PDA

View Full Version : My front fender vs. some jackasses coffee table, guess who won?

Stuart Little
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Neither :(

Long story short, no other nice evasive maneuver so 75mph vs weak coffee table (pun intended) = death of front fender and obliteration of coffee table.

So my question is this, what are the benefits and negative of not having a front fender?

Benefit:
Slightly lighter

Negative:
Less aerodynamic
Less blocking of radiator from debris
Possibility of rubbing on brake lines/speedo cable?
Weird Looking
Water/Debris fling upwards into "cockpit" area of bike/at me

Keepitgreen
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hey, good thing it was only a fender..
Easy fix..

MetaLord 9
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Um, so how's about the details there newsguy?

I'm assuming the coffee table was unsecured in the back of the truck, but since you're not saying anything I'm gonna go with my personal version of what happened:

Some fat angry guy was tossing coffee tables at you like Donkey Kong in Mario Bros.

Matty
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
plastic welder and some paint and you're done. Or just go look on Ebay... probably could find one for pretty cheap.

#1Townie
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM
zip ties!!!!!

Stuart Little
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM
zip ties!!!!!

I like my 16 year old bike to look nice and presentable :P

Um, so how's about the details there newsguy?

I'm assuming the coffee table was unsecured in the back of the truck, but since you're not saying anything I'm gonna go with my personal version of what happened:

Some fat angry guy was tossing coffee tables at you like Donkey Kong in Mario Bros.

Eerily close! j/k I was on the HOV lane NB I-25 doing the nice left hander onto the 36th, come around the corner a lil fast ~65-75 then do the nice mass acceleration as there is a nice dip and no coppers can see ya :)

So, i come over the little rise and sure enough the truck that I was eyeballing for poor moving techniques earlier down the road had decided to leave a nice ~6ft coffee table lying horizontally across the road.

The lane is built to hold nearly two cars I was just going too fast and felt my options were wall, wall, or rip open the throttle to get the front end up just like the MSF taught me years and years ago.

The tire probably took the brunt of the blow and the plastic just being old decided it didn't like this. So i ran it down then pulled over as the fender was nicely jammed in my bike and I didn't wanna put a hole in my radiator or get sent flying face first... rode home with my fender strapped to my rear seat in shame but happy i didn't go down.

ChrisCBX
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
plastic welder and some paint and you're done. Or just go look on Ebay... probably could find one for pretty cheap.

+1 on the plastic welder and sometimes you may be able to find a deal on eBay.

Or you can go fiberglass..............

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/ZX11D1993-01.htm#price

#1Townie
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM
man its all about how you put them on.. make that shit look like stiches and it gives the bike corisma.. or how ever thats spelled..

Wintermute
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Wow. Take the horseshoe out of your ass and kiss it for continued good luck because you dodged a painful bullet there. That thing could have stuck a board in your wheel and sent you tumbling.

McVaaahhh
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Damn Stu, that's kinda freaky.

Glad you're alright though, coulda ended worse.

Personally, I'd replace it so keep your eyes out on ebay for one. Although, I don't see anything horrible about not having a front fender, just may get a little more spray in the rain. :D

Horsman
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM
You really shouldn't be going that fast in your living room... Coffee table, damn???

BeoBe
Sat Jul 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM
can you say law suit? hopefully you called the police or something

FZRguy
Sat Jul 11th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Nice save Stu!

chris f4i
Sat Jul 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM
You really shouldn't be going that fast in your living room... Coffee table, damn???
good sh@t there i agree. that sucks all ways afraid of situation like that