PDA

View Full Version : Jetting for altitude?

felixduc
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
hey guys,

94 Ducati m900 here... a carby.

it's running super rich. i've been through two sets of plugs in the past week, and just fouled up another set after a 50 mile ride in the canyons around Boulder.

it has a stage 2 jet, but it was previously in Phoenix.

how are you guys acclimated?

I think I'm going to need to have someone get my jets up to par.

It'd be annoying if this is something I keep having to do. For example, gonna be touring down in AZ for spring break.

Is there just a catch-all jet that works everywhere?

Bueller
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM
No single jetting is capable of giving top performance at 10,000' and sea level. You are bettter off staying a little rich at high altitude than to run too lean at sea level. Too lean can over heat the engine and eventually cause damage.

felixduc
Wed Mar 9th, 2005, 07:43 PM
well, I'm not sure what my next move should be.

i'm a college student, so money's pretty limited. new to bikes as well, so any sort of DIY job isn't possible, judging by the few guides I've seen to rejetting a carb.

i guess i'm going to need to take it to a shop somewhere.

what am i looking at here?

sigh. :(

rybo
Thu Mar 10th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Felix,

Check out TK motorsports in Denver they have a dyno and can help you out for reasonable money.

The above post is true, getting it running great in both places is going to be difficult at best. 4 cycle engines are pretty tolerant of non-optimal jetting if you aren't looking for maximum performance. It looks like you'll need to lean it out some for up here and live with it being not quite right in both places.

As another suggestion, trade the monster for a fuel injected bike, they pretty much make the needed adjustments automatically. Later monsters are fuel injected if you really like that bike.

S