PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 208 GP feedback

Devil954
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Has anyone used both the American made and the U.K. made 208 GP's to race on, and if so what difference if any was there between them . Any feedback???

Lel
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
The 208 UK rears are awesome. a medium 208 is a great tire, the soft 208 will wear pretty quickly, but will stick excellent. There is nothing better than the 208 us front, 208 uk rear. The fall off is very linear, very predictible and slides are extremely controlable.

Now the US rear.... the US rear is quite a bit different from the UK rear. A US med rear compound is a lot like a med uk rear, however has a life a bit closer to a UK soft rear. The fall off is a bit faster but still as predictable and reliable. Its one of those get what you pay for, by offering a US rear tire at a cheaper price, you are getting that, a cheaper tire.

I have A LOT more I can say about the UK vs US tires, but dont feel like typing! haha hit me up at the track soon ill tell you more about them.

I love the US front/Uk rear combination and will probably continue to run those tires from mark newby at RMRT(will know soon :)) Also there is a new tire, the 209 that is coming out that I am looking forward to trying.

Devil954
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I just bought 3 sets today so I am trying to see what I am in for , I used Michelin all year last year but they jacked the prices through the roof on them things so its time to switch you know the mark up on tires is like 200% :lol: I cant see paying almost 400 bucks for something that only lasts 2 days :roll:

ebazyl
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Actualy it is not going to be called the 209, that is just a codename for the project. I think it is going to be called like "Sportmax GP". Talk to you tire vendor, you should know more on the subject then some one running Michelin for next season.

Devil954- Talk to Schellenger, there is a cheaper alternative when it comes to DOTs. I think they retail for like 310. Just tell him 400 is too much.

Lel
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Actualy it is not going to be called the 209, that is just a codename for the project. I think it is going to be called like "Sportmax GP". Talk to you tire vendor, you should know more on the subject then some one running Michelin for next season.

agreed, but RIGHT NOW they are called 209's there isnt an official name yet, hense why I referred to them as 209's.

friscokidd
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Ed, i was getting DOT H2's for 305 from mark. 400 sounds like a high price slick??

Devil954
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
it was 370 for the power pilots I am sure the old ones wont be that bad

Lel
Mon Feb 28th, 2005, 09:38 PM
BTW you can see a picture of the new dunlops on page 31 of the march 2005 RRW..... referred to as the D209 GP (but btw... the 208's are already 'sportmax' tires, they just have a model # on them)

Hahah you and your rumor mill... might as well call them Doughnut GP's to throw more rumors out there, one of those things where people should wait until its official.

lel

ebazyl
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
I did not know that RRW was the bible of tire naming convensions. Plus I said that 209 is the codename, hence the current name.
...and you are correct, the current ones do say Sportmax on them.

it was 370 for the power pilots I am sure the old ones wont be that bad

- I think that is for like the power pr4 and pr5, the medium compound might be cheaper. :|

However, I think newby might be willing to sell you a tire for cheaper so call him and find out what the prices are. However the cheapest tires I think are Bridgestone.

As for my personal preference Michelin Power is not the same thing as the Dunlop US tires.

Hoopty
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Also- keep in mind that Bridgestone DOUBLED their contingency $ this year!!! :D

ebazyl
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Really? Is it up on the website yet?

Hoopty
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
I don't know, I haven't looked. That's just what Brian was saying. :siesta: 8)

ebazyl
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
So what does SS pay?
what does AMO pay?

Hoopty
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
I think it was $100 for first last year, now it's $200. :siesta:

Lel
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
The dunlops when they are 'finalized' will probably not even have the number 209 printed on them anywhere, and will then take the name sportmax gp's. RRW isnt 'the bible' but it is more accurate than flinging rumors.

The US Rear is going to change, as will the UK rears. The tires that are out there now are just being finished off before the 'new' tires come out. There is a new slick front that is a tripple compound tire, and the uk rear and us rear will be coming out w/ the tripple compound as well.

lel

Hoopty
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
What difference does it make? You still have to buy them from Newby. :lol: :no: :loser:

Lel
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Theres nothing wrong w/ newby; just doesnt like putting tires on bikes that spend more time off the tires than on them!!!! :lol: :lol:

Hoopty
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
"Theres nothing wrong w/ newby"

You're kidding, right? :wtf: If not, you are the first person I've heard say that, including guys that buy his tires. :no: I have nothing against Dunlop tires, I would probably run them if ANYONE else sold them. Nothing like a pompous ass going around checking your tires on race day telling you that you are going to crash because you aren't on Dunlops. :roll: :321:

Lel
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:59 PM
Ill give you that... there are some wierd things he says or does sometimes, and jesus he can talk for hours... but everyone has their thing. Gotta take newby w/ a grain of salt, if your able to do that youll be fine, for the most part he pays attention to your shit and is even willing to do changes at home whenever you need it; ANYTIME. Last time I think we did 20 tires at 11:00 pm last month.

lel

Hoopty
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
I'd rather just go to the races, buy my tires, and put them on. :dunno: I'd be pissed if there were 20+ different kinds of tires, especially if I couldn't get the same ones all the time... :wtf:

ebazyl
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Theres nothing wrong w/ newby.

:slap: Are you smoking crack? Mark Newby? Man, that guy might have good intensions, but its Mark Newby.

"These tires will make you go 3 second faster" is what he told Jensen, hmm 1:29s at Pueblo on a SuperSport 600 is not bad.

Lel
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
"These tires will make you go 3 second faster" is what he told Jensen, hmm 1:29s at Pueblo on a SuperSport 600 is not bad.

now did you hear this from jensen (at which point ill eat crow) or you flinging rumors around AGAIN :) hahahah

Anonymous
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Theres nothing wrong w/ newby.

:slap: Are you smoking crack? Mark Newby? Man, that guy might have good intensions, but its Mark Newby.

I've heard up to 4 seconds on Dunlops. :lol:

Guess Turpin shoulda been on Dunlops when he set those records, he'd have gone 3 seconds faster! Hell it's a damn wonder those shitty Michelins didn't make him wreck. :roll:

BlueDevil
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Interesting hearing about Dunlops and Newby. Ive ridden Bridge and Mich....Never the Dunlops....

Devil954
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Bridgestone contingency ??? they only pay out to 3rd place with first at $100.00 and they also were up over $300.00 I was gonna try the new ones but getting Dunlops for 279.00 per set no matter who you buy them from is a steal compared to any brand out there ,That is a Dunlop special going on not a Newby special you can get that price from anyone who sells 208 GP's it is posted on Dunlop's web-site www.sporttire.com

ebazyl
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM

now did you hear this from jensen (at which point ill eat crow) or you flinging rumors around AGAIN :) hahahah

Nope from Schellenger and Brian TK. I did hear Newby running aroung the pits in New Mexico saying EXACTLY that.

Lel
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
OK rumor boy :)

ebazyl
Thu Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
:lol:

Lel
Fri Mar 4th, 2005, 01:01 AM
[quote="ebazyl";p="182512"]:lol: quote]

:lol: :hump: :yay:

haha vn, hahah

:vader: :321:

Ill make sure to tie your bike down 'special' in my trailer sunday, ill check over your brakes for you too! LOL

lel

Hoopty
Fri Mar 4th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Bridgestone contingency ??? they only pay out to 3rd place with first at $100.00 and they also were up over $300.00

I dunno man, I was getting my 001's last year for $220/set. :P And I earned plenty of contingency on those tires. This year I'm on for Team Bridgestone again, and I'm paying significantly less than $279/set for the 002's. :D All that with twice the contingency? I think I will stick with them. I've only spent maybe 1/2 hr or so of hard riding on the new (to me) 002's but I'm loving them so far. 8) :siesta: