PDA

View Full Version : Flyfishing?

Sir Bacon Lube
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Does anyone on the board flyfish? Looking for new places to go and people to cast with. :up:

Riverdog
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
I have a rod and on occasion will break it out. I am not real proficient with it and usually end up abandoning it for the spin and cast lure set up. I need to spend some time with some people who know what they are doing. There is only so much you can teach yourself from "fly fishing for dummies." I tie better flies than I do casting them, though I have found it is cheaper to just buy them and only tie for a hobby. On the bright side I know the waters fairly well and usually fare well with a lure or bubble fly set up. This past weekend I was up in Glenwood on the Colorado and the browns were hitting everything, even in the mid-day heat. Problem is the fly rod does not pack on the bike as nice as the ultralight and I like to combine the past times. I generally start fishing more heavily in September when things cool down some. If you want to hit some water sometime PM me and I am sure we can arrange something

rforsythe
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Riverdog - If you are ever looking for a good pack rod, check out the Temple Fork Outfitters stuff. I have one of their 3pc Pro-Series 2wt's and it rocks! I got a hard reel-on case for it from Cabelas, with the explicit intention of putting it on the bike. Great rods for a whole lot less $$ than Sage/etc and especially for something you will strap to a bike that's important.

sugarrey
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Im a big largemouth bass kinda guy. Before I moved here from Illinois/Wisconsin I was fishing two tournaments a year with my skeeter bass boat (damn I miss it). Never tried fly fishing, not sure I would enjoy.

Sir Bacon Lube
Tue Jul 21st, 2009, 03:41 PM
I have a rod and on occasion will break it out. I am not real proficient with it and usually end up abandoning it for the spin and cast lure set up. I need to spend some time with some people who know what they are doing. There is only so much you can teach yourself from "fly fishing for dummies." I tie better flies than I do casting them, though I have found it is cheaper to just buy them and only tie for a hobby. On the bright side I know the waters fairly well and usually fare well with a lure or bubble fly set up. This past weekend I was up in Glenwood on the Colorado and the browns were hitting everything, even in the mid-day heat. Problem is the fly rod does not pack on the bike as nice as the ultralight and I like to combine the past times. I generally start fishing more heavily in September when things cool down some. If you want to hit some water sometime PM me and I am sure we can arrange something
Yeah, definately...we can go hit some streams. I am pretty much a Noob to flyfishing, started it up last year.

Im a big largemouth bass kinda guy. Before I moved here from Illinois/Wisconsin I was fishing two tournaments a year with my skeeter bass boat (damn I miss it). Never tried fly fishing, not sure I would enjoy.

You can catch bass with a fly rod. Any fish that comes to the surface to feed....bass, trout, carp. I find it a bit more enjoyable than sitting on the shore waiting for something to happen.

Keyser Soze
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:22 AM

Love fishing for the largemouth out here in WI. Love fishin for these guys even more!

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.tntoutdoors.com/muskie.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFOP3dmwQ8RqwEPWR2mrY_9txLINw

Bueller
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Took up fly fishing years ago when I couldn't ride my dirt bike due to injury/surgery, but I can't stand in a river all day as long as there is riding to be done. I'll probably fish and play golf when I get too old.

BTW There is a difference between fishing an catching :)

whitebrad
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
that some kinda dinosaur?

Keyser Soze
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
It's a Muskie. They're in some of the lakes out here.

Muskellunge attain lengths of 60–150 cm (2–5 ft) and weights of over 30 kg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram) (66 lb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass))).

Sir Bacon Lube
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
It's a Muskie. They're in some of the lakes out here.

Muskellunge attain lengths of 60–150 cm (2–5 ft) and weights of over 30 kg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram) (66 lb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass))).

Yeah, I met their cousin (the baracuda), while snorkeling off Jamaica a few years back. Scary stuff floppin about the water trying to get out with a 7-9' baracuda lurking. The Jamaican guide thought it was cool and called the others over to take a look.

sugarrey
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Muskie....fish of 1000 casts and lures that wont even fit in my tacklebox. Used to live in Bristol, Lake Geneva and Delevan. Fished for muskiea couple times in crystal lake with a buddy who fishes for them all the time, we pulled a 50" inches out after a 35 minute fight and pulling my 17 foot bass boat around the lake.......It was insane, I was actually scared when he was netted and put in a boat....they have teeth dont they?

Flyfishing is mostly for trout or for anything in that water? I would be interested to see it done.

Keyser Soze
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Nice! We're in Oak Creek. Closest lake with Musky is Pewaukee. Some record breakers have been pulled outta that place. I've brought a few up to the boat, but lost em on the figure 8. Wasnt even payin attention last weekend and had one strike my bass lure on a regular pole. :lol: Bastard almost took my pole.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Quote: Bueller, flyfish when I couldn't ride my dirt bike , but I can't stand in a river all day as long as there is riding to be done. I'll probably fish and play golf when I get too old.

I say the same thing too!!, when i can't ride my mountain bike, dirtbike, streetbike or atv's and horses or go kayaking and rafting or wakeboarding, then I will take up golf!!:scramble: