PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a lead to a theft ring?

MikeG
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
We live in the Lakewood area and earlier today, I had just stepped out of the shower and my wife comes rushing in to tell me there was some guy outside of our apartment taking pictures of my motorcycle and of the two other motorcycles parked next to it. She gave me a description of what he looked like and said he walked off. I got my gear on, hopped on my bike and set out to find this guy to ask what was the purpose of the photos.
I rode around for about 10 minutes and found him on the other side of the complex. I approached him pretty quick and asked why he was taking pictures of my motorcycle. He responded that he was writing a report on motorcycles that turned into transformers. I explained to him that there has been a lot of thefts in the area and I would appreciate it if he would ask me first. He said he would but it raised some additional questions:

If you were doing a report on motorcycles, why not get some pictures of the internet? after all he did have a digital camera.
Why would you walk around an apartment complex taking photos of motorcycles just before noon on a Thursday?

This guy was white, in his 30's about 6' with a slim build, and had dark colored hair, and wore a brown hat

What are your thoughts?

PoweredMotives
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Good call on that! Moy mom caught 3 people in her neighborhood last week taking pictures of her T/A last week. at 4 A.M. mind you. I hate people like that!

McVaaahhh
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
If he's in his 30's, why is he doing a report on anything?

MikeG
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM
If he's in his 30's, why is he doing a report on anything?

Yea, just what I thought.. a report for WHAT, exactly?

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Smells fishy, Mike. Why would he go around to a parking lot to take pics? Keep an eye on your shit and make sure it's locked up as well as possible.

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
If he's in his 30's, why is he doing a report on anything?:scream1: Hey, there are 30 year old students!

Devaclis
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM
If he was i nhis 30's and writing a report on bikes that turn into Transformers, ask him what WoW server he plays on and what spec his toon his. If he cannot answer, beat his ass. He is lying.

No 30 year old man is writing a damned report on transformers. Not if he does not have a WoW account.

Tipys
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM
:scream1: Hey, there are 30 year old students!

But would they being doing a report on motorcycles and transformers?

But ya I would keep a good eye on your bike. I would also try and find the owners of the other bikes and let them know whats going on.

Wait if the guys name was Sean. He could have really been doing a report about bikes and transformers.

sergio
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Good point on the report idea, not sure why a guy of that age is writing such a report. Definitely start watching out for this guy, he may have been "shopping" for the actual thief who comes back and takes what is desireable and can sell. Unfortunately nowadays, it looks like vehicles are stolen more for profit than joyriding.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Don't know if it would be worth your time or not to call the cops and give them a heads up so if/when they are in your area they can keep an eye out for that description? Then again, I may be hopelessly naive in the matter...I'm sure the cops have plenty else to be watching for. :dunno:

asp_125
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Sounds too fishy. Take a picture of him, post it up on Craigslist. With all the thefts lately it could very well be he's casing out bikes/cars for his "customers".

salsashark
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Maybe he's the leader of a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune.

Devaclis
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Tell Aracheon to get the hell off your lawn.

Sean
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Tell Aracheon to get the hell off your lawn.But he would be able to answer your WoW server question. :lol:

PoweredMotives
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM
If he was i nhis 30's and writing a report on bikes that turn into Transformers, ask him what WoW server he plays on and what spec his toon his. If he cannot answer, beat his ass. He is lying.

No 30 year old man is writing a damned report on transformers. Not if he does not have a WoW account.

LMAO so true...

MikeG
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I do agree with the possibility that he's shopping for the actual thief, I've never seen this guy around the complex before, and he did seem pretty nervous. I plan on talking to others in the building with motorcycles and I have informed the complex management a month ago that there have been quite a few thefts in the area.

Devaclis
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Leave it out

Sit in the dark with your "boom stick"

Wait

InlineSIX24
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I just had my truck broken into which I'm still pissed about and and just happen to have also sighted-in the .308 this last weekend. We could try Dana's idea. It wouldn't be the same guy that hit mine, but it would releave stress.

Aracheon
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Tell Aracheon to get the hell off your lawn.

I don't wear hats. I have hippie hair. :D

Tipys
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I don't wear hats. I have hippie hair. :D

Bullshit I have seen you wearing a hat before.

michaelawsome
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM
hell yea.. sit out and wait.. they might be doing it for the weekend. i would deff be paranoid and prolly not sleep and just watch the bike.

bodhizafa
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ya definitely shopping. Watch your bike! But would he really be that casual about taking pics? Watch your bike!

jimwallace
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
by gettin up on this guy the way you did you may have just prevented the whole thing if thats what it was. I wouldnt want to snatch bikes (or have bikes snatched) if i was spotted photographing the bikes and someone was able to identify me. So good for you, but i would still keep it locked as tightly as possible.

sugarrey
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
I woulda set his camera to video, put it on your bike seat pointed towards him, then kicked him in the balls.

nlh8584
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I woulda set his camera to video, put it on your bike seat pointed towards him, then kicked him in the balls.

LMAO Thats a great mental picture :shocked:

dapper
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Not so much...

I have seen video footage of a similar action.

The sound of foot-to-package was caught. Unpleasant :(

'They' take a snap-shot of the serial numbers. Carry your dog with you during the recreational walks around your complex, just because dogs enjoy the walkabout. :D

Lots of pics are copyrighted. Time will tell...

DanFZ1
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 11:25 PM
I guess I'm a bit slow on the uptake or, maybe I just don't have a criminal mind but;

Why would you run the risk of alerting people to your presence in the area by acting suspicious, i.e. taking the bike pictures and having a lame excuse for doing so.

I don't understand what the serial number photographs are going to get you?

It is a bit odd though.

http://www.motorcycle-financing-guide.com/motorcycle-theft/

...also, I don't suppose it would hurt to give the cops a heads up?
...and maybe keep a look out for old Ford Econoline vans.

Valguard
Sat Aug 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM
YES. Its a theft ring or whatever you want to call it. They are taking pictures to line up a buyer/find someone to part it out. They don't sound too good though if you caught them taking pictures. Fortunately, you did catch him, so that might slow them up but be on the look out.

Once they decide its worth their time, they will follow you and learn your routine. Then, they plan a time and place to swipe it. One minuite its there, the next its gone. Just like that.

How can you keep it safe? Make it not worth their time. Keep it in a garage, change up your routine, be active with your neighbors and people at work, park it in high traffic areas where there are security cameras...pray.

Good luck man. This is a reminder to us all not to get to comfortable. If you have had stuff stolen, you know what I mean.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Sat Aug 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM
leason learned. Call the police if you thing something suspicious is going on. Let them talk to the photo guy, maybe they would find other things on his camera that may lead to his arrest.
If he is innocent, now worries...

chanke4252
Sat Aug 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Wait, wait, wait...Your bike turns into a transformer?

DanFZ1
Sat Aug 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Wait, wait, wait...Your bike turns into a transformer?

Sure, doesn't yours?
:scramble:

whitebrad
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Leave it out

Wait

i might join in on that one... we could "camp out" and have s'mores and set the guy on fire and sing kumbaya

i would like to talk to that guy...

but, then again, i am 30 and in college... of course i don't take summer classes (which are all over as of 2 weeks ago) and i don't write about transformers... but really,

what the fffffffk is wow?

Stank Juic3
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
This guy was white, in his 30's about 6' with a slim build, and had dark colored hair, and wore a brown hat

White on white crime, yall all look the same so it could be any one of you. I would question everyone lol j/k. Sounds like the guy meets the Indiana Jones profile.

Ricky
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I would have taken a picture of him and said "This is just for a future report I'm working on" (police report)

nwatkins
Mon Aug 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I would report the suspicious activity to the Police. That way when other bikes, not yours get stolen they have something to start with. Yours; I would for sure at least chain it up to the over head covers or whatever, so the theives can decide it is not worth their time and take your neighbors bike instead.

Horsman
Mon Aug 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Leave it out

Wait

Yup, Bait Him!!! Shop S-MART!!!!

Dana's Boom Stick
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/army-of-darkness-bruce.jpg

You Primates with your primative minds wouldn't know about Metals and Motorcycles turning into Transformers!!! Mine is PessimistPrime

Speedwagon
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I would have taken a picture of him and said "This is just for a future report I'm working on" (police report)

^^ This, but I'd follow it up with watching him to get a vehicle or residence to tie him to, so it'd be a solid lead if any of the bikes end up missing from the complex soon. Or hell, ask for an ID from him. That'd probably make him quite nervous.

sp0rtygrl
Sat Sep 12th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I got so tired of people jack’n with my shit and having to watch my back that I had to move out of the city before I killed someone. Now it takes me 30-45 minutes to get somewhere but the peace of mind is well worth it. If you see him around again kick him in the balls for me.