PDA

View Full Version : Gixxer won't start sometimes

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
So my friend's 2002 gixxer won't start sometimes. I hit the start button and nothing. No clicking from the starter.... Then I hold it down or wait for a bit and try again and it'll click a few times (with the light going out), then the starter will do its thing and the bike will start right up.

Once in neutral when picking up the kick stand, the bike died and wouldn't start right away again... same thing as above.

It could be the starter.... but maybe not. It sounds more electrical, can someone give me some leads as to what to test? Some connections to check? Where they're at -- such as where the kickstand safety switch, plug, etc is?

Hoopty
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:24 AM
First off, are you holding the clutch in when you try to start it? Suzuki's require it to be pulled in to start, someone coming from a bike that doesn't require this could get tricked. :up:

As for the kickstand safety switch, look at the wire connected to the kickstand. :D

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Yes I am pulling in the clutch.

I noticed the clutch has to be pulled in even while the bike is in neutral to start it. Is that normal for gixxers?

My F4i only requires the clutch to be pulled in if I'm starting the bike in gear.

Which one is the clutch "pull in" wire to check as well?

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I would start by putting a volt meter on your battery. Check the voltage before you try to start it and when you are trying to start it. Before starting your battery should be just above 12 volts. During starting it should stay as close as possible to that. If it drops below 10 volts then charge your battery ( with a small charger not just letting the bike run) and try it again. Batteries really dont last that long on bikes. That is why I would start there. You could also wiggle the side stand and the kill and starter switches while trying to start it and see if you could tell if they are intermittant.

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:29 AM
You could also wiggle the side stand and the kill and starter switches while trying to start it and see if you could tell if they are intermittant.

Could you tell me where those switches/ connections are?

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM
The starter switch is the one you push with your thumb when you want the bike to start. The kill switch is the one you use to turn off the motor when you dont use the key to turn it off. The side stand switch is on your side stand ( kick stand) and the clutch interlock switch is on the clutch lever housing.

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Hrm I guess when you reply like that, it makes my question look dumb. But I'm asking where all the connections are for those things. I assume there's a connection at the back of the handle bar or kickstand, but where else does it go?

Hoopty
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Yes, ALL Suzuki's require the clutch to be pulled in to start, whether it's in gear or not. :)

Hoopty
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Sorry, I'm not sure where they connect other than the obvious. Your best bet is to pull the tank and physically follow the wires :| (or of course take a look at the wiring diagram in the manual :D )

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks, that sucks. :P

But still didn't fix the problem. =/ (Having to pull in the clutch)

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:45 AM
The connections are on the back of the switches. If all of the wires are still connected your best bet is to use a schematic and a meter to find the problem.You are also going to find a wire harness routed through the whole bike. Its covered in electrical tape type stuff. You could inspect it for visible damage.

Didnt mean to make your question sound stupid. Sorry

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Where is the bike located? The springs?

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Yup, its in the Springs, off Flintridge and Academy.

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Im in Lakewood. Other wise Id say I would just take a look at it for you.

Lel
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Yes, ALL Suzuki's require the clutch to be pulled in to start, whether it's in gear or not. :)

Not that I know of... either I have some wiring issues then.... not a single problem on mine just starting it up w/o touching the clutch on my 01 600. But I SERIOUSLY doubt i have wiring issues on it, bike runs fine wiring harness has never been destroyed cut etc. I have the kickstand switch pulled off but thats it.

Wouldnt be suprised if maybe the starter in the above bike is going out, its a REALLY simple swtich if it is.

lel

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Thank you for the offer.

I'll try the recommended fixes, then if I can't find it, I'll take it back to the shop that replaced the kickstand (why I think it might be that kill switch).

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM
If the kick stand was just replaced and the problem started right after that I would definately look at the wiring right by the kick stand. Why was the kick stand replaced? Did it wear out? :lol:

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 12:03 PM
The bike is lowered. The previous owner just hacked off part of the kickstand, so it was ghetto and dangerous. Mike Bash took it off and had a little plate welded on and repainted it so it looks like a stock original one.

I don't know if it just started after the kickstand was removed and put on or not....basically the bike was bought and brought to the shop to have an initially checkup done on it and now its back and my friend is learning to ride. =)

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Wouldnt be suprised if maybe the starter in the above bike is going out, its a REALLY simple swtich if it is.

lel

Do they go out often? How much should be expected to pay for a new starter?

Hoopty
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM
It really sounds like some sort of short on the kickstand, I think it's gotta be there. The bike is too new for the starter to be going out!

Lel- I'm sure you've just disconnected the switch some time along the way, my SV no longer requires it either since I twisted the wires together. :D

Anonymous
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM

lel

Do they go out often? How much should be expected to pay for a new starter?

If that is the problem and you can't get one off eBay cheap, lemme know. They're $181 retail but I can get it cheaper.

Lel
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM
hmmm thats probably what the previous owner was talking about 'simplicity mods' haha

lel

Hoopty
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 03:02 PM
LOL I forgot that I had done that (as well as remove the kick stand kill) and it almost busted my ass in front of Fay's a few weeks ago. When I park my bike, I always leave it in neutral. This time though, I was on a bit of a slant so I put it in gear to keep it from rolling. Well, what do you know, I started it and it lurched forward. :oops: Luckily I caught it and no one was looking. :lol: :D

COGIXX
Mon Mar 7th, 2005, 11:22 PM

I'm somewhat close to that area... I could take a gander at it... By the sounds of it, it is the 2 wires for the kickstand that might have been reversed when replaced... EASY fix. I agree with the others, definitely the first place to look...

Sparker
Tue Mar 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM

not mine

Hoopty
Tue Mar 8th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Really, the GSXR or TL or both? :wtf:

UglyDogRacing
Tue Mar 8th, 2005, 09:04 AM

not mine

That's because I bypassed the switch.

Hoopty
Tue Mar 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I figured you did, just wasn't sure if the TL would too... :up: :siesta:

Devil954
Thu Mar 10th, 2005, 07:48 PM
The first thing you must do is look at the bike if it has this(SUZUKI) written anywhere on it you are screwed :lol:

ImolaFem
Sat Mar 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM
All right, I've found the problem and I know how to fix it, I just can't get to it. One of the wires isn't connected to the back of the starter switch, its all loose. I took out the four screws that hold the bike kill switch and the starter button on, but I can't get that plastic piece off because the throtle and brake cables are attached (and there isn't enough room to slide them off) and I can't get it off. Any tricks for getting at that switch? I need to get to the back and solder the wire back on. Anyone in the Springs that come over and remove the throttle and brake cables for me so I can take the whole assembly off?

Jackal
Sun Mar 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
One time my starter switch went bad. A spring that is supposed to press electrodes toghether binded. There was also a bunch of crap all over the electrodes that would have caused a problem sooner or later but I cleaned them off. It could be you have a jacked starter switch. It is easy to test if you have an ohm meter.

Bashed
Mon Mar 14th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I'm somewhat close to that area... I could take a gander at it... By the sounds of it, it is the 2 wires for the kickstand that might have been reversed when replaced... EASY fix. I agree with the others, definitely the first place to look...

COGIXX
It does not matter if the two wires are reversed or not,they
just complete a circuit.

IMOLAFEM
Call me if you have not gotten it fixed yet , I will fix
your switch for free.
You all have been good customers
and I value your business.I will even come get it and
deliver it back home to you due to the weather.
You have my #.
Late Bash

Hoopty
Mon Mar 14th, 2005, 12:24 PM
No matter what anyone else tells you, Bash is a great guy. :D

Vitesse
Mon Mar 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the offer Bash, we appreciate it. ImolaFem and I were able to get the switch out and solder the wires back on without removing the piece with the throttle cables. She starts like a champ now! :rock:

ImolaFem
Mon Mar 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Awesome offer Bash! Thanks, like Bluestreak says -- we got it fixed. The switch has a gold screw that holds it in there, so with surgeon-like skills we got the switch out, soldered everything up and got it back in there. We also made sure the wires weren't pulled as tight so it doesn't happen again.

Bashed
Tue Mar 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM
No problem,now if this snow would cooperate we could
use our bikes.

Late Bash

ozzy187
Sun Mar 27th, 2005, 04:55 AM
I had a kickstand problem with my 97 gsxr.