PDA

View Full Version : New Vizsla Puppy

Airreed
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
My Weimarner passed away a few months ago and I told my wife we would get another dog. I was looking for a Vizsla, but there were few and far breeders in Colorado (those that did wanted $$$$$$$ or no litters for another 6-12 months). Vizsla's are a birddog, so I pushed my search into Kansas (Weim came from there) and Nebraska. I found a couple in KS but it was the other side of the State. My chance I found a new litter in NE, but again it was in Lincoln..I bit the bullet and made the 6.5 hour drive.
He was the biggest of the litter (should get up to 60lbs) but i bit more "laid back" for being a high energy dog.

Now the fun part names...I wanted NAKEEB which is Arabic for Captain (i'm a CPT in the military and went to Iraq twice as a CPT) or KAPOS for a town in Hungary(near a base I was stationed at). My wife was not thrilled with those names...Next list of names were Boston, Fenway, and Schilling (I'm a die hard Red Sox fan). The other name was Remus...untill I told my wife about Remus exhausts...My son wanted to call him WATER...uhmm NO. Those were the top ten names...
We decided on Schilling, for Curt Schilling and for 90 Shilling Ale (pronounced the same).

mecham
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
awww cute puppy!

TheStig
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Go SOX!!! Cute pup!

Devaclis
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
We had a companion breeder with those in Upstate NY. GREAT doggies for partridge, pheasant, and duck! Holy crap are they LOUD!

Nice looking brown bag of meat ya got there Jason :)

Mother Goose
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Cute dog man!

But I have to say... holy crap your son has gotten big! Guess I haven't seen him since he was a baby, but still! :lol:

Devaclis
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM
mow your lawn!!

dapper
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Good looking beast!

Shag lawns are back...
I hear goats are effective mowers.

Airreed
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Dana, if you only knew how many hours I've put into that lawn this year...it get's mowed every 9-10 days with a cross-cut pattern!

JustSomeDude
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I LOVE VIZSLAS!!!! Just look at those flop ears!!!!!

:loop:

Jason ON
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
I used to live in Kapsovar, HU and regularly visited Kaposjulac(k?). Is Kapos near there? Viszla is a Hungarian breed, so a Hungarian name fits.

puckstr
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Cool dog
But they (when pups) will chew (destroy) everything they can put in there mouth

Airreed
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
I used to live in Kapsovar, HU and regularly visited Kaposjulac(k?). Is Kapos near there? Viszla is a Hungarian breed, so a Hungarian name fits.

Yes, Kapos was short for Kaposvar, I was in that area from 99-00 as part of SFOR 6...We did security at the National Support Element and ran convoys into Croatia and Bosnia.
The odd thing was I never saw a Vizsla in HU, but saw a lot of Dalmation's in Croatia (national dog).

When were you there?

sugarrey
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Its a cute pup...like a cross between a daschund and a corgi (sp).

Airreed
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
He does look like a daschund now, but will grow up to be a smaller version of a Weimarner. He should get up to 60lbs and about 26 inches in height.