PDA

View Full Version : New forum name

Anonymous
Tue Nov 12th, 2002, 03:29 PM
May as well just change it now...

Feel free to use this forum to plan longer trips, aka "touring" on your bikes. 50CC plans are already in the works, but I think preparing for that will involve a lot of other smaller rides, plus some people might just want to go cruise the countryside for the hell of it, so here's a place to discuss.

Harry Biker
Wed Nov 13th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Well done!
I was thinking that potential longer distance riders may not know what the hell a 50cc is,(besides your 1st dirt bike) so this is a much better header/forum.
Thanks.

BTW, how's the re-builds coming?
Harry Biker

Anonymous
Wed Nov 13th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I didn't know what the 50cc was either til I looked on the IBA site.

The rebuild is going, slowly. I need to pull the engine apart and clean the gunk out, though the compression feels fine and it cranks over under battery power good as well.

I have not run it yet, I need to clean out the carbs and get some new fuel petcocks on the tank first, plus new hoses everywhere I see one (plus add a couple I think might be missing). New oil, some fresh gas and plugs, and it should be running. The seat needs to be replaced or completely redone, the foam and vinyl are brittle from being sunbaked as well. Oh and I need an air cleaner, but I found these cool 3-into-1 chrome ones pretty cheap. And somehow I have to clean the corrosion off the engine casing (aluminum) - any ideas?

It's not that bad off really, it just needs some TLC. Other stuff like brakes and forks need work, and the handlebar controls need to be replaced (I think I might be able to use the ones from the other bike I got for that).

Then the question becomes, since I have this other 750 I was going to maybe use for parts or something, what do I do with the engine? :mrgreen: Could make for an interesting shaft-driven go kart or something. heh. These bikes were reported to run a mid-12's 1/4mi new, which I don't know if I believe, but they sound pretty quick. 900-some lbs weight (eek!), but for a long trip it's probably a good way to go. Maybe I can reupholster the seat with some gel inserts or something. =)

les the molester
Tue Dec 24th, 2002, 02:55 PM
I've been reading your list and especially this part of it as I'm also interested in LD rides. If anyone needs a witness for an upcoming SS1000 I'll be willing to do odometer verifications or just have a beer. My Brother and I will be doing a couple of rides (SS and BB) when work allows. If you are interested in a good route for a first time SS let me know.
Les

Anonymous
Tue Dec 24th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Hi Les! Welcome to the group. Actually we're doing an SS1K on 4/11, if you're interested in joining us. It'll be my first, but I think some of the other people in here have done them (Harry, and who else?).

The board's pretty quiet today, but lurk in here and feel free to jump in the conversation, wherever!

Cheers,
- Ralph

les the molester
Fri Dec 27th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome Ralph. I may be interested in an April SS; just depends on what's happening. I'm planning a combined 10 state SS and BB in the summer with a possible BBG attempt as well. I'll keep in touch.
Les