PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving with Scer

Scer
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Hey guys,
So now that I marked that 14er off my list :alien:, it's time to move on to the next event.

I am planning to go skydiving on Sep. 5th. The basic details is that you have to be over 18, under 210 lbs., and it's $190 for the jump. Ten dollars less if we have a group over 10. So post up if you might be interested in this.

If it sounds like a lot of us are interested, I will make the plans and what not. I am planning to go either way so you will know someone there already. :) So all you people that say it's something you have always wanted to do but haven't gotten around to it, here is your chance.

jump on jumpas

eg bter
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'm in

willb003
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Do it! Sky diving is fun!!!!! and it really is not scary at all.

sugarrey
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Wish I was under 210. Skydiving is a blast. I went a few years ago, tandem. Fun stuff.

DevilsTonic
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I wanna go! I will have to see if I can scare up the $. :)

Mother Goose
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm in.... if I can lose 20 lbs. :lol:

bodhizafa
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM
If you change the date I'd be in. Won't be around that week.

Tipys
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Damn why do I have to be broke

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Scer buddy...should we all be worried that you're slowly picking away at your bucket list? =)

Tipys
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Scer buddy...should we all be worried that you're slowly picking away at your bucket list? =)

I would say NO you should always be trying to mark things off your bucket list.

Zach929rr
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Incentive to lose weight: Found.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hey guys,
So now that I marked that 14er off my list :alien:, it's time to move on to the next event.

jump on jumpas
....Um, Scer.....when they talk about 14er's, they usually don't mean the AGE of the girl........just sayin'.......:)

Scer
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm in.... if I can lose 20 lbs. :lol:

Just come work out with me. I got a 11 piece workout set and my roommate has been an MMA instructor for over 15 years. I think we can get the weight off in like... 25 minutes. heh

If you change the date I'd be in. Won't be around that week.

That's the only date I can do it but if anything changes I will let you know.

Sugar Momma, I really don't see myself lasting over 35 so I don't have much time to mark it off. Sorry for being proactive..damn. :)

....Um, Scer.....when they talk about 14er's, they usually don't mean the AGE of the girl........just sayin'.......:)

LOL you asshole, now the cops will know the secret code. Did I say a 14er?? I meant I climbed a 18er officer..uh yeah that's it. She.. it.. was a 18er.

Leah, no excuses. Your ass is going. Anyways, I have to see your new, better and not messed up by an amature, tattoo.

play on playas

~Barn~
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I don't see why not. Gonna have to drop about 10 though. Stupid ice cream.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Sugar Momma, I really don't see myself lasting over 35 so I don't have much time to mark it off. Sorry for being proactive..damn. :)

OH NO you did not!!! lmao
Doing everything you can in life is definitely the way to do it...but I imagine a bucket list being that last mad dash to the finish line! lol
Oh and in looking at my schedule...no dice for me. I'll just be getting back from the speed trials at the Salt Flats and I have a meeting on Sat. AM.

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Just come work out with me. I got a 11 piece workout set and my roommate has been an MMA instructor for over 15 years. I think we can get the weight off in like... 25 minutes. heh

I don't want to die, I just want to lose the weight. :lol:

DevilsTonic
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I don't want to die, I just want to lose the weight. :lol::spit:

64BonnieLass
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hey Scer, I might be interested. Which location are you jumping from?

I've done it once before and it was the most amazing experience. :)

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
We're in, as long as it's not tandem. The price is too low for accelerated free fall, so I'm hoping this is at least a static line jump?

~Barn~
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Not to speak on behalf of Scer, but I'm about... oh... 100% certain that this is a tandem jump. Even with an s-line jump, you still need to be able to pilot your own chute.

You knew the answer to this question before you asked it, Dean. :lol:

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Not to speak on behalf of Scer, but I'm about... oh... 100% certain that this is a tandem jump. Even with an s-line jump, you still need to be able to pilot your own chute.

You knew the answer to this question before you asked it, Dean. :lol:I didn't know the answer, that's why I asked. Tandem doesn't count toward free fall certification. If you ask me, which no one did, it's a waste of money because it doesn't count toward anything. However, if you never plan on jumping by yourself and only want to do it once, then tandem is probably for you.

I would rather give up the tandem free fall and go static just to get time towards free fall. Or, you can do the accelerated class and get free fall on your first jump.

SaShWhO
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
2yrs with Airborne Rangers has left me knowing that I'll be fine on the ground until I take my last breath and final jump into the box.
Y'all have fun.

btw Scer,
are you checking off on some kind of bucketlist or something?

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM
btw Scer,
are you checking off on some kind of bucketlist or something?
Those were his EXACT words to me when he was thinking of what to do next! :lol:

~Barn~
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Speaking of which, is that movie actually any good?

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I really enjoyed it Barn.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Speaking of which, is that movie actually any good?I thought it sucked, but you know me... I hate everything!

Once they start their adventures, it's okay. Getting to that point in the movie is extremely painful, though!!!!

~Barn~
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Did you ever see Secondhand Lions, Dean?

It's pretty funny and cute. Not entirely the same premise, but still one of those "life stories" types. I'm a big Michael Cain guy, though.... Him and Robert Duvall both, for that matter.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Did you ever see Secondhand Lions, Dean?

It's pretty funny and cute. Not entirely the same premise, but still one of those "life stories" types. I'm a big Michael Cain guy, though.... Him and Robert Duvall both, for that matter.I don't believe I have seen that one. I pretty much won't watch dramas or "life movies". I'm already living life, and it sort of sucks. I won't be entertained by some made up tragedy. I really hate horror movies. Why would anyone want to watch that shit! Although, Dee Snider's "Strangeland" is pretty damn good!! The first "Saw" was an interesting idea, too.

SaShWhO
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Speaking of which, is that movie actually any good?

I give it one thumbs up for pretty funny:up:

Big-J
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
If you don't want to do the tandum, Dean, then go through the cert. process and do the freefall!

Count me in, I have been threatening to do this for years now!!

~Barn~
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
<snip...> I pretty much won't watch dramas or "life movies".

But you watched The Bucket List. :think:

suzinpink
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
just putting it out there... not trying to step on your post.. but it seems money is short... which is my problem too. I am planning a skydiving trip to Canon City on the 15th over night to the 16 (aug). go at evening on the 15th (sat) and they do a bonfire and stuff... with some training and drinking... they provide breakdfast in the am...then jump in the morning of the 16th. It's 130 bucks.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
But you watched The Bucket List. :think:Actually, Kim rented it and, about twenty minutes in, I went down to my office and made up some work form me to do. I've only seen it on HBO when the only thing on was "King of the Hill".

Scer
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM
We're in, as long as it's not tandem. The price is too low for accelerated free fall, so I'm hoping this is at least a static line jump?

Barn is right, it's a tandem jump. I am not going to invest very much more into skydiving other than this jump so yeah.. Hope you guys come out to laugh at us anyway though, with beers of course.

Bout damn time!! Figured you would be in on this one bro.

just putting it out there... not trying to step on your post.. but it seems money is short... which is my problem too. I am planning a skydiving trip to Canon City on the 15th over night to the 16 (aug). go at evening on the 15th (sat) and they do a bonfire and stuff... with some training and drinking... they provide breakdfast in the am...then jump in the morning of the 16th. It's 130 bucks.

Thanks for the info. If there wasn't a track day then I might actually go in on this too. Gezz..all this fun stuff and not enough time to do them!

I think the location is in the Longmont area. Not too far from Denver. So you shouldn't have to spend an extra gas cash to drive and to jump. That's the reason I chose this place instead of the others.

And no, I have not seen the bucket list movie but I know the pretense of it. I have been wanting to do a lot of these things but being in school up to last year and working a lot kept me from it. Sorry to tell you but this is the real Scer you have grown to love (or hate). Just have time and cash now. =) Other events will follow...hopefully.

play on playas

Stuart Little
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I would be in if 230 was acceptable...but alas, I may have to drop to 210 to do this then go back up, 220 is where i'm best

Scer
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Do eet!!!!

drop on droppas

Tipys
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I didn't know the answer, that's why I asked. Tandem doesn't count toward free fall certification. If you ask me, which no one did, it's a waste of money because it doesn't count toward anything. However, if you never plan on jumping by yourself and only want to do it once, then tandem is probably for you.

I would rather give up the tandem free fall and go static just to get time towards free fall. Or, you can do the accelerated class and get free fall on your first jump.

Not true. It goes towards you learning if you want to do more of this and by yourself.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Not true. It goes towards you learning if you want to do more of this and by yourself.
You should call the (any) sky dive place. Tandem does not count for any time at all. It's just a carnival ride.

Just like riding on the back of a bike does not get you your MRA license.

~Barn~
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
From what I have read, a tandem jump can count toward a class-A cert, but you have to meet particular objectives, and the desire to do so, must be first discussed with your instructor, and then logged-as-such.

It's definitely not a "by default" situation though, but I do believe it can earn you something, if properly arranged prior.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
From what I have read, a tandem jump can count toward a class-A cert, but you have to meet particular objectives, and the desire to do so, must be first discussed with your instructor, and then logged-as-such.

It's definitely not a "by default" situation though, but I do believe it can earn you something, if properly arranged prior.
That's news to me, never heard that before. All my buddies who dive, say tandem is a waste and the dive center I called said it's just a ride. It makes sense that tandem doesn't count for anything, because what are you doing? The guy on top of you has all the control. What can you do underneath him that would count for anything?

Once certified, my buddies jump for a little over $20 per jump. That's some seriously cheap entertainment!!!

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I just called Mile Hi in Longmont and they said you can log a tandem as an actual jump. Doesn't count for skills or anything else. I guess it's just a matter of who you call. Either way, $200 for a logged jump still isn't worth it to me.

Anyone want to do AFF? $319 gets you a free fall at the end of the day. There are seven more levels to get the license. They are a 30 minute quiz and instruction, then a jump with skills tests. It will total out at about $1,300 by the time you get your license.

~Barn~
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
That's news to me <snip...>

You can probably do quite a few things as a passenger, I would think. Granted I've never gone before, but I'm guessing you can (at the least):
- Monitor the descent and deploy the chute at the assigned altitude.
- Help pilot the chute in flight, using the various controls.
- Assist in landing by "flaring" appropriately.

And I'm sure even more... Just like a passenger on a motorcycle can affect the control by throwing their weight around, I'm sure a "passenger" in a tandem setup can initiate lateral turns, forward/backward pitch, etc.

Granted, these are all things that would be tasked to NOT do in a typical tandem situation, but if you wanted to get Cert'd and didn't want to do the AFF course, you could probably proceed alternately via "tandem training". :dunno:

Hopefully Joe (HpiRally>HippyRob (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=1127)) will chime in on this. He's been flying for a long time. That being said however, I do believe your skydiving friends were being honest, when they said they don't care for tandem jumps. As a proficient skier, I don't care of magic carpet "bunny runs", but it doesn't mean that the is no benefit in them.

Dietrich_R1
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Tandem Jumps: Good for the crew as they can push a lot of people through with about 5 minutes of training, which means more $$ for the club. It's also good for the jumper as it'll let you know if it's something you want to get into.

Static Line Jumps: Lot's more instruction before you even get to fall out of the plane. You're first jump the static line gets pulled when you fall. Then you move up in altitude & start pulling yourself after every jump.

I've coordinated a few jumps. Most of the time everyone turns CHICKEN!!! I would recommend getting a deposit & that way those "brave souls" can party their Arse Off most likely for free at the end of the day!!

If it's your first one, pay the extra bucks & get a video!!!!!!

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
You can probably do quite a few things as a passenger, I would think. Granted I've never gone before, but I'm guessing you can (at the least):
- Monitor the descent and deploy the chute at the assigned altitude.
- Help pilot the chute in flight, using the various controls.
- Assist in landing by "flaring" appropriately.

And I'm sure even more... Just like a passenger on a motorcycle can affect the control by throwing their weight around, I'm sure a "passenger" in a tandem setup can initiate lateral turns, forward/backward pitch, etc.

Granted, these are all things that would be tasked to NOT do in a typical tandem situation, but if you wanted to get Cert'd and didn't want to do the AFF course, you could probably proceed alternately via "tandem training". :dunno:

Hopefully Joe (HpiRally>HippyRob (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=1127)) will chime in on this. He's been flying for a long time. That being said however, I do believe your skydiving friends were being honest, when they said they don't care for tandem jumps. As a proficient skier, I don't care of magic carpet "bunny runs", but it doesn't mean that the is no benefit in them.I don't think the person hanging off the guys chest could even reach the toggles. Definitely couldn't reach the drag chute, if that's the method of deployment. If it's a 'rip cord' deployment, perhaps that could be reached by the passenger, but that's about it.

I just think it would be more fun to pay a little more and free fall without Maynerd on your back...

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I've coordinated a few jumps. Most of the time everyone turns CHICKEN!!! I would recommend getting a deposit & that way those "brave souls" can party their Arse Off most likely for free at the end of the day!!

If it's your first one, pay the extra bucks & get a video!!!!!!That's 1,000,000% true!! Every time we try to do this, everyone chickens out. Therefore, I still haven't jumped out of a plane...

64BonnieLass
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
1st time I did it, I got sick on the side of the road. Then, after I waited for the ceiling to lift for 3 hours, I was ready to just get it on.

I like jumping tandem. I figure if I bounce, at least I will have a hot man on my back when it happens. Woot!! :yay:

~Barn~
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
That's 1,000,000% true!! Every time we try to do this, everyone chickens out. Therefore, I still haven't jumped out of a plane...

So does that mean you'll still come with us, while we do tandems and you do your "upgrade" to AFF?

:D

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
So does that mean you'll still come with us, while we do tandems and you do your "upgrade" to AFF?

:DI'm not sure. We want to do our class with friends. Makes it more fun. I'm sure we'll at least come out and watch. Wouldn't want to miss a bounce or anything. Hell, even a nice streamer ride down at 60mph would be cool too! You'll learn these terms in your class, but then again, maybe they keep those terms away from the tandem riders.:D

~Barn~
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I wonder if they'll go over the term "observer". :lol:

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I wonder if they'll go over the term "observer". :lol:You mean, pussy!

I wish people were interested in AFF!

~Barn~
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I honestly have always wanted to, but I don't know if I would really ever carry forth with a "career" of it, after getting done.

I mean the money is a little bit more, but it's not a disqualifier; and I personally think AFF sounds lightyears more fun than tandem as well. I just question whether or not I would go on to do things like purchase the gear, and buy a rig of my own, and so-on, so-forth.

It's not like motorcycling, where you can mix the whole lifestyle into your day-2-day, skydiving is a hobby (not unlike SCUBA) that is a special occassion type venture (read: you go somewhere to do it).

If I could commute to work via skydiving I would, let me put it that way. :lol:

Pandora-11
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Scer,
Would you mind if I brought a few people to watch you? It's the next thing on my bucket list too.

Big-J
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I still haven't jumped out of a plane...

Pussy!:p

wiseguy
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'd join in if its the next weekend!

Scer
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Scer,
Would you mind if I brought a few people to watch you? It's the next thing on my bucket list too.

I don't mind at all. Just no laughing when I am screaming like 5 year old girl. I mean... yeah no worries.

I'd join in if its the next weekend!

Sorry man. :( I don't have that one free myself. Sure you can't make the 5th??

scream on screamas

Scer
Tue Aug 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'm in

I wanna go! I will have to see if I can scare up the $. :)

Incentive to lose weight: Found.

I don't see why not. Gonna have to drop about 10 though. Stupid ice cream.

If you don't want to do the tandum, Dean, then go through the cert. process and do the freefall!

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Mile High Skydiving and made my reservation to jump.

Now all you others above and who ever else wants to join needs to call in and do the same.
You just have to dial 303.759.3483 and say you wanna jump with your buddy Oscar on Sept. 5th at 10am.

So the prices of the jump must have changed since the last time I called in. They jumped (no pun intended) up to 209 with a credit card and 199 cash. I hope that doesn't deter you guys from doing a "once and a lifetime" thing with me.

Let me know when you guys made your reservation. Hell, if you don't feel like calling just let me know and I will do it for you. Post up here or hit my cell up if you have made the reservation or want me to for you.

Also, for the guys trying to use the weight card for an excuse not to go, they said people that are just a little over would just have to get the instructors approval as to if you can go or not. So maybe if you guys wanna tag a long and see if you guys can make the jump or not still... hint hint wicky..

Hope to see a lot of you guys there for the jump!!

call on callas

64BonnieLass
Tue Aug 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
K! I just dialed the number all by myself. :)

IN!!!!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/Misc/ParachutiingDog.jpg

Zoom
Tue Aug 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I wish to God I could join this...I would LOVE to go skydiving. Just can't quite swing the funds right now.

~Barn~
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm out Scer. Would like to have gone, but I just booked a trip to L.V. and while I probably could swing it, I gotta watch where I'm spending.

Maybe when I get back, we can go again. Have fun meng!