PDA

View Full Version : Good starter bike?

Zoom
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'll be taking a rider safety course and all the jazz you're supposed to do to avoid ending up Squid-bait, but I wanted some more input on a good starter bike.

I'm a super n00b as far as sportbikes goes and have the added bonus of being a whopping 5'1". I've been looking at Suzuki SV 650's after sitting on Natty's lowered bike. I hear Kawasaki's are suited for short people and are easy enough to lower as well.

Agree? Disagree? Stick to my Big Wheel?

SumoWeezle
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
best thing you can do Stephanie is to go around to all the dealers and sit on as many different bikes as possible. See which ones fit you the best and see which ones dont. Look at the 250's as well, they are plenty powerful enough machines for anything that you would want to do as a starter bike.

sugarrey
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Great started bike is the ninja 250. Not sure if you want to start that small or not. Bad news is my girl is 5'4" and we had to lower her 09 ninja 250 close to 4" just so she could touch. Not sure what else is out there, but the ninja 250 is cheap and is seriously a breeze to ride.

denver_whitest185
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
if you don't mind a top speed of 100 mph (plenty fast imo), get an older ninja 250 and put a 120/80 sized tire on the back of it. that should lower it plenty for you. they are light and easy to maintain if you like to do your own work...

i really liked mine, however im going to get a ninja 500r for my next bike since i like doing long trips, and the ninja was kinda buzzy sitting at 10k rpm all day long...

konichd
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Perhaps rent a 250 and see if you like it? www.coloradosportbikerentals.com

:) Shamless plug :)

asp_125
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Another option is to shave some foam off each side of the seat, near the front. It makes the seat narrower and that might help if you're close to being able to flat foot it.

I googled a bit - stock seat heights...

2009 Ninja 250: 30.5"
pre-09 Ninja 250: 29.5"
Ducati Monster 600/620ie: 30"
2008 SV650: 31.5"
07 Ninja 500: 30.5"
GS500: 31.1"
09 Ninja 650R: 31.1"

If you want to stray away from sport bikes:
BMW F650GS *old single cylinder model: 30.9"
BMW F650GS Low: 28"
Buell Blast: 25.5" / 27.5"

Foolds
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I would say a Ninja 500 or an Sv650 would be a great starter bike all around. Enough power to keep you entertained as you grow, but not enough to get you in serous trouble. Not sure about the hight of a Ninja 650R but that might be an idea as well.

sugarrey
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I put about 45 miles on my gf's 09 ninja 250 today. Top speed with me on it about 90 (im 230 lbs). In tuck I can possibly get over 100. I ran to broomfield and was between 9-11k the whole time on the highway. But like I said it is a great starter bike.

Pandora-11
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I just finished that course. The instructor advised me not to get a 250, but to start with a 500. He said that I wouldn't be happy with the lack of power.
Of course i am 5'6".

chanke4252
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I don't know if I'd say SV650 unless you plan on REALLY lowering it. I have one of those and at 5'11" I can't flatfoot it, so I can't imagine what 10" shorter would be like. I don't know if I would ever be comfortable on a bike where I could only touch down with one foot. The replacement for the SV, the gladius, is noteably lower and better suited for small riders imo. The Kawasaki ER-6N also has a lower seat height and is generally reviewed pretty favorably and is comparable to the gladius. Depending on how light you are though, I think a 500 would be better to start out on. I really like the way the ninja 500 looks (squared off oldschool sport).

asp_125
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I had an SV at 5"9" and could just flat foot it. It really comes down to inseam length.
+1 on the new Gladius and ER6-n being lower than their predecessors.

Tipys
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I would say a Ninja 500 or an Sv650 would be a great starter bike all around. Enough power to keep you entertained as you grow, but not enough to get you in serous trouble. Not sure about the hight of a Ninja 650R but that might be an idea as well.

I am 5'7'' with short legs and am on my tippy toes and is not easy to lower because of the type of shock it has. I am talking about the 650

GixxerCarrie
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Suzukis are also rather low....Thats why everyone always says Gixxers are for girls. I'm 5 foot 11. But, Sully, Sweetie Pie, we all have GSXR's. You can rent one of those at DK's shop too! lol.

I'm Gixxer biased....It was a great starter bike for me!

Foolds
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
An sv would have to be lowered for her and have the seat shaved. She would need at least a 2 inch drop plus 1 inch off seat. Then she would be fine.

Zoom
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've sat on a stock Ninja 500 and it was comfortable to flatfoot in sandals, so I figure with boots it's pretty good.

I've got a 27" inseam...all those bikes listed above would have to be lowered anyway. :p

I do want to do a fair bit of long-distance riding on it and would love to go canyon riding when I get the skills and when I get more skills--Track Days.

Think
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I've sat on a stock Ninja 500 and it was comfortable to flatfoot in sandals, so I figure with boots it's pretty good.

I've got a 27" inseam...all those bikes listed above would have to be lowered anyway. :p

I do want to do a fair bit of long-distance riding on it and would love to go canyon riding when I get the skills and when I get more skills--Track Days.
You don't necessarily need to flat foot if you don't mind just putting one foot down at stops.

The Ninja 500 is a great starter bike in my opinion. I remember riding with a guy with one in the first couple months I had my bike and he was hauling some serious arse in the canyons.

chanke4252
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:24 AM
You don't necessarily need to flat foot if you don't mind just putting one foot down at stops.

When I say flat foot I mean both feet at the same time. You can ride a bike you can't flat foot and put both feet down at a stop. So I think I misunderstand what you are saying. Learning to ride on a bike where you can only put one foot down seems like a great way to guarantee many drops. Learning to manage the weight is one of the major major problems for many beginners imo.

If you get a bike that you can't get both feet down on definitely put some sliders on before you take it out and try to get one with minimal or no fairings if possible, and try to find some riding boots with some nice aggressive treads so you can minimizing slipping when you come to a stop.

GixxerCarrie
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I'd tend to agree...if your a beginner and can't flat foot your bike or close...doom is for sure looming. I only know one girl who I see do it...and she has been riding for years.

Pharmgirl
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I started on the 250 and I highly recommend it. It's not super fast, but it keeps your small mistakes from becoming big mistakes in a hurry. It's easy to turn and I imagine that the newer 250s are even better than the pre 2008s.

I would not recommend my Ninja 650 as a starter bike because it's a bit heavy (especially compared to a 250) and is hard to manipulate when I am not actually riding it. Also, it is super torquey in first gear and thus not a lot of forgiveness. The seat height is significantly taller than the 250, but you can spend big bucks and get the rear shock replaced to lower it. I just wear taller boots. It is a bit of a beast and actually weighs more than my husbands GSXR 750, but is way more comfortable.

puckstr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:20 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1289839644.html
2007 Ninja 250

303-882-8697

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
SV650. It is a great bike, plenty of power, very forgiving and can be a ton of fun to ride in the canyons as well as on the track. Plus there are usually plenty of good deals on them going around.

salsashark
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM

This jumped out at me and screams Ninja 650r. Get it lowered and you're good to go. The 250's and sv's are great bikes as noted numerous times above. But if you're serious about logging miles, you're going to really want to have a larger engine that doesn't need to be screaming to keep up for long period of time. Plus, the relaxed ergonomics and wind protection will be much easier on you on longer rides.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
This jumped out at me and screams Ninja 650r. Get it lowered and you're good to go. The 250's and sv's are great bikes as noted numerous times above. But if you're serious about logging miles, you're going to really want to have a larger engine that doesn't need to be screaming to keep up for long period of time. Plus, the relaxed ergonomics and wind protection will be much easier on you on longer rides.

I have to second this one... I've done lots of long distance riding on my 650R and it has done great as well as getting into track days with it. I personally think it was the perfect starting bike for me...but I'm also about 6' tall and can flat foot the bike with some bend still in my knees. It is all about comfort and confidence on your bike though. I think the most important thing is to get a used bike for your first go round and realize that you can always upgrade later.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'd tend to agree...if your a beginner and can't flat foot your bike or close...doom is for sure looming. I only know one girl who I see do it...and she has been riding for years.
Eh, Lindsey can't flat foot her 250 and she does just fine. I can't flat foot my 600 and I do just fine too.

Zoom, you're getting into the debate of "what a first bike should be" and there are varied opinions as far as don't get one that's too big (engine AND physical size wise) vs. get whatever you want, just be responsible & careful with it. You can lower pretty much any bike, but that alters the geometry of the bike and will make it handle differently than the original designers intended.

ASP is right in that the older 250's are lower than the new ones. My girlfriend started riding last year on a 250 and ended up putting 3k miles on it over the summer. She's somewhere between 5'2" & 5'4" I think and, like I said above, she can't flat foot her bike, but she can get both feet down.

My personal advice for you would be to grab an older 250. Get one used so that if something happens to it, you didn't damage a "brand new" bike. You're small enough that power in a 250 should probably be fine for you for a year or two. Eventually you'll want to trade up, but I've always found it's easier to learn on something less powerful and then move up instead of starting on something more powerful & having to limit myself or have to worry about the horsepower in a panic situation. Plus, once you learn on a smaller bike, you can sell it to buy a bigger bike and, by then, you'll know what kind of bigger bike you want.

Bottom line is, the best thing you can do is go out & sit on a bunch of bikes that people here have recommended. Keep in mind that you can lower most bikes, but if you can find one that fits you without lowering, it would probably be better for you in the long run.

GixxerCarrie
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Eh, Lindsey can't flat foot her 250 and she does just fine. I can't flat foot my 600 and I do just fine too.

, but if you can find one that fits you without lowering, it would probably be better for you in the long run.

Agreed, just think its safer if you can put your feet down IMO. But, since I don't have that issue am not going to debate it! lol:)

Devaclis
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:17 AM
GS500F, Ask Sweetie Pie why.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah, if you live in flat Nebraska with no hills! :lol:

Matty
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
haven't had a chance to meet ya yet. But your first bike should be based on how aggresive you see yourself as. If you feel right now as though riding a bike is going to be extremely dangerous and you want to take a long time to get over that fear. then go ahead and hop on a 250.

Now, if you are a quick learner, someone who strives on being the best, and doesn't fear the fact they they might or will go down then go find yourself a 600. Just be prepared to respect the power.

just remember, you can crash on a 600 just like you can a 250. Again, as long as you learn how to respect the throttle you'll be fine.

if you're looking for a 600. The newer GSXR 600 ('o6 - 'o9) have a much lower ride height than any other 600 out there.

Pandora-11
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM

This is the bike my instructor recommended.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM
If you feel right now as though riding a bike is going to be extremely dangerous and you want to take a long time to get over that fear. then go ahead and hop on a 250.

Now, if you are a quick learner, someone who strives on being the best, and doesn't fear the fact they they might or will go down then go find yourself a 600. Just be prepared to respect the power.
Oh blow it out your ass Matty.

It doesn't matter what bike you have, if you don't respect it or its capabilities then you're gonna get what's coming.

You can be just as quick a learner and perfectionist and start on a 250. Lindsey's a damn good rider and I'd say that she fits well into the characteristics you mentioned for the 600 club and she's still pretty damn quick on the 250, so give the "if you're a man, a good person, and not a pussy, you'll ride a 600 or bigger" routine a rest.

Sure you can pick up a 600, liter bike, or whatever and learn to ride perfectly fine just as you would with a smaller bike. The only issue is, there's a lot less margin for error on those bikes. If you get into a panic situation and accidentally grab too much throttle or brake, the performance bikes are much less forgiving than a smaller bike.

salsashark
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
The seat height on a ZX-14 is only 31.5"... shorter that a GS or 650r...

Devaclis
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM
When I got my beginner Hyabusa, I didn't really have any confidence at all. After I tipped it in the parking lot twice and then wrecked in Deer Creek at about 90 crossing the double yellow, I got some confidence, and FAST! I was afraid to crash a big, expensive bike but it really is not that bad after you do it once or twice. Plus, if you have the money to buy a bike then you SHOULD have the money to replace broken parts when you wreck it. If not, then maybe riding a badass sportbike is not for you. You can't be poor and have fun on these things.

puckstr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I got a ninja 250 for sale

Ricky
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Ninja 250 all the way. That's how I started. It only lasted me one season before I was sick of it, but it was the perfect way to start, IMO.

dallas
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
This is the bike my instructor recommended.
So when are you getting this bike so we can go ride?

64BonnieLass
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Zoom, as a shrimp at 5'4, I loved the 250.

It helps you to build confidence which in my mind, is half the battle of learning to ride. Having my feet down is VERY important to me. And you may very well never decide to upgrade.

However, if you do choose an SV down the road, your confidence will have been maximized by the 250.

It isn't the right choice for all new riders, but in my shrimpness, it helped me a great deal.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
The seat height on a ZX-14 is only 31.5"... shorter that a GS or 650r...

When I got my beginner Hyabusa, I didn't really have any confidence at all. After I tipped it in the parking lot twice and then wrecked in Deer Creek at about 90 crossing the double yellow, I got some confidence, and FAST! I was afraid to crash a big, expensive bike but it really is not that bad after you do it once or twice. Plus, if you have the money to buy a bike then you SHOULD have the money to replace broken parts when you wreck it. If not, then maybe riding a badass sportbike is not for you. You can't be poor and have fun on these things.

LMAO...'nuff said!

Matty
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Oh blow it out your ass Matty.

It doesn't matter what bike you have, if you don't respect it or its capabilities then you're gonna get what's coming.

You can be just as quick a learner and perfectionist and start on a 250. Lindsey's a damn good rider and I'd say that she fits well into the characteristics you mentioned for the 600 club and she's still pretty damn quick on the 250, so give the "if you're a man, a good person, and not a pussy, you'll ride a 600 or bigger" routine a rest.

Sure you can pick up a 600, liter bike, or whatever and learn to ride perfectly fine just as you would with a smaller bike. The only issue is, there's a lot less margin for error on those bikes. If you get into a panic situation and accidentally grab too much throttle or brake, the performance bikes are much less forgiving than a smaller bike.

calm down buddy, lol.

It has nothing to do with being a guy or a girl. Or having balls or being a pussy. We've had this conversation before.

I'm not a believer of a 250 being a good starter bike. Just like you mentioned if you grab too much throttle on a 600 you could get into trouble a lot quicker. Well ya you're right, which is why i said you need to respect the throttle.

Now here's my arguement to that. The 250 has no power. Especially up at this elevation. If you're at a stop and need to get out of the way or if you're riding at street speeds and need to avoid something. The 250 does not have the acceleration to get out of harms way. You also mentioned the braking performance on a 600 could get you into trouble. Well samething goes for not having preformance based brakes. If you need to panic brake on the 250 you ain't going to stop in time. Look, i'm not saying that you can't ride the hell out of a 250 once you know how to ride. Shit, up at this elevation, i think only experienced riders should be on 250s.

To me i'd rather teach myself to respect the throttle and have the power when needed. Verse not having the power and hopeing that i'll never be in a position where it's needed.

puckstr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM
hello:hibye:
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1289839644.html

64BonnieLass
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
EVERYBODY: :music:Hi Steve:music:

Devaclis
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
It is a matter of opinion and other personal factors. I learned a totally different way than my wife did, and on a different bike. If there were ONE right answer, I would be RICH.

Matty
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:40 AM
It is a matter of opinion and other personal factors. I learned a totally different way than my wife did, and on a different bike. If there were ONE right answer, I would be RICH.
Exactly......

puckstr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
EVERYBODY: :music:Hi Steve:music:

thanks now I feel the love

Ricky
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:49 AM
When you know you want to twist the throttle til it stops, it's better to start on a 250. I disagree with not having enough power to get out of certain situations. I mean, if you're in 6th gear on a 600 going 50mph, you're not going to have any power either. Also, the brakes on the 250 are pretty damn solid. I know I had a few instances where I had to mash down on them, and they surely stop the bike quickly enough. Nothing like the brakes on the 600, but still.

To each his own, but I don't think a noob rider is going to be accelerating out of sticky situations...

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:52 AM
This looks like a good starter bike:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/06/504x_48-Cylinder_Kawasaki.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ratfuML9QA&feature=player_embedded

You'd have fun learning and you would kill all the neighborhood mosquitoes.

Dirk

Ricky
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Needs more cylinders... WTF is that? a V24? :lol:

Devaclis
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I had the same setup but with a dual headlight. It would turn on a dime. A dime the size of a city block.

konichd
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM
The 250 will serve you fine, I own 600's and 1000's and I always get the biggest smile on my face when I hop on the 250 :)

Or if you want to be a squid, talentless rider pick up any gixxer, doesn't matter which one, then throw a bunch of stuff on it. GIXXERFTW!

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Needs more cylinders... WTF is that? a V24? :lol:

That's a V48, 4200cc beast. Built by a guy who has built a supercharged, juiced H1 triple. That should tell you something about the guy's lack of sanity. :)

Dirk

salsashark
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Or if you want to be a squid, talentless rider pick up any gixxer, doesn't matter which one, then throw a bunch of stuff on it. GIXXERFTW!

DK's back!!! :lol:

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Exactly......What I'm saying is, with many viable answers, don't go getting all bigdick about which answer is better, that's all. For some folks you're right, for some folks Dana's right, etc. etc. etc. Just b/c someone chooses a different path doesn't make them any less of a "quick learner, someone who strives on being the best, and doesn't fear the fact they they might or will go down"

konichd
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Remember also it has nothing to do with riding, just how you look :)

I know this guy with a Kawasaki ZX10R Shinya Nakono Reverse replica with big $$$ stuck in it. Asshole only rides it a couple times a year.......poser :down:

GixxerCarrie
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
The 250 will serve you fine, I own 600's and 1000's and I always get the biggest smile on my face when I hop on the 250 :)

Or if you want to be an awesome rider pick up any gixxer, doesn't matter which one, then throw a bunch of stuff on it, cause it looks kick ass and I make money off of it! GIXXERFTW! Fixed!

David...:321:lol.

konichd
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
^^^Exactly Gixxers are good for business :lol: Reminds me I need to order some helmet mohawks this morning

GixxerCarrie
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:13 AM
^^^Exactly Gixxers are good for business :lol: Reminds me I need to order some helmet mohawks this morning
What about pigtails like leahs!

asp_125
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I disagree with the idea that a supersport is good for a newbie. Sure there are riders who do fine on one, just like the odd few who do fine starting on a 'busa.

A 250, 500, or the 650 twins have a much more linear throttle and progressive response than razor-edged SS bikes. For a newbie "respect the throttle" are just words, they have no baseline to go by how much is too much. A more forgiving bike may lack the kick in the pants acceleration, or the stop on a dime brakes, but it teaches the new rider to be aware of everything around them, and plan for passing and allow for braking distances. IMHO they learn to use their skills rather than rely on the specific bike's power as a crutch (it lets you get sloppy, thinking yeah you can just wack the throttle open).

A Ninja 500 has 50hp, compared to say a ~100hp R6. Twisting the throttle inadvertantly on the 500 makes it go faster. Do the same on a 1/4 turn throttle on an R6, and you're suddenly launched forward .. then panic kicks in and you ham fist the brakes. The margin for error on a supersport is that much smaller.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer, remember this is the interwebz and take everything with a grain of salt. Just be aware of WHY certain bikes are more newbie friendly than others, get trained, and wear gear.

Ricky
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I disagree with the idea that a supersport is good for a newbie. Sure there are riders who do fine on one, just like the odd few who do fine starting on a 'busa.

A 250, 500, or the 650 twins have a much more linear throttle and progressive response than razor-edged SS bikes. For a newbie "respect the throttle" are just words, they have no baseline to go by how much is too much. A more forgiving bike may lack the kick in the pants acceleration, or the stop on a dime brakes, but it teaches the new rider to be aware of everything around them, and plan for passing and allow for braking distances. IMHO they learn to use their skills rather than rely on the specific bike's power as a crutch (it lets you get sloppy, thinking yeah you can just wack the throttle open).

A Ninja 500 has 50hp, compared to say a ~100hp R6. Twisting the throttle inadvertantly on the 500 makes it go faster. Do the same on a 1/4 turn throttle on an R6, and you're suddenly launched forward .. then panic kicks in and you ham fist the brakes. The margin for error on a supersport is that much smaller.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer, remember this is the interwebz and take everything with a grain of salt. Just be aware of WHY certain bikes are more newbie friendly than others, get trained, and wear gear.

Well said

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Bingo! That's what I was trying to say earlier, but didn't have the grace that you did!

sugarrey
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I bought a 900rr back in the day for my sophomore (2nd year riding streetbike) and I got myself into trouble all the time, including almost launching myself off it several times. Too much power is a killer!!!

Start out low and slow, get your bearings then move to a 600. Get a used 250 that you wont mind dropping in the garage or driveway (cause it will happen), get some frame sliders and bar ends and give it a year. Yeah itll buzz like a bee at 10k down 25 and 70 but who cares, itll get you there safe.

Zoom
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Great answers, thanks everyone.

I've done a bit of riding (nothing over 45mph) on various cruisers; learned basic skills (braking, turns, bumps, passangering) on a Honda Helix (I know, it's an old man's road scooter but it's still two-wheel experience) and my ex had an old Yamaha RD250 did me well to play around on. I've had fun playing around on a friend's Honda 750 as well. Throttle is definitely something I respect; my friend with the 750 laughed at me when I first got on his bike, I spent a couple minutes playing with the throttle, just rocking the bike back and forth, to get a feel for where the throttle would engage and what my wrist position was. I know you don't grab a handful of throttle and twist it back; another friend who is a serious rider back in KC, showed me the trick of grabbing the throttle with your wrist leaning backwards when the bike is at a stop, so you can't accidently overtwist.

Like I said, I just want to learn properly and gain the skills to actually be a badass rider, instead of just getting a monster bike and posing until I end up in the hospital a few weeks later.

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Get something light and inexpensive. 250 - 650cc, the lower the seat hight the better. A Buell Blast would probably be perfect. You need find out if you even like sport riding. Until you try it you won't know. The same with racing, I have known a lot of people that liked the idea of being a racer and they looked great in their leathers, but they were slow and scared shitless on the track. I had as much fun on an old honda CB 350 as I have had on any other bike I have ever owned. It's not the bike, it's the act of riding that makes it fun.

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I will second the buell blast suggestion, I had one of those several years ago. Super slow single cylinder however on the plus side, very easy to ride in rain, snow or shine and low seat height. Only issue for me was reliability, blew that thing up fairly easily, does not like to rev high at all.

Come down to a bike night and sit on a bunch of bikes, that's an easy way to get many different models together to try on for size. No need to even ask, just walk around and sit on everyone's bike. That would be entertaining.

Sully
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Come down to a bike night and sit on a bunch of bikes, that's an easy way to get many different models together to try on for size. No need to even ask, just walk around and sit on everyone's bike. That would be entertaining.

:spit:... I would definitely ask prior to sitting on anyone's bike... :shocked:

Raptor
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
:spit:... I would definitely ask prior to sitting on anyone's bike... :shocked:

Unless you're at the Piper. They love it when people do that there.

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I thought it would be entertaining, I wouldn't actually expect anyone to actually do it without asking. One of those bikes may belong to a gangsta stunna.

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM

I will have to go to the Piper and try it out. Might have to put that on youtube.

Raptor
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I will have to go to the Piper and try it out. Might have to put that on youtube.

lolz :lol:

sugarrey
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Come down to a bike night and sit on a bunch of bikes, that's an easy way to get many different models together to try on for size. No need to even ask, just walk around and sit on everyone's bike

wow...

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
What does world of warcraft have to do with this? JK On a serious note, dont sit on anybodys bike without asking, it was a joke. If anybody wants to sit on an R6, let me know, by appointment only.

Sully
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM

It's because they are drunk and think they are getting on their OWN bike... :drink:

One of those bikes may belong to a gangsta stunna.

yes, that would be me... but I preferred to be called IcyHot Stunna! mkaythxbye..

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
How do you join this IcyHot Stunna crew, I dont see a membership link on the site. http://www.geocities.com/icyhotstuntazz/

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
One of those bikes may belong to a gangsta stunna.
Dude! You stunt gangstas? BADASS!!!

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I personally dont at this time however am looking to get into it as a side hobby. It could be a new trend, find a sturdy reliable gangsta and stunt em

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Wow, this thread derailed. :banghead:

Sully
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Wow, this thread derailed. :banghead:

Sean, Please refer to this thread... duh ! lol
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34047

apologies for derailing this thread :oops:

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Sean, Please refer to this thread... duh ! lol
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34047

apologies for derailing this thread :oops:Yup. I didn't open that thread because I thought it was going to be dumb. What do ya know, I was right. :up:

Zoom
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Derailing is a national pasttime. ;)

Yes, asking before sitting on anyone's bike goes without saying! Or at least, it should. I'm not *that* much of a n00b.

Sully
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yup. I didn't open that thread because I thought it was going to be dumb. What do ya know, I was right. :up:

I could have Rick rolled you ! :lol:

Zoom - just as others have stated.. sit on every bike you can to see if you like the feel and go from there. I would definitely get a used bike that you feel comfortable on along with both feet close to flat on the ground. As a n00b, you definitely don't want to try the tippy toe thing, imo. Best of luck :up:

Zoom
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've been out to BDubs a few times, just haven't gotten the guts to ask to sit on bikes yet. I think I'll suck it up and try this Friday. :)

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Point made, derailing the thread has been stopped. I would not honestly imagine somebody would sit on everybodies bike, noob or not. Its like going to a car show with privately owned cars and sitting in each one. Now the point I was trying to make is that a bike night would be a great place to meet people from the forums and elsewhere. Through that medium we call a bike night, one may propose to another to try the seating position of their bike. Lets get back on track, buell blast would be a good starter, cheap as well. You can probably find a 2000 or newer for around 1500 or so with a little price negotiation. It is decently lightweight and does not have any side fairings as it is naked so less to scratch up, real life saver there as I dropped my blast a couple times. Riding position is comfortable compared to my r6 atleast which kills the wrists, back, etc.

You are welcome to try my R6 just to get an estimate of ride height however I am 5' 10" and have to tiptoe it or if one foot is flat on the ground, the other is hanging on the side.

sugarrey
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM
if your near colfax and 25 you can cruise over and sit on my gf's 09 ninja 250. its lowered about 3-4 inches with a suspension change and i believe a zx-10 lowering link. We walked out the door with lojack, jacket and helmet for less than $4k brand new, so used should be 1200-2000 i am guessing.

Come on over and try it out.

Jeff

Stank Juic3
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I mean i didn't follow the 250 route but I say learn on a dirty bike for basic fundamentals, then for street pick up a 250 and later buy the Y2K bike lol.

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I also have to say, that I agree with Matty, to a point. I didn't start on a 250 or SV and I'm fine. I think this is actually how a fair amount of people have started as well. I bought a used bike (because you're probably going to crash at some point) over 5 years old. I pick up things pretty quickly and enjoy pushing myself a little. I knew I'd grow tired of a smaller bike quickly. Plus, a supersport looked so much cooler! Newer 600's are really quick, at least an older one is a little forgiving. Found a cheap one and tried to learn how to ride it well.

I've had my 2001 R6 for 3 years now. While part of me just wants something new, I have no real reason to get rid of it. It's plenty fast and I still can't ride it to it's full potential.

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM
- 2002 Buell Blast 500cc Low miles! - $2000 - (http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1292165274.html)

64BonnieLass
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I also have to say, that I agree with Matty, to a point. I didn't start on a 250 or SV and I'm fine.

Sean, you and Matty aren't 5'1 either. (well, Matty's close...but still) :p It makes a big difference on the kind of bike a person has options with.

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Sean, you and Matty aren't 5'1 either. (well, Matty's close...but still) :p It makes a big difference on the kind of bike a person has options with.Very good point. Angela is 5'5 or 5'6 and she's okay on my R6. She can almost be completely flat foot. I think at 5'1 anything is going to be a little taller than they would like. Lowering links and a shaved seat may be necessary no matter what bike they choose. :dunno:

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, Lindsey's 5'small and can't even stand up my ZX-6 but get can both feet down on her twofiddy.

Inseam, she doesn't has it.

oh, and since we're back on topic, threadjackoff? :jerkoff:

cdbouncer
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'm a fairly new rider and a 5'4" I looked around a bit before I decided what I wanted. I sat on lots of bikes - depending on the years of said bike a Honda CBR600 was ok --toes on both sides --or WAY to tall, could hardly stand it up. It was like that for me with almost every sportbike I threw a leg over.

My first bike was a real honest to goodness starter bike. It was hashed. It was ugly but it ran. 1993 CBR600 F2 (or 3 I can't remember now). I could actually get on both balls of my feet over this bike. It was very important to me to be able to do that.

My current bike is a 2008 SV650. When it came stock it was taller than my cbr but I could still toe on both sides. We put a gsxr shock in it (that Dave shortened a bit) and that helped but we didn't actually fix the preload in it until later that year....which REALLY helped. Since the shock didn't initially help as much as I wanted we shaved my seat - took about 2" off the seat. This allowed me to stand with both balls of my feet on the ground. Then, after much complaining about the stiff ride, they finally decided to take some of the preload off....now I have a comfy ride and bike is another inch at least shorter - I can stand flat foot!

Lesson learned - I got used to toes or balls of feet and now I don't use flat feet anyway so that extra inch wasn't necessary (I might buy another seat just to have more padding now).

Anyway - this is getting longer than I wanted. The guys are right - sit on lots of bikes. Decide if you want something you can lay down --I did twice at a stop -- and not care about or if you want to get something you'll ride for a few+ years. I personally feel getting my beater bike was the best thing I did for myself.

Bikes can get shorter but as you get more comfortable with riding, it'll be less important to you.

As far as badass rider...yea, pick up a beater bike - get it track ready and start there! imo anyway :)

OUTLAWD
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I would originally suggest dual sport or motard, because they have a very neutral riding position, easy to shave the seat, lightweight, liveable power...BUT probably not the best for long haul rides.

I agree with Matty and Sean...

Having no power (250) is dangerous is some situations. The altitude and elevation changes do not help the 250's case out here. People always harp on leaving room for error, don't ride at 100% on the street, etc, but if a situation comes up where a bit more acceleration could get you out of a dangerous spot (more likely to happen to a new rider), you'd be screwed on a 250 because you've already got the thing pinned just to keep up with traffic.

Something with a smooth, linear powerband can teach respect for the throttle without the big surprise at the topend of all the new 4 cyl sportbikes, where they are virtually dead below 10k, then the thing takes off. They are also worlds easier to ride on the street and much more forgiving IMO. I rode my triumph 955 for 2 years on the street before I ever had the thing wide open or hit the rev limiter in any gear, just because I never needed to ( and i am SLOW).

Any bike is going to need to be lowered to be comfortable/safe on. So I would realistically look at what kind of riding you want to do, and pick a bike that meets those needs.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
if a situation comes up where a bit more acceleration could get you out of a dangerous spot (more likely to happen to a new rider), you'd be screwed on a 250 because you've already got the thing pinned just to keep up with traffic.
First off, I'm not being sarcastic here at all, just interested in another opinion! You think that a new rider is more likely to get in a situation where throttle is the answer? I found that throttle was more trouble when I was new to riding and only now that I've been on two wheels awhile, I find that throttle is the answer to more situations.

I mean everyone learns to ride differently, but what kind of situations did you find that having that acceleration helped?

asp_125
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Don't forget, even a 250 has enough power to out accelerate most cars. (unless you happen to weigh 300lbs)

willb003
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I would go for either the Ninja 500(I did and it was a good entry bike) or the SV650 which has more power to grow with.

Stank Juic3
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Tell you the truth theres no safe bike ride with the crazy ass cagers out there.

Xtremjeepn
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Love the "Ninja 250 has no power" comments.

It runs a 14.6 second 1/4 mile:shocked: Which is faster than most of the cars on the road.

Of course it does not have power compared to a modern 600+ but put it in a bit of perspective. For a new rider it probably accelerates faster than ANY vehicle they have previously been in control of.

The big issue, (as stated earlier), is that 1mm of twist on a 250 is a much different power delivery than 1mm twist on a modern 600. This is REALLY REALLY important for someone trying to learn the environment, technique etc. Any slip up that could cause 2mm or more throttle when 1mm was the intent can cause a new rider to run wide into a curb, car etc.

It is the FIRST bike, not the last.

You also have to keep in mind that the power out put of modern bikes is MUCH different than bikes from just a few years ago. A 1986 FZ600 for example put out about 54hp, a 2008 R6 is more like 130HP. So what used to be true about starting on a 600 is not so much the case today.

New liter bikes put out more than 100hp MORE than some of the original supersports.

Bueller
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
The 250 is a kick ass little bike, my GF is learning on mine. I some times take it on rides (canyons) as my first choice and have an absolute blast on it. I have absolutly no problems with riding it in traffic. Your brain is what keeps you safe, not a throttle.
The bike is light, very very manuverable and easy as hell to ride. Positioning is good for comfort and confidence. Suspension and brakes are remarkably good for lower end parts.
In the last few months I have had mine, it has taught me a ton about riding.

Matty
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
It runs a 14.6 second 1/4 mile:shocked: Which is faster than most of the cars on the road.

a 2008 R6 is more like 130HP.

Sweet my car is faster than a 250!!!

And i think you might be off about 25 or so HPs on the 130HP R6.

GixxerCarrie
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
:dunno:You guys are all cracking me up! We are worried about her throttle power but she can one foot it?:wtf:

IDK...who is coming to bdubs with a 250? Zoom..I sat on alot of bikes...I have the opposite problem..my legs are so long that on Yamahas my legs stick out way beyond the tank rather than forming to it. It wasn't comfortable. I took the MSF course through Harley and did it on a Buell 500. The again I bought my Gixxer 6 as a newb before I took the course.

a 250 will do you fine...Less money, great experience and you can trade up anytime!

Xtremjeepn
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
And i think you might be off about 25 or so HPs on the 130HP R6.

How do you figure that?

2008/2009 R6
[QUOTE]99.6 kW (135 PS) @ 14,500 rpm with direct air induction / 94.9 kW (129 PS) @ 14,500 rpm without direct air induction[9]/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF-R6

135Ps=~133HP

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
How do you figure that?

135Ps=~133HP

At the crank. Matty is almost certainly talking about at the rear wheel. My 750 race bike puts about 125 to the rear wheel.

Dirk

Jim_Vess
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 10:50 PM
How do you figure that?

2008/2009 R6
99.6 kW (135 PS) @ 14,500 rpm with direct air induction / 94.9 kW (129 PS) @ 14,500 rpm without direct air induction[9]/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF-R6

135Ps=~133HP

From the June 2009 issue of Sport Rider, page 42, the 2009 R6 produced 102.1 RWHP. At 108.7, the ZX-6R made the most RWHP of all the bikes in the '09 middleweight comparison.

Matty
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 11:07 PM
^^^ Thanx...

sergio
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 01:21 AM
I wish my R6 had 130 to the wheel, that would be fun.

Xtremjeepn
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 06:53 AM
I get the whole wheel vs. crank. But the reality for the context of the original post is the only was to state it is in crank hp for several reasons.

-First, every dyno is different.

-Second, it is easy to look up and compare stock vs. stock manufacturer claims going back 30+ years. Where it is hard if not impossible to find twp bikes 22 years apart that were dynoed on the same dyno on the same day.

-Third, dynos don't take into account the "ram air effect"

So if you go back to the original post you will see that I was comparing an old 600 at a rated 54hp to a new one at a rated 130. All of which was simply to make the point that, what used to be a good idea of starting on a 600 is not the same game it used to be.

Honestly, arguing the symantics of crank vs wheel is silly here. Why did no one protest the FZ600 hp number? Or how about this? The 250 Ninja is rated at 36hp, the SV650 at 77hp.

For the refrence of a BEGINNER the difference is all that needs to be understood. You can't make a valid difference comparison unless both bikes are run on the same dyno the same day. And they are ALL going to produce WAY different numbers. I've seen the same car put down 150hp difference just by switching dyno brands.

Which, all makes it simpler and mor valid to just state the rated crank hp.

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 07:04 AM
:dunno:You guys are all cracking me up! We are worried about her throttle power but she can one foot it?:wtf:

IDK...who is coming to bdubs with a 250? Zoom..I sat on alot of bikes...I have the opposite problem..my legs are so long that on Yamahas my legs stick out way beyond the tank rather than forming to it. It wasn't comfortable. I took the MSF course through Harley and did it on a Buell 500. The again I bought my Gixxer 6 as a newb before I took the course.

a 250 will do you fine...Less money, great experience and you can trade up anytime!
+1^
If you keep your ego out of the equation, a bike like the Ninja 250 is what you should and will get. Let your ego decide and you may end up on a Busa.

Remember, you will learn to sport ride faster and safer on a bike like a Ninja 250 or gs 500 than on a supersport.

I would rather surprise people with my Ninja 250 than get my scared ass left behind, or crash trying to keep up on a supersport.

Matty
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Remember, you will learn to sport ride faster and safer on a bike like a Ninja 250 or gs 500 than on a supersport.

Is this fact or your opinion?

dirkterrell
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Honestly, arguing the symantics of crank vs wheel is silly here.

I don't think that anyone is arguing your point (I happen to agree with it.) but when you give numbers, it's best to state what they are so that everyone is working from the same point of reference.

Why did no one protest the FZ600 hp number?

Because half the people here weren't alive when the FZ600 came out? :)

My 500 Interceptor put out 68hp at the crank, a pretty amazing number at the time.

Dirk

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Is this fact or your opinion?
It's my educated opinion.

Devaclis
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:47 AM
This thread is still going? Like the 84 Beginner Bike threads the CSC has had?

puckstr
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:48 AM
I

Because half the people here weren't alive when the FZ600 came out? :)

Dirk
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CE1mThOkgME/SDns3MkYd3I/AAAAAAAABrw/gSqLDN7a0bs/s320/oldguysrule-cowboywisdom.jpg

dirkterrell
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:48 AM
This thread is still going? Like the 84 Beginner Bike threads the CSC has had?

Yeah, but we still haven't settled what kind of oil you should use in a beginner bike, not to mention what tires to use.

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah, but we still haven't settled what kind of oil you should use in a beginner bike, not to mention what tires to use.

Dirk
Don't use oil, use race gas! and get any tires that will fit, and fill 'em with race gas!!! VRRROOOOOOOMMMMM!!!! :D

Devaclis
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:50 AM
What is the best oil for a beginner bike?

dirkterrell
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
What is the best oil for a beginner bike?

Beginner bikes don't need oil. Once you get good enough to rev it high enough to trash the bearings, you're ready for a Busa.

Dirk

asp_125
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Is NOS good for a beginner bike?

MetaLord 9
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah, but you've gotta make sure you pour it directly into the tank. You can pick it up at your local gas station store, in the beverage section.

puckstr
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 09:36 AM

Yes but using a JATO rocket is a better solution

MetaLord 9
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Yes but using a JATO rocket is a better solution

I think riding your mom is a better solution

Devaclis
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM
i drink your milkshake

GixxerCarrie
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 09:43 AM
OMG...poor Zoom thread Jack from Hell...but you get the picture.

puckstr
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 09:44 AM
I think riding your mom is a better solution

Not if you met her:puke:

Devaclis
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Carrie, this thread lost all relevance as soon as the first person replied to the original post. It is all about attrition now. Say your prayer and stand back and watch.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Not if you met her:puke:
Think like a hunter man, bag it & tag it. :hump:

kawasakirob
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Got a 1993 Ninja 250 mint condition off of ebay for 1,100. Everything is mint. Don't waste your money buying a new fancier beginner bike. My girlfriend is 5'2 and she is on her tip toes, but still able to move it around nicely. Seriously, don't spend more than 1500 on your first bike. Buell Blasts are good too.

chanke4252
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Rob,you aren't the one selling that orange Z1000 up in WP are you?