PDA

View Full Version : Whew. Finished

dm_gsxr
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?DSCN1139.JPG

I spent the past three weeks or so building this. Finished it up Saturday. I wanted to have it done before I leave on my trip on Saturday. It was significantly easier to find all my bike gear.

I took a lot of pictures. Feel free to check out the progress from start to finish.

http://www.schelin.org/20090720/gallery.php

Carl

Zach929rr
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Looks good! :up:

I've been thinking of doing some carpentry for my garage sooner or later. Love dabbling in stuff here and there, and some woodwork has been on the list.

Sean
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Looks good :up: And that's a lot of f'ing pics!

Is it designed specificly for certain things? in certain drawers/areas?

dm_gsxr
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty pleased with it. I've been hacking stuff together for years. The best things I've built from hacks are:

http://shadowrun.us/20090705/dscn1061x800.jpg

The computer desk in the background. It works pretty well and supports the gigantic monitor without a whimper. And the gaming table in the foreground. I originally was just dinking around with gluing a bunch of boards together to see how it worked. When we moved, the wobbly top was straightened out. Then I converted the base from a 'X' to a square which stabilized the whole thing. I painted then covered the top with felt. It works great as a nice big table to play games on.

So this project was the first time I'd grabbed a plan from a woodworking book and followed it. It certainly reduced frustration to a very minimal level. Even when I made the inevitable mistakes, I simply bought another sheet of MDF (made 2 mistakes there) and did it over.

I learned a lot. Both about some woodworking techniques _and_ about my own abilities and limitations.

A good job all the way around.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Looks good :up: And that's a lot of f'ing pics!

I'm a touring rider so am used to taking a bunch of pictures :)

Is it designed specificly for certain things? in certain drawers/areas?

Rita was looking for cabinets on craigslist and freecycle but nothing was coming up as reasonably decent that didn't cost $600. Finally she checked out a couple of woodworking books from the library. I was browsing through them and found one I liked, but it was pretty specific (a sanding table). I went back a few pages and found this one. In the plans, it has a lift up router table in the left cabinet and scroll saw in the right cabinet. I just needed storage since I already have a router table (on the left of the bench).

The plans consisted of a complete materials list including a cutout diagram for the pieces of wood and an exploded view of the cabinets that even listed which screw to use where. So it was very much ready to go. I cut out all the pieces and set them aside until I was done, then used the dado to cut the rabbits. I had to do some carving with the chisel to make the shelf fit (it's not glued in but it won't be coming out any time soon). I narrowed the cabinets by 2" each, otherwise the top would fit the top of the workspace exactly (no place to clamp stuff then). Because of the hinges, I had to trim the cabinet doors by about 1/2", then the left door on each cabinet by about an eigth of an inch.

But I made only a few mistakes that didn't warrant redoing the work and one mistake that annoys me (a little crack in the laminate :( ).

To answer your question, no I didn't have a specific plan for any of the drawers. I unpacked a bunch of the boxes and put gear away. I want to get some shelf dividers for the second and third drawers so I can easily organize the little stuff.

Carl