PDA

View Full Version : roaming UFC100 fans

~Barn~
Sat Jul 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
If anybody is looking for an 11th hour place to watch the UFC tonight, feel free and swing by. I'm right near Centennial Airport, but you can gimme a ring for specifics.

Anyway... I just ordered it, and wings are going in the broiler soon. :up:

WAR Mir and Hendo!

JohnEffinK
Sat Jul 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Damn, If I was not in the middle of Texas right now.....

And of course one of the better lineups lately have me in a small town with zero bars showing it...

John

Zach929rr
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Omg Bisping got put the fuck down. And boo Lesnar. That guy is a bitch.

signmeup
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Expected more from Mir and Alves. I guess GSP is just that good. Hope he goes up and fights Anderson Silva...that would be a fight! Love seeing Bisbing going stiff! Henderson just plowed him with that right. Lesnar is a bitch!

~Barn~
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
That fact that Hendo knocked Bisping into the middle of next week, pretty much meant that nothing else that happened that night could really have bummed me out. I didn't think Alves was going to catch GSP with any big shot, so that fight went about how I figured it would.

Mir however, I was hoping could pull it off and get a sub win on Lesnar.... But with his size and athletism, he's a truly legit HW beast. I think a guy who can beat him, will be somebody with crisp striking and excellent takedown defense. Basically if Shane Carwin can continue to improve, I think he might be the guy for the job. (?)

Zach929rr
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Bisping deserved what he got. Maybe he should quit talking shit before bouts, calling people "douchebags".

GSP just does too much training man. All the fucking time... I mean that guy really takes it to the next level. I didn't see him get taken down by Thug-life Alves.

As far a Lesnar, I was going back and for with my buddy after Lesnar and Mir fought and he made a good point. Lesnar really is ruining the sport with all of his shit talking. Buddy's words - "If you want to talk shit all the time go back to WWE". That being said, I though his Coors Light / Bud Light comment was funny.

~Barn~
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't say that Lesnar is ruining the sport, but he's gonna dig a hole for his Rep. I mean I understand emotion, and he is "the man" for now, but jesus... Pretend like you've been there before, and welcome the next challenge.

Lesnar is a lot more contrite when he settles down, but it's going to be a tough habit to break, if he constantly loses his composure when he wins. If he doesn't, he'll be humbled soon enough, when somebody knocks him out. That's actually how I see him eventually losing. A really technical striker with enough wrestling to shuck takedown attempts, or stand up from them.

Couture fought Lesnar very, very well, but got caught and then overwhelmed. Somebody who can fight Lesnar like Randy did, but who can also throw big hands and/or leg kicks. If Shane Carwin gets by Velasquez, he might be the man to do it. :dunno:

Zach929rr
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I agree. A Lesnar/Velasquez fight would be a good one to watch. It was kind of boring watching him take down Mir like he was a fucking teenager... I mean yeah you expected (hoped?) Mir could pull out something technical again and take down the tank, but I had a good feeling Lesnar was going to walk in and just man handle him.

McVaaahhh
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Good fights last night. :up:

Talk about getting the lights turned off with that shot on Bisbing. :shock: Dude probably thinks today is thursday and he's gotta train for his upcoming fight with Henderson...

Lesnar is a bitch, but it kinda comes with the territory. Granted, I don't know much about his history, but I don't want a teddy bear to come out and kick ass. And I was wondering how long Mir was going to let him pound on him. With that said, there is a certain grace that comes along with any competition...

Can't wait for the next one. :cheers:

Zach929rr
Sun Jul 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM
GTalk about getting the lights turned off with that shot on Bisbing. :shock: Dude probably thinks today is thursday and he's gotta train for his upcoming fight with Henderson..

:lol:

That second flying punch Henderson threw was fucking brutal!

whitebrad
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM
okay, something i have been wanting the ufc to do for a long time is to put into place a stalling penalty for takedowns... i mean shit, GSP and his laying on a motherfucker is just about getting old...

that being said, his fight with fitch showed a lot of his striking, but when you take someone down, you should not get points for laying on him like a matress...

i wish he would fight Silva, who would break him off really swell... but i don't see him taking any fight like that...

Lesnar is the reality of the times, someone who will make the sport a stupid show... I don't think Carwin's wrestling will save him, and velasquez cannot stop him...

of course if Fedor comes over, he would break Lesnar's thick roid-ridden skull... too much to ask for, i guess

~Barn~
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM
GSP just layed on Alves? Did you actually see Thiago's face? :lol:

I'm not sure what fight you watched, but GSP pretty much doing anything and everything he wanted to in that fight, to allegedly "the most dangerous striker" in the 170 division, is hardly what I call boring, much less "stalling". Alves looked like he got beatup by a group of people. And yeah.... part of the beating, was getting taken to the ground, to enjoy it there. But come on.... Stalling? :no:

And for whatever it's worth, I think GSP actually does want to fight A. Silva now. I didn't think so before, and I wasn't sure I really cared for that matchup, since Anderson is such a big guy (read: he goes up to 205 to fight), but after seeing what Georges did to Thiago, and hearing St. Pierre's post-fight interview with Rogan, I think GSP wouldn't mind properly gaining the weight to fight Anderson for his 185 title at some point. As he says himself, he doesn't fight for the championship anymore, he *is* the best at his weightclass. He fights now, for his legacy as the best P4P fighter in the world, and Anderson Silva if often mentioned in that same breath.

And plus, Anderson's long known weakpoint in his style has always been his takedown defense, and well... nothing more really can be said about GSP's takedowns. He's universally considered the best wrestler in the sport p4p. It will be interesting to see if this fight happens within the next 18 months or so.

And yes.... The UFC needs to do whatever it takes, to ink Fedor to a fight with Brock Lesnar. Unless I'm mistaken, the winner of the Velasquez/Carwin fight should get the next crack at him, but if Brock gets past 'em, Emelianenko is the guy I'd like to see fight him next.

McVaaahhh
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
And what's up with Belcher's Johnny Cash tattoo? That artist should be shit-canned. :lol:

http://www.fightlinker.com/pics/alanbelchertattoo.jpg

~Barn~
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
:lol:

That second flying punch Henderson threw was fucking brutal!

Agreed. And the best part was that it was totally "for the fun of it". And I'm not typically one to see somebody take any extra damage than they need to. It came so quick after the right hook though, that I don't think anybody can really fault Henderson for taking it, even if he was marginally sure that Bisping was out.

But yeah.... that fight and the knockout were clearly personal for Dan, but that last leaping forearm to Bisping's already unconscious head, was straight-up malice. :yes:

I think Hendo knocked the accent out of Bisping. :lol:

whitebrad
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 09:35 AM
a silva submitted a lot of the best off his back... case in point, hendo...

look, fitch and thiago's fight shows what being active on the ground is... so do so many other ground fighters. GSP did a lot of stalling, stalling which would have been stood up in a lot of other fights... they give GSP a lot of room. short punches are good for swelling, not so good for actual work in someone's guard, and do very little damage unless you are brock lesner or tito ortiz... or short elbows to slice someone up like david loiseau... but GSP did not do anything to really damage him or improve his position in a lot of his ground work, and rounds 4 and 5 were a classic example of it...

love to see gsp take a. silva down and get punished with elbows in a triangle a la silva/luter... don't forget, a spider invites his prey into his web to kill him (sorry, that sounds really lame... really lame... gay even... man, i should delete that, but fuck it...) and silva is a bjj blackbelt that came out of chute box... so he trained with shogun, ninja, wand, and all of those, some of the best groundfighters in the world...

but anyways, a simple difference in opinion, but i call it stalling and i see it in a lot of fights, and i have seen fights get stood up a lot quicker than GSP/alves with a lot more short b.s. punches being thrown... thing is, i like GSP, but liked it when he was more active on the ground, which he has not been in his last 2 outings...

GSP did also beat alves to most of the punches, though, which knotted up his face pretty good...

Wyck
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 09:41 AM
i wish he would fight Silva, who would break him off really swell... but i don't see him taking any fight like that...
of course if Fedor comes over, he would break Lesnar's thick roid-ridden skull... too much to ask for, i guess

I think GSP actually does want to fight A. Silva now. I didn't think so before, and I wasn't sure I really cared for that matchup, since Anderson is such a big guy (read: he goes up to 205 to fight), but after seeing what Georges did to Thiago, and hearing St. Pierre's post-fight interview with Rogan, I think GSP wouldn't mind properly gaining the weight to fight Anderson for his 185 title at some point.
The UFC needs to do whatever it takes, to ink Fedor to a fight with Brock Lesnar. Unless I'm mistaken, the winner of the Velasquez/Carwin fight should get the next crack at him, but if Brock gets past 'em, Emelianenko is the guy I'd like to see fight him next.

I would love to see a GSP Silva matchup and think that not only do the fans and Dana want to see it but that GSP is now of the mindset to actually do it. Also rumor has it that the UFC really is planning to bring Fedor over to fight Brock ASAP. Time will tell but I think that these things will eventually come to pass :)

~Barn~
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Fair enough... I can do the difference of opinion thing.

I just personally appreciate how GSP can virtually do whatever he wants to his opponents. It may not be quite as exciting to most casual fans, to see a onesided performance, rather than a toe-2-toe slugout in the middle of the octagon.

But yeah, I hold GSP in very high regard for being able to implement whatever gameplan he wants to, kick some ass, and virtually stay out of danger, the entire time. If Thiago could have shucked, spralled, or otherwise *stopped* St-Pierre from taking him down, he could have made this more exciting for everybody. Not that he would have landed that big KO strike anyway, but he would have at least had GSP in what most consider is Thiago's world.

And just for the record, Anderson Silva didn't submit Hendo from his back. Anderson Silva choked out Henderson with a rear naked choke. That's performed when you have your opponents back. Some submission examples from your back are things like triangles, gogo and oma-platas, armbars, etc. I'm just sayin'....

~Barn~
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Oh yeah.... last thing..... Lutter had Silva in some vary serious trouble in that 1st round, right up until the point, where he went for that sloppy armbar attempt and gave up position. He took Silva down, mounted him, and could have thrown some very damaging strikes...

Problem of course that Lutter inexplicably missed weight for that fight. Didn't appear to have trained like he should have, and (much to his disadvantage stamina-wise) continued to try and make the cut in the 11th hour. He was eventually fighting Silva on what amounted to fumes.

Granted Silva isn't the same fighter then, as he is now, but Lutter is anything but GSP. St Pierre's gastank is disgusting, not unlike his skill set. Let's just say I hope this fight happens. I think it would be one of the best fights the fans have seen in a long time, and especially timely, since Machinda and Silva will NOT fight each other.

whitebrad
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Fair enough... I can do the difference of opinion thing.

I just personally appreciate how GSP can virtually do whatever he wants to his opponents. It may not be quite as exciting to most casual fans, to see a onesided performance, rather than a toe-2-toe slugout in the middle of the octagon.

But yeah, I hold GSP in very high regard for being able to implement whatever gameplan he wants to, kick some ass, and virtually stay out of danger, the entire time. If Thiago could have shucked, spralled, or otherwise *stopped* St-Pierre from taking him down, he could have made this more exciting for everybody. Not that he would have landed that big KO strike anyway, but he would have at least had GSP in what most consider is Thiago's world.

And just for the record, Anderson Silva didn't submit Hendo from his back. Anderson Silva choked out Henderson with a rear naked choke. That's performed when you have your opponents back. Some submission examples from your back are things like triangles, gogo and oma-platas, armbars, etc. I'm just sayin'....

ha ha ha ha!!!

okay, i see i must be more exact: hendo took him down, silva weathered the storm, and if i remember correctly, started from his back, (i watched the fight, but all the positions are not readily (coming to me), silva shot his hips, then went to a high guard (back) then tried a triangle (back) then when hendo got out of the triangle (out the back door), the resulting scramble led to an almost north south, which looked like donkey guard (back) and then the scramble continued until henderson got swept and then gave up his back (but he had a bruised rib that silva later aggrivated with a body triangle) and went to a mata leon... am i right? there might have been a few more positions, and i might be remembering it wrong, but he started off his back.

my point being, silva has almost as many submissions as knockouts, and is extremely dangerous in all areas. he does not take fighters down that much and uses his bjj as an extremely effective weapon if someone so chooses to take that rather than the precision laser-sighted strikes... my opinion...

so that presents a unique challenge to gsp, especially given silva's length (6'2"), weight (200-205lb) and body type (long limbed), as well as his balance and quickness, which he carries with him to the ground. he has extremely quick hips used both in kicking and sweeping opponents, as well as setting up subs...

it would be a skill set that rivals gsp's on the ground and probably swarms him standing...

bulldog
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 10:01 AM
a silva submitted a lot of the best off his back... case in point, hendo...

look, fitch and thiago's fight shows what being active on the ground is... so do so many other ground fighters. GSP did a lot of stalling, stalling which would have been stood up in a lot of other fights... they give GSP a lot of room. short punches are good for swelling, not so good for actual work in someone's guard, and do very little damage unless you are brock lesner or tito ortiz... or short elbows to slice someone up like david loiseau... but GSP did not do anything to really damage him or improve his position in a lot of his ground work, and rounds 4 and 5 were a classic example of it....

I have to agree with Barn and say GSP did everything he wanted to in the fight. Sure he laid on Alves, but you know how much that takes out of you when you are on the bottom! I am sure that was part of GSP's gameplan and it worked.

So did you guys hear that Dana was pissed over the way Brock acted after tha fight. I guess he pretty much made him apologize. Glad Dana is not putting up with that sh*t. Guess even Henderson got a little talking to for the blow after Bisbing was knocked out. Plus more work on Fedor joing UFC. Here is one of the articles:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-lesnar071209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

~Barn~
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
ha ha ha ha!!!

okay, i see i must be more exact: <snip...>

It's been awhile, so I'll rewatch it. Really though, what undid Hendo, was his inability to stand with Silva. He got tagged with a lot of shots early in the second, and was hurt. Then on the ground, Silva was a brilliant tactician. Your play by play could verywell be how it went down, but I'll check it out again soon. There was no doubt he was the better fighter that night.

Personally, I think the most beautiful thing about Silva's win against Hendo, was once he got Hendo's back, how he neck cranked the bejezus out of him, to setup the space to do the choke. If you get a chance to watch it again, watch how he cranked to get Hendo to respond, and then slipped his arm under. That was impressive.

But whatever... GSP and Silva both are witches. I just think GSP has more comprehensive ability and is p4p better, even if Dana White doesn't think so. The only way we'll know for sure, is if the fight goes down. I hope it does. :up:

whitebrad
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
It's been awhile, so I'll rewatch it. Really though, what undid Hendo, was his inability to stand with Silva. He got tagged with a lot of shots early in the second, and was hurt. Then on the ground, Silva was a brilliant tactician. You're play by play could verywell be how it went down, but I'll check it out again soon. There was no doubt he was the better fighter that night.

Personally, I think the most beautiful thing about Silva's win against Hendo, was once he got Hendo's back, how we neck cranked the bejezus out of him, to setup the space to do the choke. If you get a chance to watch it again, watch how to cranked to get Hendo to respond, and then slipped his arm under. That was impressive.

But whatever... GSP and Silva both are witches. I just think GSP has more comprehensive ability and is p4p better, even if Dana White doesn't think so. The only way we'll know for sure, is if the fight goes down. I hope it does. :up:

+1... and +1...

mebbe we should get together...i will take silva, you can take gsp, with a friendly wager, like 10 pushups... just for the halibut...

like i said, been too long since i saw it, but that's what i remember, a scramble, then a sweep, then a scramble, then a sweep to the back control...

hendo is a beast, though... agreed with him 100% about the ref not stopping it, but i think in his heart of hearts he new that only about 1% of ufc fighters would survive that punch... much less the flying forearm! course i think he thought it's be real hard to talk shit with his jaw wired shut

~Barn~
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Indeed. Loser gets push-ups with the winner sitting on their back, drinking the losers beer. :lol:

Yeah, I think in a fight you have to have the mentality that you go until the ref stops you. Even if you knock a guy down and think he's out, you have to make sure the job is done. If you get a submission and a guy is tapping, you don't let that go, until you know the ref sees it, and halts the fight.

It's not like Hendo thought for 2 seconds and then pounced on Bisping, he hit him, saw his fallen foe, and put another one on him, to make it official.

And as far as Bisping goes, it couldn't have happened to a more appropriate guy. I think Rogan said it best, when he said "Don't sleep on Dan Henderson." Bisping made that critical mistake. :lol:

http://mmaopinion.com/files/2009/07/gif.gif