PDA

View Full Version : Got a TOTAL BS ticket today

Connman
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 05:42 PM
ok, so here's the intersection that I got this BS ticket.
Top red line = where you're (apparently) supposed to stop
Bottom red line = where I stopped
White line = crosswalk
Blue line = where two dickhead motorcycle cops jump out in front of your car to pull you over.
$130 DOLLARS for rolling through a crosswalk/stop area.
My beef: From the "correct" stopping point, YOU CAN'T SEE AROUND THE CORNER TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY ONCOMING TRAFFIC !!!!!!!!
AND to top it off, the cop is a TOTAL prick. Wouldn't answer any of my questions, walked away from me as I was asking him about being able to see into the intersection, told me to read the ticket after i got home, and threatened to ARREST ME and tow my truck because I was asking for an explanation, due to the fact that I was in a no parking zone....WHERE HE PULLED ME OVER.
I am LIVID...........
This is absolutely nothing more than a fking revenue generator for the city of Denver.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/Connman111/ticket.jpg

Spiderman
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Sorry, that sucks dude.

This sounds familiar - I think my brother got dinged for this once too. If I remember correctly, you're supposed to stop behind the stop line, then proceed slowly until you can safely asses the merge.

Ricky
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry to say, but even from the time I was in driver's ed back in high school, the rule was ALWAYS that you stop behind the stop sign or line, THEN inch forward so that you can see.

whitebrad
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:14 PM
officer rose???

motorcycle cop, check

complete dick, check

if not him it was prolly his life partner... err riding mate... er whatever they call their boyfreinds nowadays

Ricky
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM
IMO, call and ask to speak with his sergeant. Then explain to him that you weren't happy about the way he treated you. Forget about mentioning anything about the ticket itself, and just try to explain to him that you were only asking for an explanation of the ticket, as well at clarification of the law, and that he refused to provide that to you. It might not do anything for you specifically, but at least it gets the complaint through.

Valguard
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Fight it. It might cost ya 2 more points and $15 but I think the Judge would have sympathy...if he's not a dick too.

Horsman
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
even from the google map you can tell the line of sight is obstructed!!!! Unless you want to be grill kill... say the fast lane(left lane) car was obstructing your view for the turn... ;)
fight it.... may your judge have mercy...

R1Corona
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Officer Rose is a C@#K S#@king F#@@ot.

vampie
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear about what happened. I drive through this intersection all the time and never come to a "complete" stop for the reasons listed above. I'll definitely keep an eye out now.

kevplus2
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
while it may seem like a bs ticket, you are supposed to stop behind the line and then creep forward after having made a complete stop.

not stopping behind the line is just like running the stop sign/light. you just happened to get caught this time

Connman
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
The new green line, which I should have included on the first pic, represents the line of cars turning left - which of course obstruct any view of oncoming traffic.
While I guess I understand that a "STOP" is to be made before the crosswalk, then you're apparently allowed to creep through to the actual intersection - I also think that enforcement of traffic laws needs to be done with a certain degree of common sense. It's not like this is a "normal" street-to-street intersection - with the "merge"-like lane, what the hell do they think you're going to do??? ....Or should I say, that's what they're counting on everyone doing.
Also... That is one of the questions that the DICK of an officer refused to answer. I SPECIFICALLY asked him if he SAW me "not"-stop, he wouldn't answer. Which I don't believe he did, because as I was pulling into traffic, I SAW HIM look up and jump out into the road to stop me.
Unfortunately for me, I have to admit rolling through the crosswalk, albeit at about 3mph... I would imagine, the court would probably just slap additional court costs to my infraction fees and it would end up costing me even more money... and these days, I'm not sure I could even afford to take the risk of the bastards doubling the fine.... and I'm sure the SOB's are counting on that.
Even more bullshit is how they break down the total:
Fine amount: $100
Traffic Bureau Costs: $10
V.A.L.E. Surcharge: $20
Traffic bureau costs???? VALE Surcharge??? Wtf????
I can hear it now......"Hey fucko, the department is a little short on funding this month, how bout you and the cocksmoker jump on your shitty cop-bikes,
head down to Alameda & Cherry Creek South, and write the fuck outta some tickets!!"

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/Connman111/ticket-1.jpg

Horsman
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM
So are we supposed to peddle our bikes after we stop behind the stop sign and cross walk to the intersection and then go???? because if we 1st gear it after we stop to get to the freak'n intersection finally, then go... we are going to get popped??? Sounds like the perfect intersection for the great american Clutch cook-off. Honestly, I think this cop was trying to make his quota or something. A motorcycle cop stopping you should have shown some compassion/empathy/sympathy to the situation. Guess there was no time to talk about it rationally??? messed up

buzzardman36
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
You should have gotten stopped, cuz you broke the law. However; your right, in that it's a B.S. thing to get a ticket for. Should have gotten a polite warning with a small, short informative regarding the correct way to handle that intersection. It's tickets like this that give police the a$$hole stigma.

Just my 2 cents

dattaway
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'd go see a judge and quizz him if it was fair and go from there. If the judge says its ok, take it to the media and suggest this is what our legal system wants for us. Calling every politician within 50 miles to finish it off. This way I get my problems resolved 100%. Its my civic duty.

Keepitgreen
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Maybe you can just camp out at the scene of the crime and video it to show what happens with everyone..
If no one is stopped in the same hour you are there, this may show that the cops targeted you..
Fuck it! Play the race card!

Connman
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
A motorcycle cop stopping you should have shown some compassion/empathy/sympathy to the situation. Guess there was no time to talk about it rationally??? messed up

I was in my Durango, but no, It literally went like this:
"You-rolled-through-a-crosswalk-and-failed-to-come-to-a-complete-stop-I-need-your-license-and-have-your-insurance-info-ready-when-i-get-back-from-writing-the-ticket..(2min)..here-you-go-read-the-ticket-when-you-get-home."
That's when I started asking if he actually saw me, and for an explanation, and making the point that you can't see around the left-turning traffic... "Goodbye-MOVE-your-truck"... Sir I'm just explaining why everyone needs to pull out so far... "You're in a no parking zone- MOVE" ...Why can't you answer my questions? "You can move your truck NOW or go to jail".

Maybe you can just camp out at the scene of the crime and video it to show what happens with everyone..
If no one is stopped in the same hour you are there, this may show that the cops targeted you..
Fuck it! Play the race card!

Shit, as I was sitting there getting a ticket, 15 cars did the exact same thing I did. As soon as the Dicks were finished up with me, they grabbed the next two cars that came through.
Just fucking writing tickets as fast as they could. That's probably why he was so pissed at me, I was slowing down his ticket writing productivity.

Keepitgreen
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 12:12 AM
If that were the case, i would film them a few days in a row and then film again same time of day when they weren't there. This would show that they are somewhat "selective" in their enforcement.
Trial by jury. Make the cop show up and put his ass on the stand to answer your question. If he doesn't then he is in contempt and you can move for a dismissal and then charges be brought on the officer for his douchbagery!

No, I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night..

CaneZach
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
This thread is so full of FAIL that I don't know where to start...

1. Yes, you are supposed to stop behind the line, then move forward. If there's no line present, that's a different story. If the stop line is too far back and prevents you from seeing traffic, you come to a stop behind the line, then proceed forward. To be honest, not many people do this. Many people won't stop at all. They'll roll through the stop line, look over their shoulder (well, sometimes they look) to make sure it's clear, then keep on driving.

2. Calling to speak to his Sergeant may help future violators, but it won't help whatsoever with your citation. Your options now are simple: mail in or go to court. If you go to court, be prepared to receive the full points/fines/court costs.

3. If the officers were nailing other people for doing it, it wasn't selective.

4. Douchebaggery? Contempt of court? Jury trial for a traffic infraction? LOL. That all kind of made me laugh. If they stopped the next car that did it, as Conman said, they weren't selective at all. Selective enforcement would mean they were only stopping red cars or out of staters. If they wrote the ticket, wrote their notes, then nabbed the next car they could safely get, it wasn't selective.

While I do think there are more important violations to go after, this is still a violation and one that can get you a citation. There are 300-some-odd traffic laws in Colorado. The average person knows maybe 15 to 20.

Captain Obvious
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 02:57 PM
But Zach, pissing and moaning is so effective about the injustices! Damn the jackbooted thugs and their indiscriminate overuse of power! We should be able to select which laws are enforced when it suits.

FZRguy
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Go to the court date and take the plea bargain that the DA offers (probably defective vehicle). I got a revenue ticket in May for $155 and ending up paying $73 by taking the plea deal.

JustSomeDude
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Go back to the intersection when you know the cops are there, and wait 1, 2, 5, 10 minutes until A) traffic backs up behind you and people start driving around you, or B) the cops come over and ask you what the hell you're doing.

Tell them you couldn't see through the intersection, and didn't want to proceed unsafely. :D

Xtremjeepn
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
The only real flaw I see in the whole argument is that the trees directly next to the cross walk could obscure the view of pedistrians, which would require a stop at the line where it is.

It appears from the picture that rolling through the stop sign at any speed could prove deadly if someone stepped out in front of you.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/Connman111/ticket.jpg