PDA

View Full Version : HID Bulbs for your bike

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Mar 15th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Has anyone purchased HID light bulbs on ebay? I'm looking to put some new lights on my bike and don't know if i will have to make any modifications if i buy online. Any help?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Mar 15th, 2005, 12:30 PM
OH C'mon people! WTF??? :x

Player 2
Tue Mar 15th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Here's some info for ya.... You can't just buy HID bulbs. You have to convert your lighting system.
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/mothidsinkit.html

HID/xenon conversions can done to almost all vehicles. There are a few limitations which are the following. High/low bulbs (two filament bulbs such as H-4, 9007 will lose their ability for High beam. This is because the HID bulb is only a one beam bulb it can not function as a dual high/low beam. Only one or the other.

To convert a car or motorcycle to be HID equipped, you must purchase or use the following units. Ballasts (amplifiers), Igniters (if not built into ballast), Hid bulbs, and 20 amp fuses (for startup).

If your car or bike uses a sealed halogen beam you will need a sealed beam conversion. Other options include wiring harness, upgraded factory harnesses, and relays.

dgoldan
Wed Mar 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I've had pretty good luck with some aftermarket bulbs by Eurodezigns, but they're not HID. Higher wattage and a white/blue tint. Have them in my R1 and had them in my wife's Seca II.

Quick636
Wed Mar 16th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Just be careful that you buy the same wattage bulbs that your stock ones are. Higher wattage bulbs run hotter which can melt your headlight housing and/or your wiring harness.

I think I bought Eurolight bulbs (20 bucks for a pair) and they were the correct wattage and a nice bright white light.