PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Powersports Thorton

dm_gsxr
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Since I do my own service most of the time, I don't have to deal with the guys in the back. Same with buying a bike. The last time I bought a bike from the dealer was the Harley back in 2001.

But I do deal with the parts guys when I'm looking for something or when I drop in to get oil or other consumable.

I've dealt with Mike at Colorado Powersports in Thorton for several years now. He's been helpful with Rita in her search for boots and other gear and quite helpful in getting me the parts I need for the 'busa.

Today he outdid himself though.

I'm currently in North Dakota. On my way out of Medora and the campground Monday morning I made a boo-boo and dropped the 'busa again. Unfortunately this was in the street instead of the normal places for me (in the dirt) and the clutch lever broke. It wasn't the end of the bar break that's the problem though. It's the round bit that pushes in the master cylinder pin.

I tried JB Weld (failed) and crazy glue + bailing wire (failed). Eventually I started called dealers. First local to me here in Belfield ND then farther out. I'd planned on calling Mike to have him help in the search but they weren't open yet. When they did open, I called and got a different parts guy who said he didn't have the part.

So I called the Boulder guys. The parts guy was more than willing to help with my search so I left him calling around while I continued calling. He called me back within a few minutes and let me know that Mike had the part and would be calling me.

Wait a minute. I called Thorton first and they didn't have the part. So I called back and spoke specifically to Mike. Sure enough he has the part and doesn't know why the other guy said they didn't have it. After a minute of making sure he did have it and going over the shipping options, the part should be in my hands tomorrow morning.

I thanked him profusely and will take him out for a beer when I get back. I then called them back and spoke to the owner (Roger?) and let him know what a great parts guy Mike is.

Heck, when I call CPS again, I'll always speak with Mike and if he leaves, I'll be following him to the new dealer. A good parts guy is hard to find and he should be rewarded.

Carl

Ricky
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Wish I could say I've had the same experiences up there. They've been pretty mixed. That includes the store in Boulder.

When I took my MSF class, I was told I could come in anytime and use my MSF card to get 10% off of a single item. When I went to use it, they refused. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed, and they lost a sale. I ended up just buying the same thing at Sun, and even stranger, it was cheaper at Sun.

Their service department, on the other hand, has been nothing but top notch for me. They are outstanding.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM
COPS Boulder isn't a Cycles of Boulder.

nuff said.

dm_gsxr
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
COPS Boulder isn't a Cycles of Boulder.

nuff said.

So Webman's problem was with Cycles of Boulder and not CoPS? 'nuff wasn't quite said :)

Honestly, I've had problems with several members of the Powersports dealerships. Yea I know they're all independent but it seems they are all pretty much the same. Kids with ATVs and dirt bikes and of course GSXRs. Not many know much beyond that. That's why I pointed out just the parts part and Mike. This isn't the first instance of him being a big help and in looking over my initial post, even the first call to CoPS Denver turned up empty. It was calling and speaking with Mike specifically that got me the part. That's why I'd follow Mike to his next job. It's not the dealership that does a great job. It's the people. And Mike's one to deal with.

Carl

Ricky
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Huh??? I'm confused now. I purchased my first bike from COPS boulder, and had a lot of the maintenance done in Northglenn. I've had good/bad experiences with both. When I bought my Ninja 250 there, the dude that was helping me told me there was "no way" the Ninja 250 had 6 gears. Here I am, the noob, and I knew more about the bike than the salesman...