PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2007 Graphing/Aggregate Data Help

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I have done 13 separate 2nd degree poly regressions for 13 sets of (x,y) data points. I now need to roll all of that up and develop an aggregate line of best fit representing all data.

The problem comes in when I try to point excel to all 13 seperate .CSV file paths, representing all (x) points. The file paths generated are just too long for the input box. If possible, I like to be able to point Excel at each of the 13 separate graphs, but I don't think this is possible. There are roughly 2300 data points spread across 13 .csv files, the x's being dynamic and the same set of (y) data apply to each set of (x).

Halp? :dunno:

brennahm
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
If the file names being too long are giving you the headache, why not put in a separate data sheet with all the values in it. Should be easier to reference...?

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
MumbojumbomumbojumboblahblahblahihavenoideaWTFhe's talkingabout, mightaswellbeinCantonese....
Halp? :dunno:

Crayolas?

:lol:

Zach929rr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Crayolas?

:lol:

:spit:

@Henry: I really didn't want to do that, but I guess that's what I gots to do.

Ricky
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Why not put the files in the root of your C drive (or a 2 letter folder on the C drive), and go from there?

salsashark
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Why not put the files in the root of your C drive (or a 2 letter folder on the C drive), and go from there?

along those lines...

How spread out are your CSV's? Can they be relocated to the same folder, then use a relative path within Excel to point to the charts?

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
prompt> copy file1+file2+file3+... combined_file

then pull combined_file into Excel and do your fit.

Dirk

Zach929rr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Relocating the .csv would require editing the SCADA systems export saves and redirecting the output of the .csv file to the new directory. Not hard, just time consuming. Even with a short directory name, I don't think there is enough character spaces on the (x) and (y) value selections in Excel to select the separate .csv's data groups. I was in the process of copy/pasta'ing everything into an aggregate excel file but was having (x,y) mismatch problems that I will have to handle separatly for each data group.

Thankfully, this will be the kind of thing that doesn't really need dynamic data input save for every few months of updating gas flow and temperatue (that's what I'm correlating). I just need to run this now to develop a regression that represents all data points.

Ricky
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, there's no real way to get around path length limitations other than relocating the files.

I get this occasionally when compiling apps because the project itself is already so deep within my documents, that it makes the path name stupid long. I will often have to relocate the project to a folder on the root, just to be able to compile.

Zach929rr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Alright. Think I might just save myself the general headache and line up all data points on a single worksheet, match up (x,y) pairs correctly, and graph that.

salsashark
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Was just talking to my Excel guru here... He said if it's a one time thing, do a single worksheet. If this is a repetitive task, look into writing a custom function, then calling it when you need it.

Zach929rr
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
^^ Thanks mang.