PDA

View Full Version : How to sell

bcwood
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
So if you were selling a bike - how do you handle a potential buyer vis-a-vis test ride? No rides at all? I see some sellers ask to see cash - does that mean just show some cash or something like a $500 deposit??

Repsol a095
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
I usually feel it out. I had an older guy pull up in a Lexus in great condition. I went ahead and let him ride it without leaving me anything. On the other hand, I have had a few 19 year old kids show up asking for a ride. At that point, I ask for the money in hand. In the end, I am sure that you already know, you are the one responsible if anything happens, so gauge it wisely or get the cash in hand.

I know that this doesn't help that much, but I think it comes down to feeling out each situation. I am sure that some will not agree with this, but you need to do what is best for you and the sale.

The Black Knight
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
My point of view, when it comes to selling a bike. Absolutely NO TEST RIDES. Why? well because I don't run full coverage on my bike. Second, if the guy jets with the bike, I'm out a bike and it's not like the cops will do anything about it.

Bikes aren't like cars. You just can't test drive them like a car. Salesman can't ride with you and you could just book out of there with the bike. I fully understand when even dealerships won't allow test rides.

There are just some things in life that you purchase that you can't test out(i.e. guns, motorcycles). So I don't think it is unreasonable at all for the seller to refuse test rides. If the buyer doesn't like it, they can always go somewhere else.

The few bikes I've sold, I always let the potential buyer, fire them up and let them get up to operating temperature. I'll always rev the bike up through the rpm range so they can hear the motor and what not.

The other thing for me when I've sold bikes, is I never have insurance on them to begin with. I always cancel insurance when I'm going to sell a bike(no sense in keeping insurance on something you're selling). So that for me is reason enough to never allow test rides.

I've heard way to many horror stories of people test riding bikes and wadding them up. Then the seller is out the bike and the buyer runs off. Even happened to an old co-worker of mine. She had a older CBR600, let some guy test ride it because she was selling it. The idiot binned it on I25 by motor city. So she was out a bike and he didn't pay for it.

Best advice man, is trust no one and if they want to test ride it. Tell them, only with a deposit in the amount of the sale price. That should give them the hint to either buy it, or move on.

I hate to be that shrewd when doing business but the way people are today, it's only good CYA policy.

sergio
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
I will second that, no rides unless the agreed asking price is in your hand. There are ofcourse some exceptions however not too many.

Zach929rr
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
The guy I bought my bike from (making payments on it even) let me test ride it without any collateral. Of course that is because I'm a stand up citizen.

sugarrey
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
100% cash in hand, and a written agreement signed by him that if he drops the bike its his. I would not let the bike leave your eyesight, I've had friends that let their bikes out of sight because the guy had the same bike at home, took the bad part and swapped it with the good part.

Dont' underestimate stupid.

bcwood
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
The guy I bought my bike from (making payments on it even) let me test ride it without any collateral. Of course that is because I'm a stand up citizen.
Send me your pic so I know what a stand up citizen looks like. ;-)

Zach929rr
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Post-Pueblo, naturally. :D

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12340&stc=1&d=1242143380

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Asking price CASH in hand for test rides and HOPE he doesn't return.

Repsol a095
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I just sold one of my bikes tonight, and it came down to reading the situation and making the call. The guy was in his late thirties and worked for Denver Health. He spent a ton of time looking, tinkering, and playing with all the gadgets on the bike. He talked about his riding experiences as we looked at the bike. His wife was there with a nice car. After speaking with her for some time, she told me that she was a teacher and they were buying the bike to do a little traveling. I finally let him take it around the block without a deposit or a written agreement. Ten minutes later, he gave me full asking price.

I know there is a ton of concern with letting people get on your bike, but in the end, trust can create a deal. If you trust them with the bike, they trust you with your word. Again, I know it is a personal call, and alot of people are not going to agree with me, but you need to go with your gut. Good luck, man!!

BigE
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
Just gotta comment on a couple of things.
First, in a private party sale, go with your gut feeling. Some people I have let test ride others....eh, not so much. ;)

However, concerning new and used bikes from a dealer. If a dealer won't let me try out a bike that I'm going to be handing over a significant chunk of change for...well, I'll find one who will.
Fays lost out on me buying a couple of bikes because of the no test ride deal. That's a big reason I bought my Triumph at Erico. They have demo bikes so you can test ride whatever you want.

sergio
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Dealerships can be a drag at times, my buddy bought a 1000rr from Fay and they didnt allow a ride. The only other dealer I have experience with is Vickery. No issues with test rides there, showed my endorsement and got on. Even got a chance to test out an R1 while my R6 was getting ready.

I agree with you there BigE, some dealers are missing out due to no ride policies. They probably dont wanna go through the hassle of filing an insurance claim if dealers carry insurance for such a purpose, I am not really sure, then again its a toss up. Whats worse, filing a claim or not selling any bikes. I guess the same may apply for private party test rides. However if its truly not a joyride, most buyers would probably agree to putting cash down prior to test riding.

Going with your gut is fine as well even though its a little risky. When I sold my Buell, the guy came over in a Ducati with full gear. That image alone would make me lean towards letting the guy ride. In that case it didnt really help cause the Buell didnt run however still the thought counts.

Mental
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
When I bought my Gixxer from a dealer, they were quite apprehensive about letting me test ride. We had a talk about my experince, how many years, what kind of bikes, track time etc, and then I had to sign a document accepting liability if i did wad it up. There were a few peaple that wanted to test ride it, and they wouldn't let them.

Selling, adverstise no test rides without cash, but be prepared to be flexible, if your gut says so. If they push the issue, "won't buy it without a ride yadda yadda yadda", find another buyer, thats a warning sign. I have test test ridden every bike I have bought, but I asked expecting a no, I qualify myself as a rider, leave ID, and never take it more than a block. Always be wary of someone who won't respect your rules, becuase chances are they won't respect your bike.

TFOGGuys
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
harvested from another thread:

Bill of sale (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12138&d=1240876080)

Includes provisions for payment in full with a 30 minute right of return (provided the bike is in the same condition), and a release of liability.