PDA

View Full Version : Try to keep dry, will ya?

Devaclis
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM
You won't. Not if you have a heart

Saying Good-By To An Old Friend (http://willemlange.com/Yankee_Notebook/1397.html)

Saying Good-By To An Old Friend

EAST MONTPELIER

I guess I figured that if I didn’t build it, she’d never die. And I always thought we’d go off into the sunset together, side by side. They were nocturnal fantasies, doomed to wither in the noonday sun of reality. It’s amazing to me how our minds sometimes can operate in defiance of unpleasant truths and never more so than when faced with the prospect of a death.

She came to me and Mother on Thanksgiving weekend of 1991 in the arms of our younger daughter, who’d rescued her from an abused infancy in a college fraternity house. I didn’t want her, or any dog. To me, dogs were simply bundles of appetites on four feet; whichever appetite was uppermost at the moment was the one they pursued. She was saved by the desperateness of her homeless situation, by Mother’s reflexive maternal instinct, and by her eyes. They were the first thing I noticed, and they looked up at me as if to say, “Please don’t let him hurt me!”

I don’t think I ever did. There was in those eyes both an obvious desire to be pleasing to the two dominant members of her new pack, and what an old hymn calls “the light of science.” God, she was bright! Mother carried her for a month in a frontside baby harness and spoke softly to her whenever a loud noise or a sudden movement made her cringe. I slapped the side of my leg and said, “Come on!” when I went down for the paper or out back into the woods for a walk. Very soon, Mother became the one to be with, and I the one to do with.

It came to me one day there were sheep dogs in her ancestry, and that they respond to hand signals far off. So once she’d learned up close to sit down when I pointed at the ground, I tried it from a hundred yards away, and it worked! She learned to heel in just a few minutes, without words, just an index finger pointed at my left foot while I walked. I tried dropping something as I tramped through the woods a glove or my tuque stopping after a few seconds, looking around, and patting my pockets. I don’t know how she knew, but right away she took my back track and returned with whatever it was. I did it once with my wallet. Only once, because she often gave the retrieved object a vigorous shake. I had credit cards and licenses scattered all through the snow.

Mother put her skills to more domestic uses, and taught her to take the bank deposit into the bank, jump up onto the chair, and wait to be served. It was harder to train the poor tellers than the dog. On signal, she retrieved Mother’s glasses and, in recent years, her cell phone.

When my truck rumbled up the driveway after work, she ran into the yard, tail waving, barking at the driver’s side door. I opened it very slowly, threateningly, stepped out, and went into my Quasimodo routine, while she danced around just out of reach. As soon as I straightened up, her head nestled against my knee. I’d give anything to have that moment just once more.

She could sense our anxiety, always knew when discretion had to outweigh enthusiasm (as when in hotels), and didn’t need a leash. She and I had to cross the grand drawing room and lounge of the Manoir Richelieu in Québec one evening. “Now,” I said, pointing at my foot. “Right there. Let’s go.” We walked past the guests and waiters as if we were glued together.

Over time, she gradually lost her high leaps. The vet dosed her arthritis and thyroid deficiency, and bought us a couple of years. Then, about a year ago, as she seemed to be losing interest, Maggie moved in: a big, pushy, clueless, sweet chocolate Lab with inoperable cancer. I think they revived each other. But suddenly one day a few weeks ago, Maggie’s cancer grabbed her, and the next day she left us. That night the old girl walked around the house for hours looking for her, and the next day she started to go down. Her kidneys were failing. She stood looking into corners, and fell when she went into the yard. She was soiling herself, and finally didn’t even seem to be embarrassed. It was time to build the box. She was leaving whether I did it or not.

Ghoullike, I measured her as she slept: 22 by 32 by 8. I carried her out to my truck, and we drove together to the lumber yard to get some lovely clear pine. I’ve built a lot of boxes in over four decades as a carpenter, but that was the best I’ve ever made. I placed an interesting-looking knotty pattern inside, right where she could look at it for as many years as she has to wait for us. Every so often (as right now) a wave of I-can’t-do-this clouded my eyes and grabbed my throat.

Todd came and worried a hole down through almost impenetrable soil in the front yard. The vet showed up. We took some last pictures. Our daughter arrived, red-eyed and resigned.

A sedative shot she jerked awake as she felt it and then she fell asleep. The vet carried her to the edge of the hole, and we laid her on a favorite mat on top of the box lid. Rubber band, courtesy of the United States Postal Service, around her leg to raise a vein. A few snips with scissors to cut away the long hair. “Now, she may lift her head when the chemical reaches her brain, and she may vocalize” Oh, God, no! I thought “but she isn’t feeling a thing.” And finally the lethal needle, into a little creature who’d never in her life hurt anything.

Her breathing stopped. Her heart stopped. We put her into the box, facing the house, with a few toys, her plastic bowl, and Maggie’s ashes in an urn between her feet. I nailed the box shut, clumsily bending over one finish nail (Damn! Nothing I do is ever perfect.), and we covered her up. We’ll never forget her. She gave Mother another child, coaxed me irresistibly into the human race, and left me with a mantra I’ll always cherish: Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
:(

Horsman
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1228_sad_person_crying.gif

Pandora-11
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Devaclis
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I was going to PM you to no read this. I figured I would let you decide.

McVaaahhh
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
:(

The Black Knight
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
That's a heck of a story, and thanks for reminding me of when I had to put down my dog years ago.

And that's not being sarcastic either, there's not a day that doesn't go by that I don't think of my old dog Bandit. Eventhough I have a new one now that takes up all of my time HAHA, I still never forget Bandit.

That story reminded me of the day I had to put him down. Remember it like yesterday, June 4, 2001 4:55PM. That story made me remember of how it feels to lose a member of the family. For me, I held Bandit in my arms as the shot coursed through him. He slowly breathed slower and slower. Until he let go that final breath and died right there in my arms.

Probably the roughest day in my life, aside from losing Family members. Bandit went much like the little dog in the story. Everything in his body just shut down that day. I wouldn't have missed those final moments with him for the world. I think everyone should experience it at least once.

A few years later, my mom lost Shadow, her Min Pin. He got out and was gone for 3 weeks. Until she happened to check the Humane Society(as she did every day he was gone) and there he was. My dad actually went into the back to pick him up, he was so slim from lost weight of being away from them for 3 weeks. I'll never forget the joy of my mom's face when she saw him coming down the hallway.

For her and my dad they were so happy, but for me it was bittersweet. Because just as Shadow was coming back. A couple brought in a very old Golden Retriever. He was all gray and had several tumors, limped a little on one leg. I knew why he was there, his owners brought him in to be euthanized.

The thing that caught my attention though, was that the couple were crying very much and talked with one of the workers at the pound. After which they gave the worker the leash and let her take the dog into the back. What changed my moment of being glad my mom got her dog back, to a feeling of utter anger. Was that the couple didn't accompany the dog to his final moments in life.

I was stunned and shocked by their actions. I don't know the Humane Society's policy for allow owners to be present for the euthanasia of their own animal. But I can tell you, that if I brought my beloved dog in to be put down. You damn well bet I will walk with him/her to their final resting place.

That's what got me about the whole ordeal. You could tell the couple were obviously heartbroken but they didn't give a damn about walking their dog down the hall to be with him to be put to sleep. So the last thing that dog remembered, was his owners giving him away and him being led into the rooms where dogs were put down. You know he could smell the death in the air. Hell I could even smell it when I met my dad half way down the hall when he brought Shadow back. You just knew, that's what was going on in that section of the building.

So I guess my point is, if you love your animal and consider them to be a member of the family. Have enough stones to be there when they pass on. Don't let the last thing that animal feels is that of being alone. Bare the pain along with the animal and don't let them ride it out alone. And then walk them to their final resting place.....

#1Townie
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
man thats fucked up.. my childhood dog sparky.. had to put him down when i was 18.. woke up one day and he couldnt walk and just cryd..