PDA

View Full Version : Wheel questions

mtnairlover
Fri Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Can someone please tell me what this is?...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/rotorthingy.jpg

Is it problematic? Will it create more problems if I just leave it like this? I was thinking about taking wire cutters to it, cutting it off and calling it good. But, is that the worst thing I could do?

Another thing...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/whatsthis.jpg

I thought that loose piece of metal was rubbing up against the break caliper (tell me if I'm wrong in calling that break thingy a caliper) and causing my wheel to wobble when I turn it. When I lube the chain, I put the bike up on a rear stand and turn the wheel (when it's in neutral) to lube the chain. But the wheel does not turn smoothly at all. So, what's up with that? My other bike's rear wheel never had problems turning smoothly.

Thanks for any advice.:)

Bueller
Fri Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Looks like a spacer/gasket. I wouldn't mess with it.
Wheel bearings might be shot. It is a caliper but they are brakes not breaks. :)
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/47/Year/2006/ModelID/3788/Model/Z750S/GroupID/115621/Group/Rear_Brake

mtnairlover
Fri Jul 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Looks like a spacer/gasket. I wouldn't mess with it.
Wheel bearings might be shot. It is a caliper but they are brakes not breaks. :)
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/47/Year/2006/ModelID/3788/Model/Z750S/GroupID/115621/Group/Rear_Brake

Thanks. That's what I needed...friggen stoopid spelling anyways...

Oh yeah...and the wheel bearing...sigh, guess I'll be taking it to the shop yet again.

Much appreciated, though.:)

mtnairlover
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
...or, the problem could be chain, chain and sprocket, wheel alignment...

Let's pick....er, chain!

I guess my rear stand is also a tab bit of a culprit, too. Because my chain was loose, the wheel was acting weird while up on my rear stand and after doing some diagnosis back and forth for the past couple of days with Alan and Grant over at RMK, we finally figured it out. My chain was too loose.

This is how the service dept is at RMK...I call up to see if they might have an answer to my problem...they say bring it in and they'll take a look. My wheel doesn't act the same way when I bring in the bike, so I'm told to lube it correctly (I was doing it wrong...I fail) and then see if the wheel still acts the same when on the stand. I do that and still the same result...so, I call again this morning (I'm home sick...cough) and let Grant know what's going on. He says bring it in and he'll take a quick look to see if it does the same thing with him. Up on the stand it goes and well, no real noticable wobble, but the chain sure was loose. He asked if I wanted them to tighten it...I haven't done it myself, so yeah. A few minutes later, Marv was done and a couple bucks outta my pocket, but the chain is perfect...or as perfect as a stock chain can be at 19,400 miles.:D

More good news...I guess I do a pretty good job with the upkeep on my bike (accept for the drops). Both the stock chain and sprocket are doing pretty well, despite the miles. And everything else seems to be holding up pretty well. So, I'm making a mental note of new chain and sprocket for next Spring and gonna continue to have fun riding this season. Oh and talk about fun...what a difference tightening that chain made...:hump: I think I've been riding too long with it the way it was to even know how wonderful it could be.

Ok...so...long story, er long. Do your regular maintenance. Check parts every so often and find a great mechanic and shop.

Thanks RMK!

BHeth
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
so I'm told to lube it correctly (I was doing it wrong...I fail)

but the chain is perfect...or as perfect as a stock chain can be at 19,400 miles.:D

Both the stock chain and sprocket are doing pretty well, despite the miles.

Screw 'em! I'd keep doing whatever you are doing to your chain. Sounds like it works great.

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Is this on your kawi 750, or did you get another bike? I can't tell from the pics because they all look like little red X's

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
How did they say you were lubing your chain wrong?

mtnairlover
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Screw 'em! I'd keep doing whatever you are doing to your chain. Sounds like it works great.

Ha ha...yeah. I don't know how I'm doing it...but it's obviously working quite well.

Is this on your kawi 750, or did you get another bike? I can't tell from the pics because they all look like little red X's

Lol...yeah, it's the Z750, interation number 2. The one I've had since November, 07 after the Trail Ridge crash. I bought it with 2800 miles on it.

How did they say you were lubing your chain wrong?

I spray from the back of the bike onto the chain and sprocket when the chain is cold and was told to spray on the inside of the chain when it's warm.