PDA

View Full Version : Flooring question

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Ok, so I'm still trying to buy a home...not gonna bore with the details, though. I currently am under contract. I've been pondering getting new flooring for the main living areas and leaving carpeting in the bedrooms. The house is 1650 total square feet and there are 4 bedrooms. And I'm gonna get new tile for the 2 full bathrooms. I'm thinking maybe a total of 1100 square feet of new flooring in the rest of the place.

So, with that said...what's the best avenue? What have you done and paid for new floors?

Here's my choices:

Solid hardwoods
Engineered hardwoods
Pergo

I would like some durability, but I don't plan on living in the place forever. I also am now down to a very limited budget and may have to *choke* take out credit, or completely nix the idea. Also, I don't want to over-update. I don't want to put something into this house that would be way too extravagant for the area.

If you don't feel like sharing what you paid, then just let me know your experiences with any of the types of floors I just mentioned.

mecham
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM
being said that..u dont want to live there forever..and limited budget. I would go pergo.

McVaaahhh
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I do my own work so the labor's free.

Lumber Liquidators for the hardwood and just get hardwood, the "fake" stuff just isn't worth the savings.
I did Bamboo in my living room for $2/sq ft. It's been installed for 3 years now and I've been very happy with it.
Tile you'll pay anywhere from $3/sq ft and up for materials and a good deal would be $5/sq ft for installation.

Don't forget that the trim will need to be removed and replaced as well (not always, but something to plan on).

JustSomeDude
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have never been a fan of engineered hardwood or Pergo, simply because they always look crappy to me. If you are on a budget but want a "decent" product... I would STRONGLY recommend the bamboo flooring products sold at CostCo. Still a notch down from solid hardwood from a durability standpoint (eg., a running big dog's claws will scratch up the finish), but they look damn good for the cost.

Bamboo has kind of fallen out of the "trend", but you can get it on the cheaps. Double check Costco, but I think it's about $2/sf!

Rent an air compresser and nail gun, and do that shizz yerself to save on labor!

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Just tile it all. You can get tile for as low as .80 a sq. ft.

UglykidJoe
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I replaced my kitchen and laundry room linoleum with engineered flooring, (the kind that snaps together) I did both floors in a week (my kitchen is huge) and my wife and I love the results, it is a huge difference from the lino that was there and it is very durable (read 4 dogs) and easy to clean. We didn't have the money for hardwoods and we didn't want to wait to save. I had the basement bathroom done in tile by my brother who does that stuff for a living, looks good would love to do the other bathrooms but just can't swing it money wise.

I think a lot depends on personal choice, there are tons of products out there that you should check into. If you need any help with install after your choice is made let me know, I can help any way I can.

ps the tile floor always seems very cold, but I guess that is because of where it is.

Airreed
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I did PERGO aka laminate a few years ago (I had creme colored carpet and a big dog....). I choose a dark oak color with a 30 year warranty. It's not real hardwood, but it' extremely hard and the big dog could not scratch it.
I bought from lumber liquiadators also.

The install is pretty easy, rip out the old carpet, take off molding (we choose to put in new molding), set a cork base and start to apply the laminante. Two of us did approx 900 sq feet to include prep in a weekend.

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
My dog weighs maybe 90 lbs and has big claws. He loves to run throughout the house, too. He'll go skidding through our small kitchen when we get home from anywhere just to greet us, then skid back out just as quickly.

So, that's one huge factor in my decision.

I just spoke with a friend who had nothing but negative stuff to say about Pergo. She said that her Mom's cats are even scratching it up. The hardwood makes it easier to just sand and refinish.

Not so sure about engineered, nor about bamboo, but I do like the look of bamboo. I saw some this weekend at Lowes...was doing some dreaming. I also like the price on bamboo.

Tiled floors might be another way to go, but I don't like the cold under my feet either. It would seem a tad counter-savings in the winter. I would think that a person would turn up the furnace more in the winter with cold floors.

For those offering help...I don't have tools to do the job. I might (might) be doing the job in mid-August. So, I'll take your names and send a PM if this is something I see myself doing.

64BonnieLass
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Morning honey!

Hey I don't know if this will help or not, but PM Terid. Her husband Fred does flooring and I'll bet he would give you some good opinions on materials and perhaps labor.

They are both just wonderful people and maybe he can steer you in the right direction for your needs. I'm sure he would be happy to give you his thoughts, until you can find out what you want and can spend down the road. I think they even live up North too.

:) Just a thought!

IT WASN'T ME!
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
My dog weighs maybe 90 lbs and has big claws. He loves to run throughout the house, too. He'll go skidding through our small kitchen when we get home from anywhere just to greet us, then skid back out just as quickly.

So, that's one huge factor in my decision.

I just spoke with a friend who had nothing but negative stuff to say about Pergo. She said that her Mom's cats are even scratching it up. The hardwood makes it easier to just sand and refinish.

Not so sure about engineered, nor about bamboo, but I do like the look of bamboo. I saw some this weekend at Lowes...was doing some dreaming. I also like the price on bamboo.

Tiled floors might be another way to go, but I don't like the cold under my feet either. It would seem a tad counter-savings in the winter. I would think that a person would turn up the furnace more in the winter with cold floors.

For those offering help...I don't have tools to do the job. I might (might) be doing the job in mid-August. So, I'll take your names and send a PM if this is something I see myself doing.
I tiled my entire house and I love it. Feet will get cold in the winter if you go barefoot, but I just use slippers. In the summer the cool tile feels good on bare feet. You can use throw rugs in areas that you want something soft under your feet. They also have heat mesh you can install under the tile in areas that you will be standing alot.

Pandora-11
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
If you can, go with hardwood. It'll payoff for you in the resale. Mine holds up to three pets.

Shea
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
That's fricking great Cathy, congrats! :)

Whatever you decide, maybe we could all pitch in and have a "refloor Cathy's new house" work day. I totally volunteer my labor. Save you a little coin maybe.

I like tile, but you're right it's cold. You could add some underwire heating to it but that might blow your budget. With the puppy scratching up the hardwood though, you'll be sanding that crap every other month. Tough choice :(

Terid
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM
(hey Terri, thanks!).
Fred can give you info too, on the pro's and con's of all those, and he's got tools if it's something you want to do yourself - but he's got to 'splain all that.

From my POV, it doesn't matter WHAT you put in, woodwise, with dogs. It will still get some scratches. I've had hardwood (red oak) and I will never go back to carpet (and it was pre-Fred) but even my 50 pound pooch lays an occasional scratch. And I've dropped things and have a few minor dents.

email me and I can send Fred's phone/email.
TeriD

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Be careful what you promise, Shea. I will be taking you up on your offer.

I just got an email from my real estate agent who said the closing is being pushed out another week...woohoo...can't wait to hear what the appraisal comes back at...I know the house won't appraise for the asking...not even close. Ah life in the real estate shopping market...I think I've found the new "Money Pit" and I don't even own yet...lol.

Shea
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Be careful what you promise, Shea. I will be taking you up on your offer.

Despite opinions to the contrary, I am a man of my word :)

Sully
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
+1 on the heated tile !!! I so want this in my bathroom!

I would go with the hardwood floors. I think :? Sparker on here was looking to do some trades maybe ? :)

GixxerCarrie
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Also...Talk to Daniel(Christian Cowboy)...its what he does for a living and owns his own business..might give you a deal! Also your his good friend...so just give him some sweet talk...lolz he has a special heart for us gurls.

Devaclis
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
^^ What she said! x3

Sean
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
There's also this guy that had a thread a little while ago. I don't know him, but you could give him a call. :dunno:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32455&highlight=flooring

If this is the place that you were telling me about (near my new place), give me a call and I'll help if I can. In this area I would be more braun than brains (and that's not saying too much).

jplracing
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
The guy Terri is talking about is Fred Roth

He did some work for me a few weeks ago. It came out great and he will be doing some more work for me as soon as I save up the money

J

fairrpe86
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
+1 For Fred Roth (Terid's husband) he does excellent work and is very rich in knowledge when it comes to the wood flooring business.

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. Shea, I'll hold you to it.

The one thing about even mentioning this contract and this house that is scaring me like you have no idea, is that I've been here before and the deal fell because of things out of my control...so, right now, I'm dreaming...but, hoping things work this time.

Shea
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. Shea, I'll hold you to it.

The one thing about even mentioning this contract and this house that is scaring me like you have no idea, is that I've been here before and the deal fell because of things out of my control...so, right now, I'm dreaming...but, hoping things work this time.

If it doesn't work out Cathy, it just means there is something even better around the corner. Keep the faith baby! :)

jhlindell
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'm about to replace the floors in my condo in the next few days. I would recommend checking out Atlas Flooring in Boulder. It's up north right near where Broadway meets 36. We decided to go with engineered flooring and got a beautiful Brazilian Cherry for $3/sqft. They have a bunch of different options they are blowing out right now. One of them was a black walnut, which I forget if it was $5 or $6 a sqft. The reason I bring it up is that walnut is one of the hardest woods out there and might stand up to dogs the best.

I've been to many flooring places in the last 2 weeks and I like these guys the best. Good people.

BrandonR1
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Im in the business also, although Im a long ways away from CO now, but i can give u some pointers...

Laminates: tough as nails, easy to maintain, some styles w/ 4 side beveled edge that do look great down. if they get soaking wet, your screwed, but remember, any floor that gets really wet, your in trouble. you will get some noise out of them, as they are floating...

Wood: engineered or solid.. your best looking option and will give u the best resale. no one will know the difference once its in if its engineered or solid. we use engineered mostly on concrete floors here. real wood will scratch and dent much more easily than laminate. but, its got a lot less sound and the look is unmatched.

Tile: tough as nails as well, but its colder and it takes more prep work. you have to put down fiberock/hardibacker etc before u can install it. so, if u ever want to change it, have fun! its great in baths and kitchens, but anywhere else, i personally think it looks out of place.

avoid your lumber liquidators places. you'll get junk 2nds and if u ever need more, they wont have it. just because its cheap doesnt mean its any good. kinda like home depot and lowes. if u think $.99 laminate is what u want, then you'll get $.99 quality and durability. same w/ tile/wood. talk to someone who knows there stuff, PM Sparker... he knows his shit. good luck.

rforsythe
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
We ended up going with laminate (not Pergo). It isn't quite the look of real hardwood, but we caught a rocking sale on the stuff and saved a shitload of $$, and couldn't argue. The quality is 100x better than the shag-nasty crap we pulled out, and as our dogs/cat have proven, it's nearly indestructible. Small water spills aren't a problem, and if cleaned quickly (discovered recently) neither are big ones like a bucket of water going overboard.

I'm gonna buy the Costco bamboo stuff for my new home office and see how I like it. It's never very expensive, and if I'm lucky I will catch a sale on it in the next week or two.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM
hi, daniel here, also known as:
PDQ Flooring Inc
21 years in the business
Craftsmen level-NATIONAL WOOD FLOORING ASSOCIATION
if we can get some people to help, I will get the GOOD woods at wholesale cost for you and we can use all my equipment
Now who was that would help?

Pandora-11
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I will help. Not sure what I can do, but I've laid parquet back in the dqy. Let me know if you need rough labor. I can haul stuff.:)

Sparker
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm about to replace the floors in my condo in the next few days. I would recommend checking out Atlas Flooring in Boulder. It's up north right near where Broadway meets 36. We decided to go with engineered flooring and got a beautiful Brazilian Cherry for $3/sqft. They have a bunch of different options they are blowing out right now. One of them was a black walnut, which I forget if it was $5 or $6 a sqft. The reason I bring it up is that walnut is one of the hardest woods out there and might stand up to dogs the best.

I've been to many flooring places in the last 2 weeks and I like these guys the best. Good people.

Ive got to disagree with you on the hardness of walnut. Walnut has a JANKA(strength rating system) rating of 1010 which is about 25% softer than oak. Doesnt matter if its black walnut, clear, african, walnut is considered a soft wood. not hardwood.

Bamboo is a fad, sorry if it upsets people but it is. Bamboo is not considered hardwood. Its not even wood, bamboo is a grass and the softest "wood" you can install. where bamboo gets its strength is from the countless coats of alumminum oxide it has on it.

Sparker
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Im in the business also, although Im a long ways away from CO now, but i can give u some pointers...

Laminates: tough as nails, easy to maintain, some styles w/ 4 side beveled edge that do look great down. if they get soaking wet, your screwed, but remember, any floor that gets really wet, your in trouble. you will get some noise out of them, as they are floating...

Wood: engineered or solid.. your best looking option and will give u the best resale. no one will know the difference once its in if its engineered or solid. we use engineered mostly on concrete floors here. real wood will scratch and dent much more easily than laminate. but, its got a lot less sound and the look is unmatched.

Tile: tough as nails as well, but its colder and it takes more prep work. you have to put down fiberock/hardibacker etc before u can install it. so, if u ever want to change it, have fun! its great in baths and kitchens, but anywhere else, i personally think it looks out of place.

avoid your lumber liquidators places. you'll get junk 2nds and if u ever need more, they wont have it. just because its cheap doesnt mean its any good. kinda like home depot and lowes. if u think $.99 laminate is what u want, then you'll get $.99 quality and durability. same w/ tile/wood. talk to someone who knows there stuff, PM Sparker... he knows his shit. good luck.

Couldnt agree with you more Brandon. Lumber Liquidators deals in excess and closeouts. what you get now, may not be available in 6 months when you need a repair or to add on.

rforsythe
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
where bamboo gets its strength is from the countless coats of alumminum oxide it has on it.

Better flooring through chemistry...

TFOGGuys
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Morning honey!

Hey I don't know if this will help or not, but PM Terid. Her husband Fred does flooring and I'll bet he would give you some good opinions on materials and perhaps labor.

They are both just wonderful people and maybe he can steer you in the right direction for your needs. I'm sure he would be happy to give you his thoughts, until you can find out what you want and can spend down the road. I think they even live up North too.

:) Just a thought!

+1 on Fred....I'll PM you his number

mtnairlover
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
hi, daniel here, also known as:
PDQ Flooring Inc
21 years in the business
Craftsmen level-NATIONAL WOOD FLOORING ASSOCIATION
if we can get some people to help, I will get the GOOD woods at wholesale cost for you and we can use all my equipment
Now who was that would help?

I like how you think. I'll through my own brawn into the mix as well...um, no comments...lol.

I will let you know what decision I end up making and will need to wait until I get more positive news from this deal. The sellers of this home need to do quite a bit of work. And the appraisal might just scare them away, too...we'll see what happens.

I am writing down numbers and names to let you all know what/when things might be happening.

Better flooring through chemistry...

lol...funny stuff