PDA

View Full Version : Strangest thing you hit?

Scer
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
No, I am not talking about after the bar was let out. I mean while riding the bike.

A few days back I was on a quiet jaunt through some country roads. Going about 90 mph and a group of birds flew up from the side of the road. I managed to avoid the first 4 birds but then for some reason the 5th one decided to play a game of chicken with me. It Headed straight for me. I hit the bird on the right side of my chest. Felt like someone threw a baseball at me. Not much happened though, just a small bruise for a while.

So...What's the worst thing you hit or almost hit??

hit on hittas

Tipys
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The ground

longrider
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
How about what I am assuming was a rock but whatever it was it was solid as hell. I was heading home down Arapahoe in traffic and out from under the car in front of me was what looked like a brown paper bag. I doubt I could have avoided it if I tried but as it looked like a paper bag I didnt worry about it. When I hit it it launched me into the air and when I pulled over later I saw it had dented both rims, the front to the point I had to replace it but the rear was very minor but noticeable.

A close second was a suicidal deer, I was sure I was going down but fortunately it was a fawn and was small enough that it bounced off the front wheel just breaking the fender. When I le off the brakes i discovered teh rear wheel was in the air.

pannetron
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Once while riding at night, a bat and I flew into each other.

Kristen87
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
A small piece of FREAKING DRYWALL, Yah a drywall from the back of a pickup truck. Hit me straight on my helmet.

willb003
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Orange road barrel that a semi hit and then exploded right in front of me, sent shrapnel all over me.

Repsol a095
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know if this is the strangest, but it was the most painful: a swarm of wasps!!! One stung me on the neck and then fell into the collar of my jacket. It proceeded to sting me all the way down my shoulder and arm until I pulled over and ripped it out of my jacket. It's butt was still hanging in my arm pulsing. It was great!!!! Good times!!!

Think
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
My rear tire blew out on 25 with sag aka Scott riding behind me and a piece of my tire hit him in the shield of his helmet.

KoryBricker
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I was in the left lane and just as I was coming up past a car in the right lane, the car hit the remains of a dead skunk and kicked up some chunks which hit me in the chest and arm. Nasty as hell but luckily it must have been old enough that it didn't leave any kind of smell or anything.

BigE
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Let's see...I've been hit by a football from some kids playing in the park, good ol' bee/wasp a couple of times, once got a branch stuck through my shirt dirt biking (that was a bit interesting as I look down and see a stick jutting out of my gut) but the all time greatest (in a sick sorta way) weird thing I hit was a dead rat/racoon which "splooshed" onto my pipes and wafted a nice cooking roadkill smell into the confines of my helmet.:puke:

whitebrad
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 01:18 AM
i almost hit a dog...

that sounds so banal, but the way it happened was ffffking INSANE!

you would think that some mutt wandered its way into the street, but that is not it...

so this truck had a camper shell on it and two VERY large dogs in the bed of the truck. it was going northbound on colorado at colfax, and at the light at colfax, in the far left-hand lane, the truck starts to take off and the dog fffffffffkin flips out and starts having what looks like a conniption... it then kicks the back of the topper up and tries leaping to freedom out the back hatch that closes to the tailgate...

so the tailgate flies open and the dog is half in and half out of this moving truck with his body flailing back and forth, looking like he is balancing on a razor blade...

somewhat shocking...

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM
In my car - A Cristmas tree

On my bike - 1. Another bike 2. A 10lb chunk of smoken hot tread off the semi in front of me.

Near miss on my bike - The entire hood off of a semi.

peteremsley
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
A Dartmoor Pony.

Devaclis
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Dat ass?

McVaaahhh
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM
A big rig tie down. Basically a 20# piece of metal that came bouncing down the road and hit my front wheel.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
heading east on I-76 to I-270 a refridgerator box flies out the back of a truck. luckily it landed flat just as i ran it over.

Another time i was heading south from I-76 to I-25 under the bridge, and there was a full on red brick...the car in front of me cleared it and i heit it dead on...fortunatly just ran/bounced over it, it didn't even dent my rim.

Devaclis
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
^^ I had one of those hit my in the face on my icon helmet. Would have torn my face off if I was not wearing a lid.

dallas
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:37 AM
In Phoenix, I rode through a swarm of bees. It was like someone threw a handfull of gravel at me. I got to work and had a couple dead bees on my jacket and for the rest of the day it felt like bees were crawling on me.

Here in the Springs I was hauling ass down a back road at night and a rabbit bounced off my foot. If the timing would have been a little sooner or a little later, it would have hit one of my tires and that could have ended badly for me.

whitebrad
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
in chicago we used to knock rearview mirrors off when cars would drive like shit... kevlar gloves and etc, and ride by and hit the corner of the mirror, like the jaw, and that fucker was usually hangin by wires after that...

also in chicago at the taste downtown i was braking hard when the traffic cop stopped me and was on a loose manhole cover and it felt like i was gonna fall in... knowing that it is impossible didnt help, because the forks were compressed like a motherfucker and the metal was hot and slick... i almost felt the front end go out, but it held... that cop looked like he wanted to shot me (with a shotty)... if i woulda spilled though, he would've been rich suin the shit out of me

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM
a jeep last saturday

on my bicycle... a 5 ft long snake!! Crashed when it went thru my spokes and boy was he pissed!!!

RajunCajun
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM
a jeep last saturday

on my bicycle... a 5 ft long snake!! Crashed when it went thru my spokes and boy was he pissed!!!

A jeep??? U ok??

I ran through a swarm of bees, my bike and gear were covered in honey, I guess, and super sticky, felt like I was being sand blasted. I had full gear on, as always, so no bruising and didn't get stung....

eg bter
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Almost hit an armadillo in Louisiana once...that wouldn't have ended well

RajunCajun
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Almost hit an armadillo in Louisiana once...that wouldn't have ended well

Yeah, they're usually pretty solid.

Mel
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Strangest: A seagull at 90 on 25 a couple years back. There were feathers everywhere....knocked the wind outta me pretty good because it impacted my neck/chest full force.

Worst: Side of a mountain on Squaw pass

ghostrider_9
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I think the funniest/nastiest one the I have witnessed was in South Carolina. A buddy of mine barely nipped a suicide squirrel (You know the ones that run out in the middle of the street and stop). Apparently there was enough hittage/traction to throw the, now pissed off and bloody squirrel, up into another buddy who was riding right behind him. I was third in the line and witnessed the second rider taking both hands off the bars trying get this very upset and bloody squirrel off of his new leather jacket. It took a few seconds and he managed to bat the offending rodent off of him before any real damage was done. It was like something out of a National Lampoon vacation movie.

Motodrew
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
When I lived back in Omaha a few years back I was riding at night & pulled up to a stop light. Patiently waiting for the light I got nailed with a water balloon. I saw the kids run off behind the fence. I rode my bike up into the driveway revving it like hell. Jumped off my bike to watch them hop the fence into another yard.

Then their mother was waken by my bike & came storming out the back door. She started bitching and asking me WTF i was doing. I waited for her to finish then told her what had happened. Her point of view drastically changed & started apologizing. She knew it was her kid & his friends that were staying the night cause they had bought some balloons for the next day evidently. She promised that she would give him an ass whoopin when she found him. haha.

I've also hit a whitetail deer on 96 CBR900RR. Not sure how I pulled out of the massive tank slap that followed. I had swerved to miss another & hit one coming out of the ditch. I think it was the fact that I turned into the deer & had a good lean that when it hit, i just stood the bike up more or less. Had to tie my headlights up with my hooded sweatshirt string to get home.

Also had a turkey come through the window of my Jeep Wrangler one time & land in the passenger seat. Probably would of killed me if it had came on the drivers side.

DevilsTonic
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM
A 6ft cardboard go fast sign was blown up by a truck in front of me on Colorado Blvd last year and it hit me straight on. Was stuck to the front of the bike for a sec and scared the hell outta me.

bodhizafa
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Almost got hit by a bouncing truck tire coming the opposite way down the highway. It just came off a truck at about 65mph or so. Would have hurt.

Worst hit so far was a bug in the eye, flipped up the visor for a second and bam.....tiny little fly hurt pretty bad.......

Nick_Ninja
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
A prairie dog at 100 mph in North Park. Vaporised it.

Mental
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
My dumbass is riding with a crew from the board on a 2 day ride. Its colder than it was supposed to be and our extremeities are starting to feel it. I see what appears to be a reasonably sized rock in the middle of the lane on a curve. Wanting to help my fellow riders I went to kick the rock out of the way, underestimating both my speed and the size of the rock. My Sidi hits this damm boulder and it explodes. If I had not been wearing hard boots I am certian my toes would have shattered. I am still pretty sure I had a hairline fracture, as I limped for 2 weeks, and 2 years later, every time its really cold, my big toe will pop if i bend it a certain way and hurt like hell for a few minutes.

Horsman
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Old Lady with a cane!!! Veronica the Impaler!!!
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ha2z-ksk5h8CbM:http://sentinel.phpwebhosting.com/old%20lady.jpg (http://sentinel.phpwebhosting.com/old%20lady.jpg)

kawasakirob
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
tail of a cow

Matt
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I hit a bird on the back straight at HPR on Monday (no idea what kind, it was white and brown). Several flew up when we went by, one hit me in the shoulder. Kinda freaky, birds usually fly away.

I've also hit a snake on the track in Pueblo.

Never ran into anything on the street.

Gainer
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Bird to the chest @ 75mph. The holes on my perforated leather jacket were plugged up with bird guts and there was bird shit all over my tank.

Bird to the front fender on my old GSXR @ 90mph. Shattered it!!!!

A rabbit...bump....bump...

Narrowly avoided a satellite dish in the middle of the lane on SB I-25 @ Alameda.

A car that took a left hand turn through the intersection I was already in. Hit the side @ 45mph....fun...fun...

sag
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
i wanna say it was a giant grasshopper. i was prob going 60 or so on county road and something came flying at me and smashed into my left shoulder. i was bruised for awhile and my jacket had the most disgusting mess of guts on it ive ever seen. i was gagging when i cleaned it.

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Almost got hit by a bouncing truck tire coming the opposite way down the highway. It just came off a truck at about 65mph or so. Would have hurt.

Worst hit so far was a bug in the eye, flipped up the visor for a second and bam.....tiny little fly hurt pretty bad.......
I once got a small wasp in my eye............ and he stung me..........while I was passing a car! Somehow I got stopped, pulled the little bastard out of my eye and squished him. My eye swole shut in about 10 seconds.

Another time I was riding down the freeway at about 70mph when the car next to me lost a front wheel.

Filo
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Richard Simmons

And unlike Dana, I *am* funny (see other thread)

IT WASN'T ME!
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Richard Simmons

And unlike Dana, I *am* funny (see other thread)

Funny ha ha, or funny :slappers:?

buzzardman36
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm a noob, (second yr rider) but so far all I have is this; I was on a group ride about a month ago. I came around a corner at a decent speed and ran into a tree branch with green slippery leaves attached. My front tire hit it and slipped over a bit, giving me the feeling of a possible low side. Don't tell anyone, but I might have pee'd a little bit.:oops:

Stank Juic3
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Your mom

Mac020
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
A 1977 AMC Gremlin. I was on my old Bonneville. Hooked the bumper and pulled it off the car! Did a Superman on Colorado Ave. Guy tried to do a U turn from the right lane. Hit him doing about 40. Ended up with a broken foot and some road rash.

A two foot long x 10 inch wide x 10 inch deep pot hole on the Duc. I Popped the back tire, blew out/cracked both rims, one of the front shock tubes, and bent the gas tank mounts. I somehow managed to get up on the pegs and landed safely, but that was a hard hit! I walked away totally unscathed. I was going about 35 in traffic. I called the city to report the accident and point out the pot hole. Of course they claimed no responsibility and blew me off. The next day I went to the scene to take some pictures and guess what????? They patched the hole!!!. Felt like I was left holding the bag!

Oh.... And your Grandmother!

puckstr
Fri Aug 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
The ground while trying to ride Dana's "widow maker" Ruckus

Stuart Little
Fri Aug 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Strangest: A seagull at 90 on 25 a couple years back. There were feathers everywhere....knocked the wind outta me pretty good because it impacted my neck/chest full force.

Worst: Side of a mountain on Squaw pass

Better the mtn. than the drop off on the north side :)

Worst thing i've hit to date... 6ft coffee table

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Aug 7th, 2009, 09:51 AM
This REALLY ugly girl one time I was drunk at a bar in......er, nevermind.....

Once the X1 and I were driving next to a semi and slightly behind the cab, when the jerk driver, I swear, swerved to hit a roadkill deer right in front of us. All the guts squirted out right in front of me and got all over the front corner of the car when I ran them over. What a prick, I know he knew what would happen.

On the bike, in '85 coming back from my trip to CO I hit a HUGE locust in Utah. I was not wearing a shirt and it was so big, it left a huge welt.....but didn't splatter. I hope I hurt it as bad as it hurt me.....