PDA

View Full Version : iPhone question

Sparker
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
So im thinkin about switching from my blackberry to an iphone. my main question is this.

ive got gmail and when someone sends me an email it gets pushed to my blackberry right away. Is this the same case with the iPhone? ive searched and searched and just cant seem to find the answer! thanks to anyone who helps out.

tcullenm3
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Yes.. Im not using GMail, but have Yahoo as well as my work email set up on it, and all 4 different accounts push the emails through. There is also a setting to stop it from pushing (saves battery life I beleive)

Sparker
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
i know the yahoo will push it to the phone. ive read a couple things that said the gmail wont. its on a retreival schedule which is set at like 15 mins. it was that way on my blackberry pearl then i switched to the curve and it had the setting to retreive it right away.

Devaclis
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Download Smug 2.0 when you get it, too. If you don't, everyone will notice.

We use them here with our BES anda few people use hotmail, gmail, and other web mail providers. They have instant updates and as noted above you can disable this feature too.

Sparker
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
whats Smug 2.0?

Devaclis
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Don't worry, once you get an iPhone, it loads automatically.

Sparker
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
ah, alright. i thought i was walking into a bad joke or something. haha

so the consensus is that gmail will push that to the phone automatically and i wont have to set up a retreival schedule. correct?

Devaclis
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
that is what they are telling me here. Although a lot of my users are idiots. I will try to verify this for you as soon as I can :)

Sparker
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Haha, thanks. Any info is appericated.

JustSomeDude
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yes.. Im not using GMail, but have Yahoo as well as my work email set up on it, and all 4 different accounts push the emails through. There is also a setting to stop it from pushing (saves battery life I beleive)

INCORRECT!!!

Yahoo is currently the only PUSH email service on the iPhone (not including exchange). Gmail is currently capable of "checking" every 15 minutes at MOST. Rumors are abound of Gmail going push... eventually... but there is no set date.

15 minute updates are the best you can do with Gmail as of today on the iPhone.

Devaclis
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
There ya go. PROOF that my users are all idiots :)

tcullenm3
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
INCORRECT!!!

Yahoo is currently the only PUSH email service on the iPhone (not including exchange). Gmail is currently capable of "checking" every 15 minutes at MOST. Rumors are abound of Gmail going push... eventually... but there is no set date.

15 minute updates are the best you can do with Gmail as of today on the iPhone.

Thanks for the correction.. thats what I get for ASSuming! haha

TheStig
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
It wont push automatically like it does when your on a BES server etc. But I do hear they come with emo hair, glasses, and a blog preset up for you!

;)

JustSomeDude
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the correction.. thats what I get for ASSuming! haha

Don't forget, if you are expecting an urgent email, you can "refresh" your Gmail inbox at anytime.

I don't work off my iPhone, so the 15-minute retrieval interval and manual refresh is plenty for me. But I could see push being necessary if you rely on instant email communication.

Sparker
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys. I wonder if google will get it set up for auto push or not since they are working with tmobile so close. I can make do without the quick push. I may set up a yahoo acct for one particular need and just wait for google to get their shit up to speed.

salsashark
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys. I wonder if google will get it set up for auto push or not since they are working with tmobile so close. I can make do without the quick push. I may set up a yahoo acct for one particular need and just wait for google to get their shit up to speed.

They won't say... never do...

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Mobile/thread?tid=56e8d104e4d0b4c0&hl=en

DevilsTonic
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I would definately and highly recommend the iPhone. I have 4 mail accounts on my iPhone and the 15 minute fetch interval is plenty IMO, especially considering how much I use the phone for everything including VPN / RDP for work...the battery dies quickly with this kind of activity, so I don't think I would want it to push data as soon as it's received.

Skinbabe
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Get the G1, it's a google phone and it does all the cool stuff that iphones do. It will push the gmail.

Sparker
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
i messed around with the G1 and hated the way it felt in my hands. its a good phone but has its share of things i dislike about it.

Mel
Thu Jul 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have the G1 and love a number of things on it, but I am partial to the HTC phones over the iPhone and having to use iTunes to sync contacts, etc. on only one PC (whereas on the G1, you can sync with Google, which is accessible from any computer you login to). If you are with AT&T and want a smart phone and aren't sure on the iPhone, take a look at the HTC Fuze....it's a Windows Mobile based platform, touch screen, GPS, and still has the separate keyboard, 3g, and Microsoft Direct Push for email stuffs.

JustSomeDude
Fri Jul 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
i messed around with the G1 and hated the way it felt in my hands. its a good phone but has its share of things i dislike about it.

+1

The G1 feels like a giant turd. And I, for one, do not like making phone calls on giant turds.

Devaclis
Fri Jul 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM
+1

The G1 feels like a giant turd. And I, for one, do not like making phone calls TO giant turds.

You may want to delete your contacts.

JustSomeDude
Sun Sep 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM

GMAIL PUSH IS NOW ACTIVE on the iPhone!! Just make sure it is enable in your Exchange Account settings on your iPhone....

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10358618-233.html?tag=mncol;txt

:):):):):):):):):):)

Player 2
Tue Sep 29th, 2009, 01:22 PM
GMAIL PUSH IS NOW ACTIVE on the iPhone!! Just make sure it is enable in your Exchange Account settings on your iPhone....

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10358618-233.html?tag=mncol;txt
and HOLY CRAP does it drain your battery :lol:

rforsythe
Tue Sep 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
and HOLY CRAP does it drain your battery :lol:

Any worse than regular Exchange push? I get >200 emails a day through that, so I can't see gmail being THAT much more of a drain.

Player 2
Tue Sep 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I can't say. I'd been using Gmail fetch before. I just know that when I turned on Push my battery started BLEEEEEEDING quick

JustSomeDude
Tue Sep 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I can't say. I'd been using Gmail fetch before. I just know that when I turned on Push my battery started BLEEEEEEDING quick

I honestly haven't noticed any difference. Granted, I only get 80-100 emails a day, so maybe I'm not really pushing the envelope. Battery life is A-OK here.

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Jesus christ?! 100-200 emails a day?

Thank god I don't work tech. You guys are some troopers.

Jason ON
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I gots the G1 as well. HTC isn't my favorite manufacturer, but it's a decent enough phone. As a mobile computing device, it's awesome.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
It is killing my phone haha. I get about 300-350 emails a day over exchange and 100 over a .net mail account. Must, recharge, often!!!!

Still no Java support tho, fuckers!! I need my MOC working on this phone!

Canuck
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Java= Bloat ;-)

Devaclis
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
iTunes = Bloat and dead seagull feces.

Canuck
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
:lol:

JustSomeDude
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Looks like the power drop is a bug in the 3.1 software, and Apple is actively investigating...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/09/apple-active-in-iphone-3-1-battery-life-troubleshooting/

I've also had issues with random freezes, etc., since upgrading to the 3.1 firmware.
There is a HUGE thread on that problem over here >>>
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2152619&start=0&tstart=0

Stuart Little
Wed Sep 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah, there's google's native push vs a 3rd party push app (that doesn't require exchange so you can have gmail + another exchange account) that supposed works better than googles. Read about it here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10361695-233.html?tag=mncol;title iphoneatlas.com is my first source for iphone news :)