PDA

View Full Version : Dropping to a 180/55 rear

BlueDevil
Wed Jul 16th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Well I decided I would give the 180/55 a try on the ole R1. I have always run stock 190/50 cause it was what came on the bike. This time around I gave it a try. :up:

Im satisfied with the results. Took it out to SCR after I got them on and had a blast. After a bout 5 laps in the heat they were hot and ready to rock. Ill admit in the reg turns I didnt notice much difference, but in the tight stuff and the S turns...........Very satisfied with the change. More nimble for sure. Only lost it out from me 1 time coming up the hill into house turn. Gave her to much throtltl to early and broke it loooooose. After some wobble she settled in and had a good day.

I know most of U probably run 180's anyway, but if you were thinking about going down from the 190 stock to a 180.........do it!!!!

I will say its not for the bling blingers cause it looks tiny when sitting next to a stock but for the racer and or performance rider its a good move to make.

Now if I can get a dollar from each of U so I can get some race tires on there Ill be good to go. If U feel like giving more I wont hate U!!! :lol:

tmoore
Fri Jul 18th, 2003, 10:47 AM
I agree. I switched earlier this year, and the bike turns much quicker now.

Green
Sun Jul 20th, 2003, 10:15 PM
I just wanna be clear on this... Are there any downsides to dropping the size? Any corner traction issues? I imagine the factory probably only puts the 190's on for a bigger contact patch on straight line acceration? I think I read the 120's in the front are actually supposed to match up better with rear 170's or 180's anyway.

BlueDevil
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 06:37 AM
Scientifically I have no prrof that there is any larger contact patch on either size. However, I can say in feel alone the 180 is better for me. You are right on the 190. Straight line accel Im sure more rubber is down on the 190. Plus it looks alot tougher. SO far in a straight line I dont notice any difference. Even in wide open large corners I dont notice much. Only in the tight stuff I can tell the roll over from side to side is easier.....

Green
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 08:45 AM
cool, i've been looking for an excuse to save a few bucks on the 180's! :D

BlueDevil
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM
That is a + I think it was about 25.00 ish dollars cheaper for the 180 :D

rocktboy
Mon Jul 21st, 2003, 09:38 AM
they make 190/55 tire that preserves the sectional profile of a 180/50, thus keeping the fast turn-in charateristics of the 180 while providing slightly bigger contact patch. unfortunately 190/55 is only available in race compound. the street compounds are all 190/50 (slower turn-in)

I have the rensports rs3 190/55's now and I can tell you that they ride similar to the 180/50's I used to have on my R1. I only have about 600mi (all track riding) on the rs3's and they look like they need to be replaced already :cry: :cry:

something for all you liter bike guys out there to think about the next time you buy tires... 8)