PDA

View Full Version : STAR School

675Rider
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I recently attended a 2 day STAR class at high plains raceway. The track is awesome, reminds me alot of barber with all the elevation changes. The school was pretty good. Its very similar to sport bike track time's novice classes. The only negative i have about it was out of 2 days I only got a track coach once. Pridmore is a awesome guy though, very funny, good teacher. They pretty much cover everything. Theres a pretty big emphasis on smooth downshifting, braking, keeping the bike at higher RPMS to use the engine in its powerband and engine braking. Also went over body positioning and his theory on using lines to learn a track and improve your abilities. Great class and very recommended.

Heater
Sun Jul 26th, 2009, 09:22 PM
About how much was the 2 day course? Do they want you on your own bike or do they provide the bikes?

Matt
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Everything you need to know about the school is on their web page.

http://www.starmotorcycle.com

dirkterrell
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I did the two-day school also and learned a lot. My fastest lap in HW Endurance on Saturday was 6 seconds faster than the last round and I was consistently 5 seconds faster. All of that was from doing things that I learned at the STAR school (RPM management, line choice, efficiency of body movements). There are many spots on the track where I can make up more time and improve on the things that Jason and crew pointed out to me but I'm already impressed with the improvements that have come.

One big thing I wanted to improve was my efficiency with body positioning. I was getting way too tired in the endurance races last year and Clarkie impressed upon me that that shouldn't be happening. So I asked Jason to help me with that and he and the instructors nailed it. They pointed out what I was doing wrong and showed me how to fix it. I really noticed it on Saturday. Previously I would be praying for the crossed green/white flags to appear (signaling the half-way point of the race). On Saturday when I saw them, I thought "Wow, it's already half over?!?!?" I was going faster and I felt great. Things are really starting to click.

I took it to heart when Jason told us to slow down, get the techniques right and then let the speed come back. After the first day of the class, I was really depressed. I was going slower than my normal slowness, and doign things that felt uncomfortable. But I pressed on and at the end of the 2nd day I was more comfortable with the new techniques and decided to pick up the pace. It was amazing how much better I was doing. These things they teach you really do work. I give them an enthusiatic thumbs up!

Dirk

675Rider
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Everything is on the STAR site, but it was $600. You can use your bike or rent one and even leathers.