PDA

View Full Version : 2005 R1 suspension

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
It feels like I have to really fight the bike at times in cornering. Maybe its do to a stiff suspension. I even tried reading the sticky on how to adjust the bike suspension. Even reading http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle_suspension/index.html I have no idea how to do it or where to start.:banghead:

Does anyone know how to set up the bike? Or knows of a shop that wont charge a arm and a leg to set on up?

Thanks
Shawn

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
what is it doing in the corners? is the problem at turn entry, mid corner or exit?

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Turn entry

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Turn entry

so when you turn in what does it do?

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
It just feel really stiff in the turn in. Also the bike wants to sit up.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM
It just feel really stiff in the turn in. Also the bike wants to sit up.

so it feels slow and sluggish on turn in? is the bike wanting to sit up before or after you start rolling the throttle?

Airreed
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I bet you never had this issue with you 600rr....

pannetron
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
the FIRST thing to do is to set the correct suspension sag by correctly adjusting the front and rear springs for your weight. There are several good write ups on how to do it -- all you need is a ruler, a zip tie and a couple of friends to help.

As for "sitting up" in a turn, I'd hazard a guess that you have the fork rebound damping set too soft and/or the compression damping set too stiff. The bike wanting to stand up is often do to the forks ending up extended which decreases the rake and makes it more difficult to steer.

Where in the adjustment range have you set things for *each* adjustment? We can't really help until we know where you are starting from. Get a notebook and start making records of all the adjustments.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:02 PM
so it feels slow and sluggish on turn in? is the bike wanting to sit up before or after you start rolling the throttle?

Year it feels sluggish, and its after I roll on the throttle. It feel like a fight just trying to enter a turn. After I get the bike leaning it feel good.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I bet you never had this issue with you 600rr....

Lol but the honda was also lighter.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
the FIRST thing to do is to set the correct suspension sag by correctly adjusting the front and rear springs for your weight. There are several good write ups on how to do it -- all you need is a ruler, a zip tie and a couple of friends to help.

As for "sitting up" in a turn, I'd hazard a guess that you have the fork rebound damping set too soft and/or the compression damping set too stiff. The bike wanting to stand up is often do to the forks ending up extended which decreases the rake and makes it more difficult to steer.

Where in the adjustment range have you set things for *each* adjustment? We can't really help until we know where you are starting from. Get a notebook and start making records of all the adjustments.

Yeah I tried reading plenty of writes about setting up suspension, and I still dont know was they are talking about. I'm a skinny fellow 6'0' 140lbs.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Year it feels sluggish, and its after I roll on the throttle. It feel like a fight just trying to enter a turn. After I get the bike leaning it feel good.

ok that doesnt make sense. you say it feels sluggish AFTER you roll on the throttle, yet it feels good at full lean? you should already have the bike turned when you roll on the throttle. i am going to assume it is just turn entry you are having a problem with. before you even touch the suspension, how are your tires? if your front tire is shot or your air pressure is wrong (possibly too low), your gonna have problems getting the bike turned.

Yeah I tried reading plenty of writes about setting up suspension, and I still dont know was they are talking about. I'm a skinny fellow 6'0' 140lbs.

what springs you running in the front?

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
ok that doesnt make sense. you say it feels sluggish AFTER you roll on the throttle, yet it feels good at full lean? you should already have the bike turned when you roll on the throttle. i am going to assume it is just turn entry you are having a problem with. before you even touch the suspension, how are your tires? if your front tire is shot or your air pressure is wrong (possibly too low), your gonna have problems getting the bike turned.

what springs you running in the front?

I got the bike 2 weeks ago after coming of the CBR.

Tire wise; The back has about 1000 miles on it so its pretty new. The Front is in need for replacement (sometimes I can feel the front end slip) so I dont push it.

Note my chicken strips are gone so I have not fear in leaning at all:

I'll try to explain it a better; When I come into a turn the bike feels like it wants to automatically countersteer (I thought it was the damper at first, I never had a damper before), so it feel like I have to fight the front end of the bike or I have to sit is up.

rforsythe
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
It's also worth noting the older R1's are just harder to steer, and require a little extra communication from the rider.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM
It's also worth noting the older R1's are just harder to steer, and require a little extra communication from the rider.

True I will never compare it to the CBR 6, Im fully aware its a totally different bike. I just cant explain it, it just feels to stiff in corner entry and since I have no clue about any suspension on bikes at all, that was my first guess. I wanted to see if someone could soften the bike up a little.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I got the bike 2 weeks ago after coming of the CBR.

Tire wise; The back has about 1000 miles on it so its pretty new. The Front is in need for replacement (sometimes I can feel the front end slip) so I dont push it.

Note my chicken strips are gone so I have not fear in leaning at all:

I'll try to explain it a better; When I come into a turn the bike feels like it wants to automatically countersteer (I thought it was the damper at first, I never had a damper before), so it feel like I have to fight the front end of the bike or I have to sit is up.

here's what you shoud do:
-replace that front tire and set it at the correct air pressure
-measure your sag in the front. you should probably be around 30mm static sag. the 05 R1 comes stock with .930 kg/mm forks springs which are too stiff for you based on your weight so you may have a little difficulty getting the sag numbers to be exact. you want your forks to compress (increase rake) by rolling off the throttle and braking so that the weight is forward. if the front does not compress enough then its going to make the bike difficult to turn.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
^^ thanks man, I'll try that. Sorry I cant really explain how it feels I just know it is stiff and I dont feel as comfrotable with my entry anymore.

DevilsTonic
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Sounds to me like you might have a cupped front tire. If you're sure it's suspension and want your suspension set for you, take it down to Faster! Motorsports.

It's also worth noting the older R1's are just harder to steer, and require a little extra communication from the rider.The '05 R1 has a steering damper on it and is a breeze to steer in the corners compared to the '02-'03 R1.

Bueller
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
here's what you shoud do:
-replace that front tire and set it at the correct air pressure

First and foremost!
If the tire is worn to a point that you are saying it needs replace then do it. It is the basis on which every other component relies on. Worn out front tires will do some wild things to a bikes handling. If you try to 'tune' out the problem from the suspension, when you get a new tire you will find yourself starting over again.

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah I'm aware fully about my tire and dare not push it. I just know that I had a soft setup on my CBR and I felt fine.

SaShWhO
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
+1 on all the above advise and then you just gotta put more ass into it than your baby cbr.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah I'm aware fully about my tire and dare not push it. I just know that I had a soft setup on my CBR and I felt fine.

thats probably because the cbr600rr came stock with .83 kg/mm fork springs so the front was softer, not to mention a 600 will generally turn in easier than a liter bike

Stank Juic3
Wed Jul 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Damn I gotta hit the books hard on learning how to setup my suspension. Or just go the hard route and pay to get it done. Hell I'll pay whoever $50 to show and help me set it up.....ooo $50 imagine what you could do with that lol.