PDA

View Full Version : Real world commutes to/from DTC

asp_125
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
So it looks like I'm going to work in the heart of the DTC for a while. We'll see when (not if) the commute from hell drives me crazy. I will have to try the HOV lanes with the bike. But one option is to look for a place down in town.

So what's the commute time like from places like: Highlands Ranch, DU area, Buckley, West Littleton, Parker?

On the up side? I'm that much closer to Bostons!! :up:

Devaclis
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I am in Highlands Ranch.
University and 470

I work at 225 and I-25

Takes 17 minutes going the suburb route - University to Belleview to 25

Takes 9 minutes taking 470 to I-25 to225

I leave at 6:45 in the morning

Afternoon trip home takes 20 minutes going the suburb route. I never take 470 in the afternoon

Matty
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Jeff i live in the DTC. Right around Belleview and i-25.

longrider
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
From Parker is not bad, through Parker is my way in. You will fing it IS worth the $2.00 to take 470 rather than Arapahoe from Parker to I25 in the mornig.

Sully
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
I know you posted in the other thread about the toll pass.. but I've never used it on I-25.. is it the same pass ? :? I confuzed :(

Wyck
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Live near DU/Performance and commute to I25 and Dry Creek takes about 15-20 minutes each way unless traffic sucks on the way home

longrider
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
It is the same ExpressToll transponder for E470, NW Expressway and the I25 HOT lanes.

Spiderman
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
I know you posted in the other thread about the toll pass.. but I've never used it on I-25.. is it the same pass ? :? I confuzed :(
Yes. https://www.expresstoll.com/Default.aspx?pn=EXpressTollFAQ 8)

asp_125
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM

The transponder will work on E470, Northwest Pkwy, and I-25 but the wierd thing is that if you get the one for E470 the toll is lowest on E470
https://www.expresstoll.com/pdf/Will%20expresstoll%20work%20on%20e470%20and%20NWP. pdf
Guess they want to keep you on "their" road.

Sully
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
:lol:.. Thanks Bob... I actually went back after I posted and read the info.. doh!!! :slap:

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Yes, but if you are on your bike you can use the HOV lanes on I-25 free of charge. Just be sure to stay in the HOV/Motorcycle lane and you're fine. (I do it on my way to Northie meetups all the time...)

Matty
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Jeff.. like i mentioned in the other thread if you ever get off work and traffic is bad, you're more than welcome to come by and hang till it mellows out.

Sully
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, Matty will make you walk his dog!

mtnairlover
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
We'll see when (not if) the commute from hell drives me crazy.

First, congrats to your company landing that contract. Next...the "commute from hell" hath begun to ring the door-bell of the psych ward for me...but then, I ain't normal anyways.:crazy:

G'luck with figuring out where ya wanna move to. I think any of those choices would work for ya...um, well, cept for the eastern side of die-2-5. The west side just means you're that much closer to twisty heaven.:)

Matty
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
:up:

TheStig
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
From Parker is not bad, through Parker is my way in. You will fing it IS worth the $2.00 to take 470 rather than Arapahoe from Parker to I25 in the mornig.

I actually am the opposite, I come up Jordan Road to Arapahoe and dont find it all that bad. usually takes me 20 minutes to get to Belliview and DTC. It is faster taking the highway but I guess Im cheap and dont want to pay tolls haha.

dapper
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
I actually am the opposite, I come up Jordan Road to Arapahoe and dont find it all that bad. usually takes me 20 minutes to get to Belliview and DTC. It is faster taking the highway but I guess Im cheap and dont want to pay tolls haha.
Have you seen Office Space?

4-6pm is one of the worst times of the day to be driving, more accidents during this time.

Mel
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
I live in Highlands Ranch (University and Wildcat) and work off I-25 and Arapahoe. Takes...like 30 minutes in traffic from my daughters school in the am (from Luncent and 470), 10 minutes when not in traffic....

asp_125
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM

If by walking his dog you mean having a beer :up:

I'm going to give the commute a try this month, and see about moving next month. Anyone want to rent a house up here in Longmont? :)

longrider
Thu Jul 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'll give you my opinion on the commute. I realize your situation is not permanent and mine was, but I used to live in Westminster. When Fay Myers moved from west Alameda to Arapahoe Rd, within a year I had decided to sell and move. 8 more months and I had moved.

rforsythe
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Live near DU/Performance and commute to I25 and Dry Creek takes about 15-20 minutes each way unless traffic sucks on the way home

Same here, but the other side of I-25; I also commute to Dry Creek and then around the N side of Centennial Airport. Takes me usually about 20 with the side streets thrown in.

If the highway is jammed up though I can take Monaco south; after Hampden it winds a couple times and becomes Ulster, which intersects with Belleview; stay on it and it intersects with DTC Blvd. Taking that only adds about 5 min to my commute compared to good I-25 traffic, and if the highway is jacked it saves me a half hour. Point being I-25 is just one way into DTC from the S Denver (DU, etc) area, there are a lot of side/feeder roads that get it done too. So the commute is rarely sucky if you know where to go.

Devaclis
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Monaco is a great way to get south without hitting the interstate. A few lights and a slower speed limit but the traffic flows well and is never backed up.

UglykidJoe
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I live at 144th and I-25 and commute to Dry Creek every day, it isn't so bad. Mind you, I leave the house at 5:30 am and leave work at 2:30, the commute is 30+ miles. I ride the bike most days and use the HOV lanes going north, I have a transponder for the car as well, most days the drive is 35 min going home, Fridays are the worst, for some reason there is always twice as much traffic on the way home, figure a 45 min drive home on friday's. I have been doing it for 3 years now and it really doesn't bother me, winter time is the worst because people are idiots when the snow flies.

asp_125
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hmm it only took me less than an hour to drive from Longmont to DTC this morning. I thought leaving at 6am would've been more crowded but I got here in 50min. Maybe this was an aberration.

UglykidJoe
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hmm it only took me less than an hour to drive from Longmont to DTC this morning. I thought leaving at 6am would've been more crowded but I got here in 50min. Maybe this was an aberration.

I will have to say that it was an aberration, Friday mornings have always been more wide open coming down, and a beeyotch going home.

Wyck
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Same here, but the other side of I-25; I also commute to Dry Creek and then around the N side of Centennial Airport. Takes me usually about 20 with the side streets thrown in.

If the highway is jammed up though I can take Monaco south; after Hampden it winds a couple times and becomes Ulster, which intersects with Belleview; stay on it and it intersects with DTC Blvd. Taking that only adds about 5 min to my commute compared to good I-25 traffic, and if the highway is jacked it saves me a half hour. Point being I-25 is just one way into DTC from the S Denver (DU, etc) area, there are a lot of side/feeder roads that get it done too. So the commute is rarely sucky if you know where to go.

Usually the really bad congestion doesn't start til about Evans so I just take Yale instead of Evans and skip it. Unless there is some kind of accident or something on the side of the road and everyone is rubbernecking. And yes I could probably avoid this by checking traffic reports before I leave work but I'm lazy. :)