PDA

View Full Version : Mongolia-some of the photos

Pandora-11
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Attached is one card of photos that I took while in Mongolia on my teaching English trip. I had such a wonderful time there with the people. They are truly a joy to be around. I was glad for running water and toilets that worked when I came home... and some green food.
Many of my pictures were taken from a moving van with two people sitting on top of me and one at my elbow, so quality of some is suspect. We worked so much of the time that there aren't that many tourist type shots here. I managed to take three of the six motorcycles that I saw at some risk near Russia. ha......The teachers were very grateful for the supplies sent by Devaclis and Sweetie Pie and asked for the email address to send them a note of thanks, but I was told not to give anything out as so many of them want to come here to work. I can send items to them for use if anyone ever feels the desire to help them. They get paid roughly $180 per month to teach school and have to use their own money for any supplies. The parents do not want to pay anything and then they get taxed about 20% of their salary on top of that. I don't know how they make it. Here are my pics (or at least the first of them) in no particular order. You might have to dig to find the three cycle pics.

http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy167/pandora-11/?albumview=slideshow

Sweetie Pie
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Amazing photos! What an adventure this must have been! I can't wait to hear more about it.

zetaetatheta
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Looks great! Bet you really enjoyed it. I'd love to ride a duel sport there.

Pandora-11
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 11:28 AM
You can....they love American teachers. Next year, we will be teaching math and history teachers English instead of just teachers of English.
The respect for older people and for teachers was amazing. I so could do two years or more here. I was offered a job at a school there by one of the teachers who showed up. Most of the schools had at least one American teacher working there. Most were peace corps workers.

Dizzy D
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Moved to the correct forum.

Tipys
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Looks like a nice trip.

But for some reason I thought you were going to Africa.

Pandora-11
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Looks like a nice trip.

But for some reason I thought you were going to Africa.

Mongolia is sandwiched between China and Russia. The Gobi Desert is in the southwestern part. They have been under the control of the Russians since the early 1900s and the Russians left around 1990 opening up the country to democracy. They have elections for President and Parliament. They have been driving cars for about 15 or so years. How they do it is madness but somehow they managed to avoid accidents.
Genghis Khan is their hero and many things are named after him. Capitalism is bringing many modern things there.
It was interesting to find Dior and Givenchy in the newest malls.
I bought five North Face jackets for $171. If you know how much a North Face jacket costs here.....you know that's a bargain. They were real North Face as the factory is close in China.
I think i shocked the skirt off the clerk.

Tipys
Sun Jul 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Mongolia is sandwiched between China and Russia. The Gobi Desert is in the southwestern part. They have been under the control of the Russians since the early 1900s and the Russians left around 1990 opening up the country to democracy. They have elections for President and Parliament. They have been driving cars for about 15 or so years. How they do it is madness but somehow they managed to avoid accidents.
Genghis Khan is their hero and many things are named after him. Capitalism is bringing many modern things there.
It was interesting to find Dior and Givenchy in the newest malls.
I bought five North Face jackets for $171. If you know how much a North Face jacket costs here.....you know that's a bargain. They were real North Face as the factory is close in China.
I think i shocked the skirt off the clerk.

Ya I knew where Mongolia was just had a brain fart about where you where going. But ya that sounds like it was even more of a fun trip now.

Graybird
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Amazing! That would be a dream trip of a lifetime for me. I guess my big question is do you speak Russian or Chinese? If not, did you have a translator with you? If we ever get the chance, I would love to pick your brain about your experiences.

~Barn~
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Mongolia: Not quite as bad, as I would have initially expected.

Thanks for sharing the pictures; it looks like it was an amazing time. Good on you, for doing what you're doing. I think I have a small'ish box of school supplies that I never got around to using, during my 2 weekends in college. Nothing too exciting, paper and pencil type items...

Anyway, you're welcome to them, for the cause. I'll PM you, when I actually have the stuff in hand.

Devaclis
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Why are you taller than all of them? You are only 5'9" lol!!!1

Nice pics :) You should have taken that dual sport out for a spin!!!

Pandora-11
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Why are you taller than all of them? You are only 5'9" lol!!!1

Nice pics :) You should have taken that dual sport out for a spin!!!

Actually I'm only 5"6...you saw me in heels that time. Short little people aren't they? I love 'em.

Pandora-11
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Amazing! That would be a dream trip of a lifetime for me. I guess my big question is do you speak Russian or Chinese? If not, did you have a translator with you? If we ever get the chance, I would love to pick your brain about your experiences.

I don't speak anything except English and a little bad French. We had an interpreter who was Mongolian and amazing. Many of the people can make out some rudimentary English in the city. The rest....I motioned a lot.
I'd love to talk about it sometime. Trip of a lifetime.

BTW....they made it clear that they are not fond of Chinese.

Devaclis
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
That is why there is a biiiig wall.

cromer611
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
wow those pics are amazing. i would love to go to russia or italy, dunno why but sounds like fun

mtnairlover
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pix. I can only dream of doing something like that. What a wonderful memory to tuck away.

Pandora-11
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Site for Mongolian bike trips:

http://www.responsibletravel.com/Trip/Trip902107.htm