PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read the latest MOTORCYCLIST?

Devaclis
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
a couple of great articles (I can't find them online)

1 is a rant by Adam Corolla regarding how motorcyclists are ass-hats. And I agree with about 905 of what he said.

2nd is an article about angry motorcyclist. How the author, who is an avid biker himself, felt the urge to be violent towards a rude motorcyclist.

Both pretty interesting reads. If you can find them, post them up here. I think a lot of people would enjoy reading them.

Matty
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
ya read those both......

salsashark
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM
...the only two articles I read when it showed up.

ChrisCBX
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I thought the article "Permanent Waves" was interesting. The author, Mike Seate, actually thinks that motorcyclists waving at each other is pointless. I don't agree with him but he definitely has a negative opinion regarding waving bikers.

The letters to the editor section was fun. The usual agruments regarding Motorcyclists supposed anti-cruiser bike bias. Some of the editors replies were good.:)

konichd
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I believe these are the two articles :)

Devaclis
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Perfect, thanks DK :)

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I thought the article "Permanent Waves" was interesting. The author, Mike Seate, actually thinks that motorcyclists waving at each other is pointless. I don't agree with him but he definitely has a negative opinion regarding waving bikers.
Why do bikers wave at each other? My parents had a Corvette when I was a kid and they always waved at other Vette's too. As a little kid, I thought it looked kind of stupid. As an adult on a bike, it kind of looks gay to me.

Hi!! Wave, wave!! I'm on a bike too!! Look at me!! I just don't get it. Do mopeds wave at each other? Do Hyundai drivers wave at each other? I bet Hummer drivers do...

Devaclis
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
it is about feeling like part of a group. You wouldn't understand, it's a Jeep thang.

Zach929rr
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks Dave. I have always hated Adam Corolla, but he always make me laugh.

Wyck
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Damn ninja'd! I was just gonna say jeep drivers do it too...

konichd
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I agree with Dean, you wave, you are gay....Wow you got a bike, big woop, I only wave at people I know, even then I flip most of them off :)

Shea
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Cause it takes so much damn energy to be cordial. I mean seriously, it is far more efficient to just be a dick.

Devaclis
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I don't wave at people either. Since I am one I think it retarded to have to wave at another one. What a pain in the ass.

Motodrew
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Is it possible that its also a good way to warn others of the road ahead? If there may be some debris or police the proper hand signals can be used to alert other riders. If a simple wave is given it should represent a clear road ahead (although I don't assume this with all riders). Be nice if we all followed this formula...

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Good Read :up:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/corolla2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/Corolla.jpg

ChrisCBX
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Cause it takes so much damn energy to be cordial. I mean seriously, it is far more efficient to just be a dick.

Being a dick is usually the path of least resistance as well. Thats why so many dudes are or at least claim to be a dick.

Shea
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I don't wave at people either. Since I am one I think it retarded to have to wave at another one. What a pain in the ass.

Yeah but I already knew you were a dick :)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
http://media.golmao.com/photos/2009/06/20/48c88e55ea36.jpg

McVaaahhh
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I like this quote...

dm_gsxr
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Why do bikers wave at each other? My parents had a Corvette when I was a kid and they always waved at other Vette's too. As a little kid, I thought it looked kind of stupid. As an adult on a bike, it kind of looks gay to me.

Hi!! Wave, wave!! I'm on a bike too!! Look at me!! I just don't get it. Do mopeds wave at each other? Do Hyundai drivers wave at each other? I bet Hummer drivers do...

The funny thing. Back in the 70's when I started riding, we didn't _wave_ at each other. No piddling :slappers: "hi, how're you doing" pansy assed wave.

It was the Black Panther, Solidarity fist in the air. We are brothers sharing the same dangers of the road and the possibility of breakdowns. If I see you on the side of the road, I _will_ stop to help and I expect the same in return. Back then we didn't have a cell phone to call a tow truck. If it broke down, you fixed it or you pushed it.

When I got back on bikes after my long hiatus, I did the fist in the air a few times. "I'm back on the bike, welcome brother." And felt foolish when people _waved_ at me. Or even the two finger V wave. Is that for Harley or V-Twin bikes only? Are we supposed to poke fun at the non-Harley riders? "Ha ha, I'm riding a V and you're not."

Carl

TheStig
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I partially agree with the non waiving thing. The thing I hate is when Im riding through a canyon in a corner and someone waives. Im sorry but your hands should be on the controls. But when Im just cruising I will generally waive, if they dont waive back I dont get pissed. Its a personal chase.

BHeth
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I don't actually "wave" at people, but I assume we are talking about any kind of signal to other riders. I throw the peace symbol to anyone on a bike. That includes cruisers and motorcycle cops. I wave at people without gear. I try not to discriminate.

80% wave back, or have already waved before I do. I especially enjoy the cops, because they always look shocked, but most of them still wave back. Almost all the hard looking old bikers throw the 2 fingers back.

If they don't wave back, that's cool. I don't know why the fuck we all do it. When I started riding out on the road other riders acknowledged me with a wave, or signal of some sort, and I signaled back.

I think I'd feel pretty fucking rude not waving back at people and just ignoring them, although this thread has me feeling like a sheep for just going along with the whole thing. It gets annoying at times, waving at some dude I'll never meet every 5 seconds on a busy road, but I feel obligated to do it. WTF?

dirkterrell
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23185

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Dirk
I knew this conversation looked familiar...

Horsman
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I need to get a Suede Vest, Ape Hanger bars, No front brake, One Big Hoop Earring and I am taking the baffles off tonight for my R6!!! Hear Me Roar....

Motodrew
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Great read. +1

BHeth
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Dirk

That's good stuff. Thanks for reminding me why we do it and restoring my faith in "the wave".

modette99
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM

GixxerCarrie
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I have it...but have yet to read it.

BlueDog
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 03:21 PM
This guy pissed me off the other day. I was in my car and was about to turn left into a side lot for work. I saw this guy coming along on his bike and decided to wait rather than turn in front of him. So I'm just sitting there waiting to let him pass, and he rolls by me, looks right at me and shakes his head with this annoyed look on his face. I was like wtf, I am running late to work and I stop to let you go by and you have the nerve to get pissed off at me?

Corolla was right, when drivers go out of their way for a cyclist we need to acknowledge and thank them, otherwise they will just stop caring and stop giving us breaks...

CaneZach
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Here's Carolla's rant, the audio version, which includes so much more than mentioned in the article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4qVd6E_Ec

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Here's Carolla's rant, the audio version, which includes so much more than mentioned in the article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4qVd6E_Ec
That was GREAT!!! Adam puts a little too much faith in the crotch rockets, though. There are a shit ton of ass hats on sport bikes too!! Posing with their gear and loud pipes and still can't turn to save their lives.

My father owned a Harley Davidson and Kawasaki dealership back in the eighties. Those Harley guys are the biggest douche bag posers I've ever met!! Adam nailed it right on the head!!

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have noticed that most Harley riders I see here in Colorado wave. I rode for many years in Cal., and there Harley riders NEVER waved. They all felt that there were only two kinds of riders; ones that own a Harley, and ones who wished they owned a Harley. Whether they were a real biker bad-ass, or just a poser, they were all ASSHOLES! Most of the Harley guys I have met here are respectful of my choice of bikes and seem pretty cool.

modette99
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM

whitebrad
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
i'm really a dick... i wave TO BE a dick... i wave so that this shit will all go through your head, so that in some way i will have forced myself upon you and your mind... either i will have made you sort of happy and will have made you wave back in that grand silliness, or, my favorite, i have pissed you off! i have made you sit there and think, on your bike, riding down the road, "what a fag, why the fuck do they keep fucking waving... and etc... and then i have hopefully ruined a small part of your day!

always nice to give you a nice little fuck you that seems nice, kinda like a syphilitic whore... you think it's a gift, but not really

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
i'm really a dick... i wave TO BE a dick... i wave so that this shit will all go through your head, so that in some way i will have forced myself upon you and your mind... either i will have made you sort of happy and will have made you wave back in that grand silliness, or, my favorite, i have pissed you off! i have made you sit there and think, on your bike, riding down the road, "what a fag, why the fuck do they keep fucking waving... and etc... and then i have hopefully ruined a small part of your day!

always nice to give you a nice little fuck you that seems nice, kinda like a syphilitic whore... you think it's a gift, but not reallyDamn!! You are a dick!! Do you have any idea of how many nights you've kept me awake wondering who that masked waving guy was?!?!? Shit!! All those lost nights of sleep!!!!

whitebrad
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Damn!! You are a dick!! Do you have any idea of how many nights you've kept me awake wondering who that masked waving guy was?!?!? Shit!! All those lost nights of sleep!!!!

YES! 1 down...