PDA

View Full Version : Night Riding

mtnairlover
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 10:43 PM
...in the canyons...:shocked:

Don't do it if you don't like not knowing where you're going.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/niteride_estes.jpg
(Can't see that rock wall on the left side of the road, can you?)

Actually, I've been up and down hwy's 36 and 34 so many times, I could do it in my sleep...but...WARNING...it's so different from driving in a car in the canyons at night when you're on your motorcycle.

So, here's the thing...in a car, you have two headlights whose beams will light up the whole canyon wall on both sides as you twist and turn your way through them. But, because you are on 4 wheels, the lights on the canyon walls, never falter all the way through.

On a bike...on 2 wheels, that light beam isn't steady at all. Each turn you take, no matter how much you try not to lean (can't believe I just said that), the beam still moves. I mean, it doesn't stay steady all the way through a turn. So, as you are in a left turn, that beam tilts and continues pointing straight ahead, but does not shine in the direction you are going. In front of you is complete and utter black. If it weren't for the lines in the road, you'd be mushmeat off into a ditch, or into a river, or a rock wall.

Night riding most definitely makes you concentrate a whole lot more...and slow down.

Tipys
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Yes it does I have run ute pass a few time in the dark. And in those few times on a road I know like the back of my hand have I gone throw more oh shit moments then any other time and they happen faster too.

asp_125
Sat Aug 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Although on a warm summer night in a clear sky with a full moon, night riding is sublime.

FZRguy
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I've made a pass thru the lower part of Deer Creek and Chatfield at midnight a few times....eerie and surreal. There's this one spot in Chatfield Park that I like to stop for a few....it's at the end of the secret road.

BigE
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 12:22 AM
For more fun ride at night...in the rain...with a tinted shield! Yeah buddy! :crazy:

Had to do that one night when I was working nights in Boulder. Went in when it was light and usually home when it was light but got called home once in the middle when I didn't have my clear shield. Probably my slowest commute outside of driving home in blizzards a few times.

As for the canyons at night, LOOOOOOVE IT!

mtnairlover
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I kept trying to get away from the cagers...even though their lights lit up the rock walls. But, I wanted to be alone. Didn't exactly work that way. Next time there's a full moon, I'm gonna have to find a less-traveled canyon for that sublime feeling ;-)

Bueller
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM
ride a dirt bike on the trails @ night if you want a real thrill! :lol:

Sully
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Riding the canyons at night is exciting and scary at the same time... It's like riding a totally different road at night :bigeyes:

chad23
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
i have not done this. I have thought of it, but just have not committed to doing so. It does sound fun, excited, scary and all that stuff. I guess i will just have to venture out one evening and do it.

never mind I have tried it once, coming down pinewood. It was not quit a night ride as it was just pass sunset. It was not all that fun just cause of how tight that road is.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Ironbutt rides that start at midnight are quite eyeopening :D

FZRguy
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ironbutt rides that start at midnight are quite eyeopening :D

Didn't you and some others ride Trail Ridge one night?

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Didn't you and some others ride Trail Ridge one night?

To the top and back down on full moon :up:

I've ridden over and back a few times at night too in summer and fall.

FZRguy
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
The next full moon is over the Labor Day holiday. CSC full moon ride?

BigE
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM

:up: I can pull the "it's my birthday and I wanna ride" card.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 01:54 PM

I'm all sorts of about that :siesta:

mtnairlover
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hmmm...full moon ride up Trail Ridge? I wonder how if there's a curfew on that road at night?

Planning on moving that weekend, but a night ride won't hamper the moving activities at all.

asp_125
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Full moon.. not just one cheek? There may have to be an interesting photo or two from up there. ;)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hmmm...full moon ride up Trail Ridge? I wonder how if there's a curfew on that road at night?

Planning on moving that weekend, but a night ride won't hamper the moving activities at all.

It's a US highway (34). They cannot close it except for inclement weather or seasonal closure.

OUTLAWD
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
For more fun ride at night...in the rain...with a tinted shield! Yeah buddy! :crazy:

Had to do that one night when I was working nights in Boulder. Went in when it was light and usually home when it was light but got called home once in the middle when I didn't have my clear shield. Probably my slowest commute outside of driving home in blizzards a few times.

As for the canyons at night, LOOOOOOVE IT!

Same thing here man...

Coming home from boulder at ~ midnight, I decided to take the 'scenic' route, not thinking that it was pitch black and I wouldn't be able to see a damn thing. As I hit Estes, it started to rain/snow. Let me say that is the most focused hour or so of my life. I am a fairly conservative rider to begin with, but I did manage to keep a reasonable pace and had a smoother ride than anytime I had ridden that road during the daylight hours. It was actually a very enjoyable ride.

I'm game for a moonlight ride...altho I would be breaking my vow to never hit trail ridge on two wheels ever again

sag
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM
im usually afraid of getting gobbled by sasquatch at night in the canyons. ive done a few and the more riders the better and the more illegal hids glaring all over the place the better.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I like to ride with my lights off on top of Trail Ridge on full moon nights :twisted:

Pandora-11
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
geeezz......I'm still working on riding while it's light....without tipping over.:slappers:My knee is going through its fourth color change.

mtnairlover
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I like to ride with my lights off on top of Trail Ridge on full moon nights :twisted:

Now that just about seals the deal for me.

And no, Jeff (asp_125), it can't be a half-moon, it's gotta be full to do it right.:D

Sortarican
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I customized my headlights for night canyon riding.
Just remove all the fasteners from the headlights and let them hang off the fairing.
Every time you lean they flop over and light the turn.
(I'm thinking of patenting it.)

mtnairlover
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I customized my headlights for night canyon riding.
Just remove all the fasteners from the headlights and let them hang off the fairing.
Every time you lean they flop over and light the turn.
(I'm thinking of pattening it.)

lol...that's it! I was wondering if anyone was gonna come up with a patent idea.

BigE
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ok, so a no-lights coaster ride down from Trail Ridge under the full moon, hmmm?

Owwwwwoooooooooooooooooo!

FZRguy
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Maybe catch a late dinner in Estes or somewhere along the way. And sneak up there around 9 p.m. or so. Anyone know what time they quit manning the gate so we don’t have to pay?

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Maybe catch a late dinner in Estes or somewhere along the way. And sneak up there around 9 p.m. or so. Anyone know what time they quit manning the gate so we don’t have to pay?

Chances it will be quite late as it is a holiday weekend. This has to be Saturday and not Sunday for me. CSU v CU game on Sunday night. OFF MONDAY :D

FZRguy
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Gotta be Sat for me too.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Gotta be Sat for me too.

So Saturday it will be (since it's you and me that are the ones stepping up on this).

Details to follow ................... (watching the IoMTT)

mtnairlover
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
So Saturday it will be (since it's you and me that are the ones stepping up on this).

Details to follow ................... (watching the IoMTT)

Hey...don't count me out...I wanna go too!:)

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Are we talking Sat the 5th? or the 12th? Either way....I'm vuuurrrrrry interested! =)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hey...don't count me out...I wanna go too!:)
Don't worry. U R in.

KawikaO.
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM
im REALLY tempted to meet you guys up there with my board...

T-ridge is such a sick road.

FZRguy
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
That would be the 5th.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
1. FZRguy
2. mtnairlover
3. Nick_Ninja

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:39 PM
1. FZRguy
2. mtnairlover
3. Nick_Ninja
psst....add me to the list!

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
1. FZRguy
2. mtnairlover
3. Nick_Ninja
5. Medicjess

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
lmao..wow...i'm so lowly that I don't even get the next spot in line? you knock me down an entire position huh? ;)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM
lmao..wow...i'm so lowly that I don't even get the next spot in line? you knock me down an entire position huh? ;)

1. Medicjess
2. FZRguy
3. mtnairlover
4. Nick_Ninja

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
LMAO...ya fooking smartass!

(and I was referring to being 5 instead of 4 you nitwit) hehe

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:12 PM
LMAO...ya fooking smartass!

(and I was referring to being 5 instead of 4 you nitwit) hehe

And I'm referring that you lead the pack to the top on 8/5. Swap out your current bulb for a PIAA igniter. :D

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
haha...sure! if ya'll want to go at a snail's pace then! and considering that I'm having trouble keeping the lights that i DO have functioning right now...

mtnairlover
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
And I'm referring that you lead the pack to the top on 8/5. Swap out your current bulb for a PIAA igniter. :D

Ummmm....? Fricken time warp anyway...how'd I miss this one? Oh wait...:drink:

asp_125
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
1. Medicjess
2. FZRguy
3. mtnairlover
4. Nick_Ninja
5. asp_125

Dinner in Lyons? Estes?

FZRguy
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
9/5 and the Fizzer lights suck.

asp_125
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
oh and we have to go up old fall river road. :p :shock:

FZRguy
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
not

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Dinner anywhere ok here.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM
oh and we have to go up old fall river road. :p :shock:
I dunno what that road is...but from the faces - I feel obligated to tell you that I have no desire to die that night! lol

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
No one will die. No Tickets No Crashes.

No deer

No elk

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Amen brotha! I can't wait!

ACK! Piss!!! I was looking at the wrong damn calendar! I have a shift in the ER that night....time to wheel and deal a trade out!

FZRguy
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Someone ping Henry....he's got aircraft landing lights mounted on his 'Busa.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
5. asp_125

Dinner in Lyons? Estes?

Estes

Village Pizza
543 Big Thompson Ave. | Estes Park, CO 80517 | (970) 586 - 6031 Gourmet Pizza, Pastas, Subs, Wraps & Salad Bar.

or,,,,,,,

you decide:

http://www.estesparkcvb.com/dining.cfm

FZRguy
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Estes gets us close and we won't be in any hurry.

OUTLAWD
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I'm in...

Old Fall river road sounds fun...FWIW its a dirt road that starts near the Alluvial Fan and ends up at the Alpine Visitor Center.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm in...

Old Fall river road sounds fun...FWIW its a dirt road that starts near the Alluvial Fan and ends up at the Alpine Visitor Center.

I'll stay on the paved road and hook up witz u @ the VC.

JonnyD
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
im usually afraid of getting gobbled by sasquatch at night in the canyons. ive done a few and the more riders the better and the more illegal hids glaring all over the place the better.

Relax, I'll let my fellow mountain bretheren know to lay off for this ride.

asp_125
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I'm in...

Only kidding, I'm not doing Old Fall River Rd in the dark. :shock:

{edit - until I get aux lights on the beemah ;) }

dirkterrell
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I wonder if Susan would do better on Trail Ridge at night? :D

Assuming no schedule conflicts come up, I'd like to join you guys.

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM
1. Medicjess
2. FZRguy
3. mtnairlover
4. Nick_Ninja
5. asp_125
6. OUTLAWD
7. dirkterrell
8. CBRSue --- (dooeet!)

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
bump

FZRguy
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
So is the plan to hit Estes around dusk, have a leisurely dinner and then head up?

CeMeN
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
DAMN!!! I always have to work when there's something fun as hell to do, wish I could join you all! just an FYI I'm pretty sure they stop manning the gate at 6, I work for grand county so I'll see if I can find out for certain...

KawikaO.
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
my friend lives in estes and he says they're gone by dark. i think i might join you guys on this. t ridge is such a nice road.

oh, and ed's cantina has pretty good food. just a suggestion.

Bueller
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
time and date are hidden within, please reiterate

FZRguy
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Next full moon, Saturday, Sept 5.

mtnairlover
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
I am sooooo looking forward to this. Oh and Ed's Cantina has some yummy food...I second that.:)

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'll third ol' Ed's.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM
So have we decided on an official meet up time and location?

PS....Anybody want to work a princess shift in the ER for me so I can actually make this????? lol

JonnyD
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I'm in for this!

asp_125
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Who wants to meet up in Lyons and run up 7 to Estes the day of? Cathy??? :D

Sean
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm a def maybe.
Sounds fun, just depends on my busy social life. :lol:

Nick_Ninja
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm in for CO 7

Say we meet in Lyons @ the Diamond Shamrock @ 6:30 and leave @ 7:00?

mtnairlover
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM

LOL...you read my mind. You bet. Just send me the meetin time and I'll be there.

Oh, maybe I should read the other Jeff's post...huh? lol

Matty
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM
If this wasn't being done during Labor Day weekend. I'd be joining ya.

CeMeN
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
[quote== Buckeye Jess =;498771]So have we decided on an official meet up time and location?

PS....Anybody want to work a princess shift in the ER for me so I can actually make this??

I'm in the same boat... :cry: 48 hour shift for Grand County EMS, any takers???

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue Aug 25th, 2009, 07:43 AM
[quote== Buckeye Jess =;498771]So have we decided on an official meet up time and location?

PS....Anybody want to work a princess shift in the ER for me so I can actually make this??

I'm in the same boat... :cry: 48 hour shift for Grand County EMS, any takers???

Oh really? How long have ya been there? Incoming PM!

ChrisCBX
Thu Aug 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM

I hadn't seen this thread until now.:oops:

My wife and I were wanting to do a ride like this. If would be even more fun with a bunch of CSC'ers.

Meeting in Lyons would be cool.:)

PoisonRVT
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM

I'm getting turned on...:hump:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm getting turned on...:hump:

You're not going. Stay home.

PoisonRVT
Thu Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
You're not going. Stay home.

Guess you represent the cool commitee, wasn't even talking about going, refer to my quote you douche.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:03 AM
That ride RAWKED. Hope all made it home to their respective caves. Trail Ridge at night in full moon :up:

dirkterrell
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM
That was a great ride. :up: It was cool watching a snaking line of tail lights through the corners on the way back down.

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I swept on the way up. Way cool!

asp_125
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Great ride! Pretty nice that Ed's let us take over the bar area. It was cool to see a long string of tail lights in front and headlights behind! Hope everyone made it home safe.

OUTLAWD
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:39 AM
good times, good people, good food, good weather...great night!

asp_125
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:53 AM
good times, good people, good food, good weather...great night!

Yup! The GoPro didn't work so well in pitch darkness. But I got some decent shots going up 7. Will have to edit it down and post the link.

Pandora-11
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I got home at 2:38 AM to the Springs....had to stop for coffee twice......this is way past an old person's bedtime.
Thanks for the ride and letting me take part.

OUTLAWD
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Yup! The GoPro didn't work so well in pitch darkness. But I got some decent shots going up 7. Will have to edit it down and post the link.

Agreed, all i have is Jims taillight and Terri's ass...haha
I got some footage of lower St Vrain, but i don't think its all too exciting...this little camera is going to be fun though

What do you use to edit it? Is there anything free floating around that is worth using?

Zach929rr
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Is there anything free floating around that is worth using?

Everything is free if you know where to look. I've enjoyed using Sony's Vegas before.

Bueller
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Sorry we had to bail, part way up trail ridge I NEEDED to visit the facilities real bad. I don't think I'll be having Ed's green chili again. :no:

We had a great time and got to hang with some people we hadn't talked to in a while.
Will do again :)

ChrisCBX
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM
That was a VERY fun ride. Unusual and fun.:)

I've ridden all of those roads too many times to count but its amazing how different everything looks at night.

It was overdue for me to meet a bunch of you. I'm looking forward to meeting up again.:)

OUTLAWD
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Everything is free if you know where to look. I've enjoyed using Sony's Vegas before.

haha...i just found a copy of premeir i have...now onto the install

Pandora-11
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Sorry we had to bail, part way up trail ridge I NEEDED to visit the facilities real bad. I don't think I'll be having Ed's green chili again. :no:

We had a great time and got to hang with some people we hadn't talked to in a while.
Will do again :)

TMI:)

Sean
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Great ride N_N! It was a little cold and I didn't roll in till around 1:00am, but well worth it.
No crashes + no bambi + no cops= good ride

It was cool watching a snaking line of tail lights through the corners on the way back down.That was really cool!

Agreed, all i have is Jims taillight and Terri's ass...hahaI'll buy that video, how much you want for it? :lol:

Nick_Ninja
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
It is now sinking in how cool that ride was. Sleep helped. The freight train of 20 bikes or so was nasty. We need to do that one again.:yes:

asp_125
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Agreed, all i have is Jims taillight and Terri's ass...haha
I got some footage of lower St Vrain, but i don't think its all too exciting...this little camera is going to be fun though

What do you use to edit it? Is there anything free floating around that is worth using?

My copy of WinXP came bundled with Moviemaker, it works for me.

Matty
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
We need to do that one again.:yes:
Yes please. And not the one weekend when i'm working!

64BonnieLass
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
That was one of the neatest rides I've been on. The bike lights were just the coolest thing to see going up and coming down in the silouette of the trees. Thank you so much Jeff for a great time. Much thanks to Jim for pumping me on his handlebars and to everyone else for the night. Wonderful group of people.

Here are the few I took at dinner.

Bikes in the not so bright moonlight
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/015.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/003.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/004.jpg

64BonnieLass
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/005.jpg

64BonnieLass
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/007.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/009.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/010.jpg

Couldn't help these last two. I missed my FOG's David and Jeff. :)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/013.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/014.jpg

FZRguy
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Yes, that was quite surreal. Good to see, eat and ride with the gang!

BigE
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Very cool ride! Great meeting y'all too!

Did figure out my headlights S-tink! How I ended up leading up the whole way, hmmm, I dunno:confused:

Rode sweep on the way down and getting to see the whole string of bikes was way cool.

asp_125
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Good to see old friends and put a few new faces to names. Riding those same corners in the dark is as different as well.. night and day. Coming down 7 in the dark I was glad I knew the corners as my low beam has such a sharp cutoff while leaned over, the inside apexes were unlit. Apologies to those that had to endure my high beams.

A few shots that kind of worked in the dark, we look like Tron Guy.

asp_125
Sun Sep 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Another one.

mtnairlover
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 11:05 AM
It is now sinking in how cool that ride was. Sleep helped. The freight train of 20 bikes or so was nasty. We need to do that one again.:yes:

Most definitely very cool ride indeed. And yes, gotta do it again.

I did a little rubber-necking as we wound around the mountain top to see the line of bikes going back. The best look-back was the double hairpins...looked like a snake all lit up. Very cool.

I don't have access to my home PC, or to the Interwebz at home yet...so, my pix will come later this week.

Oh and many thanks to the ride leader, BigE going up and to Nick_Ninja coming back down.

Now this is the way to ride in the dark. Many bikes with brights on and mirrors turned in definitely makes a difference when riding in the mountains...in the dark.:)

64BonnieLass
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Which one was BigE? I finally got to meet Chris. He and his wife Maria are wonderful people. I loved dinner with them.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
<snip>Tall people scare me. Sorry for not being more cordial. :)

BOO!

FZRguy
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Eric (BigE) is in the middle. And great job of leading the train up.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/Terri_Romaneschi/2009%20Moonlight%20Ride/005.jpg

Pandora-11
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
More of the same...photos.

Pandora-11
Mon Sep 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
A few more.

ChrisCBX
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I finally got to meet Chris. He and his wife Maria are wonderful people. I loved dinner with them.

Maria and I had a great time too. It was fun having dinner with you and Jim.:)

BigE
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Oh NOOOOZZZ! :shocked:My picture has been posted on the interwebz. Witness protection is not going to happy about relocating meez and the fam. Nice knowin' y'all. :scramble: :scatter::scramble:

But on a somewhat serious note...monthly moonlight madness ride? Whatcha all think, any takers????

I'm going to have to figure out how to install some KC Daylighters if we do this.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Oct4
06:11
Sun

Nov21
9:15
Mon

Dec20
7:33
Wed

Dec31
19:15
Thu

October might be the last one. If it snows I'm auto out. Night riding and black ice do not mix well.

JonnyD
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
It was great to meet you all! First ride for me with CSC, and it was one of the coolest rides I've ever been on.

Now, to find 3 more layers of clothes for that October ride..... (I'm in!)

Sean
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Doesn't Trail Ridge close soon anyway? I would think by the next full moon there would be snow up there. :dunno:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
They leave it open until cars have issues. I came over it in November once --- at night. We were at the Lariat Bar in Grand Lake watching a Bronco game. We had to keep our feet out and use them like outriggers coming across the north slope by where the ski area used to be. It was snow packed for about 200 yards.

Sean
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm open to less than perfect conditions....but, no thanks.

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Doesn't Trail Ridge close soon anyway? I would think by the next full moon there would be snow up there. :dunno:

[edit] Mid Oct closing according to the RMNP website.

And just a thought, it doesn't have to be Trail Ridge. I'm up for lower elevations too if conditions permit. Even Lookout Mtn in the middle of winter.

Bueller
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I say make it annual, while it was fun it is tough to get it done, and it gives something to look forward to.

mtnairlover
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Summer months, FTW! IMO

I loved the ride, just not the cold. Coulda used more layers, but early June through September would be what I'd do. Of course, I don't know that I'd be able to make all of them, but definitely at least one of them. Also opens it up to others who would be busy one month and not another. Most definitely a group moonlight ride is something to partake in.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
+1 for annual.

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
:cold::eyebrows:I'd say leave the option of October out there. I have heated gear and the beemah has heated grips! :P

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
:cold::eyebrows:I'd say leave the option of October out there. I have heated gear and the beemah has heated grips! :P

We should ride up to the Wondervu Cafe (CO 72 - Coal Creek) for mexican :drool: (Buller won't have to bail on their green). :D

Oct4
06:11
Sun

But do it Saturday. 10/3

kawasakirob
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Not a big fan of canyon night riding

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
A snowmobile ripping down a trail at night is pretty cool. Sometimes a little eerie:) Do not care so much about taking canyons at nighton a bike. Not to smart of an idea, to much crap can go wrong, especailly on a two lane.

There were may be thirty cars going BOTH directions all night. I think there were maybe 10 cars on Trail Ridge when we were up there. We didn't come up on, or have to pass, any cars going up or down Trail Ridge.

Oh, and I didn't see any wildlife on either side of the road in either direction. Not much can go wrong under those conditions.

asp_125
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Night pace < Day pace. Wondervu Cafe.. good idea.

FZRguy
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Not a big fan of canyon night riding

I would not do that ride alone. With all of us staying together tho, it worked and can be done safely. I’m for keeping the Trial Ridge ride an annual event, but interested in other night rides at lower elevation.

kawasakirob
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
There were may be thirty cars going BOTH directions all night. I think there were maybe 10 cars on Trail Ridge when we were up there. We didn't come up on, or have to pass, any cars going up or down Trail Ridge.

Oh, and I didn't see any wildlife on either side of the road in either direction. Not much can go wrong under those conditions.

Just don't care for night riding. I'll do it if I have to be somewhere and enjoy the stars and wierd shit while laying in the sleeping bag. Glad you guys enjoy it though.

kawasakirob
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Have been on some cool ones. Most memorable was a Paul Revere Midnight ride. check it out, sure they have some similar stuff out here.

http://www.mi-gmidnightriders.org/08midnight_ride.htm

BigE
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Actually, I was thinking some different destinations would be fun. Just maybe round up a group each full moon. I know I can't make them all but as everyone who went has said it was a cool experience.

Fwiw, I've gone over trail ridge on a Labor day weekend and came home thru 6 inches of snow up top. We're in CO folks snow/ bad weather can happen anywhere/anytime, case in point the ride thru the snow...in Loveland it was 75 deg. and high 60's in Grand Lake, just a touch of weather topside ;)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Actually, I was thinking some different destinations would be fun. Just maybe round up a group each full moon. I know I can't make them all but as everyone who went has said it was a cool experience.

Fwiw, I've gone over trail ridge on a Labor day weekend and came home thru 6 inches of snow up top. We're in CO folks snow/ bad weather can happen anywhere/anytime, case in point the ride thru the snow...in Loveland it was 75 deg. and high 60's in Grand Lake, just a touch of weather topside ;)

Oct = probably
November = maybe
December - February ----- no way in hell

kawasakirob
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Two days ago on Berthoud pass, a woman in a car hit a bull moose. Came through her windshield and snapped both her wrists. She was pinned in the car with the bull moving around until someone shot it. Just yesterday while driving home, I was getting on the on ramp to I70 near Morrison and about 1/4 mile out, 10pm. A cow Elk was crossing the road and I did not notice it until about 30ft. away. IT was on the other side, but pretty ironic considering we were ust talking about this. I was about a foot lower than its butt hole. Thats how big it was. Riding at night sucks, its dangerous as hell, and unless you are completely stoned or hammered, while getting spooked out of your mind at the shadows trying to grab you, it's no fun. Even then its kind of crazy. So much crap is unseen at night, it's a larger roll of the dice then riding in a damn traffic jam on I-25 in broad daylight. Unless you have about 2 Baja lights strapped on your bike.

asp_125
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Yep, it's that time of the season when big critters come down from the mountains.

dirkterrell
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Riding at night sucks, its dangerous as hell, and unless you are completely stoned or hammered, while getting spooked out of your mind at the shadows trying to grab you, it's no fun.

Odd. I wasn't stoned or hammered and had a blast. I've done quite a bit of riding at night. The VFR with high beams on lights things up very nicely.

Dirk

OUTLAWD
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Odd. I wasn't stoned or hammered and had a blast. I've done quite a bit of riding at night. The VFR with high beams on lights things up very nicely.

Dirk

I was COMPLETELY hammered...nobody caught me sneaking to the bar throwing back tequila shots...:drink:Its the only way I could have ever enjoyed it...

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I was COMPLETELY hammered...nobody caught me sneaking to the bar throwing back tequila shots...:drink:Its the only way I could have ever enjoyed it...

I tried to have a good time but the hit of four-way blotter didn't kick in until I got home and parked the bike in the garage. It didn't wear off until after the CU shellacking on Sunday night. :twisted:

j/k :D

kawasakirob
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM
The VFR with high beams on lights things up very nicely.

Dirk

Bright lights are a plus. And until mine get brighter or use the aid of some big ass ones, there is not a big urge to go recreational night riding. It just not appealing to ride with the reigns pulled( even though it it is not that much). The constant state of being on guard, constantly looking for shit that would normally be no big deal during the day, is pointless to me. Just to enjoy that "rush" of going 10mph or more slower than the speed limit at night is not appealing, although to others, it may be. Maybe some people get off at the sight of seeing animals on the side of the road at night while being on a bike? Who knows? Less cars- definetly, more foreign shit-totally. Strap 2 baja lights to a helmet and it's fair game. Like I said, I'll cruise the night on a trip where I have to make time, but for recreational riding? Save the miles for when you can actually enjoy what you are looking at, other than the road and the object(s) 10 feet off of it.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Bright lights are a plus. <snip>Just to enjoy that "rush" of going 10mph or more slower than the speed limit at night <snip>Maybe some people get off at the sight of seeing animals on the side of the road at night while being on a bike?

You'd have been disappointed. For the most part we never went slower than the posted speed and I didn't see any animals (well the bat that damn near flew into my helmet in downtown Estes :D

kawasakirob
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
You'd have been disappointed. For the most part we never went slower than the posted speed and I didn't see any animals (well the bat that damn near flew into my helmet in downtown Estes :D

Just not my thing- Recreational night riding

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM

/cool

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Would love to join you guys if you go at the beginning of Oct.

Bueller
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Riding at night sucks, its dangerous as hell, and unless you are completely stoned or hammered, while getting spooked out of your mind at the shadows trying to grab you, it's no fun. Even then its kind of crazy. So much crap is unseen at night, it's a larger roll of the dice then riding in a damn traffic jam on I-25 in broad daylight. Unless you have about 2 Baja lights strapped on your bike.
Your opinion, shared by some but not really anyone in this thread. By all means don't bother coming on any of the rides. Wildlife is a constant hazard, risk management, as with all other facets of motorcycling.
As I stated before, a night ride (moon or no moon) on a dirt bike, is one of the most intense rushes you can have, and fun doesn't even start to describe it. You just need to get your mind right, and don't be day(night) dreaming :)

ChrisCBX
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Critters along mountain roads are always something to look out for. I had an up close, near miss with a full grown bull moose near the top of Cameron Pass. The loud pipes I was using on one of my CBX's may have saved me from a serious accident. When I was mid way through the bend, I saw the moose was already sliding to a stop on one side of the road.:shocked:

Good lights and focused attention are definitely needed to spot problems at night.

I found a little bit of a berm and took this pic of the moose as he continued on his way.........

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/Cbxnut/DSCN3229_edited.jpg

asp_125
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Night riding is just... different. It's not the pace of a day ride, but it doesn't always mean slow. It's more a social ride than anything. Not everyone's cup of tea.

kawasakirob
Wed Sep 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Your opinion, shared by some but not really anyone in this thread. By all means don't bother coming on any of the rides. Wildlife is a constant hazard, risk management, as with all other facets of motorcycling.
As I stated before, a night ride (moon or no moon) on a dirt bike, is one of the most intense rushes you can have, and fun doesn't even start to describe it. You just need to get your mind right, and don't be day(night) dreaming :)

Totally agree. Had plenty of night rides while working for a motorized trail crew on dirt scooters, and every ride was great. Anyway, you guys sound like a tight knit group, and it would be my pleasure to stay away and not disrupt any of the chi. Who knew motorcycling could be so dangerous? :)

mtnairlover
Thu Sep 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Ok...so finally got the Interwebz at the new place.

Here's a few of the pix I tried to take while stopped at the parking lot on Trail Ridge...

Lovely night for a moonlight walk...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/moonlightwalk.jpg

Bike parking by moonlight...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/moonlightbikeparking.jpg

Scratches, er Zed by moonlight;-)
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/moonoverkawi.jpg

BigE
Fri Sep 11th, 2009, 12:45 AM

Wow, the first reasonable and relevant post from you.
Sorry, but I don't see why you're bagging on night riding so much when 1) you didn't go on the ride on the 5th and 2) you're posting after the fact and not even paying attention to the comments of how fun/cool/exciting it was to actually ride at night.

Fwiw, there was one elk that went across ahead of us, in front of one of the few cars we followed into Estes. I've had more (ok, deer not elk) cross my path in the foothills around Ft. Collins. If you ride in the mountains in CO you had better expect wildlife besides two-wheeled speeding squids, even in the daytime.