PDA

View Full Version : $$ for IT fixit!!

Graybird
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM
So, the world knows that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and to prove it... :banghead:

I recently added a N-wireless router to our qwest DSL to get the xbox, laptop, and iphones some more speed. This sounded really good in theory... all the devices can see it, but cant access it. Its also showing as unlocked...

So, I'm offering a little cash for someone who is smarter then I and can fix this for me in Greeley.

~Barn~
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I wish I were closer to you, I would come over and sort it out. I'm sure you'll get a Northie though, who can help ya!

:up:

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Contact TurboGizzmo and see if he's available.

XJ600s
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Most likely, your devices aren't Wireless-N compatible. Remember the 802.11B and G? B used to be slow so they came out with G, but your wireless card had to be compatible with the 802.11G, if not, you couldn't access it.

I had the same thinking back at my old place when I bought an Wireless-N router. My laptop could access it, but my roommates' couldn't and since htey were paying for part of the internet, I had to go back to G. Besides, the only real way to give your devices more speed is upgrade from DSL to cable (if its available in your area).

Think of it like this, water is flowing into a bucket at 1 gallon per second. The bucket does not hold any extra water and the outgoing hose is at the very bottom of the bucket (so whatever flows in just flows right out). You want the outflow to be faster, so you install a pipe that will allow 5 gallons per second to flow out. But, you still only have 1 gallon per second coming in with no reserve, so you haven't sped up the flow, just allowed for the future when the water comes in at 5 gallons per second (putting the N on a DSL lets you upgrade later to cable and really take advantage of the N)...at least that's my understanding. I find that G routers are very fast with cable.

Devaclis
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Backwards compatibility is built into all modern routers. To CONNECT at N speeds, you need to have N capable devices at all ends. You can still connect to the device with a B or G device. It will just only transmit at those speeds.

When you connect a device with a cable does it connect to the internet?

Graybird
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
That makes sense... The laptop is an older mac, the xbox is a little older, but the Iphones are only 6 months old. None of these can access it. ????? We have a new MC desktop, that I didn't check, I will do it when I'm done being a slave for the tax man today

Thanks!

Graybird
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Backwards compatibility is built into all modern routers. To CONNECT at N speeds, you need to have N capable devices at all ends. You can still connect to the device with a B or G device. It will just only transmit at those speeds.

No... its will only connect with the DSL wireless Router that I have to have... Is that the issue?????

Devaclis
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM
If that is the case, the your new router is not getting DHCP information from the DSL
modem.

Turn off the DSL and the new router.

Turn the DSL on and let it come all the way up.

Turn the ROUTER on and let it come all the way up.

Plug a computer into the router and see if it connects to the internet.

TurboGizzmo
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM
If you cant figure it out with the advice here shoot me a PM and I can try to make some time to swing by and check it out.

Graybird
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
PM sent

XJ600s
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 09:05 AM

that's what I thought when I bought mine, but ensuring it would also be backwards compatible wasn't enough as I couldn't get it to connect to their laptops for the life of me. even when using mac address filtering and no network password. I think there may be a hidden way to go about getting it to work.

Devaclis
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 09:12 AM
There are 2 problems to think about when troubleshooting wireless routers: (this is assuming you have ALL wireless security disabled. Make it as simple as possible)

1. Is the router getting good IP info from the internet source? (Cable modem/DLS modem)

2. Are the wireless devices getting good IP information from the Router?

Devices CAN connect to a wireless router and still not be allowed to connect to the rest of the WAN (the internet in this case) Connection does not guarantee access.

Look at the IP address of the devices that are connecting. They should be in the 192.168.x.x range. Also, are all of your devices setup with DHCP on the wireless connection? No hard coded IP information?

DevilsTonic
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Gray bird, I'm in thornton but happy to help. If you don't get it fixed, let me know and i'll drive up there and take a look see.

Ricky
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Just to add to this, this is true unless you have changed the settings in the access point to allow N connections only (which gives better performance over mixed modes)

Graybird
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Leah, I might just take you up on that!! I already sent turbo a PM. I will let you know. Thanks!!!

chubster2003
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
did the mac filter get turned on?, have you tried resetting the router again?

i live about 30 minutes south of you, and i will be the 3rd to offer help to ride up there and help fix it :)

TurboGizzmo
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
My "guess" here will be that both boxes are giving out the same DHCP IP range.....just my guess....

Graybird
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Turbo is going to stop by tonight and fix it. Thanks for all the help! You guys are awsome!

chubster2003
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
what was wrong?

TurboGizzmo
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Two routers the stock qwest one and the new N router fighting I assume...I didnt spend too much time troubleshooting the current setup, just reset the new router, let the qwest router continue to control DHCP, disable qwest router wireless, enable N wireless on new router, secured it, and then tested all his machines. :)

chubster2003
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
cool beans

Graybird
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Turbo... You Da Man!!!!!

DevilsTonic
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
glad to hear you got it taken care of.

TurboGizzmo
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Turbo... You Da Man!!!!!

Steven

Nice to meet you, (and sit on your bike :) ) glad we got it worked out, let me know if you need anymore help!

Gizzzzzzzz