Please share your story when you get a chance.
:up:

Kip
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks Chris for the kind words. Per your request, I'll tell the story.......

I met Allen and a few riders from CFRSR at 7am in Boulder for an early ride. On our way down from Golden Gate Canyon, one rider went down hard. Knocked himself out and trashed his bike. We helped him get back home and Allen and I decided to continue riding. We then ran into Chris and a few other CSC members during a Peak to Peak ride. After lunch in Estes Park we headed down Boulder Canyon.

A lady running next to Boulder Creek was waiving her hands in the air acting a little out of control. At the speeds we we were carrying, I thought this could get ugly if she steps out in my path. As she got closer to the road and I got closer to her, I could see a look of terror on her face. I grabbed a handful of brakes and stopped as fast as I could. I flipped up my visor and she said " A BABY'S IN THE RIVER ! A BABY'S IN THE RIVER! " I asked where ? She pointed up stream. I looked up stream through the trees and saw the baby floating on it's back disappearing in and out of the rapids.

With full gear still on, helmet and all, I ran down the bank and jumped in the river. Just as I made it to the far side, the baby was about two feet in front of me still on it's back. I lowered my arms and scooped the baby up. The first thing I noticed was how cold her skin was and the fact that she was limp......lifeless, I was afraid. The current was so strong and waist deep I couldn't do anything in oder to help her breath except get back out of the river. I did toss her head up towards my kneck and shoulder, thinking this might help her breath instead of carrying her flat in my arms. Half way across, she coughed and then starting crying. I remember thanking God that she was still alive and then seeing Allen entering the river to help me out.

The baby had been floating for about a quarter mile. Her head had numerous lumps that were starting to swell from hitting all the boulders in the river but seemed to be doing fine. As young as the baby was, it seemed to realize that it had just been saved....before I let go, she squeezed my kneck giving me a hug. Everyone was crying and saying "thank you, thank you !" The shock was still affecting the family when Allen and I left.

I'm sure any CSC member would have done the same thing.....I'm just glad that everything worked out.

It seems on this day, one life was spared, while another was taken.
God Bless, Jessica.

Anonymous
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Wow, great job Kip, you definitely did save that baby's life!

Deuce
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Great job Kip. Man you rock dude. Big thumbs up to you man.

Deuce

jeaven
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Totally awsome, must of happened after I split away after lunch. I can't begin to explain how greatful I am to meet up with this kind of group... Everyone knows this weekend I've had the Eh! feeling and took it slow... Alot of things happened this weeked, some good, alot bad... I hate it when I feel like this...

Again congrats, Since I've only just checked out this group for about 2 weeks, might I suggest and honorable recognition, just for grins (Hell, I would go as far as trying to get the story published in the newspaper)... We need to look and congradulate the goods things, we all know that no matters what the situation, 1 negative always takes away 10 Positive....

K, I'll be quite now...

~Barn~
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Very well done Kip. You should be very proud of yourself.

Ralph, I agree that this is some definitely worth mentioning to the television and newspaper press. Kip's story is something the whole motorcycling community should know about, as well as the general public.

Bryce
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 05:40 PM
congrats Kip it took real bravery to do something like you did and I got to say my hat is off to yoou today for going above and WAY beyond the call of duty risking your own life to save another and have absolutly no doubt in my mind that you did save that familys child

ps Ralph I belive Kip deserves a hero status for his account

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Well done! :up:

Anonymous
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 05:52 PM
ps Ralph I belive Kip deserves a hero status for his account

So do I! ;)

Kip
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It really wasn't much of a decision....my thought process was, there's the baby...go get it.

Once it was over, a thought did cross my mind.... I hope that family and those people that were there think differently about the next crotch rocket that passes them on the road.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm confident any CSC member would have done the same thing.

Thanks.

Bryce
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 07:06 PM
I do belive you might be right Kip but still it was your ass at risk when you jumped into that creek which has and will probably will again swept away full grown adults and killed them. that in my mind says alot abot you
Kip that you put others well being above your own and the fact that no thought was needed proves that point

P.S. this group is a damn fine bunch of people to know and it makes me proud to say I know tou guys

surfinspacegirl
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Well done! :up:

Hear hear. You showed your true colours, Kip :up:

Duc'nnit
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Kip, as we talked that night on the phone....i truly believe you now have a pair of wings reserved in Heaven. 8) Just remember that when I am down in "Pitch Fork Central" trying to get the Hell out of there! :D

Chris

Boy Scout
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Way to go, Kip! I for one, am very proud to have you as a member of this group. I'm sure I'm not alone. Your quick thinking, courage, and bravery speaks for itself.

Polumbian
Sun Jul 13th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Kip, I've only met you briefly at the first wheelie school and on a casual ride, but I have no questions as to the integrity of your character. As a father of a 2 year old who has no fear of water, I try to teach my daugher the dangers of moving water and drowing. Yet, children will always be drawn to it's beauty, mystery, power, etc. And for your actions, I just want to say thank you! I fear that could have been my daughter, or anyone else's for that matter.

swtdaddyjones
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Good Job Dude!!! :bananna:

BlueDevil
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Wow touching story. Im so glad the baby was still alive. Good job Kip!!!!

RSVR4aCowboy
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Great job Kip!! :up: It doesn't surprise me considering the quality of people I have met in this club. You are a true hero and it's a pleasure to know people like you and the other members of this club!

Ytry2
Mon Jul 14th, 2003, 11:01 AM
To save a life..... is the world's second greatest gift. I am proud of you

Harry Biker
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 07:28 AM
You're a frickin hero!!! I hope you get acknowledged publicly,( en mass) for that AMAZING life saving event! Fine Job!!!!!!!!

shacheri
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Great job, Kip! Way to be THE MAN!!!

(I am attempting to catch up on all the news while I was away...)

I am so looking forward to meeting you and all the other members of this group....you did an awesome thing for that family and for all of us.

thank you!

shacheri
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Just a heads up - I just spoke with Mary Latsis from the WB2news room about Kips heroics....pointed her to this thread and am hoping she can get enough information to put together a news story for their 9pm show this week.

Go Kip!!!

Kip
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, thanks again for all the kind words.

If the news does pick the story up, the message that I would like to relay in order to put sport bike riders in a positive light, particularly CSC members, is that even though we may ride fast at times we do value our lives and we also value the lives of others. That's why I can confidently say any CSC member would have done the same as I did.

Kip
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 06:27 PM
I just notice the "Gaurdian Angel" above my pick.

Who ever added that.....I dig it !

Anonymous
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 06:36 PM
I just notice the "Gaurdian Angel" above my pick.

Who ever added that.....I dig it !

:D

Mel
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know what ever happened with the baby? Was she truely ok, or were the bumps to the head bad?

Speedfix
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Damm Kip, GREAT JOB! I am proud to know you. And I understand what your saying about other CSC members doing the same. This is the BEST riding club I've ever road with. And there are truley some good people here.

Burnout
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Nice job Kip! It's a good thing you didn't worry about getting into the water. The creek has been raging this year too!

It would be cool if you could see how that baby progresses through life. You may have changed history! BTW, how did the baby get into the river?

Kip
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know what ever happened with the baby? Was she truely ok, or were the bumps to the head bad?

I'm assuming the baby was o.k. It was crying and able to stand on it's own. The bumps on her head were starting to swell, but she looked o.k., just beaten up by the currents and rocks. I got the impression this may have been a poor spanish family, so I don't know if they took her to the hospital or not....I hope they did.

Kip
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Nice job Kip! It's a good thing you didn't worry about getting into the water. The creek has been raging this year too!

It would be cool if you could see how that baby progresses through life. You may have changed history! BTW, how did the baby get into the river?

I was told the family was having a picnic and a few children were playing in a calm part of the river, but the baby ventured a little too far out and the current pulled it in.

Kip
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 11:00 AM

I was told the family was having a picnic and a few children were playing in a calm part of the river, but the baby ventured a little too far out and the current pulled it in.

shacheri
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Kip, I have been thinking about the chances of getting a story written for this.....do you have any names or information about that family?

My feeling, having been in TV for a while, is that if the reporter can't establish contact with that family and "flesh" out the human details of this, they probably won't pursue it....it would be too vague and ambigious for a story....as good a story as it is.

I really want to help with this, if I can.

Kip
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 11:15 AM
No Sacheri, I have no idea who the family is or how to get in touch with them and they have no idea who I am. The only witnesses were the baby's family and members of the club I was riding with that day...Allen(CFRSR member), Chris and Roger (CSC members).

Once it was over, Allen and I poured the water out of our boots, hopped on our bikes and rode home soaking wet, leaving the family on the side of the raod still crying and hugging eacth other.

shacheri
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Well, and you had God for a witness as well...

perhaps the family will step up and tell their story and the pieces will come together....meanwhile, we can celebrate the good that came out of your heroic efforts and salute you and Allen and Chris for what you did and the person you are!

I look forward to meeting you tonight!

Dpeshgirl
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 11:04 PM
My bro-in-law is a Boulder Co. Sheriff's Deputy, so if there was any sort of call for emergency services he might be able to find out who/what etc... Let me know if I can be of help!
Rock on Kip!
... Your own... personal.... Jesus....
=)
KARMEN
sahshansven@hotmail.com

Pork Chop
Sat Jul 19th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Just gotta say big thumbs up Kip, been gone 2 weeks and a lot has seemed to happen. Good to see we still have folks that care and will act in a moments notice, way to go :up:

DucBloke
Sat Jul 19th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Very well done Kip. Hero's are people who don't think, but act! You are a Hero through and through.

Anonymous
Sat Jul 19th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Way to go, Kip!!! :up: I'm proud to know you and glad that you are a member of this club!

Kip
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks again guys for the kind words.

Rue
Mon Jul 28th, 2003, 01:58 PM
That's awesome Kip! I'd give ya a big hero hug if I could!

Anonymous
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 11:32 PM
I'm going to unsticky this thread now, but I will move it to the archives forum after a few days so it doesn't get auto-deleted from the site.