PDA

View Full Version : Critters and Wiring

FZRguy
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Spent some time at high altitude over the weekend. We went to leave on Monday and a critter decided to munch on my Jeep’s wiring harness. Got the tail lights (no biggie) and the fuel pump (biggie). We were up an “Extreme 4WD” road, so spent about an hour splicing it all back together. What’s up with critters and wiring? Any tips to make wiring less appetizing to them?

Zach929rr
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I have seen squirrels and etc. chew through some pretty tough stuff. Sprinkling (rubbing) cayenne pepper on the harnesses and engine will keep them out. I've heard of a product called Rataway working too.

asp_125
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Critters seem to like something in the wiring. Years ago I had an old Audi and one night it was running rough and when I opened the hood I saw sparks arcing across the plug wires. Turns out there were tiny teeth marks on all of em.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I have seen squirrels and etc. chew through some pretty tough stuff. Sprinkling (rubbing) cayenne pepper on the harnesses and engine will keep them out. I've heard of a product called Rataway working too.I tried all that stuff for squirrels, cayenne, Rataway, etc. They did nothing. I think they were using the cayenne as flaver on the wires in my attic.

A veterinarian told my buddie to put cayenne or hot sauce on his wooden fence to keep the dog from chewing on it. When my buddie peppered the fence, the dog went to town and ate the thing to the point it had to be replaced. I guess animals like it hot, too!!

asp_125
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Wiring, it haz a flavr.

I've heard about using moth balls, but just try to catch the little suckers let alone castrate them.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Wiring, it haz a flavr.

I've heard about using moth balls, but just try to catch the little suckers let alone castrate them.If you have one moth ball in your left hand and another in your right. What do you have?

A very large moth!!

I tried moth balls in the attic as well. All it did was stink like hell when the temperature rose. The squirrels eventually removed all the moth balls. I found them all over my yard when I mowed.