PDA

View Full Version : debate:

whitebrad
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 04:28 AM
there are many debates on this forum: democrat v. republican
gun owning redneck v. pacifist hippie
squid v. rider...

but none more important than cake v. pie... we had this debate a little before, and the thread mysteriously disappeared...

i like cake. i am not sure of all of the implications, but pie is really inferior... i find pie to be a sad attempt at bettering something so perfect... especially when you consider the origins of it, those slimy limejuicers cramming left over body parts into some dough... ugh...

cake, though, is pure, and not something historically disgusting changed to make it edible...

GAME ON!

Keepitgreen
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Depends on what cake and what pie..
I like chocolate cake.
I like coconut cream pie, pecan pie, french chocolate silk pie, and a good 'ol oatmeal pie!

I hate sweets though.. but when I binge, I hit hard like a crack whore that found a 20 dolla bill!

Pandora-11
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
That's tough.....apple pie or carrot cake.....hummmmm

Carrot cake ftw

Matty
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Brad, you really don't get out much, do you?

lol.

Ricky
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
OK, I've got a bit to say about this, lol. Back in the day (15 years ago) my parents ran pie restaurants down in the springs. So we've always been a pie family. The trick is understanding all that goes into making a pie. We used to make all of our pies fresh. There's a lot of work that goes into creating the perfect crust, then making pies. But not just that, the filling too. The right fruits can make a big difference. As well as how they are baked.

Cake on the other hand. Man, I can't stand fake ass sugary frosting. Stuff makes me sick, except in small amounts. But, I love cake. Chocolate cake. I just don't think that as much effort goes into creating a cake, compared to a pie, unless it's decoration.

Therefore, Pie.

But, if you throw ice cream cake into the mix, well... that changes everything.

mtnairlover
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Ice cream cake? Mmmm...

Some cakes take a little more TLC than others. Store bought? Bleck. Homemade...mmmm. I once made a carrot cake with 3 layers and cream cheese frosting. It looked to die for sitting in the fridge waiting for us to dig deep. We had it for thanksgiving one year. So we had some company come over and one of our guests was getting in the fridge, digging out the cake and next thing I hear is...Oh, shit!...sorry. He dumped the cake upside down onto the floor. :-(

Haven't made one of those since then. But, I could tell, just in the time that it took me to prepare it...that it was moist and tasty.

Pumpkin silk pie is my latest fave...only available at Thanksgiving, though.

Pandora-11
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
A pie is all about the crust.

A really good carrot cake has about 6 eggs in it and lots of oil. Sounds awful, but yummmmm. My mom made one to die for.

mtnairlover
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah....lotsa oil and eggs in that cake...hence the rare occasion for making one. =D

Keepitgreen
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
OK, I've got a bit to say about this, lol. Back in the day (15 years ago) my parents ran pie restaurants down in the springs. So we've always been a pie family. The trick is understanding all that goes into making a pie. We used to make all of our pies fresh. There's a lot of work that goes into creating the perfect crust, then making pies. But not just that, the filling too. The right fruits can make a big difference. As well as how they are baked.

So if you are in a pie family, what goes in a magpie?

Keepitgreen
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Ice cream cake? Mmmm...

Haven't made one of those since then. But, I could tell, just in the time that it took me to prepare it...that it was moist and tasty.

So get your ass to baking there sister!!!

mtnairlover
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
So get your ass to baking there sister!!!

lol...funny you should say "ass"...yeah, seems my ass likes to get bigger with just the thought of one of those heavily ladden fat cakes...mmmm...damn, fricken drool. Now look what you gone and did...:drool:

Keepitgreen
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Come on.. don't talk that way..
Just bake the damn thing already!

I'll pick it up before I go to church.. lol

Nerves
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I once made a carrot cake with 3 layers and cream cheese frosting. It looked to die for sitting in the fridge waiting for us to dig deep. We had it for thanksgiving one year. So we had some company come over and one of our guests was getting in the fridge, digging out the cake and next thing I hear is...Oh, shit!...sorry. He dumped the cake upside down onto the floor. :-(

Wait, what?!? Your telling me that you did not all go down on your hands and knees with forks and eat everything but the small amount of frosting that made contact with the floor? FOR SHAME!! I have lost all respect for you Cathy. Your mother and I are very disappointed in you. :cry:

XJ600s
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Carrot cake or red velvet cake! No matter how bad you make either, they still take the cake over pie anyday!

Granted, I love a good French Silk from Tippin's or my Mom's homemade Dixie Pie (think pecan pie with chocolate).

Then again, I won't pass up cake OR pie any chance I get!

So new debate: where's the best place in town to get either cake or pie?!

mtnairlover
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Wait, what?!? Your telling me that you did not all go down on your hands and knees with forks and eat everything but the small amount of frosting that made contact with the floor? FOR SHAME!! I have lost all respect for you Cathy. Your mother and I are very disappointed in you. :cry:

:lol::oops:

Keepitgreen
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Carrot cake or red velvet cake! No matter how bad you make either, they still take the cake over pie anyday!

Granted, I love a good French Silk from Tippin's or my Mom's homemade Dixie Pie (think pecan pie with chocolate).

Then again, I won't pass up cake OR pie any chance I get!

So new debate: where's the best place in town to get either cake or pie?!

Hell, you said it!
Tippin's for the Silk
and ask your mom to bake something up right quick..

vort3xr6
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Pie is for chicks. And chicks are for fags.

Cake ftmfw.

Mac020
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I was offered Pine ice cream once. Thought sounded kinda gross, but to be nice I thought I'd try it. Not bad. The pie was good. n the ice cream....

Chocolate cake is my favorite! Suggary frostings are the worst, and it's hard to beat a good pie crust.

Keepitgreen
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 01:42 PM
it's hard to beat a good pie crust.

Pie crust is one thing, but crust on a "pie" is another!
Kinda like cherry cobbler I guess..:shocked:

Nerves
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
^^ So there is an interesting thought. What family does the cobbler fit in? I would have to guess the pie family because of the fruit. Cobbler is like pie's fruity dude cousin that always makes eyes at him at the family get together.

And what about turnovers? And upside down cake? I think this debate is debunk because so many deserts are getting there feelings hurt by not even being included.

Zach929rr
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM
No no no. A turnover is merely a well contained pie. Cobbler is indeed the fruity cousin of pie, albeit he does have a nice combover.

Also, I thought we previously established that pie is superior due to cake's current status as a lie.

http://hurtlingthroughspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/the_cake_is_a_lie_by_avaras.jpg

Nerves
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Oh well ya. That goes without saying. Don't forget about "bring you daughter to work day" so you can have her tested to.

I should post a pic of the back window of my car. A plush companion cube, a plush head crab and a pair of companion cube fuzzy dice.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh274/nerves82/iPhone%20Photos/kt007.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
KEY-LIME PIE FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!

http://thegreencuttingboard.blogspot.com/Key-lime-pie.jpg

(....and a Cuba Libre made with Sailor Jerry's)

zetaetatheta
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Had this pie at the "Pie Shop" north of Duluth, MN about 2 wks ago. Blueberry and sour cherry pie. Very good, expensive but very good. I prefer tart berry pies.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/manitoumike/DSCF0091.jpg

Nerves
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Wow, that must have been good because I have never had the inkling to take a photo of a pie before. Maybe the right one just has not come along yet. I hope I know when it happens to me. You're so lucky to have found yours.

You know what pie sux tho? Strawberry Rhubarb pie. Its so damn sour, I might as well just take a big ol' bite out of a lime. It would be cheaper.

Zach929rr
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
You're so lucky to have found yours.

:lol:

Pie: A Love Story

Nerves
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 08:38 PM
This doesn't belong here, but it is so damn funny. I would kill for a companion cube mobile for my daughter.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/071114.jpg

Captain Obvious
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You know what pie sux tho? Strawberry Rhubarb pie. Its so damn sour, I might as well just take a big ol' bite out of a lime. It would be cheaper.

I've found rhubarb anything sucks.

I like both, so it depends on my mood.