PDA

View Full Version : Got Latitude on your phone?

Spiderman
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Just curious how many people are sharing their location using Google Latitude on their phones?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Latitude is built into the mobile version of Google Maps (http://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html), and lets you see where your friends are (if your phone doesn't have a built in GPS, or if GPS isn't available (ie: you're indoors), it uses triangulation to approximate your location). You must have a Google Account (either gmail, or an account created for another email address) in order for it to work. It looks something like this:

http://www.google.com/latitude/images/screen2-large.gif

DevilsTonic
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I don't have latitude, but I'm on Loopt.

Mother Goose
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
That's scary.

Keepitgreen
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
That's scary.

Yup..

DevilsTonic
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Loopt does an on demand location update, so it's not updating your location without you knowing about it. Not sure about latitude.

Spiderman
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Ya, I don't know if I'd want my location available to just anybody... Similar to a private profile on MySpace & Facebook, you have to accept somebody's friend request before they can see you, and even then, you can choose to hide or share your location on a contact-by-contact basis.

Keepitgreen
Loopt does an on demand location update, so it's not updating your location without you knowing about it. Not sure about latitude.

For what phones?

Devaclis
Most of the time I don't even know where I am.

Spiderman
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Latitude is either real-time, or not at all (based on the hide/share setting you have for each friend).

Spiderman
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I found this comment about Loopt - it kinda contradicts what you're saying - any chance you can clarify?

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r22581406-loopt-vs-google-latitude[/URL]"]... ur location is updated to your friends when they request it

rforsythe
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Now if they could just have that auto-update your twitter page ("I'm driving..." or "I'm now moving west at 42mph"), so that you can keep your friends knowing every detail about your life that nobody really cares about anyway.

DevilsTonic
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I found this comment about Loopt - it kinda contradicts what you're saying - any chance you can clarify?No your location can be requested by your friends pinging you, but your location isn't available or revealed unless you manually go update it.

Snowman
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Dude it’s bad enough that I have to line the inside of my helmet with tin foil to keep “them” from finding me. I don’t need to advertise my every move.

gtn
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I use it when I'm on rides. That way Rae can tell that I'm still moving. :)

Spiderman
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I use it when I'm on rides. That way Rae can tell that I'm still moving. :)
I was actually thinking about the potential safety aspect that this could serve... if somebody is riding solo, and goes MIA, this might be one way to locate them.

Pandora-11
Fri Aug 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Wow.....I don't want Facebook, mySpace, Twitter, or this. Being on a forum is way too much info for me. Is it a generational thing or the need to not be stalked? Or is it the thought that my every movement and thought is just not that important in the scheme of life? Self-esteem issue?
No...I don't want this. I prefer to sneak around. lol:)