PDA

View Full Version : VEGAS?

=Captain America=
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Has anyone ridden a sportbike to vegas? :twisted:

Are there enough gas stations on the way to refill every 130mi or so? :think:

Feathered upstart!
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM
If I am not mistaken(and I never am becuase I'm a god)this very club used to make or at least made the trip to vegas. Like five years ago :shock:

It is possible though you do have to be very careful through parts of Utah becuase the fuel is just far enough apart to be dangerous.

Anonymous
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Yes & yes.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ClubPics/page26.html

Vance
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Actually I'm planning on making that very trip as soon as I get the Aprilia with a few friends... hopefully early summer like May or June... so any input and advice about such a run would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Advice? Bring a tow strap! :lol: :| I now own one.

=Captain America=
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Yes & yes.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/ClubPics/page26.html

sweet.....any specific tips or gas stations i should know not to miss?

=Captain America=
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
what is the longest distance traveled in between stations? :cheers:

Anonymous
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
sweet.....any specific tips or gas stations i should know not to miss?

Not really, I was just tagging along. I would suggest you get in touch with Harry Biker (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=22) - he's done it a few times and came up with the route. He hasn't been on the boards since June, so if he doesn't answer a PM, let me know & I'll see if I can get in touch with him.

With the route we did (scenic on the way there, highway back), 150 miles, with a couple of others in the mid-140's.

Moving to Trips & Touring.

salsashark
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM

If you're going the direct route. There is a stretch of I-70 just before the I-15 interchange and Beaver, UT that is about 125 miles w/o service. There are plenty of signs when you approach the area.

I think that's about the longest between service stops. Once you get on I-15 and head south, there are small towns scattered the rest of the way.

Was thinking about making the same run this spring if I can manage to get some time off between jobs.

=Captain America=
Thu Mar 10th, 2005, 07:17 AM
125 miles sounds ok!

150 would would make me a little nervous.

Stuart Little
Thu Mar 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM
if it makes you nervous, go riding 75 miles up I-70 and thne 75 back, if you run out of gas 150 miles won't work, if you don't call up a buddy to follow you and have him bring a gallon of gas and ride until you feel it sputtering, but don't run out all the way :D

firefghtr
Thu Mar 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
im riden out in september w/ some buds anyone else is welcome to come

sprtbkbabe
Thu Mar 10th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I just drove back Tuesday in the Mini. I forgot to gas up in Richfield or Salina, UT, and I was real glad there were lots of downhills going east before Green River. That thing gets like 36 mpg and the bike isn't too close to that. I limped in with 10 miles to spare :o

I've ridden back and forth on the Suzuki I had from Grand Junction and that was not a problem at all. But, I'd suggest testing the 125 miles up and downhills before the road between Green River and Richfield, UT (right before I-15 interchange)

Chris
Sun Mar 13th, 2005, 11:36 PM
what sort of pace do you guys run on these long ass trips?

Anonymous
Sun Mar 13th, 2005, 11:42 PM
:wtf: The speed limit, of course!

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D I guess I'm just in a sarcastic mood. 8)

Don't really remember specific MPH, but it was as fast as I felt comfortable going. I do remember jamming on the brakes once (on the way home) when I rounded a bend and a state trooper was there (luckily with someone already pulled over).

blakebird
Mon Mar 14th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I lived in Las Vegas for a number of years before moving here....I've made that ride enough times to have it pretty well commited to memory.
The two long stretches are from Grand Junction to Green River (though there is gas at the Thompson offramp now - used to not be reliably open)
From Green River to Salina is the longer reach, at about 110 miles.

If I have the time though, I turn off I-70 and take 24 to Hanksville, then thru Capital Reef to Torrey and down UT12. Very much worth the extra time if you've got it.