PDA

View Full Version : Where to camp at Winter Park?

BigE
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Decided to take my sons up to Crankworx at WP and am just planning on crashing/camping overnight in the Suburban (one plus to the having a monster SUV).
Wondering if anyone knows some spots in/close to/ between WP or Frasier?

JohnEffinK
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:15 PM
WP Parking lot?

When I was racing, the lot was standard for a lot of overnighters.....

John

BigE
Thu Jul 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
That's a thought. Last time I camped overnight was racing the 24hrs of Adrenalin and we parked a camper in a wooded lot smack in the middle of town.
Kinda figure those are taken already, guess we'll have to cruise around a bit. I was thinking there were some spots west(?) of Frasier up the dirt road that I think Tipperary Creek Trail crosses. I don't really remember as it's been a few years since I've been up there for anything, used to do the Fat Tire Classic every year but that was staying somewhere nice since the Wifey was with ;)

kawasakirob
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 11:38 AM
There are a few places. Right after you pass the resort on your right hand side before you enter town, there is camping on the right called Idleglen campground. They usually have open spaces. Also Robber's Roost once you get down from Berthoud on your right hand side, a little bit further away from the resort but still close. You can also cruise up the Old Moffat rail road route across from the resort and camp off the side of the road up there. You are allowed. There are some CG up Vasquez Rd. aways. Another good one is St. Louis Creek CG outside of fraser, past the experimental forest. Take a Left on County Rd. 5 then a left on on 50. Follow it all the way down to the stopsign. Take a left and go about 100 yds to the next stop sign. Take a right and you will head into it about 2 mile down the road. See you at Crankworks man, until Sat.

mtnairlover
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM
There seems to me that there's a campsite as you come down off of Berthoud Pass before you get into WP...it's on the right hand side. But, with so many camp grounds and natl parks closing because of budget...I dunno if it's still open.

I tried searching on Google and only came up with these sites.. (http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=grand+county+colorado+campgrounds&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&ei=8i1zSsa9OY78MeGx-bAM&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1).

Then you could also try the Chambers of Commerce in the area. The website with the CrankWorx info is...http://www.grand-county.com/camping.html

I hope you all have a wonderful time up there.

kawasakirob
Fri Jul 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
There seems to me that there's a campsite as you come down off of Berthoud Pass before you get into WP...it's on the right hand side.

Robbers Roost. Still open:)