PDA

View Full Version : Race Paint

Lomax
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I am setting up a spare fiberglass body for my 998 and being the El Cheapo that I am, I am not going to pay for a nice and fancy paint job. I am just going to rattle can it or just leave it as it comes. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rattle can paint that will hold up better than the others? Krylon would be my choice but I am open to suggestions. Has anyone ever tried Dupli-Color? Does anyone want to paint if for me for free? :D Just kidding!

Ride Safe.
Marc

rybo
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Marc,

I have some bits that were damaged in a parking lot drop off of my 748 if you want them, I'll sell them cheap. Prepainted from the factory, I have a upper, left side and a tailsection. You would need a right side and seats, but these should be easy to find on EBay

Let me know

Scott

Lomax
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Removed and PM'd

rybo
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Marc,

All fo the damage is superficial, paint, but the bike was only a few weeks old when someone hit it while it was parked in a parking lot. The hit was from behind and it pushed it off of it's side stand. I wanted it to look pretty, so it ended up costing about 1500 to get all the new bits. I figure if I got a 200 out of the older parts it would be worth not storing them, especially if I knew they were going to get used. It is, after all, pretty red itallian paint.....

S

The GECCO
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 01:28 PM
If you want something durable find an auto paint supply store. You can pick exactly the color you want in laquer (99.5% of rattle can stuff is enamel) and they can load it into spray cans for you. It's more than regular paint, but worth it. Use a VERY good primer and then clear laquer over it and it will be pretty tough.

Lomax
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 01:44 PM
HMMM? Lacquer. I did not even think of that. We used to paint a lot of cars with lacquer back in the good old days. The only problem was that it was very brittle and cracked easy. I assume is has been improved over the years. I usually use Acrylic Enamel for good paint jobs but will keep this in mind. All these good suggestions. Are you guys trying to make me do a decent paint job on this? :lol:

Thanks.

swademaster
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Krylon has some paint that is made for plastic. Used it for my front fairings after I got run over a last year. It seems to hold up decent.

The GECCO
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 05:32 PM
If you want it to be bullet proof you can ask for "Imron" paint, super tough stuff, it's the type they use on Caterpillar equipment!

Lukegray
Fri Mar 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Definately put Laquor over whatever you do. The pain that comes in rattle cans has flex agents in it is what ive heard. I put clear laquor over my paint job and it looks great so far.

JT_42
Wed Mar 16th, 2005, 02:44 PM
If you still need somebody to paint or help you paint your panels....
Drop me a email....
James
jt_42@yahoo.com

I have some pictures if you want to see them.