PDA

View Full Version : CELL PHONES

whitebrad
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
PEEEEEEEEEEECE O'SHIT CELLPHONES!!! these fffffffkin things are driving me nuts!

do they make them so they will fuckin fall apart every year?

does anyone have a decent, reasonably priced phone that has lasted?

ffffffffkin swedes... so not a nokia, hopefully... those bastards can suck a fart outa my ass, at this point...

Nerves
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
Best cell phone I have ever owned, is my I phone. Hands down. The thing has taken a hell of a beating. I dont even keep it in a case or anything. And my daughter likes to chew on it too. Now that there are 3 different models out ( 2G, 3G and 3GS) you can pick up the older ones for not a whole lot, and they are not to hard to crack to use on whatever network you have. I hated them when they first came out, I thought they where stuck up and kind of elitist, but since I have had one, I can never see myself not owning one. Though they are just not some peoples cup of tea.

Devaclis
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
My Blackberry curve has survived washing, being run over, being dropped a number of times, and thrown once. Still works.

Repsol a095
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
+1 on the Blackberry!!!

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
I have a 3 year old Motorola V3r that has survived a fair amount of abuse. I pretty much just use my phone as a phone, and sometimes as a realllllly crappy camera, so your mileage may vary.....

Wyck
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Is it just me or is tmobiles service going down the toilet? I had signal issues before but seems like the only place I can have a conversation now is outside. Half the time my texts don't even send anymore....either that or my 1st gen blackberry pearl is going to shit and I still have 8 months left on my contract :(

LambeauXLIV
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
With AT&T, I just had to replace my 3rd Sony Ericsson w580i (under warranty), so they upgraded me to the w760a.

We'll see if it works better...

sugarrey
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Ive had a berry 8830 world edition for about 1.5 years. Normally phones last me about 6-9 months but this one has held up...Although recently in the last month or so I lost the navigation ball, which makes is just about useless. So I have been using the keyboard for shortcuts, now thats starting to malfunction too. It's actually lasted and I am impressed with its durability.

Its sat it vodka overnight, been in the toilet, in the hot-tub and other damages and its stood the test of time.

Wyck
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Its sat it vodka overnight, been in the toilet, in the hot-tub and other damages and its stood the test of time.

Haha I dumped vodka red bull all over mine on New Years and it never even missed a beat...just now has no signal...but I think its tmobile cause a few other people I know have them with different phones and same problem. When I called to find out about cancelling and when my contract was up they tried to upgrade me to the new pearl that works on wifi which would solve signal at my house but not anywhere else....I may just have to eat the fee and go get a new iphone...at least I know it gets signal at my house :)

DavidofColorado
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have a 3 year old Motorola V3r that has survived a fair amount of abuse. I pretty much just use my phone as a phone, and sometimes as a realllllly crappy camera, so your mileage may vary.....
+1

puckstr
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
I just got Dawn to upgrade her phone from a Motorola V60 that just would not die

other phones that would not die...remember these?
http://www.antennaguy.com/Images-BagPhone/BagPhone-137.jpg

Spiderman
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
in the last month or so I lost the navigation ball,
Try rubbing alcohol - just a dab on the tip of your finger then roll the ball around to clean the contacts/pick-ups/readers/whateveritisthatmakesitwork. 8)

I've never had a problem with my nokias (from '99 - '07), and currently have had my Blackberry Pearl 8100 for over 2 years, and while it's pretty beat up, it still works just fine (although the quirks inherent to the latest O/S can be annoying at times).

Rocket
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
+1 for the iPhone it's the best phone I've ever had. If your on the Internet and you check your email a lot this thing is a mini computer in your pocket. I pretty much make every post on this site with my iPhone. I've had all three models and each one was better then the last. The 3g and 3gs are pretty much the same with the apple updates they bring out you can do just about everything on each phone. My 3g was unlocked and jail broken to do a lot more that apple hasn't brought out yet but will, after I unlocked it it made the phone slower by quite a bit and would drain my battery faster then the stock version also after it was unlocked and jail broken I could not update my phone threw apple or it would erase all the extra stuff I did. Don't get me wrong the stuff it did was really cool it opened my eyes to just what this thing can do I had a video recorder on my phone movie backgrounds behind your apps and alot more and all for free a good six mounths before apple brought it out. Now I'm hooked. Apple brings out updates every few mounths to give you more things the phone can do. If your looking for a new phone I recomend the iPhone.

Zanos
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Just got me a BlackBerry Tour. Absolutely love the thing.

sugarrey
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Try rubbing alcohol - just a dab on the tip of your finger then roll the ball around to clean the contacts/pick-ups/readers/whateveritisthatmakesitwork.

I lost the ball bro, I wish I could clean it...I physically lost the ball, and I think my dog ate it....UGH

Mac020
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
I'm on my 3rd LG in less than a year.:banghead:
On a 2 year contract!

Mel
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have the G1....holds up pretty well I guess...my co worker has run over his, spilled water on it, and had his 2 year old son toss it out a 2nd story window onto a bed of rocks and still works after a year.

Mizzybeff
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
so I work for tech support at t-mobile (lol) and I can tell you phones are phones I had a v3 that is still running wonderfully I have a v8 rzr2 thats made out of titanium and it sarted to crap out when my ex threw it at me and hit me in the head. now I have a memior which I LOVE!!!! but it depends on the person and the phone. :)

BTW phones and liquid of anykind usually don't mix. I don't suggest it. lol

kevplus2
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
just replaced a nokia with an lg xenon. pretty impressed so far

Scribbler
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I lost the ball bro, I wish I could clean it...I physically lost the ball, and I think my dog ate it....UGH
You can get a new trackball at any store that deals in BB's for like $3. :)

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Just got me a BlackBerry Tour. Absolutely love the thing.
Oh really??? I've been wanting to look at the Tours, but haven't been able to get to a store since they got released. Is this your first BB? If not, which one did you switch from?

whitebrad
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
so I work for tech support at t-mobile (lol) and I can tell you phones are phones I had a v3 that is still running wonderfully I have a v8 rzr2 thats made out of titanium and it sarted to crap out when my ex threw it at me and hit me in the head. now I have a memior which I LOVE!!!! but it depends on the person and the phone. :)

BTW phones and liquid of anykind usually don't mix. I don't suggest it. lol

i love the customer service at t-mobile... it's the company that makes me all violent and shit... what a bunch of sacks of shit...

Zanos
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Oh really??? I've been wanting to look at the Tours, but haven't been able to get to a store since they got released. Is this your first BB? If not, which one did you switch from?

This is actually my first BB. I have never understood the hype for any smart phone. I ended up leaving a prior provider after numerous phone issues not caused by me.

So I thought I would break down, spend the money, and join the BB/iPhone club.

Prior to the Tour coming in, I used a flip Pearl. That thing was much harder to use than the Tour. The tour is fast and does it all.

The only issue I have had is when I got carried away downloading apps and several apps (Pandora, etc) stopped responding. Not sure what happened to it, so i just wiped it and started fresh. Works fine again.

If you read and BB forums, everyone says the Tour is better than the Storm and Curve. Faster, sharper, better camera, better web browsing, etc.

You are more than welcome to play with my phone sometime if I ever make it to an event.

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
The only issue I have had is when I got carried away downloading apps and several apps (Pandora, etc) stopped responding. Not sure what happened to it, so i just wiped it and started fresh. Works fine again.

You are more than welcome to play with my phone sometime if I ever make it to an event.
Have you downloaded QuickPull for it yet? I have it and set it to run at 3AM every day. It simulates pulling the battery from your device and cleans the memory up. You really should do a pull (manual or QuickPull) at least once a week to keep things running smooth, but every day works wonders! It will also help when ya go crazy with the apps (I've done it too).

Heck yes..I'd love to take a gander at it if you're ever at the same place as me!

Sorry for the threadjack...I'm done! LOL

Zanos
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Have you downloaded QuickPull for it yet? I have it and set it to run at 3AM every day. It simulates pulling the battery from your device and cleans the memory up. You really should do a pull (manual or QuickPull) at least once a week to keep things running smooth, but every day works wonders! It will also help when ya go crazy with the apps (I've done it too).

Heck yes..I'd love to take a gander at it if you're ever at the same place as me!

Sorry for the threadjack...I'm done! LOL

That was one of the apps I downloaded. And maybe it was not the issue, but I felt like that was locking up. I am scared to download junk now because I dont want it to lock up or conflict with other stuff, as it is running good now. I hear that the app is needed for BB. I cant tell how full my memory is. And cant use my microSD but for music i guess. I am confused on all the changes and uses still...

Scribbler
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 11:54 PM
That was one of the apps I downloaded. And maybe it was not the issue, but I felt like that was locking up. I am scared to download junk now because I dont want it to lock up or conflict with other stuff, as it is running good now. I hear that the app is needed for BB. I cant tell how full my memory is. And cant use my microSD but for music i guess. I am confused on all the changes and uses still...
If your BB is slowing down, or seeming to lockup, it's because you have too many background apps running at the same time eating up your device's cpu. Unless you wish to intentionally leave an app running in the background, do not use the End key to close an app (that just sends to to a background process). Usually using the Escape key is good practice, but even some apps won't close out if you use that key. Best bet is to use the BBMenu key while that app is in the foreground, and select either Close or Exit.

The BB Tour has more than enough memory, so I'm pretty sure your device's cpu is getting over extended. You can hold down your BBMenu key for a few secs and you'll see all the apps currently running (alternatively just tap the BBMenu key and select Switch Applications). Close out those you don't need to be running all the time, and you'll see a huge increase in performance.

A lot of people will tell you to do a batt pull or use quickpull, but if you have programs/apps running in the background, chances are good that they'll load back into the background upon reboot and you're still stuck with the same issues.

It's pretty much the same as your desktop computer. You can have plenty of memory available, however if you have several apps hogging the cpu it'll slow down too.