PDA

View Full Version : Stupid lightning

LambeauXLIV
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 11:10 PM
I had just sat down to enjoy motogp 07 on my xbox 360 when lightning strikes, and now I get the Red Ring of Death :banghead:

Even worse, now my game is stuck in the console

I had it plugged in to a surge protecter/ups too!

Ceez
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Gee...how close did it strike?!?

LambeauXLIV
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure...the lights in the house flashed on and off about 5 times, and then I heard the thunder...definitely within a mile

BeoBe
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 11:53 PM
crazy... i got some great vid of the mad lighting that hit out here too.. was messing witht he lights..

bulldog
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Call Xbox and they will run the serial number. If it is still under warranty then they will email you a shipping label. I did this and surprisingly it was back in less than two weeks. Check online and there is usually ways to get the game out because if you send it with you, you most likely won't get it back. Also, depending on how many red rings you have will tell you what the problem is: google it.

Devaclis
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
I would be more afraid of lightening that was in MENSA or that had a doctorate in psychology.

XJ600s
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
The storm was also right overhead Boulder and the thunder happened nearly instantaneously after the lightning.

Funny thing was, every time the lightning would flash, dozens of car alarms out in the parking lots and on the streets would start going off like crazy.

The electromagnetic disturbance was insane! And it wasn't just the thunder shaking the cars, because the thunder really wasn't that bad (in my opinion, but then again I love serious thunderstorms with shake-the-window thunder).

*KEN*
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
RIP XBOX. I don't suppose you have the paperwork for the surge protector (they're usually guaranteed for a certain $ amt).

Gregger
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Great lightning display last night. Lots of positive cloud to ground strikes with some of the loudest thunder I've heard in a while.. Sorry about your XBOX dude.. Try wrapping it in a towel, turning it on, and letting it get hot. That's been known to fix it.

Snowman
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Did the watch on your arm stop working?
Did you have the taste of metal in your mouth?
Any unexplained burn marks in strange places?

bulldog
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Great lightning display last night. Lots of positive cloud to ground strikes with some of the loudest thunder I've heard in a while.. Sorry about your XBOX dude.. Try wrapping it in a towel, turning it on, and letting it get hot. That's been known to fix it. Check the red ring issue and warranty before you do the towel trick thing. All that does is heat up the solders that may have come loose; which is only one of the issues. Plus it can void the warranty because they know the temp got too hot from inproper ventilation. Pretty sure Xbox360 now have a three year warranty for the red ring issue....

Gregger
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Check the red ring issue and warranty before you do the towel trick thing. All that does is heat up the solders that may have come loose; which is only one of the issues. Plus it can void the warranty because they know the temp got too hot from inproper ventilation. Pretty sure Xbox360 now have a three year warranty for the red ring issue....

This. He's right. Go that route first.

LambeauXLIV
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm just gonna take it to Best Buy...
I've had pretty poor luck with xbox's...I've already had 5 die on me
Everytime, Best Buy just let me walk in, grab a new one and be on my merry way.

The last time I did it, I got a store credit for about $80 because the price had dropped :D

Zach929rr
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
+1 on the Best Buy route. Also, you should try to "conveniently" leave the controller at home and hope they don't notice. Boom, free controller.

LambeauXLIV
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
I've never done that before..................:D

bulldog
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
So it is still in warranty at best buy? I did that twice till my warranty ran out and they refused to help me.

+1 on the Best Buy route. Also, you should try to "conveniently" leave the controller at home and hope they don't notice. Boom, free controller.
Last time I did that at Best Buy they checked the package really good to make sure I didn't keep anything and refused to return it because they said there was not headset in there. Then I proved to them the model I bought didn't even come with one.

LambeauXLIV
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Honestly, with no assistance from me, my Xbox's have always died inside the Best Buy Warrenty...

The one that just died was my 5th one

Devaclis
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
What is the term for doing the same thing over and over and over, each time expecting a different result?

LambeauXLIV
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hey now...

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
What is the term for doing the same thing over and over and over, each time expecting a different result?

Errr... Democrat?

running and hiding now.....teeehee......

Devaclis
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hey now...

hahaha :)

Zach929rr
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
LOL. Best Buy gave me a brand spanking new 2 year warranty on my new one after replacing my old one of ~2 months, which had a 2 year on it as well. They also appeared to check the box well, but the only thing I had left out (not on purpose, actually) was the controller. Boom, free controller.

LambeauXLIV
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I may or may not have always nicked the ethernet cables...

And I did forget the controller once as well...the new one is still in its packaging

bulldog
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
For me Best Buy went two years from the original Xbox360 I purchased, so it eventually wore it out. They had told me I would get 2 years from the replaced Xbox360, but when it came down to it they didn't honor that even when I spoke to a manager. I bought the cheapest one they had, took my HD off, used that for two weeks till my fixed one came back from Microsoft, then returned the one I bought from Best Buy.