PDA

View Full Version : Pikes Peak Hill Climb

drago52
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Anyone going to watch the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this weekend? I'm thinking of heading down, but haven't seen it before so I don't know the ins and outs of where good spots to watch the race are and when to show up. Thoughts?

http://www.ppihc.com/content.aspx?tabid=7&contentid=182

Heater
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Do you know when the actual race starts? I couldn't find info on the website. I've heard the best thing is to go the night before and camp out or try to get a hotel if they aren't already booked. It's hard to see a lot of the race, so taking a radio and listening to the live coverage is a good idea.

Pharmgirl
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
The race starts at 8am on Sun. You have to be on the mountain before that because they close it. You can camp there for like $75-100/night. No fires.

asp_125
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Go down the night before and get up early to get onto the mountain. ie skip breakfast and buy it from the burrito stands up there. Usually on race morning the gates open at 5:30-ish if you're not already camped up there.

They've paved it so much I don't know where the good places are anymore. It used to be Engineer's Corner, Brown Bush Corner, Picnic grounds, and way up high in the "W"s by Devil's Playground (my fav, you can see em coming a long ways away). I suppose the good spots will still be taken up by the regulars, just look for clumps of lawn chairs.

Zach929rr
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
After you pointing me to this, I might just have to check it out. I have always been a fan of rally racing, just never had a chance to see it up close and personal. I'll have to see if the g/f can handle altitude at this stage in the game.

asp_125
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
..I'll have to see if the g/f can handle altitude at this stage in the game.

Bring asprin and stay hydrated.

Zach929rr
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Bring asprin and stay hydrated.

Will do. Looks like she can go up to about 12k feet, but no higher due to the rate at which oxygen is less present above that level.

asp_125
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
If that map link is current, looks like there's still dirt between picnic grounds and Glen Cove. I'd look for a spot there. The straights are boring, the corners are where the action is. You can't get any higher on the course above Devil's Playground.

PS - Mike Pettiford of Go4It Racing will be sponsored by Harley for this race, on a Buell XB12.

The bikes are cool to watch, only cause there is a little "racing" between them, due to the group starts.

Matt
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Here's some details:

http://www.ppihc.com/content.aspx?tabid=9&contentid=162

I have 2 friends running vintage cars this year (a 1970 'Cuda and a 67 Corvette). Their in-car videos from last year were great fun to watch. I've lived in Colorado Springs for 24 years and have never attended.

brennahm
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Cheer on the Sisneros Speed Works rider 508! Stuart should be winning the 450 Supermoto class with a class record this year!

asp_125
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hmmm, the BMW Megamoto and the Ducati TerraMostro ought to be interesting to see.

Joe
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Ducati TerraMostro ought to be interesting to see.

Holy Crap!! I thought you were just making that up!
Unfortunately a quick search found THE ugliest monster I have ever seen.

Now I want one.

asp_125
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I know, it even sounds like a transformer movie plot - MegaMoto vs TerraMostro

I read about the Mostro a while back but thought it was a one-off. But it looks like the guy's actually selling them to customers. http://www.terramostro.com/

brennahm
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
That thing is creepy...

Jim_Vess
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I used to go to the Hill Climb every year. We'd go up the day before and camp out.

As someone said, the best place to watch the race is Devil's Playground.

asp_125
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
As someone said, the best place to watch the race is Devil's Playground.

Along with hundreds of other people. It's pretty amazing to see the hillside covered with spectators. It's pretty cool watching the big rigs and the unlimited division vehicles run.

*KEN*
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
How early do you (generally) have to get to Devil's Playground to get a decent "seat?"

Jim_Vess
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
We'd usually head up from our camping spot as soon as they started letting people up the road - around 0-dark-30.

It's been a long time since I've gone to the Hill Climb, but I think we usually got there around 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning.

Tipys
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Get there early when I went an 06 had to walk from before the start line to about a 1/2 mile from Devils Playground would have walked to Devils playground but it started snowing and we were not dressed for snow. Being umempolyed at the time I couldn't even buy a another shirt to keep me warm.

So to recap
Get there early
bring some warm clothes

asp_125
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 07:52 AM
How early do you (generally) have to get to Devil's Playground to get a decent "seat?"

IIRC the gates open around 5- 5:30am. There are fans who are there earlier because I've rolled up and been in a line of cars. Anyway.. If you're that early you can stop in the lower pits and grab a hot coffee and breakfast burrito or something from the lunch vans. Then you jump in your car and drive up to Devils Playground. The latecomers are directed off to lower spots as it fills up.

There are no "bad" seats way up there, bring a folding camp lounge chair and a cooler (don't recall if they check for alcohol), water, sunscreen, warm clothes, a radio (or listen off other peoples), and a camera of course.

asp_125
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Get there early when I went an 06 had to walk from before the start line to about a 1/2 mile from Devils Playground ..

Dayum! That's no walk, that's a death march!

Dogsbody
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Keep an eye out for my friend Dave and his wife Allison (Littleton locals) running the AMS/NOS Evo. They won the Time Attack class last year and now their back with even bigger stones (150 mph on the straight at PMP) http://forums.evolutionm.net/motor-sports/427836-ams-nos-energy-drink-pikes-peak-international-hillclimb-car-2009-edition.html

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Keep an eye out for my friend Dave and his wife Allison (Littleton locals) running the AMS/NOS Evo. They won the Time Attack class last year and now their back with even bigger stones (150 mph on the straight at PMP) http://forums.evolutionm.net/motor-sports/427836-ams-nos-energy-drink-pikes-peak-international-hillclimb-car-2009-edition.html

Wow. Read a little bit of his buildup thread. Impressive work building a rally car from 2 salvage Evos!

Tipys
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Dayum! That's no walk, that's a death march!

Ya I just wanting to watch the Suzuki run from Devils playground freaking snow stopped me though. We were prepared to walk all the way back down too. Some nice guy in a truck let us hop in the back on the way down.