PDA

View Full Version : lol the power of your voice

Devaclis
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
So, our building management had decided it would be best for everyone if they removed the trash cans from all of our offices and instead, installed paper recycle bins. This meant that everyone had to go to the kitchen on each floor to dispose of "wet" trash (Food, plastic, garbage in general). This was a pain but not horrible. Well, the trash cans in the kitchens were overflowing by 9 in the morning and not emptied until after hours. The recycle bins in each office were never used. The natives became restless.

I had a few discussions, some heated, with the building management company. They said they had not heard any complaints so the policy was staying.

Well, since I am the shy quiet type I decided to go floor to floor, office to office and see how the other tenants felt. They were irked by the policy but did not want to piss off building management. I asked each of the office managers to come with me, for 15 minutes, to the building management office to make a statement. EVERY single one of them did. They were just looking for someone to get the ball rolling. They did not want to be seen as trouble makers.

This morning we all have trash cans in our offices again and a statement was issued by the building management company that the policy has been reversed and that any further decisions of this nature will be discussed with the tenants prior to implementation.

Fuck yeah.

GixxerCarrie
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM
They have done that at Qwest now for close to a year...and ended up having to buy our own trash cans and I have to empty it every week. If the kitchen ones get too full, I take it to a conference room(I'll fix them!) Sometimes just to piss them off I throw everything in the recycle bin! They take it anyway...but, none of us like it. They don't care. They even sent out a survey..and got squashed. Still have to take out my own trash. But they are payin me lots of money when I do it...lmao!

MetaLord 9
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
AMERICA! Fuck yeah.
fixed.

Well done Rabble Rouser Dana!

Shea
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
God I wish upon all that is holy that you will FINALLY find a way to express yourself Dana. All this holding back is not good for you!

Nice job brother. We'll find a job for you in the new regime :)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Dana -- you have no idea what I just went through with the One Lincoln Center property management in NYC. We'll have to kick back with a twelve pack of Elephant and I'll attempt to scratch the surface on that circus of the damned. It might take a bottle of fireball too. :drink:

Devaclis
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I just had a problem with the "forcing me to be a caring citizen" mentality that the management company had. Their argument was that it was "greener" and "better for the environment". My argument was that it was just a way to save money, and nothing more. After our discussions, it turns out it WAS just to save money. When I found out that 2 of the tenants were going up for lease renegotiation's I figured that it would be a prime time to get this policy reversed. It was. Now, our management company is not bad, they are very cool. They were just in a budgeting bind and made a few sacrifices that were not cool with us.

Also, being the fire marshal for the building I could have pointed out a few health and fire violations that were being created by having trash over running in all of the kitchens and bathrooms through out the day :)

dirkterrell
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I asked each of the office managers to come with me, for 15 minutes, to the building management office to make a statement. EVERY single one of them did. They were just looking for someone to get the ball rolling. They did not want to be seen as trouble makers.

People like that shouldn't be in management. If something is negatively affecting the people in my section, I take action whether it pisses off people or not. Do what's right, not what's convenient. Good on you Dana for taking action. FWIW, we have two bins in each office, one for trash and one for recycling.

Dirk

Devaclis
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Dana -- you have no idea what I just went through with the One Lincoln Center property management in NYC. We'll have to kick back with a twelve pack of Elephant and I'll attempt to scratch the surface on that circus of the damned. It might take a bottle of fireball too. :drink:

I would never want to go up against an NYC property company. No way. Not sober. Never.

salsashark
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.boomspeed.com/prclz/fight_the_power.jpg

Devaclis
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
People like that shouldn't be in management. If something is negatively affecting the people in my section, I take action whether it pisses off people or not. Do what's right, not what's convenient. Good on you Dana for taking action. FWIW, we have two bins in each office, one for trash and one for recycling.

Dirk

haha I am not our office manager. He was not concerned with this problem so I asked him if I could head it up. He was jsut like the others. Too scared or too timid to rock the boat. I like it when the boat is rockin''. It means that someone is making waves.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I would never want to go up against an NYC property company. No way. Not sober. Never.

I did -- and they didn't get their way --- no way whatsoevah. In fact we cost them thousands of dollars when we jammed the building trash compactor when they told us we couldn't use the roll off dumpster in the street. :twisted:

JohnEffinK
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I like it when the boat is rockin

I thought that meant "dont come a knockin?"

John

salsashark
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Actually, sounds like you took the high road and approached the management company professionally. These were always the tenants I liked to deal with when I was doing that job. The ones who quietly bitched about problems but didn't have the stones to say anything were the worst. I loved my vocal tenants because I couldn't be everywhere, all the time. They were the ones who had a vested interest in the day to day workings of their businesses.

Devaclis
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM
passive aggressive is not my nature. Even tho I am not a very rational person I DO try to be rational when dealing with issues like this. If that does not work I like to rally the troops and have support for my goals. That usually works.

puckstr
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Fuck it just throw the trash on the floor.

Horsman
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
right in front the Management Office...:slappers:

http://radioviceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/recycle_bin.jpg

I just put all of the parking tickets they give me into the recycle bin
(maybe that is why they keep coming back). :drink:

Eat Recycled Food - it's good for the environment and ok for you....

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
And thus the great recycle-bin bamboozle of 2009 is quashed! Time to take on the vending machine company and get those fried pies you've been wanting. :P

Devaclis
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM
They took all of the beef jerky and semi-processed meat products out of our vending machines. I am going to make some noise!

puckstr
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM
They took all of the beef jerky and semi-processed meat products out of our vending machines. I am going to make some noise!

Bastards!!!

Buck for this
http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/3829/38299164e02b17cf054e66fc4c801680be1c71e.jpg

Shea
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM
mmmm, now with bacon!

Aracheon
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is exactly what I woulda done. :D

dapper
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Friedrich Nietsche said "One who asks that something has to be done while he has the authority to command, is a courteous man."
:)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Friedrich Nietsche said "One who asks that something has to be done while he has the authority to command, is a courteous man."
:)

Yep --- and he also stated the following:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

Pandora-11
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
,,,and:

Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn't.
Friedrich Nietzsche (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/friedrichn397510.html)

for you Nick_Ninja

whitebrad
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM
i think ol' freidrich also said something like "vast ist deis sore un mie diech?"