PDA

View Full Version : fatal accident in the springs

whitebrad
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:16 AM
http://www.krdo.com/Global/story.asp?S=10720460

off duty officer killed in motorcycle accident. according to the article, no helmet, died of massive head trauma...

so very sad... child in passenger seat in children's hospital denver in serious condition...

Ceez
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Horrible news. RIP rider and my thoughts and prayers go out to all involved in the crash. Hope the young girl makes a speedy recovery.

gtn
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Damn. This is a dangerous season.

RIP rider. Good luck young lady.

Matty
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Damn. This is a dangerous season.

Not really. More like a typical season. Sad to hear. everyone be safe out there and R.I.P. to the officer.

Bueller
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Not really. More like a typical season. Sad to hear. everyone be safe out there and R.I.P. to the officer.
I was thinking the same thing. Every year is full of these, it is a dangerous endeavor, know this and accept it.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM
rip

McVaaahhh
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 08:27 AM
RIP Officer.

Surprises me that he wasn't wearing a lid though. You'd think a cop would see enough fatal accidents with helmetless riders and seatbeltless drivers that they'd take all the safety precautions they could? :dunno:

But yeah, does feel like a typical season out there. :(

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
RIP.

puckstr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The officer, who was driving his personal 2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide, was taken to Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead after suffering "major trauma."

He was not wearing a helmet, police said in an online blotter report.

Gear! Gear! Gear! WEAR IT!!!!:scream1:

The mini-van was traveling east on Barnes Road and was turning north onto the boulevard when the motorcycle, traveling west on Barnes, struck the van's front end.

FUCKING mini van did a LEFT TURN:banghead::banghead::banghead:

RIP rider:(

Wintermute
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
RIP. The girl was in the minivan, Zach. Not on the bike. Thank God, or their would be a new helmet law named after her in a week.

Cruisers and their "I go slow enuff that nuttin' bad will ever happen to me" attitude...

Drift
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out the the officers family.

I hope the child fully recovers.

That intersection is in my backyard...and with its location to Security Service Field, I have never understood why there are not turn arrows for the lights. I really hate the way the traffic flow between Powers and Tutt (to include those intersections) was designed.

pg_rider
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Wonder if the cop couldn't see the van due to sun glare. It's a bitch going west at that time of day. I just can't figure how you miss a vehicle turning left in front of you and fail to take evasive action, unless you can't see due to glare or something...

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
RIP. The girl was in the minivan, Zach. Not on the bike. Thank God, or their would be a new helmet law named after her in a week.

Cruisers and their "I go slow enuff that nuttin' bad will ever happen to me" attitude...
yeah but its still their choice.. thats what is nice about it.. i wear a lid but its my choice.. i like to be able to choose for my self..

RIP Officer.

Surprises me that he wasn't wearing a lid though. You'd think a cop would see enough fatal accidents with helmetless riders and seatbeltless drivers that they'd take all the safety precautions they could? :dunno:

But yeah, does feel like a typical season out there. :(

you know brian i used to work for the tow truck company that pics up crashes like this one.. i have seen alot of bad wrecks.. i still dont wear a seat belt.. i dont like them.. i have been in accidents with and with out them on.. just cuz you see somthing every day does not mean you let it affect your life.. i know of another cop that rides a cruiser and doesnt wear a lid.. its his choice and hi lives his life how he wants..

Wonder if the cop couldn't see the van due to sun glare. It's a bitch going west at that time of day. I just can't figure how you miss a vehicle turning left in front of you and fail to take evasive action, unless you can't see due to glare or something...

i bet it happend to fast.. he was on a cruiser.. not the most nimble of bikes.. you never know maybe she relized what she did and stopped in front of him and he had no were to go.. you can never wounder what if i did this or maybe he could have dont that.. fact is he is dead and nothing with change that..

i like all the talk about gear but it cant be proven that he would have survived this with or with out gear.. 2 years ago a rocket had the same fate on north academy.. wrx turned left in front of the bike.. rider died.. had leathers and full face on.. still dead.. i cleaned that one up.. i remember the lid cuz he had a feather tapped to it and i had seem him before that day riding..

whitebrad
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
fuckin intersections...

i always slow down approaching an intersection... a habit my dad beat into my head that has saved me more than once... intersections are our biggest nightmare, our biggest killer

helmet.
extra precautions when riding.
we HAVE to dodge them... a fight we could never win

Horsman
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
fuckin intersections...

i always slow down approaching an intersection... a habit my dad beat into my head that has saved me more than once... intersections are our biggest nightmare, our biggest killer

helmet.

I remember in one of my MSF classes, they talked about how so many Cagers make left hand turns infront of riders (something like 70% of the accidents are because the drive didn't judge the distance/didn't see the rider coming in the opposite direction) :shocked:

http://blog.nj.com/centraljersey_impact/2008/10/large_2008-10-8-East-Windsor-Motorcycle-Crash.jpg

Mental
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I remember in one of my MSF classes, they talked about how so many Cagers make left hand turns infront of riders (something like 70% of the accidents are because the drive didn't judge the distance/didn't see the rider coming in the opposite direction) :shocked:

http://blog.nj.com/centraljersey_impact/2008/10/large_2008-10-8-East-Windsor-Motorcycle-Crash.jpg

Yeah, one of the comments on the story page was "bikes go so fast that drivers can't judge the distance and pull out in front of them."

Nice, blame the biker.

RIP Officer, prayers for the little girl.

BeoBe
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM

thats the perks of colorado having the choice.. and depending on how fast he was going i think they say over 55mph your helmet really doesn't do anything for you anyways. Brain buckets so they dont have to look so far for the head.

RIP to the officer and my thoughts go out to his family.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
<snip>............. i think they say over 55mph your helmet really doesn't do anything for you anyways. <snip>.

Really? :think:

GixxerCarrie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
snip... and depending on how fast he was going i think they say over 55mph your helmet really doesn't do anything for you anyways. Brain buckets so they dont have to look so far for the head.

I'm here to say that I was going at least 60 when I crashed 2 weeks ago...and am here today for not only my helmet but my leather. :shocked:

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Really? :think:

I would bargain that in a 55mph impact directly to the head, a helmet isn't going to be saving much besides affording you an open casket funeral.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I would bargain that in a 55mph impact directly to the head, a helmet isn't going to be saving much.

I landed on my head at 90+ MPH. While I was knocked completely out I'm able to type this response to you 24 years after the fact. Again, I say bullshit.

God --- it's a sad day when I make more sense drunk than you do sober. :roll:

McVaaahhh
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM
you know brian i used to work for the tow truck company that pics up crashes like this one.. i have seen alot of bad wrecks.. i still dont wear a seat belt.. i dont like them.. i have been in accidents with and with out them on.. just cuz you see somthing every day does not mean you let it affect your life.. i know of another cop that rides a cruiser and doesnt wear a lid.. its his choice and hi lives his life how he wants..

thats the perks of colorado having the choice.. and depending on how fast he was going i think they say over 55mph your helmet really doesn't do anything for you anyways. Brain buckets so they dont have to look so far for the head.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not debating the laws by any means. I'm just saying that it surprised me that he was not wearing the lid. I would just think that a cop would probably roll up on enough accidents to see that helmets and seat belts improve your survival chances. An EMT friend of mine said that most all of the firefighters and EMT's that they knew (in some town I forget the name of now) drove big trucks/suv's like F-250s because they had rolled up on enough accidents to see that no matter who was at fault the guy in the big truck usually came out in much better shape than the guy in the little econo-box (obviously in a vehicle vs. vehicle accident).

Are helmets/leathers/seatbelts/airbags/etc. make you able to survive every accident? Hell no, but statistically they improve your chances. Would the helmet have made a difference in this crash? Who the hell knows, but it wouldn't have hurt his chances.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I landed on my head at 90+ MPH. While I was knocked completely out I'm able to type this response to you 24 years after the fact. Again, I say bullshit.

God --- it's a sad day when I make more sense drunk than you do sober. :roll:

Well, if you reread my point and examine your own statement, you would realize that your head did not sustain a direct 90+ mph impact. Physics k thx.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Well, if you reread my point and examine your own statement, you would realize that your head did not sustain a direct 90+ mph impact. Physics k thx.

K ---- the deer scrubbed off 50+ mph and checked out to the crockpot prior to my impact.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Cool. So can we have you put a helmet on and I'll hit you with a car at 90mph, just in the head? You'll be just fine, apparently.:roll:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Cool. So can we have you put a helmet on and I'll hit you with a car at 90mph, just in the head? You'll be just fine, apparently.:roll:

You couldn't afford to. I guarantee it.

kawasakirob
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I hope that woman gets put in the electric chair. Stupid how often this happens. But, she will probably get a small fine.....if that.

The Black Knight
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM

My only question to that statement, is this: If anything over 55mph will utterly destroy you. Then how are MotoGP riders still alive and well after their crashes at speeds way higher than 55mph??

I'm sorry, helmets do work. To say they don't and to believe what some experts say that 55mph is the magic number for when a helmet quits working is laughable.

I've had two crashes(actual crashes, had countless spills) and walked away from both unscathed due to the gear I had on. My biggest was at PMI in T5, landed on my right shoulder and head. Helmet was done, but it saved me and all I had was a thundering headache from the crash. I don't know how fast I went off the track, but it was fast enough.

I just don't buy it when people say that helmets are brain buckets and are only good for "open casket funerals". Yeah smacking a lightpole will kill you, or flying head first into a Semi, it will probably kill you(even with a helmet on, mainly due to the spinal injuries). But even hitting a minivan and taking a superman off your bike, I think a helmet is more than equipped to save you.

Legs, arms, torso, etc. are all healable parts of your body. You're head isn't, sustain a bad enough injury to the head and it's hard to come back from it.

I agree with what someone else said earlier. You'd think him being an officer would have seen enough accidents to know that wearing your gear helps. But it was his choice and he paid the ultimate price for it.

RIP

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
dude nn be real man.. so you fell off your bike bounced your head off the ground.. cool thats what the lid is for.. now tell me at 90 mph your head dead impacts with a tree your going to live.. not going to happen bud.. sorry.. helmet is only good for so much..

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM
My only question to that statement, is this: If anything over 55mph will utterly destroy you. Then how are MotoGP riders still alive and well after their crashes at speeds way higher than 55mph??

I'm sorry, helmets do work. To say they don't and to believe what some experts say that 55mph is the magic number for when a helmet quits working is laughable.

I've had two crashes(actual crashes, had countless spills) and walked away from both unscathed due to the gear I had on. My biggest was at PMI in T5, landed on my right shoulder and head. Helmet was done, but it saved me and all I had was a thundering headache from the crash. I don't know how fast I went off the track, but it was fast enough.

I just don't buy it when people say that helmets are brain buckets and are only good for "open casket funerals". Yeah smacking a lightpole will kill you, or flying head first into a Semi, it will probably kill you(even with a helmet on, mainly due to the spinal injuries). But even hitting a minivan and taking a superman off your bike, I think a helmet is more than equipped to save you.

Legs, arms, torso, etc. are all healable parts of your body. You're head isn't, sustain a bad enough injury to the head and it's hard to come back from it.

I agree with what someone else said earlier. You'd think him being an officer would have seen enough accidents to know that wearing your gear helps. But it was his choice and he paid the ultimate price for it.

RIP

bro your trying to put track and street together and you cant do that.. there are thing on the street that are not on the track.. light polls.. guard rails.. you impact any solid abject at a high rate of speed and gear is not going to do you any good.. that is why at the tracks the walls are so far out and you have the gravel to help slow you down before you get to a wall..

im not saying a lid wont save you from rash and a mild bounce even at a high speed.. im sayn you hit somthing solid at high speed and you may as well be nude..

if helmets are so great why did dale ernheart(sp) die with five point harness roll cage and helmet.. he had a whole cage around him and he still died from the impact..

Horsman
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I think I'll take my chances with a helmet on... besides I feel naked without my helmet on....
http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/images/motorcycle_protection-equipment_01.gif

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
wow that cartoon guy is nasty!!! tell that fool to take a shower...

The Black Knight
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
bro your trying to put track and street together and you cant do that.. there are thing on the street that are not on the track.. light polls.. guard rails.. you impact any solid abject at a high rate of speed and gear is not going to do you any good.. that is why at the tracks the walls are so far out and you have the gravel to help slow you down before you get to a wall..

im not saying a lid wont save you from rash and a mild bounce even at a high speed.. im sayn you hit somthing solid at high speed and you may as well be nude..

if helmets are so great why did dale ernheart(sp) die with five point harness roll cage and helmet.. he had a whole cage around him and he still died from the impact..
Well I don't keep up with NASCAR but didn't Earnhardt forget one of his safety harnesses for his helmet or neck?? and that's what ultimately killed him?? Not having that device on?

Speaking of which, that's why Formula 1 went to the Hans Device because it protected rides heads/necks from whiplash and violent movement while racing and during crashes.

I know you can't put street and track together. But I think the speeds of the track more than qualify it to be used a good example if not close comparison.

Sure there aren't things on a track like lightpoles, trees, close walls or barricades. BUT we are also talking about the fact that speeds on the track are in way excess of anything on the street. Assuming you follow the speed limit and I know most riders do for the most part. Yeah we all turn it up, but you pick and choose your time. In town, I usually ride at the Speed Limit or about 5 over. Just enough to out pace traffic.

Now if you are obeying the speed limit, then the worst you'll ever see is 75mph. On a track say PMI for instance. Some guys will achieve between 160 to 180mph on the front straight. O.k. think of what would happen if something went wrong going down the front straight. That's alot of speed to scrub off(should say a tire blows or whatever happens, something mechanical maybe).

The speeds at the track are more then enough to compenstate for the hazards of real road driving. Granted you don't have to worry about the mom in the minivan running you over at the track, should you come off the bike. But I think the speed element is very real at the track and could be used as a very good comparison to street driving when it comes to testing your gear to see if it will protect you.

Is street and track comparo more apples to oranges?? No, it's more Apples to Granny Smith apples. Or Oranges to Clementines, very similiar in how you go about it. At least to me it is.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:25 PM
You people completely missed my point, except for Townie. Reading comprehension, please.

The Black Knight
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
You people completely missed my point, except for Townie. Reading comprehension, please.
sorry man, thread jack.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
wow bud you must be wasted to think that leathers and a lid hold up to the same as a race car.. im not even sure where to go with this now..

follow me i know its hard but follow me nick.. you are doing 140ish.. you fall and slide for a few houndred feet and hit nothing.. good thing you had leathers on or you would need a skin graph..

now your doing 90ish you fall and your body is stopped dead in its tracks by a guard rail.. the sudden impact/stop of the body does not mean your internal organs stop.. the brain keeps moving and bounces around inside your skull.. no helmet can stop this.. your stomic hits a street sign.. your guts just got crushed by the impact.. your going to be in need of medical attention fast..

your doing 35.. a mini van is doing 35.. mini van turns in front of you hitting you head on.. now with combigned speed of 70 mph.. lets take away the ""crumple zones" on the car cuz its just your body.. it would be like riding into a guard rail at say 50 mph and going head first into a brick wall.. im going to bet that you are dead.. i dont care how much gear you have on..

TFOGGuys
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
your doing 35.. a mini van is doing 35.. mini van turns in front of you hitting you head on.. now with combigned speed of 70 mph.. lets take away the ""crumple zones" on the car cuz its just your body.. it would be like riding into a guard rail at say 50 mph and going head first into a brick wall.. im going to bet that you are dead.. i dont care how much gear you have on..

None of which alters the fact that a helmet and other protective gear give you a survival advantage, or at worst, do no additional harm. Given a choice of an impact with a solid object with a helmet, or without a helmet, which would you choose? :dunno:

My condolences to the friends and family of the fallen officer, may he rest in peace.

The Black Knight
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
wow bud you must be wasted to think that leathers and a lid hold up to the same as a race car.. im not even sure where to go with this now..

To be honest Townie, I'd much rather take my chances in a motorcycle accident than a car accident. I've seen to many instances where people get pinned inside a car and can't get out because of a crash. I'd much rather get thrown from my bike, then be pinned in a car upside down.

chanke4252
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
fuckin intersections...

helmet.

Exactly. I pretend like everyone at any given intersection is planning on pulling out in front of me, so I slow down coming upon them and, on my bike, as soon as I am clear enough such that me hitting someone who pulls out in front of me isn't a danger, I accelerate to get out of the intersection as soon as possible to help prevent being sideswiped. I started doing this years ago when I just drove, and I haven't been involved in a real accident (other than some lady backing into me in a parking lot) in the 11 years I've been driving, and this has helped keep it that way. Now it feels weird to not slow down going through an intersection.

What really gets me is the people who fly up to a turn and slam on their brakes at the last minute leaving themselves no room for error should something happen or pop out in front of them while braking. I always think they're just not going to stop and it scares the crap out of me. It's even more terrifying when these people are on their cell phones. I wish they would just pass a "no talking on the cell while driving" law already. Honestly and completely seriously, there are SO many people that just shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.

It's too bad this guy had to be a victim of a soccer mom talking on the phone, while beating her kids, while applying make-up, while driving. Hopefully he didn't have kids that he's leaving behind. Still, something like this makes you wonder why he, of all people, didn't wear a helmet.

Tipys
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Nakano crashed at 197mph hit his head 9 times never lost conciseness.
Street rider head on with and SUV 45mph him 35mph combined speed of 80mph never lost conciseness.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=283819

whitebrad
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
look, i just posted this because it is a police officer. they get a lot of extra driver training at the academy. i don't think he was a mountie because it doesn't mention that, but he has had a lot of driver training, none-the-less...

if you watch cops in code 2 response, they always slow down when coming up to intersections, even when in pursuit. if it can happen to someone with all that training it can definitely happen to us.

guard yourselves. slow down before entering intersections, with the idea that there is a car that is going to turn in front of you. keep escape lanes open so you have options. stay out of packs so you can evade the assholes workin in their cars and shit. look both ways. use your peripherals, keep your eyes active. look for cars, look again.

be fuckin safe. wear a helmet. you don't want to? cool! I don't care, that's for sure... but ride like you are vulnerable, cuz you are... my dad taught me this at 15 when i was driving with my permit. it has saved me NUMEROUS times. don't get after it in the city when there are sidestreets, and ride through intersections like it could kill you, because it can.

take it or leave it. my dad taught me how to ride and his teachings have saved my life a good amount of times in the last 19 years or so.

this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it....

be safe, ride safe, ride aware, and maybe you can be around for all the really important shit in life....

and beating the idiot next to you revving his engine is not always really that important.

BeoBe
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
i said i think, i never stated that it was a fact.. dont take shit so seriously

Horsman
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
To be honest Townie, I'd much rather take my chances in a motorcycle accident than a car accident. I've seen to many instances where people get pinned inside a car and can't get out because of a crash. I'd much rather get thrown from my bike, then be pinned in a car upside down.

Why Do I think of Mad Max??? - Goose flipped over in his truck after he took his flying lessons with his bike.
http://www.prisonflicks.com/images/cookedgoose.jpg

So you would rather fly???
http://media.australianscreen.com.au/titles/madmax/madmax2.jpg

The Black Knight
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 09:59 PM
i said i think, i never stated that it was a fact.. dont take shit so seriously
Wasn't taking it so seriously, just asking a question to what you commented on. That's all, no ill intent. So don't take what other people say so seriously. :)

Why Do I think of Mad Max??? - Goose flipped over in his truck after he took his flying lessons with his bike.
http://www.prisonflicks.com/images/cookedgoose.jpg

So you would rather fly???
http://media.australianscreen.com.au/titles/madmax/madmax2.jpg
As opposed to burning alive in a truck upside down??

Oh yeah, I'd take a Superman off my bike any day of the week.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM
holy crap i didnt say helmets are not worth a shit.. i wear mine.. i make people at the spot wear lids.. im just saying at a high rate of speed a direct impact they are not not that big of a help.. its the fucking truth.. read about it.. its the way your brain bounces around inside of the skull.. no helmet can stop that.. i wear my lid more then most of you i bet.. i ride in a parking lot at low speeds.. i still wear the damn thing thing.. doesnt matter how hot it is i still have that thing on..

to get to the question on would i want to raise the chances of survival.. i want to to but im also not willing to survive at any means when it comes to a head wound.. i would never want to be the retard that my family now has to take care of cuz i had to go wreck my bike and now im a tard.. this is also why i do not do the twisties any more and stick to lots.. will i ever ride the street again?? im sure i would, just not like i used to..

just a little reading time for some of ya.. doesnt say that lids are worthless but i also dont feel they are.. lids are a good thing.. i just dont like hearing in every thread that if he had had a lid on he would have lived.. its just not the truth.. we will never know if a lid would or would not have helped.. i watched a guy die last year and i can stand here and tell you that if he would have had a full face on it would have made the whole scene worse.. please dont ask me how i will just say rider hit a fence..

To minimize the G-forces on your soft, gushy brain as it stops, you want to slow your head down over as great a distance as possible. So the perfect helmet would be huge, with 6 inches or mosre of soft, fluffy EPS cradling your precious head like a mint on a pillow.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

but to those who feel a lid will save you no matter what please let me hit you with a baseball bat as hard as i can. i will also video it so everyone can see you get knocked out..

Wintermute
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 12:10 AM
If the ghost of the deceased were given a chance right now to go back in time and have the same accident with a full-face helmet, do you think he would refuse that? Given the fact that he died from head trauma?

I really don't know what you're raging about Town. The deceased should have worn protection, he didn't and he perished himself. RIP. Yet another example that should convince our cruiser brethren that, just like us, they're not immune to the stupidity of cagers and should also be prepared for the worst.

Wintermute
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

That article led me to Shark helmets. ECE22, DOT, no Snell.

chanke4252
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
There are numerous ways you can die in a direct impact with anything at a high rate of speed. I don't think that was the gripe anyone had with anything you said. Still, I'd rather deal with brain trauma and have a chance that my head is going to stay in tact than deal with brain trauma and a totally smashed melon. Either way a helmet will only increase your chances of survival, even if it's not quite as drastic in a high speed direct impact.

Skinbabe
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Natasha Richardson... bumped her head skiing... dead now. Thats all I have to say on that.

Back to the point of the thread.... Officer Michael Builta had a wife and two children, he was young taken too soon. RIP

Squisha
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
RIP rider. Always be vigilant everyone. I know there is no piece of equipment, or combination of equipment, that can guarantee I'll get where I'm going alive. I'm just hedging my bets.

If I'm riding my motorbike when I pass into the sweet by and by, I'll know it was meant to be. That's the only attitude I can take to be at peace with fellow riders going down.

#1Townie
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
my point is that it was his choice.. he knew the risks of riding with/without... the great thing in life is that we get to choose in this state.. we get to choose to wear a lid.. he was riding with the choice.. it cant be proven that a lid would have saved his life.. i hate seeing every time a rider passes that people say well if he would have had a lid on he would still be here today..

i had a friend pass just over 2 years ago.. had his gear on.. still died.. that is my point.. shit will happen.. that is a fact to riding..

and im not raggin about anything.. i just dont want the new riders to think that cuz they have lids on they are now superman and can survive any wreck with their lids on...

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
my point is that it was his choice.. he knew the risks of riding with/without...<snip>

He's dead. He left a wife and two kids. I call that a selfish choice. :down:

highpsi03
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
wow that cartoon guy is nasty!!! tell that fool to take a shower...
Come on homeboi, that be road rash foo.

#1Townie
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM
that dont look like no road rash i ever seen...

i say he still looks dirty...

#1Townie
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
He's dead. He left a wife and two kids. I call that a selfish choice. :down:

and its a selfish choice to just ride the bike...

Mental
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
...and im not raggin about anything.. i just dont want the new riders to think that cuz they have lids on they are now superman and can survive any wreck with their lids on...

Few peaple love to pick on Townie as much as I do, but he's right. And we do see it. Folks with complete gear riding like idiots in town becuase they feel safe. A lid increases your chance of survival, but an impact in an impact. All the gear in the world will not change the laws of physics regarding organ compression, spinal deformation and a host of other inuries that come with a sudden impact.

In the history of this board, and probably the internet, no one has ever changed an opionon on motorcycle gear. You have to do that yourself.
We as a group are losing the focus. If the guy had been wearing a helmet, and still died, it would not decrease the tragedy. There is a woman without a husband, kids without a father, and a city without a LEO. regardless of how it happened, its a bad thing.

Pandora-11
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I hope that woman gets put in the electric chair. Stupid how often this happens. But, she will probably get a small fine.....if that.

This woman is just a woman. She didn't drive out that day thinking that she was going to hurt someone, certainly not kill someone and maybe cause her daughter irreparable damage. We all do stupid things. Some days we get distracted. It's a cruel twist of fate. She will have to live with that moment of not paying attention for a lifetime. I hurt for her as well. I know 10 year olds and how they jabber and distract. Wow...just wow.

Skinbabe
Wed Jul 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM
+1 on the three prior posts.