PDA

View Full Version : Manufactures Buying Bikes Back?

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
I was told that if a motorcycle displays a certain number of defective parts, or if it brakes down a certain amount of times, the manufacturer will buy it back if under warranty....

Do you know about this? Guess what bike I am talking about...

I have not found much on the subject so far, but I am seriously considering this alternative if it is a real one. Just curious if you guys/gals know of this...

D

salsashark
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
You could check into Colorado Lemon Laws... but I've never heard of bike manufacturers doing this.

Bueller
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
You could check into Colorado Lemon Laws... but I've never heard of bike manufacturers doing this.
Check into this
http://www.ago.state.co.us/FAQ/lemonlaw_FAQ.cfm.html

That duc poop on the rug again?

salsashark
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Well... that answered that question...

covers only new, self-propelled vehicles, including pickups and vans, but excluding motor homes and motorcycles.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
I wonder why that is? Is it because bikes are not viewed as a mode of transportation, but a luxury or something? Stinks regardless, a vehicle needs to be reliable and all manufacturers should be held accountable to putting a safe product out on the market.

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
You could check into Colorado Lemon Laws...

Ok, maybe the person was talking about this.... Lemon Laws, not manufacturers...

Check into this
http://www.ago.state.co.us/FAQ/lemonlaw_FAQ.cfm.html

That duc poop on the rug again?

Sure did, I have a leak on the SECOND radiator, on the same spot:shocked:. This is after the hydraulic fluid leak, the ECU replacement, the voltage regulator replacement, some wiring harness replacement. Not sure how I ever got 10k miles on it in one year, it has literally been at the shop for about 5 months total...:cry:

I am taking her in this morning.... won't get her back until.... September, bets?

D

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Other literature that I have read did cover motorcycles, weird ... I'll keep looking

Bueller
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
SuperMoto Madness!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
SuperMoto Madness!!!!!!!!!

ftw... seriously, reliable little tards

whitebrad
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
okay, i been on this board for about a month, and i still haven't figured out the FTW abbreviation...

where i come from it means fuck the world... what it mean here?

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Sure did, I have a leak on the SECOND radiator, on the same spot:shocked:. This is after the hydraulic fluid leak, the ECU replacement, the voltage regulator replacement, some wiring harness replacement. Not sure how I ever got 10k miles on it in one year, it has literally been at the shop for about 5 months total...:cry:

Geez! Have you at least contacted the manufacturer to see what they have to say about the rash of problems? Are other owners having the same issues with their bikes or did you end up with the problem child?

brad...generally For The Win

vampie
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Sorry to hear man.

Maybe you should consider having the radiator repaired. It would be stronger in that failure prone area.

salsashark
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
nevermind... Jess got it

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Geez! Have you at least contacted the manufacturer to see what they have to say about the rash of problems? Are other owners having the same issues with their bikes or did you end up with the problem child?

brad...generally For The Win

The radiator issues is somewhat common, the voltage regulator was a recall for all I believe, the other issues I think are due to my bike being a attention whore. Today I will be way more determined with the guys at Fay about what is going out with this bike, and what Ducati may say. I will contact them myself if I feel Fay doesn't care.... which is a 50-50

salsashark
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
The radiator issues is somewhat common, the voltage regulator was a recall for all I believe, the other issues I think are due to my bike being a attention whore. Today I will be way more determined with the guys at Fay about what is going out with this bike, and what Ducati may say. I will contact them myself if I feel Fay doesn't care.... which is a 50-50

Sometimes it helps to contact the manufacturer directly. My parents bought a Land Rover several years ago. It had some constant issues that the dealer kept "fixing", but it wouldn't resolve the problem. Finally, my dad had enough and called Land Rover America... within a couple of days, the dealer came out to their house, dropped off a loaner and took the Land Rover for a week or two. When my parents got it back, they never had another problem.

Sucks about your bike man... I hope they take care of you.

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Maybe you should consider having the radiator repaired. It would be stronger in that failure prone area.

Through the warranty I have to replace it, if not I am stuck with the bill, and the future "I am not responsible if you touched it" bs from Fay/Ducati

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
+1 with Salsa.
I'm not sure that I'd personally even wait for FM to make the move. You've already had multiple issues, so I would contact the manufacturer myself and if FM calls as well - then bonus.

dirkterrell
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
You should've bought that VFR. :D

Dirk

TFOGGuys
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Character: A word in Italian that loosely translated means "serious design flaws". Found charming by those that would rather look at their motorcycles than ride them.

Sorry you're having all the issues, Diego :(

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
You should've bought that VFR. :D

Dirk
lol... If they ever get their shit together for that 1000/1200 V4....:banghead:

peteremsley
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
You might want to dig around on ducati.ms a bit before contacting Ducati. I know there have been a few reports of folks with 'problem' bikes contacting Ducati NA and getting their issues resolved. I doubt you would get a buy back though...

McVaaahhh
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Sucks to hear Diego, I hope they take care of you.

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Ok, Fay has stepped up and is going to try to make things smooth for me. They are going to make some calls and see what they can do, the least to get me out of there ASAP, none of this back and forth warranty stuff with Ducati.

Fay knows Ducati will do their very best to not buy bikes back. If they get customers out of the mechanics fast we won't have a base for claiming a "Buy Back", so they quicken the warranty process... which is fine. I can kinda deal with a bike that has issues as long as they don't take weeks/months to resolve... I guess:roll:

Either way, the bike has always gotten me home; I may wait until the NEXT issue to actually file a complaint with Ducati observing the idea of a Buy Back, maybe I am in denial...lol

It all depends on what Fay tells me this afternoon or tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted

D

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Sell it. :)

Bueller
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Quit doing so many wheelies.

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
That's what the DRZ is for. I think you set a record Diego... 2 inch wheelie?

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
I think you set a record Diego... 2 inch CLUTCH wheelie?

...and proud of it!

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Ain't got nothin on the big dick power wheelie... :lol: :lol:

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Ain't got nothin on the big dick power wheelie... :lol: :lol:
lol... but u should have seen the smile on my face, which is what counts...

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I could tell you were happy :)

Bueller
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yut ughhhh!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyutughhhh%2Ecom%2FSite%2F% 2FThe%5FOffical%5FYut%5FUghhhh%2Ecom%5Ffiles%2Fwid get1%5Fmarkup%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded)

Motodrew
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Haha. Grow a pair.

Vehicle 1
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yut ughhhh!!!!!

:lol:

Haha. Grow a pair.

shhhh....rookie

PsychoMike
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Ok, maybe the person was talking about this.... Lemon Laws, not manufacturers...

I am taking her in this morning.... won't get her back until.... September, bets?

D

I know somone who had a harley Vrod that kept breaking in the same spot and he returned it for the full price

Repsol a095
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I think it is time for a Yamaha. Hmmmm, maybe an FJR?!?!

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yut ughhhh!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyutughhhh%2Ecom%2FSite%2F% 2FThe%5FOffical%5FYut%5FUghhhh%2Ecom%5Ffiles%2Fwid get1%5Fmarkup%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded)

lolololol

"He called you a chicken fooooool"

I'm going to get "Craigslist Stunt Police" stickers made now.

Bashed
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
OKD right here on this site had his 1098 tricolor blow up in the warranty period and ducati NA did not honor it.
Definatly a mechanical failure, hung piston ring.
I have seen the evidence.
He is now in litigation with them.
Consider yourself lucky they are doing anything.
He is out well over 15 large from his own pocket
to get it back in running condition.
hope you fare better.

Bash