PDA

View Full Version : Ipod to pc transfers?

Supa77
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:30 PM
So the other night I left my ipod plugged into my computer to charge over night. When I woke up the next morning and went to my itunes, everything was gone. :( I still have my older ipod with most of my library on it. Anyone know how (or any good software to use) to transfer my library from my older ipod to my pc so I can put it back on my newer ipod?

Zach929rr
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Anapod. I can Yousendit to you tomorrow.

Supa77
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Yousendit??? Sorry not the best with computer lingo and programs, but sounds good if it will work. Thanks!

Zach929rr
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yousendit.com Just an easy way to send stuff to people. I upload it and it emails you a link to d/l it. PM me your email.

Supa77
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 09:46 PM
pm sent. Thank you!

Mel
Sun Aug 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
You can also have the computer just read the iPod as a drive...you'll right click on it, tell it to show hidden folders. Apple encrypts them with stupid file names, so you can't tell what they are, but if you copy them all to your drive, as long as they were tagged, when you load them back into iTunes it'll do all the renaming jazz for you. Can be done without installing any software or anything. :-)

~Barn~
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM
If you don't get it sorted out how you want it Gene, download a (free) program called Winamp, at www.winamp.com (http://www.winamp.com), and gimme a call.

Devaclis
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Winamp FTW!

Shea
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Winamp FTW!

^^^^ +a brazillion

MetaLord 9
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but I haven't found that WinAmp's any good at pulling songs off the iPod that I put on there with iTunes. Not sure if there's a copyright thing going there or if it's just user ineptitude. WinAmp is great, but it's still a bit buggy for me. I'll load a playlist or two onto the 'pod and then one song won't play on the list. If I scrub & reload, a different song won't play. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

~Barn~
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I can help you with that, Chris.

For starters (if you haven't done it yet), download the ML iPod plugin for Winamp (V3.08 here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlipod/files/mlipod/3.08/iPod_Support_v3_08.exe/download)) and see if the various tools it provides, help you sort out your transfer issues. Some M4P to MP3 conversion might be needed, but that's not terribly hard to do.

Also, what is probably causing the glitches on playlisting, is iTunes more than anything else. That software is like AOL for the MP3 world. Please stop the spread. ;)

Seriously though. I've been managing my audio files or over a decade now with Winamp, and more recently my iPod syncing over the past few years. It's robust software to be sure, but once you get everything dialed in the way you like it, it's money.

MetaLord 9
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I've largely given up on iTunes & really haven't used it in the past 4-6 months since I jumped back into WinAmp. I used to use WinAmp at the start of the mp3 movement back in the mid 90's but swtiched to iTunes at the urging of an ex-roommate who's all hard for macs.

I'm not going from WinAmp to iTunes and the music on the playlists has been entirely downloaded onto the PC with WinAmp, so there's no cross uploading of songs within the playlist, which is why I'm a bit perplexed as to why I'm getting spotty uploads. I'll fire up the ML plugin when I get home, Barn. Thanks!

Shea
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
There's your problem. Never trust the "Macs are god and I get wood every time I talk about them" crowd. :)

~Barn~
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
One thing that might help, is open up your music folder in Windows, and do a search for *.m4a

If you've ripped any music using iTunes in the past, or if you have other people's music, who may have ripped with iTunes, there is a chance you have some m4a music files. They can easily be changed over to MP3s, but why Apple hates freedom, is beyond me.

Also, it's very important (once you make a playlist), to never change the file in any way, and that includes renaming it, moving it to a different location, changing any of the Metadata of the file, or even renaming the folder that it resides in. If you "target" the playlist file as being X, and then something, even something very slight, changes with that target, it (more than likely) won't play, and just get skipped over by Winamp.

Of couse that's easy to fix by just removing it and readding it to Winamp's Media Library, and then doing the same to your playlist, post manipulation; but after awhile, that becomes a headache to keep doing.

Anyway.... G'luck man. Lemme know if something's glitchy still. We'll sort it out.

MetaLord 9
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Will do, thanks!

For the record, I've tried creating a second playlist with the exact sames songs & order and the same songs rotate randomly through "not gonna make the iPod transfer" status.

I'll check it out later this evening when I get home!

Devaclis
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM
It just works.

Canuck
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM
One thing that might help, is open up your music folder in Windows, and do a search for *.m4a
but why Apple hates freedom, is beyond me.

How else do you expect them to honour the contracts with the music industry.

Like them or not, they -AAPL- where able to turn the industry 180 degrees in starting the digital format craze. By having a simple and stylish player. Add a simple and user friendly format. Add industry backing for legal downloads. You have a sucessful formula that changed the way media is now distributed, bought and sold.

Shea
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
... but why Apple hates freedom, is beyond me.

Control is love.

MetaLord 9
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
How else do you expect them to honour the contracts with the music industry.

Like them or not, they -AAPL- where able to turn the industry 180 degrees in starting the digital format craze. By having a simple and stylish player. Add a simple and user friendly format. Add industry backing for legal downloads. You have a sucessful formula that changed the way media is now distributed, bought and sold.
I'd go less with "changed the way media is distributed, bought, and sold" and more with exploited the growing trend. Lots of places were offering paid music downloads before the iPod hit the scene. Apple just dumped a stadium full of money on the trend and grewthemselves a cash tree. Not saying it was a bad move on their part, but I think things were going there anyway, the revolution had already started

Devaclis
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Apple does not hate freedom. Apple is a business and is in business to make money for its shareholders. It does a VERY good job at it.

The recording industry is in the same business. They are also very good at it.

We, as cheap ass cheap-asses want everything for free so we do not like the fact that we have to pay for not only music, but the device we play it on.

Amrca. It is your country.

Canuck
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
We, as cheap ass cheap-asses want everything for free so we do not like the fact that we have to pay for not only music, but the device we play it on.

Amrca. It is your country.

I think that just about sum's it up.

Devaclis
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I am good at that.

Now, you owe me tree fiddy

Canuck
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
:lol:

Supa77
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I could not get the Anapod program to work. I just downloaded Winamp, but wont be able to mess with it much today before work. Thanks for the help guys!

Barn I'll hit ya up if I get stuck. Thanks!

GixxerCarrie
Mon Aug 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Me too...I'm having the same damn issue Gene!